Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Brickset Bonus Ball 4th November 2017 The Speedman edition

Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,318
edited November 2017 in Everything else LEGO
For anybody wondering how this works, well, it's simple. Answer the below question, and get a number based on your post in order between 1 and 59 for the UK national lottery bonus ball.  If your number gets drawn on Saturday night you win the prize. If you don't make the first 59 replies, well there's always next week to be a little quicker. Although we take the UK lottery number, participation is not limited to Brickset Forum members from the UK!

This weekend is the London to Brighton veteran car run. A celebration of the 1896 Emancipation Run, when the UK speed limit was raised from a snails pace 2mph to a dizzy 14mph and you no longer needed a man with a red flag walking in front of you where ever you went. We're heading up to London on Saturday as they run a huge car show in Regent St where a hundred of the pre 1905 built cars are displayed along with other classics and supercars. The actual run starts at 6:50am on the Sunday, but a handful of the pre 1905 cars will be running passenger rides around London for some lucky competition winners on the Saturday lunchtime....Me, Mrs & Little Miss Speedman won one of these rides. We get a ride of a lifetime in a car that'll be at least 112 years old.

So this weeks question. Whats the best prize you've ever won in a competition?

This weeks prize will be a random polybag pulled from my stash by my daughter, unless I find something awesome in the LEGO shop Leicester Sq that we are also visiting on Saturday.

Don't forget, we are always looking for draw hosts so if you'd like to volunteer please get in touch with @snowhitie
vizzitorGothamConstructionCoLittleLoriTheOriginalSimonBdonutboyMrJ_NYcmrt1014ricecakeMaffyDFowlerBricks

Comments

• stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,221
    edited November 2017
    Flight tickets to Japan in a tombola. We hadn't been to Japan yet, but we had a great time, and we have been back since. Very relaxing place to spend your holiday!

I keep a list of things we still want to see in Japan (I like lists!), and there's currently still 31 places to visit on it. So we'll still go back at least a couple of times. That list actually keeps growing instead of getting smaller...
    BumblepantsvizzitorsnowhitiericecakeSeijiAmasawa
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,484
    Simple. Tickets to an England vs Australia rugby international including pre match hospitality hosted by Rob Andrew and also being able to attend the post match meal with the two teams again hosted by Rob Andrew. 
    snowhitiestlux
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,873
    I won an iPod from Dodge Trucks by playing a Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots online game that tied into their advertising. Didn't even pay much attention to the fact there were prizes at the time. I just wanted to play the game. Many months later I got an email saying an iPod was coming. This was around 2004-5 so iPods were still pretty new and exciting tech.
  • daniellelego82daniellelego82 Manchester, UKMember Posts: 37
    Im really stumped thinking of something great i have ever won after reading the other 3 responses.
    As a kid we won tickets to the granada studios tour in manchester and we got to meet Sooty, Sweep and Soo. Which for 2 kids who loved the show it was brilliant. 
    snowhitie
  • 1x11x1 Member Posts: 122
    A big bar of chocolate on the tombola at my daughters school.
    snowhitie
  • adiemcadiemc UKMember Posts: 477
    An Iron Maiden watch, a copy of Somewhere in Time and an Iron Maiden book. This was back in 1986 and my best friend at school entered us both. Unfortunately for him I won! 
    snowhitieTheOriginalSimonB
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,521
    A hug chocolate easter Egg as a kid, I couldn't carry it as it was as big as me!
    vizzitorsnowhitiestlux
  • iliketoastiliketoast AustraliaMember Posts: 264
    Signed up for a charity walk for premature babies, and won a thermometer as a lucky foot prize
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,841
    The lightsaber trophy from the 2016 Battle of the Bricks.
  • kwkwkwkw USAMember Posts: 1,169
    Won a nice portable speaker from a friends baby shower :)
  • CoviCovi BelgiumMember Posts: 290
    I won once in a lottery for a sport club a pancake pan.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,088
    A Grand Emporium for being an exhibitor at Brick Magic in Charlotte a few years ago. 
    snowhitiestluxSeijiAmasawa
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,953
    edited November 2017
    When I was much younger, I won this set of 12 solid plastic dinosaurs in a newspaper competition. I was so excited when it got delivered, and remember asking the postman, "Are these my dinosaurs?!" (he didn't know :)

British National History Museum dinosaurs
    snowhitievizzitorBumblepantsGothamConstructionCoTheOriginalSimonBstluxricecakeAddicted2Oxygen
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,453
    edited November 2017
    Would have to be my #5004590 LEGO Bat-Pod.
    vizzitorGallardoLUricecakeSeijiAmasawa
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 233
    Being the unlucky sod I am, I've not won anything really as an adult but as a child, I remember winning a Downfall game from MB. The problem was it was the German version so I couldn't read the instructions and never knew how to play it properly. So me and my sister would just spin the dials and fight over who'd won.

Apparently you're supposed to "take turns"...pfft, that's no fun!

• snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,871
    edited November 2017
    I was most excited about winning a pack of colouring pencils with a drawing competition when I was younger.

I was most upset when my entry for a detective short story competition was cancelled because of 'plagiarism', apparantly I used the same method as in one of the Miss Marple books that I hadn't read that time, so it was a coincidence.

I had most fun when my husband won 2 tickets to Silverstone Grand Prix. He entered a competition with ING, even though he only had 3 pounds on that account. It was a great day out and we saw some great cars!

I was most surprised when I received a great Leia-statue from winning the bonus ball one time. After entering for almost every week for about a year and never winning, I thought it would never happen :)

Great question, thanks for hosting!

