Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Brickset Bonusball Bonanza - Snowhitie editon - UK draw 07/04/2108

snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,804

Easter Holiday for lots of kids at the moment, and some (lucky) parents. I love spending time with my son and like doing lots of things. Obviously building and playing with Lego, but also playing board games, watching films, baking, ... But sometimes there are activities I don't fancy so much. Like watching Paw Patrol, seen one seen them all in my opinion but he still loves it. I'm curious to know, what do you like doing with your kids and what do you do just because you love them.

For those without kids, maybe there's a nephew or niece you sometimes watch over, but if that's not the case, maybe just a friend or relative of any age you spend a lot of time with and sometimes do something you don't really want too.

The rules, write your answer below and the first 59 entrants will get a number, please try to avoid double posting until we got 59 entries. This is open worldwide.  And the bonus ball from the UK lottery on Saturday night will decide the winner. The prize is a Cyborg from S16 or one of the TLBM figs from serie 1 I've got double if you are after any of those.

I'm starting to run low on things to send out and we can't make @SumoLego do all the other bonusballs, so if you fancy hosting one, let me know!

Good luck all!

BumblepantsFowlerBricksricecakeMr_CrossMAGNINOMINISUMBRALobotSumoLegoSeijiAmasawastluxBricklover18LegoboyMuftak1TheOriginalSimonBRenegade007cjhGothamConstructionCoCOOLEGO

Comments

• historymanhistoryman Member Posts: 347
    I love all the time I get to spend with my niece and I really hate saying bye and knowing I won’t see her again for a few weeks
    snowhitie
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,404
    I love doing anything with my boy. He's 4 and is just a total hoot to be with, even when he gets grumpy it's funny.

If I had to choose one thing though it would be having a fun day out to the beach or countryside for a picnic.
    snowhitie
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,579
    My little brother is already super creative with his Lego pieces. It's always fun to help him build, even when it's not a holiday! :)
    snowhitie
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,589
    My older kids are finally able to play board games we adults also like so that is a lot of fun. Getting really weary of Wild Kratts on Netflix but they love it and know all kinds of animal facts I don't have any idea about so at least they are learning stuff.
    snowhitie
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,409
    Errrr. Can I tell you 4 months time, when my first drops out?
    Switchfoot55BumblepantsSumoLegoMuftak1davetheoxygenmansnowhitieTheOriginalSimonBmak0137AllBrick
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 475
    edited April 2018
    Mine is definitely a nice relaxing day at the beach! Oregon has some beautiful coastlines!!!
    snowhitie
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    My boy has always loved playing with my lightsaber, unfortunately having only one I'm comfortable striking with we have not had any "battles" so I've ordered a few more so we can really play. 

Aside from that we often play with lego cars and play in his castle outside. 
    snowhitie
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 462
    As a non-parent I don't often have to do things I don't want to do :-D
    FowlerBricksMAGNINOMINISUMBRASumoLegosnowhitie
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    I don't have kids but I do have 4 nephews, but they live several states away, so I don't see them very often. When I do, it's always fun to help them build their LEGO sets or listen to them tell me all about Star Wars.
    snowhitie
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,023
    I play a lot of boardgames with my children. Mostly HABA stuff at the moment but the older one also enjoys Sushi Go & King of Tokyo.

I put up with sitting cuddling them while they watch Ben & Holly. Peppa Pig on the other hand.....
    snowhitie
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,507
    Used to look after my cousins when younger.

A year or so ago, one said he remembered me being a giant when he was younger, I suppose  I was 6 foot tall and regularly carried a couple of them around at a time, lol.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAsnowhitie
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,387
    I love "exploring" with my kids on their breaks. The adventures they come up with in their minds are so much better than any video game or movie. I think that's when I have the most fun with them. Along with that, I absolutely love reading with my kids. My son has started reading on his own and it has been such a joy to watch him read to his sisters now. He is currently on break and has decided on his own to read for 30 minutes a day in his room. He's 5. Pretty sure I've never willingly done such a thing!

I "love" watching the same movie/show for the Nth time because it's their favorite. I'm able to appreciate pretty much anything in life. But a soul can only take in PJ Mask or Daniel Tiger so many times...
    snowhitie
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 296
    I love spending time with my (almost) two year old daughter - usually what we do is dictated by her demands! She loves playing with ‘Lego robot!’, as she calls Vernie from Boost.

She also likes rummaging through my big jar of minifigures, but I then have to spend quite a while matching all the hats, heads, torsos and legs together again afterwards!
    FowlerBrickssnowhitie
  • alldarkeralldarker NetherlandsMember Posts: 209
    My son is almost 2 years old, but he already loves Lego, even more than Duplo, and he even loves Technic Lego! ‘Machines’ are his absolute favorite, especially the 8043 Digger! He also loves the Old Fishing Store. And whenever I’m building Lego, he loves sitting on my lap and ‘helping’ me build. I don’t think either of us could be much happier than when we are building together.
    snowhitie
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,085
    What did I love to do with my kids? Read to them! That lasted almost to high school for both. Harry Potter, Watership Down, Dragon Singer/Song/Drums. What did I do because I loved them? Make them behave and be respectful. 
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAFowlerBrickssnowhitieTheOriginalSimonB
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 586
    Well... I've got no kids, still in school. Let's see. I've got friends who suck at physics and I don't, so I don't want to help them with homework but I do it anyways. 
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAsnowhitie
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    What don't we do because we love them?

