Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• JarakinJarakin Member Posts: 81
    Cheers guys, yeah that makes sense I guess monkeyhanger, why stop production on a set that's still generating a healthy profit? Traditionally, does the UK Lego shop also do blanket discounts around October and for Black Friday? I'm a little worried about leaving it too long, but I suppose fortune favours the brave after all, and I do have an ipad 3 to buy sometime in the very near future which will strain finances that little bit more too! ;)
  • morbiczermorbiczer Member Posts: 50
    translation is a worry. Will have to use Google Chrome later to autotranslate as I navigate.
    Beware. I have read from other posters on this very forum that Google Chrome autotranslates the euro symbol into a pound symbol, messing up the prices. Sounds really strange, but that was said. Then again, all amazon sites are structured exactly the same, so it should be very easy to figure out what is what even without translation.
    free supersaver delivery from amazon.co.uk to Europe, so hopefully the same applies from amazon.it to UK.
    Amazon.it offers free delivery only to Switzerland. You will have to pay shipping to get it delivered to UK. Based on how much it would take for them to mail stuff to where I am based, I estimate they would ask somewhere between 10-20 euros.

It is really worth to keep an eye on all five European amazon sites, since prices can vary a lot. Even with extra shipping costs taken into consideration you can often save some money. And amazon has excellent customer service, so it is a very safe way of shopping online.

• cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    Another page back in this -long- thread :-) @SonicYouth mentioned the Lightning Dragon Battle set. What about the Earth Dragon Defense (2509)? It too has a dragon.
  • FatMattFatMatt Member Posts: 502
    edited March 2012
    ^That is actually my favorite set out of the first wave, and did not seem to get much attention at the time. Prices have already risen some on it, between $45-$55, and I am sure they will continue.
    ^ Thanks @FattMatt Just picked up 4 at Kroger Marketplace for $11.00 each. I was in the aisle when the clerk was marking half priced LEGO sets another half off. I figured this was a good set. I figured the NinjaGo dragon was a winner.
  • roxioroxio Member Posts: 1,382
    ^^yes hopefully will be a sleeper, I piled in heavy when Tesco clearanced them for £12
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Member Posts: 3,639
    @FarmerJohn sorry to hear on 39R1 :(. If you can't get a replacement, maybe best course is to skillfully loosen up the seals for a quick check. If its missing a bag, TLG can replace with the patch bag. Then insert and reseal. This might be a rare case of righteous unsealing-sealing since there is no foul play and tampering, but rather the opposite of a fix. Problem is, the seals will still say 39R1 like a Scarlet Letter for future buyers even though you know for certain that all is complete.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP Member Posts: 1,917
    Damn. 14 Tower Bridges? 25 FBs? 26 Imperial Flagships? LFT has got some competition. I really wish I bought the IF while it was available. Such a beauty. Best of luck selling these in the future.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas Member Posts: 8,404
    The IFs and FBs he'll have no problems selling... Those GE and TB, will be sitting for awhile. :)

But I have no problem with it, more power to him, it isn't a race, we each do our own thing, whatever works best for us.
    @cloaked7 -Good find!
  • 2011Legomaniac2011Legomaniac Member Posts: 32
    ^ knows what he's talking about...I saw that he flipped an eiffel tower for a quick $600-700!... couldn't resist the GE and TB at TRU BOGO sale.
    He's right, it's not a race. I'm jus trying to make myself some $$...more power to whoever else is doing it, like LTF said.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    I don't have a problem with that btw I was just joking. Resellers do have quite the competition these days, good thing Im no where big as you guys. Ever wonder if selling some of the IF sooner might be better? It might become difficult to sell all 26 at the prime peak expected.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas Member Posts: 8,404
    ^So you're the one that cleaned TRU out of GEs and TBs during the BOGO.
    :) you know, it is possible tru has thousands of them during bogo, but it does not take very many of the above pictures to clean them out.

I did pickup a pair of tower bridges during bogo, but just the pair, I think it is early to. Stock up on those, better places to put your money.

I also find I am spending less on large buys of lego, I went a bit overboard after christmas, the reality of selling all that looms large, and real life calls. My future buys will not be as big.
  • CCCCCC Member Posts: 20,481
    I'm not really a reseller, but I'll buy a couple of extra sets if they are going cheap.

