Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO Ideas - Review Results

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,406

No projects approved :(

No projects approved :)

I'm glad they chose not to make any. None of them are worth making and I prefer them to skip the bad ones.
    LostInTranslationsid3windrpharmjodMattDawsondougtsFizyxCM4S

Out of the next batch, I’m guessing the Jaguar or the Christmas Story house have the best chances. I love RobenAnne’s stuff, but I can’t see LEGO releasing another one anytime soon.
    I'm not sure about A Christmas Story. I know it is popular in the US, but it's virtually unheard of in the UK. Presumably even less so in the rest of Europe. It is seasonal, so might do well if done in the run up to Xmas, but poor afterwards. It looks very boring. The snow detail is nice, but apart from that, the detail is awful. It looks like a standard box house built by a young kid. There is no detailing in the roof, overhangs or anything. Just standard roof bricks. It looks like a brick (and in yellow, not that popular a colour) and roof slope supplementary pack.
    Bumblepantspharmjodsid3windrandheFizyxM_BossJern92catwrangler
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,130
    @gmonkey76 I doubt the tan baseplate is discontinued; it's simply no longer available in retail packaging. I assume it will be available from B&P once it reopens in February. The same was true for the blue baseplate when it was "discontinued" between 2015 and 2017.
    The tan baseplate is after all in current available sets, including the just released #10260 Downtown Diner.
    Bumblepants
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,085
    ^ Both my Walmart and Target have loads of tan base plates. Does not seem logical that it is going away. Also, Walmart just stocked blue base plates.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,937
    I will say the old Fishing Store was a day 1 buy, And was the first large set I bought just for me, only for me, and built by me. Usually I divide large sets between me and kids. I absolutely loved this set, both in looks and in build, and would instabuy anything else released in the series. For me, it was like a large vignette, filled with amazing detail. I am really hoping they put out at least one more set in this line, but I am not getting my hopes up. 
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76Spaceship11
  • So, Cloud City confirmed?
    wardm
    NavyAsk said:
    So, Cloud City confirmed?
    Not necesssarily.

That they won't approve sets based on existing themes is confirmed though.
    stluxMAGNINOMINISUMBRAAyliffesid3windrgmonkey76Fizyx
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,325
    Not sure why something that is currently in stock can't go away... The tan baseplate is -definitely- no longer available at retail, barring current stock...

gmonkey76
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    CCC said:
    NavyAsk said:
    Not necesssarily.

Erm, they confirmed this over a year ago when they updated the submission deadlines... :)
    CCC said:
    NavyAsk said:
    Not necesssarily.

Erm, they confirmed this over a year ago when they updated the submission deadlines... :)
    Yes, so them denying the Vader-Luke set is not a guarantee that a Cloud City set is coming.
    dougtsSumoLego
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,245
    I guess people were saying old fishing store wouldn't get approved because it was too big. so with 3 sets in a review, + 2 already reviewed, I would say it's not unlikely we get a 2nd one from Robenanne, depending on how well old fishing store did.

and found out that "a christmas story" is a movie. was wondering what's so special about this pretty plain looking house.

I actually also think the pop-up book has the best chance of being chosen, but I find it pretty boring, you would have to make it pretty amazing or it would become old in 5 min.

