Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Lego Cavern

TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,409
Hello!

I am after a little inspiration and advice for a potential project.

I have a picture frame that is around 4 studs deep and 50 studs long and 30 studs high. 

I am thinking of building a Lego Cavern in cross section in it  (if that makes sense). With stalactites hanging from the roof and perhaps a couple of cavemen enjoying a nice mammal diner.

The trouble is my building skills are pants, so I need some models to copy for the rock walls of the cavern and the stalactites and stalagmites.

Are thereany official sets that I could learn from of you you know of any suitable MOCs with free instructions that I could learn from?

Thanks 

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,393
    This is one of the coolest caves out there ...

For yours, at only 4 studs depth you will have problems with making it look three dimensional - just a minifigure facing sideways needs 4 studs depth.

However, if you want it to look like a cave, you could easily copy the foreground of the picture above, repeating something similar at the top as well. You just need a variety of tall slopes, with some 1x1 cheese slopes on top.At the edges you'd be able to do a few layers to give a bit of three dimensionality but you'll need to keep the foreground clear in the middle if you want minifigs and so on.
    LegogramLego_StarricecakeMattPetersen
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,409
    @CCC that is indeed a cool cavern. I really like some of the rocks at the bottom left. As you suggest I aim to make it a cave, so I will be looking to build almost an "O" shape of rocks. 

I did make a small mistake, my frame is 6 stud deeps, so the minifigures will have a little room, but won't be able to go mental or swing their cat. 
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,388
    You could add a photo/backdrop behind it to give it the illusion of more depth? 

I like the idea!
    TheFew
    You could add a photo/backdrop behind it to give it the illusion of more depth? 

I like the idea!
    Yeah perhaps a backdrop of a long deep cave.

I am thinking of building it in an Ikea Kasseby frame, which is mounted horizontally. 
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,430
    The #76052 Classic Batcave set has some pretty cool sections that may fill the bill. Not as amazing overall as the one @CCC posted, but you can download the instructions to see how they get put together.
    TheFew
    The #76052 Classic Batcave set has some pretty cool sections that may fill the bill. Not as amazing overall as the one @CCC posted, but you can download the instructions to see how they get put together.
    Thanks for the idea. I will take a peek.
  • KlintanKlintan SwedenMember Posts: 52
    #79110 Silver Mine Shootout might contain some ideas on how you can build rock formations.

This cave almost look like it was built with lego: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QK_R0GJLr50/VzIJfPxp4SI/AAAAAAAARcg/r1041PxcOt0gwtZjhlUn6GiuauEB7bycgCKgB/s1600/10.jpg
    Ohh thanks. I have forgotten about part 54782!