Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Which LEGO sets do you now regret having bought?

Comments

• richoricho Member Posts: 3,795
    edited February 2014
    That pickable model really is an acquired taste isn't it. I can't see the appeal at all, but each to their own!

Getting back to the thread, I regret buying x10 Chima speedorz because they were filthy cheap. Still sitting in the shelf displays of 5 units in my cupboard.
  • PaperbackwriterPaperbackwriter Member Posts: 105
    9516 Jabbas Palace. Why, oh why, am I buying Star Wars stuff? Because I was told this particular set was politically incorrect in some circles. 10243, Parisian Restaurant.....not following the herd mentality, I think it really sucks. But, as a completist, I just had to buy one. Or two. :-)
  • augenaugen Worcester, UKMember Posts: 317
    edited February 2014
    Never really regretted buying any set as I just piece them out after I've built them anyway.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 244
    The big Technic excavator from 3 or so years ago. I didn't know how to build it, and the pieces ended up added to the bin.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    let's see, where to start:

The last two full waves of Friends sets because I thus far have them all and have some sick need to be "complete" even though my daughter's basically don't play with them anymore.

Almost every CITY set I've bought in the past few years. Why do I keep doing this? I build them, hate how incomplete they seem to be, then, pack them away.

Star Wars system sets. I think this mostly must be a shoutout to my childhood. I would have killed to have these as a kid. Now I build the X Wing or TIE, or whatever, sit in on a shelf for awhile, then pack it away. What a waste.
    Legoboy
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,305
    richo said:

Getting back to the thread, I regret buying x10 Chima speedorz because they were filthy cheap. Still sitting in the shelf displays of 5 units in my cupboard.

I thought the speedorz were really c**p when I first saw them, and even when my one of my kids got one. However, now they have about 8 or 9 between them. I bought them two each for gifts as they were cheap little extras (at £1-£3 each.)

We had surprisingly good fun combining them together one rainy afternoon, getting more complicated each time. Get your speedorz through 4 arches, over a ramp and knock down a tower and so on. Whilst not one for most AFOLs, when you have kids about too, they are good fun. And I am happy to say my initial opinion of them was wrong, they are great fun for kids if you have a little imagination and a quantity of spare bricks / slopes to build up the tasks you have to do.

And hard floors are best too.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBlegofeet
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    Star Wars. I stayed away from the theme at first. Broke down and bought the Imperial Shuttle. Love the Imperial Shuttle, but it opened the door to buying other Star Wars sets. My kids like the minifigs, but the overall theme is just so overwhelming.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 853
    LOL. It seemed like such a good thing to pick up at the time...
  • DaraghDaragh IrelandMember Posts: 363
    A 40kg bulk buy with no instructions or boxes. Some great sets in there, but there is about 2 kgs of dog hair and about 4kg of various of "brands", some of which are so like LEGO that I am nearly blind trying to separate them out. And now I have washerwoman's hands from watching batch after batch night after night...
    StuBoykekekeUKtsumi
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 536
    The Speedorz really tanked with my boys, so I have a few still sitting on a shelf uninteresting an unopened, even at half off, there's no point if they are useless.
    The Vampyre Hearse is another one that I look at and wonder what the point was when compared to the rest of the Monster Fighters line.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    About 50% of what I bought when coming out of my dark ages in 2012.

"Ooh! LEGO! I must have!"

"It's on sale?!? Then put it in the cart!"

"Ooh lookie a Jedi I don't have! So what if the vehicle is crap!"

"I know I said only Star Wars and LotR, but that Chima set sure looks cool!"

"50% off! Bring on the Ninjago!"

All this translates to me being an idiot. Sigh. At least 2013 was better. I've learned to (somewhat) control myself.

To sum up, really anything that I thought "do I really want this?" but then bought anyway. And good lord the CMFs! Too much thinking along the lines of "but I could build a _____ MOC and these would be perfect!"
    kekekeUKtsumi
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    There have been quite a few sets that I've regretted purchasing over the years but the one that always stands out to me is #6565 Construction Crew. I picked it up on a whim along with some other sets mainly because I wanted some construction figures (had several such sets as a child) and it was the only construction set Lego had released in years, or at least the only one that made it to stores near me. I hadn't looked carefully at the box and didn't realize that the vehicles were so minimal and constructed via big blocky pieces. It's the only time I've ever opened any Lego set and cursed out loud repeatedly as I looked over the crap inside. I still have it but don't recall where it's at. It got relegated to a box somewhere though I'd be just as inclined to toss it in the trash for as horrible a set as it is.