What do I enjoy doing with them?  Bed time springs to mind.  ;)

MAGNINOMINISUMBRASwitchfoot55SumoLegosnowhitieGothamConstructionCo
  • TheLegoMaster35TheLegoMaster35 OH, USAMember Posts: 254
    listening to my sister’s weird music. I don’t understand half of it, which is one of my peeves. 
    snowhitie
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 928
    edited April 2018
    I love building LEGO with my two. My six year old doesn't need me much anymore and I have to encourage my little girl, but when we build something, it's really cool. We had a great charity shop find of a Saturn V and built it as a family, it was brilliant.

The stuff I'm not so keen on are mealtimes and the before school chores, I feel like a proper nag and I feel that despite my best efforts it sometimes becomes a bit of a negatively reinforced cycle of inactivity on their part... I mostly manage to be encouraging, but it wears me down a bit.

Thanks for hosting again!
    snowhitiemak0137
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 977
    Thanks for hosting @snowhitie! As always - great question.
    Ive just finished coaching my first season for my 10 yr olds Baseball team.  I've had to go through Blue card clearance, Level 3 coaching accreditation and somehow along the way I've also been dragged into Umpiring (and its accreditation) both Junior and Masters Baseball.
     This time last year, I'd seen one of his games in my life (in fact the ONLY  Baseball game I'd ever seen) and my knowledge of the game was limited to watching Major League and the Naked Gun films.
      Strangely, something I had zero interest in but he loved has nearly taken over my life and turned into something I really love doing. 
    As far as LEGO goes?  Something I've enjoyed sharing with all three of mine over the last 20 years...
    snowhitie
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,086
    My little boy is only 7months so most of it at the minute is because we love him - but singing Baby Shark every time he gets fussy is up there...anyone who doesn’t know it, youtube it! I hate that song but he loves it......

At the minute we’re going through weaning and I find meal times can be incredibly entertaining as he tries new food - some of the surprising favourites are garlic bread, pineapple and poppadoms!
    Toc13snowhitie
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 925

Taking them to TRU.... doh!

snowhitie
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,589
    edited April 2018
    Great question - considering I had to torture (and detain) my children a couple of afternoons at work this week.

"Your computer has Netflix!?!?! THIS is why you spend so much time at work!"

Anyway, nothing makes me happier than watching my daughter muscling her way around on a soccer field, and nothing aggravates me more than watching my son faking his way around on a soccer field.  

Perhaps only to be matched by my son muscling his was around a Mario Kart track (talking all sorts of trash), and my daughter 'helping' the slow computer racers in the same race.

However, I have become a master of sneaking a headphone into my ear so I don't have to pay attention to "Fuller House", "Mako Mermaids" or any of those terrible Pokemon cartoon shows.  I hate those shows.  

Thank you for hosting @snowhitie!
    snowhitie said:
    ...we can't make @SumoLego do all the other bonusballs...
    I don't mind - but nobody will ever catch up to my 'Likes' tally... Bwahahahahahahahahaha!
    BumblepantsToc13davetheoxygenmansnowhitieRenegade007cjhLegoboy
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,392
    Like: cycling, craft, drawing and painting, museums, reading.

Not like: Peppa Pig, Paw Patrol. Probably anything called PP.

snowhitieBumblepants
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    I don’t have any kids and I’m the youngest of the cousins so I’m stuck on this one!
    BrickByBricksnowhitie
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 353
    I go to work because I love them.
    snowhitieMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • iliketoastiliketoast AustraliaMember Posts: 254
    I’ve lost count how many times that I’ve watched Moana, Sing and Trolls.... 
    snowhitie
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 1,194
    My daughter is 7½, she goes through phases of watching programs I find irritating. Currently its Alvin & the Chipmunks, before that it was back to back Izzy's toy time on youtube, an annoying American family with stupid voices that build huge Brio train tracks for their son Bub. She'll binge watch these programs for several weeks and then suddenly drop them and find something new to watch. Although tonight she'd found some episodes of "How its made" which are far better to watch!

The list of things we do together that I like is far larger though. LEGO obviously (there is currently a big train track winding round the lounge ready for tomorrow morning) She likes going out in our 70s Beetle or Camper to classic car shows. Geo-caching and hunting for painted rocks. Reading books together. Boardgames

If you need another host, I'm happy to take a week @snowhitie
    snowhitie
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,143
    For me Easter has sort of become going to my dad's to watch the newest Star Wars movie which he usually hasn't seen yet and then eating dinner there.
    FowlerBricks
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 315
    I've been a stay at home dad for almost 10 years now and have gone through many phases with my kids. I've usually enjoyed whatever they've enjoyed, but I'm often happy when they grow out of a phase. I do not miss Daniel Tiger or Super Why. It has been fun for me to introduce them to old shows, movies, and music. I like to see how they react to my favorites.

