Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Next Modular: Town Hall (10224)

Comments

• warrenelsmorewarrenelsmore Member Posts: 77
    hmm... so I wonder if the lady who was 'waiting for their birthday to buy one' in the Stratford store whilst I bought the Town Hall this evening is on Brickset?

Now all I need to do is wait until I get home tomorrow before I can build it!
  • veritas313veritas313 Member Posts: 80
    I know it's still in it's box - unbuilt as yet - but will there be another modular released this year?
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,572
    edited March 2012
    Seems like it was the day for being in Stratford, lol. I was in at lunchtime, as was @Princedraven. We both had a covetous look at Town Hall but left empty-handed (well, without a TH anyway ;-)

@veritas313: I got the store opening figs with my purchase today too. Not worth a special trip on the day, but nice to have anyway I guess.
    Edit - also, if you were impressed with their customer service, remember to do the online customer survey and tell their bosses so!
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    @veritas313 I would be shocked if there was another Modular this year. The pattern has been 1 every year since it started:
    CC - 2007
    GG - 2008
    FB - 2009
    GE - 2010
    PS - 2011
    TH - 2012

Market Street was fan-designed and released under a different (Factory) theme/line of products.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    @lostintranslation: How come you left without a Town Hall?
    ^ Because I can't afford it at the moment! :-)
    Sorry. I feel stupid. I should have known. Hope you can afford it before double VIP points expire.
    @starfire2: please don't feel that, how could you know? I won't be getting it with double points, but it's fine, it's not going anywhere. If I save for it, I will enjoy it all the more when I eventually do get it :-)
    I'm sure you will. It looks like an awesome build.
  • asherkobinasherkobin Member Posts: 194
    Someone was able to grab one for a 20% discount due to a damaged box. I have a suspicious feeling that the damaged box was held back for him to purchase (via a prior arrangement or he smartly asked if there were any damaged sets) simply because there is no way the LEGO store would put that box out on the floor on this most-anticipated day of its debut release. It was not marked down, the sales clerk simply told the register clerk to give him 20% discount.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    A damaged box on the first day of sale? Seems fishy to me.
    Maybe he kicked it or dropped it just to get a discount.
    sounds like an inside job to be sure. I suppose it could have been damaged in transit, but in that case why wouldn't they have just used that one as the display model? If I was the store manager I would have that one set aside in any case - just sell the the tons of good ones you have, and figure out what to do with the damaged one later - heck, they could have gotten full price for it at some point if/when it was the only one in stock.
    quick inventory of the box contents:
    * tan 32x32 baseplate
    * instruction manuals in plastic with cardboard backer
    * 1 bag of large plates
    * 14 bags numbered "1"
    * 5 bags numbered "2"
    *10 bags numbered "3"
    I was reminded this evening of the lengthy set of discussions we had here recently about the definition of "mint" boxes.

I picked up a case of Town Halls tonight. The two 10224s had not been out of the outside sturdy shipping container since the left the factory floor, and the box itself was in great condition - no compression marks, no creases, no dents, nothing. I took it home, opened the pristine box and discovered that not one, but both the inner LEGO boxes had a fair amount of scuffing on one of the end surfaces - paint was clearly rubbed off in multiple places. I recall having the exact same experience when opening factory sealed shipping boxes of SSDs back when they first came out. this is why I avoid the use of the term "mint" in regards to selling new and sealed LEGO.

I suspect this occurs much more frequently in the heavier sets (Town hall weights in at about 3825 grams or about 8.4 pounds.)
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    Picked it up today. Heavy box! Can't wait to build it.
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    Someone was able to grab one for a 20% discount due to a damaged box. I have a suspicious feeling that the damaged box was held back for him to purchase (via a prior arrangement or he smartly asked if there were any damaged sets) simply because there is no way the LEGO store would put that box out on the floor on this most-anticipated day of its debut release. It was not marked down, the sales clerk simply told the register clerk to give him 20% discount.
    What store was this at? At my store there was a box they had put out where the bottom of the box was crushed in.

• BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    I wish we had a Lego store where I live.. I like these modulars, but after only coming back to Lego recently I don't wanna pay $800 for one of the older sets.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    20% discount? My local Lego store only does a 10% discount for damaged boxes...