No, I wouldn't donate it to a charity because I can just imagine someone looking at it and saying, "What #@$@ gave us this piece of crap?" :-D
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,549
    ^ Good call. That is one of the worst of all time. My brother was unfortunate enough to grow up in the juniorized era and was given that disaster along with several others like it. At least he never got Jack Stone sets.
    mafon
  • MommaLaMommaLa Member Posts: 21
    City. It's just not loved here, the police station is unopened, the fire station was built once and then the minifigs moved off to TMNT, and there is a townhouse of some sort that I refuse to break down for bricks since it was LE.
    For myself? The single spiderman set I bought.
  • Short_RoundShort_Round Member Posts: 161
    None, and I have a few 'stinckers'. Actually, I do have one that annoyed me. It's a white cube thing, possibly Space Police, which I bought because it had a good ppp. It's crap.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    prof1515 said:

There have been quite a few sets that I've regretted purchasing over the years but the one that always stands out to me is #6565 Construction Crew. I picked it up on a whim along with some other sets mainly because I wanted some construction figures (had several such sets as a child) and it was the only construction set Lego had released in years, or at least the only one that made it to stores near me. I hadn't looked carefully at the box and didn't realize that the vehicles were so minimal and constructed via big blocky pieces. It's the only time I've ever opened any Lego set and cursed out loud repeatedly as I looked over the crap inside. I still have it but don't recall where it's at. It got relegated to a box somewhere though I'd be just as inclined to toss it in the trash for as horrible a set as it is.

No, I wouldn't donate it to a charity because I can just imagine someone looking at it and saying, "What #@$@ gave us this piece of crap?" :-D

...that was one of my favourite early childhood sets. XD I guess my 4ish-year old self was kinda more the target audience. :-P
  • StormsworderStormsworder Member Posts: 107
    That new castle. Flimsy and badly-designed, nowhere near as good as the Kingdoms castle. I doubt I'll get half my money back if I put this thing on Bricklink
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,188
    I regret the TS Spy plane escape set I bought. I was hoping to easily transform it into a Minifig scale Jet not realizing that LEGO 'phoned it in' and used stickers instead of windows and printed the eyes on the windscreen. I have a few TS sets that, if push comes to shove, will be broken up for parts.. PoP I tried to avoid but have a few Ostrich races and a couple of Battle of Alamuts but again mostly for parts.
  • super_curry_maxsuper_curry_max Member Posts: 73
    tamamahm said:

I think most sets I have purchased have been good choices.
    I do have some
    Star Wars
    Castle
    Prince of Persis
    stashed away.

We will have to see if these were good choices. I suspect my ds will enjoy playing with most of these, but he is not a big Star Wars fan, so those may be questionable buys. I had a hard time passing up the Turbo Tank.I have 2 other Star Wars sets.

what is ds?
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 942
    edited March 2014

what is ds?

I guess....Death Star #10188. Doesn't make sense in his content, but, don't believe it means Dumb S**t.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 717
    c said:

And good lord the CMFs! Too much thinking along the lines of "but I could build a _____ MOC and these would be perfect!"

@yodalicious This hit close to home. The Barristas did make it to Cafe Corner along with President Business to sit outside. I hope I do make that Drive In Big Boy for the Rollerskating Waitresses eventually.

My top duh-buy #4664. It just doesn't fit in anywhere the parts are bleh and the build is too easy.
    Yodalicious
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    tamamahm said:

I think most sets I have purchased have been good choices.
    I do have some
    Star Wars
    Castle
    Prince of Persis
    stashed away.

I read this and instantly saw "Prince of Persist," and nodded sagely.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,084
    To answer the initial question, all of the stock currently sitting in the attic now that the reseller market "aint what it used to be."
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    edited March 2014

what is ds?