As for something I do only because I love my son- Long Division. 
    FowlerBrickssnowhitie
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 331
    edited April 2018
    I "play" quite a bit with my 2 year old son (although not as much as he would like). He isn't old enough for Lego, but we actually got him a Duplo Mickey Mouse train set that he loves for Easter. 

As for things I get tired of... watching Disney jr ALL THE TIME!!! It's actually on right as I'm typing this.
    SumoLegosnowhitie
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 453
    Playing football with my eldest (9yo)
    Making Lego cages for my 5yo lego dinosaur collection. (He missed out on the JW sets but is looking forward to getting ALL the JW:FK sets!
    My daughter (3yo) just likes sitting on my lap and watching Peppa or Paw Patrol
    snowhitie
  • cmrt1014cmrt1014 Member Posts: 396
    DS is 17.  I’ve been really enjoying watching him go through the college application/selection process.  He really takes the time and considers lots of pros and cons of each of his choices.  He made what are now really clearly good choices, for him, at the application phase, and now has very solid choices at the pick one phase.  But, in reality, it’s how he lives life.  Such a joy to watch and be a part of.

Thanks for hosting, @snowhitie, always a fun contest!
    snowhitie
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,719
    I have exactly one young cousin, but he's half the US away...
    snowhitie
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,311
    Love seeing movies with my kids (went to see Ready Player One with my 11 year old daughter and loved it). Watching shows like PJ Masks over and over again on Netflix with my 3 year old not so much.
    snowhitieCaptainPirateMan
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,669
    Like - all sleeping at night time at the same time.
    Have to - getting up at 5:30 (though it does give me a bit of brickset scrolling time...)
    snowhitie
  • carnage717carnage717 U.S.AMember Posts: 166
    other than legos I like playing hot wheels with my nephews, I've even bought some of the old hot wheels cities for him
    snowhitie
  • CoviCovi BelgiumMember Posts: 285
    What I don't like but do because I love them: we're playing and suddenly they want to do something else while I was enjoying it really much more then the next thing they want to do.
    snowhitieRenegade007cjh
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,252
    No offspring of our own, but we have got a few friends and relatives we have borrowed over the years - and another one due in October.

Because we only see most of them rarely pretty much anything we do together is cherished.  But the one thing that does wind me up is sticky kids.  Clear the table after dinner and one glass will be nearly opaque with fingerprints, and those same hands are now climbing on my sofa or touching books.  And please, if you want me to take nice pictures of your kids do wipe their nose and get the chocolate cleaned off their face first...
    snowhitie
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    Rugby with both my kids, cycling with my son and swimming with my daughter, although it was a massive kick in the teeth when she could swim a length faster than me. I still have the edge on sprinting across a rugby pitch (for now).
    snowhitie
  • brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 425
    My eldest is really getting into netball so shooting practice in the garden is great. My youngest on the other hand always wants to play teachers or mums and dads. To be fair though I did get star of the week for my reading last week....

thanks for hosting @snowhitie
  • mak0137mak0137 VirginiaMember Posts: 249
    Building and sorting Lego together. And vacationing especially going to a beach.
    snowhitie
  • MudkipDoomMudkipDoom United KingdomMember Posts: 32
    I enjoy building Lego with younger relatives but really dislike it when they tip Lego all over the floor, get board and move on leaving it for me to clean up.
    snowhitie
  • eanaireanair IrelandMember Posts: 137
    Watching Tractor Ted in the Springtime again, and again and again.
    Seriously he doesn't watch it just once - Has to be three times 
    snowhitie
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 683
    No kids here. But back in the 80s I remember my younger brother had a habit of watching a particular film repeatedly (like, every day)! It always seemed to be that, no matter what time I went in the sitting room, it would be on the same scene!  So, to start with it would be Bill & Ted every day for a week or two, then he’d switch to the live-action TMNT movie, then the sequel, then Hawk the Slayer (still love that film!), then something else… then back to Bill & Ted… fun times! :(
    snowhitie
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 831
    I like to try to inflict my musical taste on them by inserting old songs into their playlists in the car or at home!
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 891
    I love most things with my 5 yo. We are playing with Lego star wars now, we play Lego minecraft and every night have some Lego Dimensions time together. Watching the Minecraft you tubers drives me crazy sometimes - they just talk s**t most of the time!
    FowlerBrickssnowhitie
  • pantboypantboy EnglandMember Posts: 210
    I love playing multiplayer computer games with my kids, I used to enjoy it more when they were younger and I could actually beat them but still have a lot of fun even now I can't win at mariokart.
    snowhitieFowlerBricks
  • Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen Somewhere behind all the boxes of LegoMember Posts: 300
    Best thing - seeing them discover something new that they like. 
    Worst thing - frozen soundtrack. Followed by the film. Was good the first few times, but now...... *shudder*
    snowhitieFowlerBricks
  • Matt89190Matt89190 UKMember Posts: 273
    Little kids can be great fun to play games with, but when they get near the Lego and their destructive tendencies kick in, there tend to be problems...
    FowlerBricks