Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Other types of LEGO

princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
edited April 2011 in Everything else LEGO
Sorry real Newb question, but how many other types of LEGO are there?
As per another thread I bought a big box of LEGO over the weekend and it has lots of what I assumed is Bionicle but not too sure now as I hear there is some Hero Factory range?? Is that the same thing with a different name? If so how would I tell the difference.
Also there are some that look like Knights, which look simular size to Bionicle, but the joints are not the same, is this another totally different range?

Sorry for what is probably a really dumb question, but I'm only just getting back into LEGO and when I left bricks were just bricks :)

Comments

• MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    You might want to clarify your question. There is only one type of LEGO, but there are several ranges; Hero Factory being notably different from the other System- or Technic-based themes, for example.

If you are talking about other brands, then we don't use those kind of words here :-)
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Well I'm pretty sure they are all LEGO branded (with the exception of the Starship Enterprise which was in there too - Mega Bloks).
    Am I wrong in saying Bionicle is LEGO?
    But the Knight thing is also branded LEGO (I'm pretty sure anyway), and has joints that are like standard bricks.
    Tad confused and cant find a website that explains it all (wiki didnt really help).
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited April 2011
    Hero Factory is stylistically similar to Bionicle, but it's a new theme with a different storyline.
    Bionicle theme browser
    Hero Factory theme browser

And here are the knight pieces I believe you are mentioning:
    Knights' Kingdom II theme browser

• princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Rocao,
    I think you have answered my question, pretty sure all the stuff I have is Bionicle (not HF) and a few of the Knights Kingdom range (8771 for example).

Gotta say I'm not a fan of any of this stuff, may be just showing my age here tho; having said that it is clearly aimed at kids so I suppose that is fair enough.

Thanks again
  • mkoeselmkoesel USAMember Posts: 97
    As suggested in the other thread that you mention, your best bet is probably to try to ID the parts themselves and then find which sets they are in.

It is isn't really possible to say, for example, that if you have part X it must be from Lego product range X, Y, or Z. This is because many parts get reused is ways that were never imagined when the part was created. This is a big part of the beauty of Lego, after all. :) Even with specialized parts, people still use them in many different creative ways.
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 817
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, there's no definitive "list" that I'm aware of-- and there's a lot of "bleeding" from one into another. For instance, you could make a case that an offshoot of "Technic" evolved into "Cyberslam", which was later echoed in "Throwbots", which turned into "RoboRiders" which set the stage for "Bionicle", which set the stage for "Hero Factory". And you could argue that at the same time that Bionicle was enjoying success, LEGO also tried ~similar~ things with the Knights Kingdom large figures and Galidor.

Anyway, there are so many different "types" of LEGO that it's difficult to list them all without duplicating or skipping certain categories. But an offhand general overview:

I. Non-construction brick toys I.1 - Old-school toys I.1.A - Wooden Toys I.1.B - Plastic Toys I.1.C - Games I.2 - Other product lines I.3.A - Modulex I.3.B - ZNAP I.3.C - Galidor II. Building brick-style toys II.1 - LEGO System II.1.A - Town II.1.A.i - Trains II.1.A.ii - Res-Q II.1.A.iii - Extreme Team II.1.A.iv - Sports ... II.1.B - Space II.1.B.i - Classic Space II.1.B.ii - Blacktron II.1.B.iii - Futuron II.1.B.iv - Space Police II.1.B.v - M:Tron ... II.1.C - Castle II.1.C.i - Classic Castle II.1.C.ii - Crusaders/Lion Knights II.1.C.iii - Black Falcons II.1.C.iv - Forestmen II.1.C.v - Black Knights ... ... II.3 - Technic II.4 - DUPLO II.5 - Scala II.6 - LEGO Soft II.7 - Quatro II.8 - Primo ... III. Non-toy items III.1 - Clothing lines III.2 - LEGO branded items (saltshakers, umbrellas, etc) III.3 - Video/Computer games

You can probably expand that out to a zillion levels. And you can dispute my putting ZNAP outside of "System" since yes, it shared some connection types, etc. It's all up for dispute in terms of where everything fits. We could argue about it forever (I even argue with myself over it at times!).

But there's a broad picture. If you want an answer, you'd have to clarify what you consider to be a distinct "type" of LEGO-- and even then, you could only get a ballpark figure.

DaveE
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    @DaveE: "offhand" :) You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman
  • mkoeselmkoesel USAMember Posts: 97
    edited April 2011
    That's a nice list Davee123.

One thing I would note is that, although ZNAP and Galidor may not have been seen as true Lego building sets in the strictest sense, in fact, both did feature some sets which included genuine Lego parts that had been is use since before their conception. I am thinking of technic motors and cross axles in ZNAP, for example. And I believe that some Galidor sets had some technic pins and/or click hinges or sorts in them. So even in this case we can see that it goes back to what I said as far as parts getting reused in ways they hadn't originally been invisioned (even outside of what are typically consider actual Lego sets).
  • cbowerscbowers Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2011
    I cannot blame you for not enjoying these. I know I'll probably get flack for that but I feel like these sets are not LEGO. Not the LEGO I am used to anyway, with their odd pieces and strange lines. I think that if you are still wanting to get back into LEGO, you should. Try something with more pieces and more of an intricate design.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,238
    ^...like Star Justice. :o)
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    ^ lol