my favourite are the boathouse dinner and dive shop, though I'm afraid the dive shop is too close in theme to the fishing store. the boat hangar would have been great.
    BrickByBrickSpaceship11
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    tamamahm said:
    I will say the old Fishing Store was a day 1 buy, And was the first large set I bought just for me, only for me, and built by me. Usually I divide large sets between me and kids. I absolutely loved this set, both in looks and in build, and would instabuy anything else released in the series. For me, it was like a large vignette, filled with amazing detail. I am really hoping they put out at least one more set in this line, but I am not getting my hopes up. 
    Even my wife, who generally loathes my LEGO collecting habits, approached me and said "hey, have you seen that LEGO fishing store? That's really cool!"  She doesn't fish either.
    FizyxSpaceship11catwrangler
  • Spaceship11Spaceship11 ItalyMember Posts: 5
    Fauch said:
    I guess people were saying old fishing store wouldn't get approved because it was too big. so with 3 sets in a review, + 2 already reviewed, I would say it's not unlikely we get a 2nd one from Robenanne, depending on how well old fishing store did.
    I whole-heartedly agree with you, if anything this upcoming Ideas review showcases how users are fans of sequels (as also happened with with the Saturn V launch tower this time around). TLG ought to notice this, when you have an author which has obtained more than 60'000 votes and with a seventh set at 500 votes after four days, they really should be considering dedicating a specific theme to these or at least a follow up Ideas set. I don't consider it an obstacle that the OFS is still on sale, after all any new "seaside village" set would be on shelves sometime mid 2019, so 2 years later the OFS and given they have until end of may to review submissions that would mean that they have 9 month of OFS sales to see if it might be worth it or not.
    Fizyx
    I think the downside of the fishing store type sets is that Lego doesn't want ideas to become stale and repetitive, the ideas chosen should be fresh and new. Much love the follow up set to the research institute was a bit boring second time around. As a new theme, maybe. But in ideas, probably not. However even as a theme they'd need to be careful with it canablising modular sales.
    FizyxBrickByBrick
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 648
    CCC said:
    I think the downside of the fishing store type sets is that Lego doesn't want ideas to become stale and repetitive, the ideas chosen should be fresh and new. Much love the follow up set to the research institute was a bit boring second time around. As a new theme, maybe. But in ideas, probably not. However even as a theme they'd need to be careful with it canablising modular sales.

Yeah, I wouldn't want the Fishing Store 'line' to remain under the Ideas theme.  The Ideas theme should remain for ideas sets, and should follow their own guidelines which basically say 'no themes.'  That said... They could release a mid-year seaside village set theme for at least a half a decade without it getting old and without cannibalizing the modulars, I feel like.
    pharmjodMattDawson
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 167
    dougts said:
    tamamahm said:
    Even my wife, who generally loathes my LEGO collecting habits, approached me and said "hey, have you seen that LEGO fishing store? That's really cool!"  She doesn't fish either.
    Same here.  Its the only set other than the Haunted House that my wife has ever expressed any interest in.
    Fizyxdougts
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 349
    ^ she has a thing for dilapidated buildings?
    ethanjwall
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,616
    Wives dig sand green.  Don't show her the Green Grocer.

Anyway, LEGO could easily switch future Old Fishing Store related buildings to the Creator Expert line.  Although an expanded line would usually mean larger royalties for the designer - so I wouldn't bet on it.
    Fizyxsid3windrcatwranglerMaffyD
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 100
    i'm pretty sure the designer of a Lego Ideas set doesn't receive anything if Lego expands on the theme.
    Spaceship11catwrangler
    edited January 2018
    blokey9 said:
    i'm pretty sure the designer of a Lego Ideas set doesn't receive anything if Lego expands on the theme.
    If they design there own of course. And if they happen to design something that looks a bit like one of the current ones that end up not passing review ...
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
    Have to agree with @CCC about "A Christmas Story". I'm an outlier in that I'm from the UK and have loved it for many years, but I don't think I'd even have recognised that model as being the house from the film if I'd seen it out of context.

If there's any single iconic thing about that film, it's the sexy lamp (seenin the window in miniature), but I'm thinking that as a standalone model, that might be a whole other problem for TLG... ditto the official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time. Nor is it looking good for a model based on Flick licking the frozen pole (imitative behaviour)...

I have high hopes for the pop-up book, though I'd agree with @Fauch that the design would need to be a bit more sophisticated. That should be possible, though, thinking about how various paper engineering tricks could translate to Lego. I think that if it's picked for development, they'll emphasise how you can adapt and customise it, like with the Maze.