And even then, the damage has to be decent, for shelf-worn boxes, even with small dents, they won't take 10% off. Maybe it is just me. :)
    Just got home about an hour ago with the new Town Hall.

Yes, it is bigger and heavier, but what no one has said is how much thicker the box is. It must be 50% thicker than the older modulars like Pet Shop and Fire Brigade... Looks more like the box Tower Bridge comes in. Not as heavy as that one of course, but it does have more heft to it... As it should, considering that it is only $40 less expensive than Tower Bridge, with almost half as many parts...

*Note to self, don't let Tower Bridge retire without a few put away. :)
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    Picked mine up today, and it is a chunky box. Have managed to build the first two levels - I'm really impressed so far, with the white trim it "shines" in the light and I agree the dark orange colour does look great in the brick.

It has some nice touches; the pillars, the arches inside, the windows are a little simpler and less ornate than something like CC. I was sceptical about the lift, but it runs really smoothly up one floor and then the little catch mechanism holds it there.

More to do tomorrow!
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,431
    ^ Somehow that makes Tower Bridge seem more affordable. I do want the tower bridge so maybe I can convince myself to do it... maybe even this month. I still need to pick up the Fire Brigade too. The others can wait for now.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 1,996
    As it should, considering that it is only $40 less expensive than Tower Bridge, with almost half as many parts...
    I'm not sure if this was just misworded, but Town Hall has well over 'almost half as many parts' as Tower Bridge. It's probably sitting at around 65% in all honesty, but also weighs more than the bridge, so I suspect it doesn't include a million of the 'cheese wedges.'
    ^ Yes, that was poorly typed, perhaps I should have just said it had 1/3 fewer parts...

As for weight, really? Town Hall doesn't feel heavier, but I haven't picked up one of the Tower Bridge boxes recently...

*goes off to check one*

Nope, I'm going to have to disagree, Tower Bridge is heavier, by a noticeable amount. I didn't put them on a scale, but just picking up each box, Tower Bridge has more weight to it.

I'll have to stick them both on a scale tomorrow and check to be sure I'm not crazy. :)
    ^ Somehow that makes Tower Bridge seem more affordable. I do want the tower bridge so maybe I can convince myself to do it... maybe even this month. I still need to pick up the Fire Brigade too. The others can wait for now.
    I personally think FB will retire before TB, so go get FB first...

Tower Bridge should be around until Christmas, if it follows the pattern of Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    I have a slightly OT qtn but I live in Australia and the [email protected] region settings are either uk or nz - any Aussies on here that can help?

Back OT - after seeing the size of it on the You Tube vide....wow! it's a really great set :D
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    ^ I think you just choose NZ and put 'West Island' in your address :)
  • effalconeffalcon Member Posts: 71
    [email protected] has Australia as a region.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 1,996
    I haven't picked up Town Hall myself, but its product weight is listed at 11 pounds (which should include the box), whereas Tower Bridge only weighs about eight pounds. I have the box packed away somewhere, but I can't imagine it weighs three pounds.

Either way... I think Town Hall is a much better value. :)
    box is exactly the same size as the tower bridge. TB boxed weight is almost exactly 500 grams more than TH boxed weight (4335 to 3825). Built weight also favors TB. TH built weight is 2739 grams, but I don't have TB weight (can't get it on my scale correctly)
    edited March 2012
    so, i took picture both with and without the bell tower at the top. Thoughts:
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    ^ like the first picture best actually, makes the building feel more solid and symmetrical.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    ^ like the first picture best actually, makes the building feel more solid and symmetrical.
    *like*
    @dougts - You're right, I just weighted them, Tower Bridge is heavier than Town Hall, but on a per part basis, Town Hall is heavier (about 26% heavier per part).

That being said, looking out 2 years, I suspect Tower Bridge will be much higher in price than Town Hall will be.