"Dear Son" most likely. I've never really understood the "dear" acronyms (DH, DD, etc.), because I've rarely heard anyone use them in actual speech, but they're commonly used in some forums.

FollowsCloselylego0071265
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 717
    ^ "dear son (husband, wife, boss, etc)" in real life is usually said with an air of extreme exasperation with the person being referenced; Frequently accompanied with rolling of the eyes or casting them up in supplication. Is that implied in online usage?
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,613
    I still have doubts, this is one is a mix bag for me. I made a Lego animation with the the Lego Minecraft sets and I would like to do more in the future, however they did cost £95, if I added more I could have got a modular building or another £100+ set.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,143
    Since I've been appointed Leader of the Zombie Thread Resurrection Association by @SumoLego and we've had quite a bit of exciting news recently on Lego (re-)releases. I'm sure it goes without saying some will have regrets paying insane amounts for Taj Mahal or the previous UCS MF.

My biggest regret is probably Star Wars sets in 2011-12. These were the last years I collected SW before I gave up and focused on Super Heroes. So many of the sets were rehashed sprinkled in with the awful Clone Wars sub-theme.
    sid3windrLittleLoriSumoLegokiki180703snowhitie
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,565
    None of them!!
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,171
    Probably most of the SW constraction figures I bought when they were going for $5 at Walmart. The only one I really wanted was K2SO.
    YodaliciousMynattHanzokiki180703
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    Probably most of the SW constraction figures I bought when they were going for $5 at Walmart. The only one I really wanted was K2SO.
    I could have made that exact same comment myself.

Oh well, at least my sons like playing with them.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,143
    ^ Thanks. I bought a Storm Trooper constraction last week and thought it was fun. I am tempted by the other SW figures that are on clearance, but they don't look appealing or recognizable to be worth buying even on sale. I'll leave those to warm the shelves at Ross or Marshall's.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,613
    edited November 2017
    To be honest with myself most of my collection, I wish I had selected a limited number of products to purchase. Main reasoning is due to lack of space, purchased sets for specific pieces and Minifigures, sale items, sets to complete collections etc. I’m cutting down even more, looks like I’m done for the year and next year will only be the 2018 Modular Building and I could do without the rest. Most of that money will be going towards MOCs and other more important non-LEGO stuff. One other reason is they keep bringing out more awesome sets, that way I can very selective even when my choice is limited  to D2C sets.
  • JRLJRL UKMember Posts: 85
    The Simpson’s House. I thought I loved it but watched some reviews afterwards and actually hate it. And so it sits, unopened and unloved. Forever. 
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 100
    JRL said:
    The Simpson’s House. I thought I loved it but watched some reviews afterwards and actually hate it. And so it sits, unopened and unloved. Forever. 

I feel for you. I was lucky enough to watch a video of the house being built and decided not to buy it. it's just not right in so many ways. the Kwik-E-Mart is so much better.
    JRLkiki180703
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 530
    ^ & ^^ what's wrong with The Simpsons House? I regret buying some super heroes sets just for the minifigs, when I could have waited for the prices on the minifigs themselves would drop (as they almost always do with regular sets) and order them from bricklink.
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    Some of the modulars. I could've spent that money on trains! :(
    ericb
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,015
    For me, it's pretty much anything I have that has yellow minifigs in. I have found over time that I much prefer fleshies.
    Also, sets that are several small builds rather than one large one. The small builds just end up with 1 or 2 bits coming off & then they get put in the big tub of mixed stuff. They're not much fun for play & don't look good on display
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    Lol, I usually only get the non human/helmeted ones since I think helmeted/droid characters actually work well with the series and most look good....but $5 at Walmart had me pick up Chirrut Imwe.  Every time I look over at the shelf I think of how much I hate it.  Going to toss him in a drawer and forget about it.
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 100
    wardm said:
    ^ & ^^ what's wrong with The Simpsons House? I regret buying some super heroes sets just for the minifigs, when I could have waited for the prices on the minifigs themselves would drop (as they almost always do with regular sets) and order them from bricklink.