@arathemis great storytelling! you made me laugh.
    Bumblepantsstluxcmrt1014vizzitordonutboyecmo47
  • alldarkeralldarker NetherlandsMember Posts: 217
    Best prize I ever won was two all expenses paid tickets (including a return flight) to see Oasis in concert in Birmingham, back in 1997, when Oasis mania was HUGE. Travis played support, which was pretty nice too. It was a raffle which I entered by buying an Oasis CD single. 
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 338
    I've never really won anything. Every week I try to get my submission in for this, in hopes my luck will change. But alias... It's ok though, all good fun.
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 910
    The August monthly building contest of course!!!!
    stluxsnowhitie
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,934
    A year's supply of tea. 1240 bags!
  • Raven13Raven13 FifeMember Posts: 16
    I once won a Raleigh bmx mag burner when I was a kid. Limited idition in White was really cool. Any chance you can get  a Leicester minifigure for the draw for all of us that stay north of the border and unlikely to get to London anytime soon. Cheers.
    Speedman29
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 729
    The first ever bendybadger bonus ball raffle back in May 2015.
    I won the #5002938 Stormtrooper Sargeant polybag.
    stluxGoldchainsricecakegmonkey76SeijiAmasawa
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,637
    The Nexo Knights Motor Horse Poly from iliketoast's bonusball. That was my first win ever!

• dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 755
    A LEGO Star Wars TeeFury t-shirt from Brickset!
    stlux
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,774
    I won a fruit cake once as a kid in a guess the weight of the cake competition.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,233
    I won tickets to the 2010 Winter Olympic figure skating finale in a daily photo contest the IOC was holding. My entry was posted on their website and Facebook page and everything so for a crappie amateur photographer it was pretty cool to see.
    stluxricecake
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,046
    Interesting question!

I won a unique autographed Dogma poster 15 or so years ago.  Still my favorite poster!
    GothamConstructionCoricecakedonutboy
  • SirBrickalotOfLegoSirBrickalotOfLego WalesMember Posts: 412
    I think maybe a £10 W H Smiths voucher in school for good attendance? But I’m sure once I win this it’ll change ;)
  • norm103norm103 Member Posts: 285
    A gift card to target. 
  • LittleLoriLittleLori CanadaMember Posts: 136
    I wow a bank account with $25 at the local credit union for my entry in a colouring contest when I was six. I don't think I have been lucky in any contests since.
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,325
    A lifetime subscription to Volume cd/magazine which lasted about 15 issues over 3 or 4 years until they folded.
  • Wicksy80Wicksy80 Northern IrelandMember Posts: 557
    An iPad mini purely for having a bank account and using online banking and my debit card. Didn't even know about it till they phoned and said I'd won!
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,954
    My best prize (so far) which still has pride of place on display was a Fiat Yamaha Team shirt and a Valentino Rossi AGV crash helmet, both signed by the man himself. Being a big fan of his (and bike racing in general) this was an amazing prize.

stlux
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 451
    A Brickset Bonus Ball.  =)
    Toc13
  • MextenMexten MexicoMember Posts: 60
    The best (and only) thing I have ever won was a badminotn racket as a kid.
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 477
    I once won a year long membership to the Zoo, but to enter the contest you had to already be a member (which I still am to this day). Long story story short, I saved $129 that year, which meant more Lego for me that year!
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 711
    I won a Grand Emporium when the Sun were giving away polybags. If you found a golden 2x4 brick in a polybag you phoned a number, gave them the number on the brick and they told you what you had won. A really disinterested guy told me I had won a Star Wars minifigure. About six month later DHS turned up with a massive Lego shipping box. A letter explained that they had run out of my specific prize, but this gift was of equal or more value. Far and away the best thing I have won.
    BumblepantsricecakevizzitorkhmellymelstluxTheOriginalSimonBSeijiAmasawaAddicted2Oxygensnowhitie
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,147
    The F1 2017 game for my PS4 from an auto racing publication or a $25 Amazon Gift Card for a team competition thing at work. 
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    edited November 2017
    As my name indicates I used to play LU (Lego Universe) they held monthly in game contests for real sets and other in game prizes. In the course of a year I had won around $1800 USD. In physical sets. One of which was the beautiful Imperial Flagship. 

(If you ever tried racing in LU, you probably saw the times I was running. And hated me for it)
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,052
    A copy of Valley of the Kings card game in a GeekGold lottery.
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 348
    Never won anything big myself - just little things like £25 on premium bonds or small toys.

But my Mum won a £1000 diamond once and my sister won a pair of tickets to the World Cup Final in Paris in 1998.
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 629
    Haven't won any real competitions.. 
    But I did win a giveaway from AFOL man and got a small classic space set
  • MrJ_NYMrJ_NY A flick missle away from Brickagara FallsMember Posts: 592
    Won tickets to a concert & all winners that week were in a lottery,I won and got to see the dress rehearsal the day before the concert & met the band.
  • InfinitymanInfinityman United StatesMember Posts: 110
    Hmmm... I guess it was a stipend for top employees! Much of it went to LEGO purchases.
  • cmrt1014cmrt1014 Member Posts: 396
    edited November 2017
    At one time I was entering the grocery store customer service surveys that have become so popular here.  The ones that are printed on the tail of one's receipt each time.  I won a $100 gift card to the grocery store.

Each time a package from @bendybadger arrives is always an outstanding day!  

Thanks for hosting @Speedman29
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    Thanks for hosting!!!!!

A box of donuts on Halloween playing Bingo at school in 5th Grade.
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,036
    I won a night away in a local swanky hotel for me and my wife which was nice :-)
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,612
    I won a go-kart one time in a competition. And not a little dinky one. A legit, two person racing go-kart. 

It was awesome until my sister crashed it two hours after we won it...
    FowlerBricks