Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO #21312 Women of NASA Set- Pictures and Set Info

Comments

• pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,874
    Available on Amazon, limit of 2. 
    MattPetersen
  • dutchlegofan50dutchlegofan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 189
    Margaret meets herself 

Great picture! She hasn't changed very much, only older. I think we owe deep respect for all the women who worked for NASA on the Mercury and Apollo programs and beyond. In the sixties women may have played a less visible role (society was organized in a different way than today) but their importance is indispensable. Google Dee O'Hara for example.
    Anyway: I ordered two copies of this set early this morning at [email protected] No problems there. Eagerly awaiting the set!
    tamamahmMattPetersengmonkey76catwranglerKingAlanI
  • Adman1020Adman1020 UKMember Posts: 8
    Can anyone confirm if there are any unique or hard to find pieces in the Shuttle model that would make Bricklinking this difficult? I'm only really interested in that bit of this set.
  • alaskaguyalaskaguy Member Posts: 325
    leetshoe said:
    Why do the women get their own set? Why not just "the people of NASA?"
    Total politics.

It's just too bad that they didn't make it a PLAYABLE set, instead of just something to look at. On the other hand - maybe it is a subtle hint of how Lego views women?  No idea.
    My Saturn 5 came with the bonus vigniete featuring microfigs of  Neil, Buzz, Michael, and Stanley Kubrick and the set where they faked the moon landing. I for one apreciate the attention to detail...
    HAHAAHAHAHAAH. That made me laugh. Thanks (:
    edited November 2017
    Toc13 said:
    Because someone put the set up on Ideas & it had a lot of support
    Yeah....it's too bad he/she/they/it/whatever didn't make it more interesting.
    Toc13 said:
    That you can't see how it is playable doesn't mean it's not.
    That is certainly true. I don't like chickpeas, but the US produced some 550 million pounds of them last year.  So SOMEONE sure likes them.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,682
    You can't say chickpeas anymore it's ladypeas or is that something different? 
    SMC said:
    You can't say chickpeas anymore it's ladypeas or is that something different? 
    Maybe I could make a Chickpeas of NASA set and see where it leads.
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,465
    Looking forward to "men of NASA". 
    edited November 2017
    Aanchir said:
    Strangely enough, I don't remember any complaints about the LEGO Movie Abraham Lincoln fig (a fig of an actual politician) being too political
    Would you like some?
    Aanchir said:
    There's nothing political about celebrating these women's achievements...
    No, there isn't. Unless the only reason one decides to do so is for a reason unrelated to their achievements.
    Aanchir said:
    On another note: Still available at Lego.com (:

Saturn V rocket would probably be #1 on Amazon...if anyone actually had any to sell at RRP.
    Hanzo said:
    Good lord we get it, you don't like it when women are highlighted for achievments, can we just move on?
    You don't get it at all. I like it just fine when women are highlighted for achievements.
    edited November 2017
    MaffyD said:
    If people don't think it's a playable set then they aren't imagineering enough. Not everything needs ray guns and helicopters to play with.
    Do you think there is ANY set that is not playable?
    Do you think there are ANY sets that are A LOT LESS playable than other sets?

If so - what are your candidates?
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,948
    edited November 2017
    Once again... availability does not indicate total that were  available for sale, how a set is selling, number sold, etc.
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 765
    Adman1020 said:
    Can anyone confirm if there are any unique or hard to find pieces in the Shuttle model that would make Bricklinking this difficult? I'm only really interested in that bit of this set.
    This orange piece was the only one I was missing from my collection, so I made it in yellow instead:

https://brickset.com/sets/containing-part-6120639

But I see a few on BrickLink selling for pennies.

Actually, I didn't have any of these blue brackets either, but I thought black was nicer anyway:

https://brickset.com/sets/containing-part-6133720
    BuriedinBricks
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,498
    alaskaguy said:
    MaffyD said:
    If people don't think it's a playable set then they aren't imagineering enough. Not everything needs ray guns and helicopters to play with.
    Do you think there is ANY set that is not playable?
    Do you think there are ANY sets that are A LOT LESS playable than other sets?

If so - what are your candidates?