In my view, if the boxes are not opened, then the Lego is not mine. Stuff in storage for selling is just that.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Yea, I got a pair as well. I can't blame people for taking advantage of sales. There is a certain amount of work in finding them and then getting to them. If TRU did bogos year round for everyonea they would make no money.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,156
    edited March 2012
    Morbiczer: Yes, Chrome did autotranslate to show the euro symbol as a £, but when you hover over it to see original translation you can see the price in Euros - was initially worried Amazon.it were pulling some 1euro:£1 conversion on me. I bought it in the end - 217 Euros delivered (£183 - which is 26% cheaper than UK RRP), thought that 9 euros delivery wasn't unreasonable from an Italian site (even if the Lego doesn't come from there). It has been cheaper than that there apparently, but as they were showing 6 left, it gave me the impression there wouldn't be any more coming through if it has been unpopular enough in Italy to shave 33% off a UCS set previously. I think I should get back that and more at some point in the future. A used one with a tatty box just went for £174 plus postage on ebay.co.uk.
    Thanks to everyone for opening my eyes to other Amazon sites in the EU.
    Cheers guys, yeah that makes sense I guess monkeyhanger, why stop production on a set that's still generating a healthy profit? Traditionally, does the UK Lego shop also do blanket discounts around October and for Black Friday? I'm a little worried about leaving it too long, but I suppose fortune favours the brave after all, and I do have an ipad 3 to buy sometime in the very near future which will strain finances that little bit more too! ;)
    Jarakin:
    I doubt you'll see any discount on the DS beyond free shipping, double VIP points and maybe a freebie thrown in (like a polybag set or keyring or magnet set), in the UK at least. Black Friday is more of a US thing that the UK doesn't really see the benefit of. The only time you're likely to see any real discount on a UCS set in the UK is if it's unpopular (Obi Wan's star fighter) and/or it's being retired. If something like the DS had any meaningful discount on it you'd have to jump in pretty quick to buy one before the speculators buy in bulk.
  • CCCCCC Member Posts: 20,481
    Tower Bridge is starting to fall in the UK (the price, not the bridge!)

Amazon price from camelcamelcamel.

• mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    I recently bought from Amazon.es and the sets were delivered quickly and without problem. The delivery charge of around €10 for large packages was surprisingly low.

Nice name monkeyhanger. I think I know where you come from. (Just up the road from me.)
  • legoskeelolegoskeelo Member Posts: 12
    flicking through the latest Lego promo catalogue which got sent to me today both Grand Emporium and Fire Brigade dont feature, and also its the first Issue I've recieved which hasn't advertised the Death Star. Read into that what you will :)
    mountebank - does that make you a "smoggy"? If so then you are right about where i'm from. ;)
    Ha, I thought you'd be able to guess right. A Smoggy indeed.

Have lived down South for donkey's though, there are jobs down here.
    Has anyone ever considered whether TLG are allowed to churn out countless units of a popular licensed product? I wonder whether Lucas dictates how many of a certain SW model can be made or sold before it is pulled, no matter how popular it is?
    @legoskeelo
    Is MMV in there?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,331
    ^^ No real idea, and not sure Lucas would have that much control but wouldn't be surprised if they insisted that certain products always be available (say the x-wing or MF) or that certain themes they want to push for other reasons (Clone wars for example) might have a certain % of the total (where as LEGO might prefer to have more OT sets).
    I was very fortunate and was at Kroger Marketplace yesterday while the clerk was marking down a lot of LEGO sets. Of each set, I got all of them if I thought they would sell well. Now I need to decide if it is best to - sell them now or wait. I got -

Sell minifigs?
    9 - 3815 Spongebob Heroic Heros of the Deep
    11 - 7957 SW Sith Nightspeeder

Sell later?
    4 - 2509 Ninjago Earth Defense Dragon

Don't have a clue...
    9 - 7188 Castle King's Carriage Ambush
    7 - 4867 HP Hogwarts
    2 - 7498 City Police Station