BumblepantspharmjodInfinitymanFizyxvizzitor
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 393
    Have to agree with @CCC about "A Christmas Story". I'm an outlier in that I'm from the UK and have loved it for many years, but I don't think I'd even have recognised that model as being the house from the film if I'd seen it out of context.

If there's any single iconic thing about that film, it's the sexy lamp (seenin the window in miniature), but I'm thinking that as a standalone model, that might be a whole other problem for TLG... ditto the official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time. Nor is it looking good for a model based on Flick licking the frozen pole (imitative behaviour)...

I have high hopes for the pop-up book, though I'd agree with @Fauch that the design would need to be a bit more sophisticated. That should be possible, though, thinking about how various paper engineering tricks could translate to Lego. I think that if it's picked for development, they'll emphasise how you can adapt and customise it, like with the Maze.

Actually I've only just realised which film it is too and it's been one of our favourites for many years as well. Great film, but really not rating the model. Limited appeal as well. I'd probably get it if it was heavily discounted because of the film tie in, but can't see it appealing to the masses.
    catwranglerFizyxvizzitor
  • InfinitymanInfinityman United StatesMember Posts: 106
    For the record: I'm rooting for the pop-up book, despite being a Christmas Story fan. Our family watched all the videos the designers created and love the concept - there's so much that could be done with it!
    catwranglerFizyxpharmjod
  • PebblesPebbles EnglandMember Posts: 173
    For the record: I'm rooting for the pop-up book, despite being a Christmas Story fan. Our family watched all the videos the designers created and love the concept - there's so much that could be done with it!
    I like the idea of a pop up book, but wonder if it will be a bit gimmicky after a while. Take away the book and you're left with small little play scenes which most people could put together without buying the set. Also I wonder at the price, as the piece count will be pretty decent, despite most of it going into the building of the book. Although I agree that out of all the sets this is the most likely to be approved.
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 537
    I think they will be going for the pop up book as well! And it would be nice if they do the rumoured FB Suitcase with brick built beasts in a similar style.
    pharmjod
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,937
    Yeah...The Christmas Story is simply not recognizable as a Christmas story set. I really can not imagine them choosing that one.

I presume they will choose the pop-up book because it is small and different, and I am fine with that, but it is also something I have zero interest in as it is shown. It is not interesting from a display standpoint, nor is not something to really play with, it is just ‘meh’. The main selling point is....look.... it pops-up. 

I just really hope they choose a sequel to the Old Fishing Store, but would like to see it move the direction of the Minecraft mini sets, and transition from Ideas to a line... 

Spaceship11
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,868
    The consolation to me if they don't choose the pop up book is that I'm pretty sure JK Brickworks will eventually make the parts list and instructions available for everyone. So I'm gonna get one at some point one way or another.
    Fizyxcatwrangler
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 562

Whenever I think of the house, the only detail that would make it stand out from any other creator house would be the leg lamp in the window. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see this as a set. As the original house from where the movie was filmed is not too far from where I am, I would have to get my hands on a set. Of course, at the end of the day, I am not sure that there is enough worldwide demand. I wonder if limited releases are ever considered for ideas sets for certain parts of the world. Something of the sort like #21100, despite that set being a bit of a beta for CUUSOO. 

I would be curious to know how the demand for A Christmas Story set would stack up in comparison to the sets of Adventure Time and Big Bang Theory. 
    MegtheCat
  • tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 155
    #21313-1 Ship in a bottle designer video now on Youtube.  Some interesting info on alternate designs for the ship.

LittleLoriFizyxstluxAstrobricksMynattSwitchfoot55
  • smileyvalsmileyval United StatesMember Posts: 24
    Caterham! 

• ucsstarwarsfanucsstarwarsfan Washington StateMember Posts: 33
    edited January 2018
    I'm cracking up at all these comments about people's wives/girlfriends expressing interest in the Old Fishing Store when otherwise they are disinterested in legos. The same thing happened with my girlfriend! I dragged her into the lego store on a recent day trip, and she was like "that one is cool!" It's currently in transit to my house.. it'll be one of her Valentine's day presents. :)
    FizyxSumoLegogmonkey76BumblepantsSpaceship11
    Mine actually built the Big Bang Theory set.  I'm still baffled that it happened.

