Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

BendyBadger Brickset BonusBall (Easter Holiday Edition) (03-31-2018)

2»

Comments

• SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    I used to find hidden plastic eggs at my Grandparents house, empty their contents of sweets, and leave the empty eggs for my cousins to find...
    SumoLego
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 321
    Watching Christmas movies for the 4th of July.
    SumoLego
  • COOLEGOCOOLEGO B'ham/SolihullMember Posts: 181
    Only Easter tradition we had when growing up was my brother and I building towers using our Easter eggs, to see who’s was the tallest
    SumoLego
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,254
    Apart from feasting on chocolate at any time of the day or night, the only other Easter tradition is to get a nice big leg of lamb to roast. Ours is sat in the fridge waiting to be cooked later along with all the usual roast trimmings.....until my mum invited us over for dinner tonight.

Me: whats on the menu?
    Mum: I thought a nice roast?
    Me: great, we had one planned too, but it'll keep. Shall I bring the mint sauce?
    mum: you can, but it doesn't really go with the turkey I'm cooking.....

SO we're having a second roast on Monday now!
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRASumoLegosnowhitie
  • MudkipDoomMudkipDoom United KingdomMember Posts: 36
    My family never did an Easter egg hunt instead eggs would be left at the foot of our beds, like Christmas.
    SumoLego
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,546
    edited April 2018
    Funny how traditions develop. I can't think of anything specific or traditional my folks do beyond the usual, chocolate eggs, turkey dinner, etc... But I'll definitely take that over being stripped, beaten, force marched through crowded streets to be nailed to a tree.

They did things very differently back in the day. 
    SumoLegosnowhitieMAGNINOMINISUMBRAbandit778
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 799
    Last weekend was the Cheng Beng festival for us Chinese, and we visit the graves of our ancestors to clean them as well as offer a variety of food, and burn incense to ensure their continued prosperity in the afterlife.
    SumoLegoSpeedman29MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • ravendragonwingravendragonwing Member Posts: 143
    no weird traditions at my house, just the normal basket full of LEGO and candy.

SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,844
    edited April 2018
    Sat down to watch 'Jesus Christ - Superstar' and the first question from a room full of family was:

"Why is everyone singing?"

Followed by...

"Is this about Jesus?"

And so I turned the channel back to 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' on TNT.  There was some grousing from the room, as 'Iron Man 3' was on FX.

I did get to watch my ten favorite scenes from the 'Ten Commandments' yesterday, in between episodes of Daredevil S1, so I was content.
    snowhitieLEGOFan2
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,546
    ^ Ah yes, The one about a mystery miracle child with amazing powers who grows up to oppose evil, but despite best intentions seems to just make things worse, and then despairs.

Or there's Jesus Christ Superstar, but there's much less by way of lightsabers in that one.

:0P
    SumoLegosnowhitieMAGNINOMINISUMBRAstluxbandit778Muftak1
    (Still need a couple of more entries!)
    BumblepantsBrickByBrick
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,760
    Yeah what happened to people missing the cutoff? Has our population fallen that low? Last several bonus balls there have been 3-5 unclaimed spots.
    I didn't set a cut-off, because I missed the cut-off for posting the draw in the first place...

It'll be tonight.  Hopefully!
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,819
    edited April 2018
    Maybe people see more than 59 posts and then skip it?

Like to react to @CaptainPirateMan I'm raised Catholic too. Here in Belgium the easter chocolate is very much part of the tradition. The bunny thing is a more recent influence (like Halloween here). When I was a kid we were told that bells of Rome brought the chocolate on the way back to Rome. You know how the bells are silent in the run up to Easter over there? So the story is they are actually not there at all and that when they are returning to joyously proclaim Easter they drop of chocolate eggs on the way. The Easter bunny comes from the protestant belief I think but I just tell my kid the bells drop the eggs and the easter bunny comes and helps.

We don't just get eggs usually but also chocolate in the shape of these bells and in the shape of chickens and bunnies.

