Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How many "systems" are there within the LEGO brand, and how many ways can you connect two pieces?

2»

Comments

• SueButcherSueButcher AustraliaMember Posts: 23
    Gotcha. But if "pony ears" was used back in the day by Lego, I'll do it. The old bricks can stand it, good quality ABS has a certain amount of rubberiness and I'm not building 'em to fly!
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 774
    Lyichir said:
    Is the right-angle connection of plate edges between studs "illegal"? I mean, did Lego publish designs with this type of connection?   
    Technically this IS an illegal connection by modern standards! Despite being used in older sets, the height of a plate is slightly larger than the distance between two studs, stressing the elements. This was one of the techniques described as "formerly legal, now illegal" in the widely circulated presentation where the concept of illegal connections was first made public.

It's worth noting that this applies to plates, not tiles. Tiles are actually ever so slightly less tall than a full plate, so do not stress the studs as much.
    Indeed, #20319 Saturn V uses a tile connected at a right angle to a plate (Printed flag piece)
    What about plugging bricks into the mesh of the old fence pieces? It looks like Lego thought of designing the fences to take studs, but the fit is very tight and takes a knife to separate if you plug a whole 4x2 brick in. A neat way to build at right angle, though.
    Astrobricks
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 635
    What about plugging bricks into the mesh of the old fence pieces? It looks like Lego thought of designing the fences to take studs, but the fit is very tight and takes a knife to separate if you plug a whole 4x2 brick in. A neat way to build at right angle, though.
    I’m assuming that was intended to be a real thing?  ‘I thought I was so smart when I discovered that as a kid
    NeilCrosby
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,469
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 635
    Thanks Todd, that prove it was a thing definitely!  
    That's what I meant, Todd. So it was "legal" for a while. It's probably not a legal technique now; it feels like there's much more stress on the bricks than with "pony ears", and the fence pieces might break when the model's pulled apart.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,848
    That's what I meant, Todd. So it was "legal" for a while. It's probably not a legal technique now; it feels like there's much more stress on the bricks than with "pony ears", and the fence pieces might break when the model's pulled apart.
    Individual studs in in the lattice of the 1x4x1 fence pieces certainly still seem to be an approved technique, as that's used to attach the stair railings in #10260 Downtown Diner. But I don't think I've seen any sets in recent history that used studs in the lattice of the 1x4x2 fence piece.