I am thinking about busting open most of the 3815's and 7957's and selling the minifigs individually. That seems to be the way to maximize profits. I think I will hold the 2509's as long as I can, because I see them going up and up. Not sure about the 4867's 7188's, and 7498's. Any advice, suggestions will be appreciated.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Save the clueless ones for later too.
    edited March 2012
    ^^It will be a little while, probably not at least till close to Christmas, for 7188 to start rising. It isn't even selling for rrp yet due to the fact that it was has been heavily discounted everywhere since it was overpriced in the first place. But it should rise eventually. It had a short production run, and it has those printed horses, which both factors should attribute to the rise.
    ^Edit- "Contribute" not "attribute" :)
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Member Posts: 1,079
    I don't know if this has been asked (answered) before,but which one is going to be EOL'd first, GE or PS? I would like to buy some copys of the one that will be most certainly EOL soon after FB!
    edited March 2012
    ^Why don't you read the thread, and then you will see that it has been talked about, probably multiple times!
  • parkerwilsonparkerwilson Member Posts: 142
    I don't know if this has been asked (answered) before,but which one is going to be EOL'd first, GE or PS? I would like to buy some copys of the one that will be most certainly EOL soon after FB!
    I will save you some time, GE will go first
  • LegoboyLegoboy Member Posts: 8,825
    edited March 2012
    Welcome to the forums @Diggydoes. As @parkerwilson said, FB is likely to go first although the fact remains tha nobody really knows given we now have four modulars on the go at the moment - with the oldest of them having suffered production issues. My money's on the FB though.

As @FatMatt so elegantly suggested, it might be worth having a quick scan through some of the previous posts or perform a quick search beforehand....just on case. No harm done though. :o)
    edited March 2012
    Sorry guys. Rough morning. Could have done without the "elegant" suggestion.
  • MolicanMolican Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2012
    Shall I buy a bunch of 8129 MISB for 129 Euro?

Hello, I found a store today which has about 6 AT-AT 8129 on shelf. Is it ok to buy them for this price or are they not worth that much and wonÄ't be collactible?
    M.
    Have a look on www.brickpicker.com. I'd certainly be tempted to pick some up.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    Its all based on personal choice. I'd say yes.
  • LegoboyLegoboy Member Posts: 8,825
    ^ All good :o)
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Member Posts: 3,639
    For personal use, yes. For resale, no not at that price. 2 pence!
  • SupersympaSupersympa Member Posts: 534
    Hello Everybody, I am gonna put my 2 cents in the thread.
    I have been looking around for sets to buy now...
    the sets that I have seen rising above MRSP recently are:
    Star Wars
    10195 - this one is undercover, and I believe it will be a good one!
    10198 - was not long ago it was on sale, now rising
    8038 - you could find it for 70£ 2 weeks ago on amazon
    8039 - been out for a couple of months and start to show its value
    Ninjago
    2521 - limited edition as mentionned before...and to be honest, nowhere to be seen anymore

basically some of them been said here before...but I would not wait too long to get those before it raises more!

I also do believe that prince of persia will do somewhat well on the long run...do not like the theme particularly, but some of the pieces are quiet rare (especially battle of alamut)
  • SupersympaSupersympa Member Posts: 534
    on another note, looks like amazon in Europe is out of Fire Brigade 10197...only 3rd seller now...
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099

I also do believe that prince of persia will do somewhat well on the long run...do not like the theme particularly, but some of the pieces are quiet rare (especially battle of alamut)
    I wouldn't bet on it. The movie was kind of a flop and the left over sets don't seem to be moving from the discount stores (at least here in the US). I could be wrong though.

The one non-Star Wars theme that seems to do well is Indiana Jones. When sealed the sets go for double original MSRP and probably will go even higher over time.

^ You are forgetting Avatar, and they were highly discounted as well.
    edited March 2012
    ^^^Spiderman, Batman, Harry Potter, and even Spongebob have all done great after EOL. Assuming you are referring to liscensed themes.
    edited March 2012
    ^^I'm not sure what they are selling for across the pond, but I would not pay that for them here as they are selling around $180-190 USD shipped, and 129 Euro is about $170USD.
    Sure, but those are all popular franchises. Prince of Persia by most accounts is not nearly popular. I just cannot see it being that collectable. The sets seem ok but mostly for parting out for MOC.
    edited March 2012
    mathew said
    The one non-Star Wars theme that seems to do well is Indiana Jones. When sealed the sets go for double original MSRP and probably will go even higher over time.
    Sure, but those are all popular franchises. Prince of Persia by most accounts is not nearly popular.
    Indiana Jones isn't popular? I would say it is just as popular as every one I mentioned.
    Hmmm, not sure where I said Indiana Jones wasn't popular. In fact I said that it has done very well in the after market.
  • prevereprevere Member Posts: 2,923
    Curious about the varying answers to this. A friend hands you $10k to invest in Lego for him/her - and says pick the best set and put it all into that. What's your choice given the active sets on the market right now? (And we'll say they want to cash out in 5 years).

My choice would be DA, personally.