From the outside, it looks really good, but then when you open it up, the layout and sizing just doesn't work for me. every time I see photos of the entry way, I get annoyed because the staircase is on the wrong side. there are little things like that right through the house.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,549
    Recent regret - I bought a #70592 Salvage MEC because it was $11 at Walmart. Parted it out and wondered what I was thinking, not many useful parts and not a fun model. Also got a $40 #70627 Dragon Forge that day so it evens out I suppose. That set is excellent.
  • ToddMyersToddMyers Cincinnati, OHMember Posts: 399
    The 22 sets that I still have left to sell off.
    SumoLegokiki180703pharmjodRainstorm26mak0137LegoPegasister2015
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 746
    Recent regret - I bought a #70592 Salvage MEC because it was $11 at Walmart. Parted it out and wondered what I was thinking, not many useful parts and not a fun model. Also got a $40 #70627 Dragon Forge that day so it evens out I suppose. That set is excellent.
    Really?  I thought the salvage mec was a surprisingly fun model.
    And I definitely like the dragon forge.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    UCS B-Wing. I bought it only because it was 50% off, but it has just sat there in the box for multiple years. I have a hard time selling things, so there it sits. I have no interest in the set otherwise.

I bought a Salvage M.E.C. because it was 15$ and I thought I really wanted it, but I haven't opened it yet and again, another set just sitting there. I mostly would want the two skeletons because of their heads, but is that really worth 15$? Oh well.

CUUSOO Minecraft. I thought it was going to be a good item to hold onto. Looking at bricklink it is basically still MSRP thanks to the Minecraft line they released. Just another set sitting there.

But don't feel bad for me, I have way too many other sets that were just parted out that sit in my bins untouched.
    ruboand
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,422
    No regrets on my LEGO purchases, but I do wish I had kept up better with sorting.
    gmonkey76catwrangler
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,441
    Possibly the Chima sets.
    Although most were 50% off.
    Some of the buildings are also quite good, so maybe it is not regret but just a feeling that I can't use any of the minifigs for anything.

SumoLego
  • Game_onGame_on USAMember Posts: 90
    Just recently I was able to remove something off my regret list. 

Last week I was walking through a smaller mom and pop store that isn't exactly known for selling Lego.  My wife wanted to go so I tagged along just to see if anything caught my eye while she was browsing. 

I started walking down the Lego aisle and didn't notice anything significant right away.  Mostly current release sets.  I began to scan the top shelve, where they stock some of the larger over stock sets, and notice toward the end one of the boxes had a little more dust on it than the others.  I couldn't make out what set it was since the sale sticker was placed over the model number on the box. So I decide to pull it down just to see what it was. 

It was the Milano Spaceship Rescue (76021).  I was shocked to see it.  I wasn't really collecting at the time it was released.  And it wasn't until later when I received the Milano 2.0 that I started looking at the original kit.  But by then it was retired and priced well beyond what I would be willing to pay.  And now it was in my hands for around the same price as the latest model. 

Looks like this one got tucked away in their warehouse and forgotten until it became time to thin out their stock a little.  Needless to say I picked it up and its now in the building queue. 

I also found a few more sets that had been retired that I thought about picking up as well.  But my better half reminded me how many unbuilt sets I had siting around, so I just stuck with the Milano for that trip. 

So I can check that one off the "should have picked it up" list. 
    pharmjodsid3windr
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,171
    Hanzo said:
    Lol, I usually only get the non human/helmeted ones since I think helmeted/droid characters actually work well with the series and most look good....but $5 at Walmart had me pick up Chirrut Imwe.  Every time I look over at the shelf I think of how much I hate it.  Going to toss him in a drawer and forget about it.
    The other one I'm glad I did get was Darth Vader for $7. I'd also consider a classic storm trooper.
    Hanzo
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874
    GB HQ. I've got a town display with FB but bought this anyways. Have not touched it. I can hear it crying out in the dark of the basement.
    BumblepantsFowlerBrickscatwranglerkiki180703
  • Game_onGame_on USAMember Posts: 90
    I just re-read this posts title. Thought it was about sets you regretted NOT buying. Oops, sorry. 
    thedingman5sid3windrMaffyDkiki180703
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 628
    Ninjago 70749: Enter the Serpent and 70737: Titan Mech Battle just because they where 50% off