Anyway, it's totally up to you off course, but wanted to share the story. Good luck with the decisons!
    CaptainPirateMan
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,099
    There is a single spot remaining unless I miscounted or missed a double post on page one.
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 683
    edited April 2018
    Have fond memories of being a child (many moons ago!) when we had an entire cupboard in the kitchen dedicated to chocolate at Easter as presents from relatives and family friends.  Alas, these days I have to make due with a single, solitary Double Decker (and yes, the irony is not lost on me)!

Kudos to @SumoLego for stepping in!!
    snowhitie
  • Game_onGame_on USAMember Posts: 90
    Can't say we had any unusual traditions growing up or that carried over. 

Paint eggs, hide eggs, kids find eggs then search for their baskets. 

Pretty cut and dry really. 
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 334
    snowhitie said:
    Maybe people see more than 59 posts and then skip it?

Like to react to @CaptainPirateMan I'm raised Catholic too. Here in Belgium the easter chocolate is very much part of the tradition. The bunny thing is a more recent influence (like Halloween here). When I was a kid we were told that bells of Rome brought the chocolate on the way back to Rome. You know how the bells are silent in the run up to Easter over there? So the story is they are actually not there at all and that when they are returning to joyously proclaim Easter they drop of chocolate eggs on the way. The Easter bunny comes from the protestant belief I think but I just tell my kid the bells drop the eggs and the easter bunny comes and helps.

We don't just get eggs usually but also chocolate in the shape of these bells and in the shape of chickens and bunnies.

Anyway, it's totally up to you off course, but wanted to share the story. Good luck with the decisons!
    Interesting thoughts. I have been actually researching it, and it seems that the bunny actually has pagan origins. It has to do with sex and fertility, which I'm sure you know what they say about rabbits. I'm not really sure if we can accept it, it kinda feels like it's taking away from Jesus. Which after going to Easter Vigil Mass, I can't really find a way to TIE the bunny in (although I do like your solution). 

Which as I said earlier, it's easy with Santa. We can tell our kids "His real name is Saint Nicholas, he delivers presents to all the kids because Jesus wants him too." It kinda goes hand in hand with God being loving, he doesn't need gifts for his bday, he would rather everyone else have them. Plus Saint Nick DID actually exist once, and DID bring people gifts, so it's not a lie.

I just don't know how I feel about mixing in "lies" with holidays associated with God, even though they are "traditions."
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 471
    Now, I may be misunderstanding what's being said there, but Christianity mixed in lies with a bunch of Pagan holidays and traditions to reappropriate and take them away, but to accept that is taking away from Jesus?
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 981
    ^ Pretty much that.
    snowhitie said:

BIG SNIP

I just don't know how I feel about mixing in "lies" with holidays associated with God, even though they are "traditions."
    The primary issue faced by many Christians when faced with similar questions is the acceptance that most Christian Religious Events and Festivals are an amalgamation of Pagan and Christian beliefs which occurred over the first Five hundred odd years Anno Domini to bring as much inclusion into the Faith as possible.
    I don't envy the decisions you're facing @CaptainPirateMan!  I do however really admire the effort you're making to align your behaviour and belief systems.
      The only real advice I can offer is to weigh up how you're comfortable observing religious dates, do it your own way that you're comfortable with and teach your kids to respect other people and their method of worship.
      As long as your focus is raising mindful, respectful, caring humans -  do what you feel is right.
    snowhitie
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,042
    Technically, the Easter bunny is a hare.
    But pretty much the whole festival is one of rebirth & fertility
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 351
    edited April 2018
    Wow, great! Another costumed Minifigure for my line up!

Thank you @SumoLego ! :D
    SumoLegoLittleLoriLEGOFan2
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 351
    The package from the US arrived this morning! Thank you very much @SumoLego - not just for the chicken figure but the other two surprises too!

Also very surprised at the speed of delivery from America - I always thought it took weeks. 
    SumoLegosnowhitie
    Also very surprised at the speed of delivery from America - I always thought it took weeks. 
    Definitely feels that way.  Enjoy the prize!