Just my 2 cents...
  • Firox5000Firox5000 Member Posts: 61
    I picked up my TH on [email protected] thursday night and will hopefully get my double vip points soon.
    What is s&h?
    Shop @ Home - Lego.com's shopping site

shop.lego.com
    Thanks.. Every time I see s & h I think of shipping and handling.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Reading all these posts makes me want to go get a TH and build it. :)
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    Maybe it's me, but this town hall is the ugliest and most un-inspired of the modulars. I won't say anymore since it appears most like it.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    @dougts The Town Hall definitely looks a lot better without the bell tower.
  • ringleheimringleheim Member Posts: 168
    Having just built the Pet Shop, Grand Emporium, and now about 70% finished with the Fire Brigade, I consider the Town Hall to be the least interesting of the 4 modulars currently available. It just strikes me as bland, I do not like the "orange" color, and it is lacking in interesting architectural detail which is the hallmark of these modular kits. The detail above the lower level entrance way is great, but unfortunately, that's about it for the whole building.

And here is the funny part: I am about to mail order this puppy from Lego with double VIP points, simply because it is a modular, I am addicted to them, and they all offer something of interest I'm sure. I can't imagine not getting "the next" modular at this point. If only Cafe Corner and Green Grocer were not so horribly marked up at Ebay and Bricklink! The only one that does nothing for me is Market Street.

^ May I suggest to you and everyone... hold judgement until you build it...

Lots of people here have blasted FB, saying it was the "least impressive of the modulars".

Having built GE and FB, I found FB a much more interesting build, much better interior, and it is my favorite so far. Everyone says GG is great and that PS is ok, but I won't judge either until I build them, then I can have a build opinion. :)

And that is just my opinion as well. ;)
  • ringleheimringleheim Member Posts: 168
    edited March 2012
    Without a doubt, each kit always has a few treasures waiting to be discovered only once you actually build it. So I will hold off judgment on TH until I have it and build it. I don't think FB deserves a lot of the negative criticism it receives; I think it's a fun build and the stone lower level and brick upper level have a ton of texture to them. The interior is great. I still think the GE is the most impressive externally of the 3 I have (FB, GE, PS). The interior of the GE is a bit of a letdown, but then, the chandellier and escalators are fantastic. I also love the revolving front door.
  • kkskks Member Posts: 60
    I am just a little way into the build so I have not made up my mind on the build itself yet. The orange is not as bad in person as I thought it would be, in fact, I kind of like it. One thing I do dislike is that TLG is using the red outline in the instructions showing where the pieces for that page goes. I have only seen this before in the architecture and friends line. I think it takes the fun out of figuring out where the next pieces go and makes it too simple.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 818
    LFT-Great advice on reserving judgement until you've actually built a set.
    kks-I don't have the TH yet (planning on buying before the 15th though) but I must say that anything that makes the building process smoother I welcome to the hobby. I wish these sets had numbered bags too!
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    edited March 2012
    ^ TH does have numbered bags - although only for each level (so they are numerous and it takes some time to sort). See @dougts post (March 2) above!

I've finished mine, I am really impressed and like the internal layout, the individual offices and the grandness of the big "Committee room" upstairs. Seeing the pics without the bell tower do make me think I should remove that part though.

This is always going to be a matter of personal taste, but I'd rank it above the GE in terms of final appearance, and the build and variation. However, I don't think it has as many of the build techniques in as the other currently available sets (FB and PS). I really liked the PS in that regard.
  • ktmoktmo Member Posts: 73
    I am really excited to build the TH, well I need to buy it first - waiting for free shipping and double points. I think that we will love the TH because DH and I got married at the town hall, so it will be special because we have a personal connection.

We are just building our first modular. She picked the Grand Emporium. Can't wait add to our town.
  • paradisiaparadisia UKMember Posts: 15
    I finished building mine today, and have to say it was a fun build and I am impressed with its size. I especially like the front doors, various rooms and the simplicity of connecting the floors with the lift/elevator. Here's a picture of mine with the limo from set 3222 parked outside to take the happy couple :)
  • asherkobinasherkobin Member Posts: 194
    edited March 2012
    What store was this at? At my store there was a box they had put out where the bottom of the box was crushed in.
    Bellevue, WA. I don't know anything about the nature of how the clerk decided on 20%. I did see the damaged box and about 1/8 of the box was crushed in.