Nope. And nope. Maybe to me they're less interesting to play with, but that's totally subjective. The very act of building the set is playing with it (or the pieces it contains at the very least). I wouldn't begin to try and limit what people might consider a playable set. This is LEGO, for goodness sake!
    MattPetersen
    MaffyD said:
    Nope. And nope.
    I figured.
    MaffyD said:
    ....but that's totally subjective.
    Of course it is.
    MaffyD said:
    This is LEGO, for goodness sake!
    It sure is.
    MaffyD
    Hanzo said:
    Good lord we get it, you don't like it when women are highlighted for achievments, can we just move on?
    You might find this hard to believe but not everyone who believes in equality wants to see people highlighted based on their gender or skin colour.
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,465
    SumoLego said:

Let's have another discussion about how minidolls are going to bankrupt LEGO and ruin everything.  Zzzzzz...
    Ok... as a middle aged man, mini dolls really do not appeal to me. So here's hoping Lego convert all sets to mini dolls. I may then be able to brake my addiction! :-)
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 306
    edited November 2017
    Aanchir said:
    ...is it bad that the first thing I noticed in this image was not the Women of NASA set in first place, but the meme-orientated board game further along on the same row? :V
    bbeck087
    Hanzo said:
    SMC said: 
    Hanzo said:
    You might find this hard to believe but not everyone who believes in equality wants to see people highlighted based on their gender or skin colour.
    Yeah, I am normally fall pretty far right on most things, but I simply do not see the harm in showcasing women that played a significant part in historical events in a vastly, and I mean vastly male dominated field.  In a perfect world sure, gender or race wouldn't matter, but we haven't gotten there yet.    

Which I can completely understand but your first comment assigned motive to the person who had a different opinion to you. You came close to implying because someone didn't like the set meant they didn't like women.

SumoLego said:
    ^ Insert photo of LEGO Stormtroopers with baseball bats standing around a LEGO horse sprawled on the ground.

But I wouldn't want to annoy the self-appointed Forum Police for posting said photo.  As it would be silly and off-topic.  Although there is no room for sillyness, there is plenty of room for re-hashing tired gender politics arguments.  

Let's have another discussion about how minidolls are going to bankrupt LEGO and ruin everything.  Zzzzzz...

It wasn't the "self-appointed Forum Police" who set the rule that you cant post memes it was the mods, if you don't like it talk to them.

You want less rules on the forum then I do yet you complain when people use this freedom to talk about what they want. You complain about people re-hashing arguments at the same time as re-hashing an argument that has nothing to do with topic.

samiam391 said:
    "Never argue with a fool, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
     - Mark Twain

No comment :)
    I don't think we need to continue this discussion folks. #21312 Women of NASA exists, whether or not one thinks it should. We can absolutely disagree and have a respectful debate but the conversation doesn't seem to be going anywhere and is becoming a bit unpleasant at times.

LEGO is supposed to be fun so let's just get back to that!

Sorry Cap didn't see this before I posted.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,086
    alaskaguy said:

That is certainly true. I don't like chickpeas, but the US produced some 550 million pounds of them last year.  So SOMEONE sure likes them.
    Ever heard of humas?
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 768
    You mean hummus @ecmo47? Unless there's a human variant D=
    SumoLegopharmjod
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    And further down the rabbit hole we go.....
    gmonkey76
    ecmo47 said:
    Ever heard of humas?
    Well, spelled correctly I have. I don't eat that stuff either.  My wife likes it though (:
  • andywilsonandywilson UKMember Posts: 60
    Well, I demonstrated my trendy lefty snowflake political correctness by buying a copy yesterday. All I can comment on so far is the box, which is very impressive for a 20 quid set.

I was keen to get this as I wanted to get my woman scientist wife a copy of the women scientists set, but was unable to get one - so this would have been a Day 1 purchase if I'd been able to get to the Lego Store on Day 1.

Luckily the Brighton Lego Store still had a big pile left yesterday, alongside their big pile of Saturn Vs :)
    omniumtamamahmMattPetersencatwranglerMr_Hobbles
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,844
    SMC said:
    You complain about people re-hashing arguments at the same time as re-hashing an argument that has nothing to do with topic.
    I know somewhere in there is a sense of humor.  Otherwise, you wouldn't post such entertainingly ironic comments.  It's like Inception-level irony.