No interest in the Old Fishing Store.  She just thought it was from 'Goonies'.
    AstrobricksBumblepantsMegtheCat
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 684
    My wife and Lego is a bit like Holy water and Vampires...Mmmmm!
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 684
    Which is why i assume she attacks it at the end of 5ft of vacuum pipe...
    dmcc0FizyxSpaceship11
  • ucsstarwarsfanucsstarwarsfan Washington StateMember Posts: 33
    I had bought 10231 and was planning on selling it in the event that the new Ideas shuttle gets approved, but now that it wasn't approved I went ahead and built this one. It's a great set! I wouldn't be surprised if its existence is part of why the new Ideas one got rejected.
    FizyxricecakecatwranglerMegtheCatFowlerBricksTXLegoguy
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 977
    A lot of lego set are cool to look at....then i see the price and it's more like WTF!!   The ship in a bottle i thought would be cool to have in my office, but not for $70!!   At that price, I'll just tip over a rum bottle, put 3 $20's and a $10 inside with a few clear round studs and display that!
    gmonkey76dmcc0catwrangler
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    Qualifying projects for the first 2018 review have just been released:
    https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/70448f84-18c7-432f-837b-e7f6bc473f49

I'm stitch is the only one that has a chance in that wave.
    stluxFizyx
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,235
    I don’t know what a stitch is.
    I’m really hoping for the SR-71.
    FowlerBricksFizyxTXLegoguy
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,394
    I'd snatch Stitch up in a heartbeat! I love the look of the BMW R60/2 as well. 
    FizyxMr_Cross
  • mak0137mak0137 VirginiaMember Posts: 250
    Treehouse would be nice and I can see myself buying it. BMW motorcycle looks really good. SR-71 is interesting but could be expensive. 
    Fizyx
    edited May 2018
    Stitch is from the same designer that did wall-e. That's why I think it will get made. If it doesn't, hopefully he will post instructions for it.
    Fizyx
  • UmandraugUmandraug Doomstadt, LatveriaMember Posts: 69
    Hmm... I like the look of Stitch. I’d probably pass on the others.
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 616
    After the tantalising Hanna Barbera glimpses in Lego Dimensions (and the fact that a lot of the other projects are existing licenses/military), I'm really hoping for Fintstones! Probably won't be as big as the original Ideas proposition though.

I don't really understand why the Amelia Earhart set had so many votes, but I guess the idea of promoting her as a historical figure is what really won through. 

I guess Stitch seems most likely in reality. If I was a marketeer at Lego, I would assume it would be the biggest hit out of these choices.
    pharmjod said:
    I'm stitch is the only one that has a chance in that wave.
    I don't think any of them will make the cut.  Maybe an outside chance on the Flintstones set.  
    gmonkey76
    You are probably right. Stitch is an awesome build though. I'm indifferent to that movie, but impressed with the build.
    SumoLego
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 664
    Wiiiiiiiilmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaa!
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    I would lIke the SR-71, but that is unlikely due to the modern military connection. My girlfriend and I are fans of MST3K (she more than I) so that would be a fun set for us, but I'm not holding my breath on it passing review either. Modular arcade is neat. I agree that Stitch and Flintstones probably have the best chances of passing, depending on licensing.
    I don't really understand why the Amelia Earhart set had so many votes, but I guess the idea of promoting her as a historical figure is what really won through.

Same designer as Research Institute (and The Big Bang Theory), and promotes women in engineering / STEM. Both of those things gets votes. It is very similar to an existing / current set, just with a license attached.

ricecake said:
    I would lIke the SR-71, but that is unlikely due to the modern military connection.
    I guess they need to talk up the NASA side of it.

• JRLJRL UKMember Posts: 85
    I love the Flintstones design and hope it makes it through!