Nonetheless, I am happy the set is selling well.  As I have mentioned elsewhere, I sincerely hope I can squeeze this into a Modular Museum at some point in the future.
    dutchlegofan50Jern92catwrangler
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 282
    oldtodd33 said:
    I have a serious question for the post above and this is a serious question so don't read anything into it. Who in the world is actually going to "play" with this set? I see it as 90% collector set and maybe 10% bought for kids or by kids. And what could you possibly learn by actually playing with it? 
    I've just ordered two. Mrs. xwingpilot is a science teacher (and yes they call it STEM at her school too) and will have one on display in her lab. The other is for little Miss xwingpilot (age 7). As a professional engineer I fully support encouraging girls to enter this field, and as an added bonus, little Miss xwingpilot likes the idea of displaying LEGO like daddy so this set is perfect for her. We'll be reading the booklet together, and if it inspires her I will be very happy :)
    SUCCESS!!!!!! 
    You have perfectly displayed why this set exists!
    I wish your daughter well in whatever she chooses to be interested in. 
    xwingpilotAanchirMegtheCatcatwranglerCathyVTsnowhitie
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,041
    I've just ordered two. Mrs. xwingpilot is a science teacher (and yes they call it STEM at her school too) and will have one on display in her lab. The other is for little Miss xwingpilot (age 7). As a professional engineer I fully support encouraging girls to enter this field, and as an added bonus, little Miss xwingpilot likes the idea of displaying LEGO like daddy so this set is perfect for her. We'll be reading the booklet together, and if it inspires her I will be very happy :)

I've just been building a re-colour Microfighter X-wing, My daughter saw it & said 'That's just like my toy, is it mine?' (She has a hot wheels Poe's x-wing, I've also made sure she has a Ghost one in her stocking to match the Microfighter one in mine)
    Now, as soon as the catalogue arrives with the Gingerbread man code, I can order the Women of Nasa set for her (& use the paypal code to get a bit off)
    xwingpilotcatwrangler
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,325
    I have to say that I like the #21110 Research Institute a bit more.
    SumoLego
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,281
    and if she wanna be a hairdresser ?
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 765
    Fauch said:
    SirBrickalotOfLegoxwingpilotHanzomadforLEGOAanchirmak0137Jern92
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    omnium said:
    Fauch said:
    She'd love that too!
    Aanchiromniummak0137catwrangler

Mine arrived yesterday, but I have not had a chance to build it yet. I really enjoyed RI, especially the Dino, so it will be interesting comparing the two. Considering how fun the Dino build was, I could see RI being a bit better. 
  • EvilTwinEvilTwin UKMember Posts: 109
    SumoLego said:As I have mentioned elsewhere, I sincerely hope I can squeeze this into a Modular Museum at some point in the future.
    Interestingly the research institute set has made its way into at least one real museum. The V&A "rapid response collecting" unit, which snaps up items that it thinks will have cultural significance in the future, bought one. It's on display (in London) along with the other items on the page:
    http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/r/rapid-response-collecting/

That picture of Margaret Hamilton holding her minifigure version almost brought a tear to my eye. How awesome it must be to be able to look at this Lego set and think "yeah... I did that". It also reminded me that only half of the twelve men who walked on the moon are still alive. I'd guess that the percentage of people who worked on the project as a whole must be about the same. So few people who witnessed first hand one of humanity's greatest achievements and not much chance of it being repeated any time soon :(

LostInTranslationthebeermonkeycatwrangler
    I built it finally. I have to say it was a toss up for me. There are certain things I like about each one. 

I think RI feels all vignette, and I really love building vignettes. I like the details of the Dino, and floor tiling, and Research lab. 

WoN, you spend more time building the stands and less on the actual vignette, so that for me takes away a bit from the build, but the space shuttle and Hubble are pretty great to build. At the same time WoN really looks much nicer from a display standpoint, so I appreciate the display aspect. It will look great on the shelf next to Saturn V. 
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,749
    Got an email to say mine has shipped. Trying to decide whether to keep it or give it as a birthday present to a friend who graduated in aerospace engineering earlier this year... hey, maybe I'll get another one with my VIP points.
    Toc13
  • bbeck087bbeck087 USAMember Posts: 16
    Past two purchases from [email protected] have come in 2 and 3 business days (Saturn V (after months of waiting for it to reappear) and Women of NASA (along with a few other sets), respectively). I was impressed with this shipping time, and I was happy to see all contents were in perfect condition!
    I really like how that looks! Hmmm. I may need to see what pieces aI have in hand for such an upgrade.