Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

2017 Monthly Building Contest - October: TRA LA LA!!!

BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,280
Hello builders!

For my first go at hosting a Monthly Build comp, I've gone with one of my favourite things - Music!

I'd like to see anything music related.  You could go for...

- A model of a musical instrument
- A scene / vignette of a musical theme: a band playing, a conductor with an orchestra, somebody putting their feet up listening to an album, a DJ spinning the wheels of steel...
- Pick a lyric from a favourite song and build something that illustrates the words.  If you do this, please quote the song and the lyrics so we can all appreciate it properly!
- Anything else that your muse suggests, as long as you can make a convincing argument that it falls under the heading of 'Music'.

The prize will be one MISB #40225 Olympic Mascot set from Rio last year (I say mint, it had to survive 14 hours in my suitcase, so pretty-good-sealed-in-box is more like it), and I'm sure I can find something in The Box Of Polybags.

The Rules

- We'd like a new MOC rather than recycling anything previously built
- Fit within the theme of Music. The above suggestions are just a guide, feel free to do your own thing
- If building a scene, please restrict it to no larger than a 32x32 baseplate
- Please post no more than three photos in the thread - if you'd like to post more, please link to an external account such as Flickr
- If it's not immediately obvious what you've built, or if you're illustrating a particular song, please give a description
- The winner will probably be the post with most likes, but I reserve the right to pick something else if I really, really like it 
- Only pictures that are posted before midnight (GMT) on Oct 31st will be eligble

Happy building!

Boo
snowhitieLostInTranslationBumblepantsMAGNINOMINISUMBRASirBrickalotOfLegoTheOriginalSimonBFowlerBricksbandit778LegogramcatwranglerShibkezGothamConstructionCoSirBendavetheoxygenmanricecakeMr_CrossthenateraterHangedSanchezstlux

Comments

• catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,730
    OMG I have an idea! And for once it may be an idea I can actually execute in the timeframe! :D
    LostInTranslationLegogramBumblepantsTheOriginalSimonBsnowhitie
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,048
    Damn, I've had a few music based MOCs on my to do list for ages but very very unlikely to have time.......maybe if I take a box of parts to work I could build on my lunch break :-P
    LostInTranslationLegogramTheOriginalSimonBsnowhitieGothamConstructionCo
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,779
    Great idea!
    Got toadmit, when I saw the title I thought of something else... My son is reading 'captain underpants' books at a crazy rate and keeps going 'tra la laaaa' - that's his 'war-cry'. In totally brainwashed!  Glad we don't have to make him in Lego...
    SumoLegothenaterater
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,496
    Where's my Captain Underpaaaaaants?
    SirBrickalotOfLegoFowlerBrickssnowhitiegmonkey76CM4SJackad7
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,565
    Okay, here's more pictures. I was in a rush when I made the first post, so I didn't get to properly describe it. Here's the gallery: https://postimg.org/gallery/ms9q79mo/.

Pic 1: Boom-Cam operator's area. The seat swivels, the boom moves up and down and the camera itself can be re-positioned.

Pic 2: Cave Batman pounds the drums.

Pic 3: A very curious Green Ninja wonders why there are three Batmans...erm...Batmen??

Pic 4: Disco Batman is the lead singer, using a improvised mic (I don't have the mic piece)

Pic 5: Glam Bat and Robin provide an important part of the song with their guitars. 

Pic 6: Another Cameraman records the show with a rather large camera.

Pic 7: An extreme top view of the show and all the screaming fans.

Pics 8,9 and 10: Various views of the stage.

Pic 11: A bit of backstage view. Apparently the dude on the left is not a fan of Batman (at least when Batman sings). 

Pic 12: Joker looks on in dismay.

Well,there you have it! A full VIP tour of Batman In Concert. Good thing too, because all the tickets sold out. ;)

TheOriginalSimonBcatwrangler
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,280
    Very nice work!

Come on everybody!  Are you going to let @FowlerBricks have an uncontested win?

Can anyone compete with BatRock?
    LostInTranslationFowlerBricksstlux
    An uncontested win would be nice. :)
  • SirBrickalotOfLegoSirBrickalotOfLego WalesMember Posts: 404
    ^ Wouldn’t count on it, I’ve been working on mine since October 1st... :P
    BooTheMightyHamsterstluxFowlerBricks
  • HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 310

At some point, hopefully, I will have some time to build something for this...

• TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,242
    Inspiration struck last night, so building will commence this evening...  And I also have to sort out the example build for next month, but at least I have known the theme for a while (with spares just in case someone chose the same concept for a previous month).
    snowhitie
    Hmm...are multiple entries allowed? I feel the beginnings of another inspiration tickling the back of my mind...
    snowhitie
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,280
    I don't see why not.  Build away!
    FowlerBrickssnowhitie
    Yes! Building has commenced!
    @snowhitie that's brilliant. 
    M_BosssnowhitieSprinkleOtter
    Clever!
    snowhitie
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,430
    ^^^ Love that song! And a great recreation of it in Lego @snowhitie - I reckon kiss batman would do a mean interpretation as well.
    snowhitie
    Nooo! Not more entries! What happened to the uncontested win!? ;)
    MaffyD
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 392
    That is great little build - though my first guess on the song title was 'Going Underground'!
    snowhitie
    Very nice!  I thought for a minute that you'd laid out the dark red edging at the front in the pattern of a piano keyboard.
    Love the facial expressions!
    Love them all, but Bleeding Gums is a cracker.
    SirBrickalotOfLego
  • SirBrickalotOfLegoSirBrickalotOfLego WalesMember Posts: 404
    @TheOriginalSimonB Thanks a lot!
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 778
    Very nice!  I thought for a minute that you'd laid out the dark red edging at the front in the pattern of a piano keyboard.
    Love the facial expressions!
    Oh damn, I really should have thought of that. Was actually going for a generic pattern.
    @TheOriginalSimonB that second one is great (and very season-approriate). Very original, is it wrong of me that I'm trying to imagine their music in my head?
    @snowhitie it has to be this:

(Takes a minute or two to get going)
    snowhitiebandit778
    When will the winner be picked?
    Thank you all for your contributions - a varied and excellent selection.  My congrats to one and all.

I shall deliberate on the entries and announce the winner later today.

Unfortunately, because all my Lego is stored in my loft, and I had to have surgery last week, I am unable to perform the requisite gymnastics to get up there.  So apologies in advance, but the winner will have to wait a couple of weeks for their prize.

There will be a prize though - fear not!
    FowlerBricksricecakesnowhitiebandit778stlux
    Wow! Awesome! Thanks so much!
    ricecake
    Congratulations.
    FowlerBricks
    Welll done @FowlerBricks , I liked your violin too! Thanks for the honoureable mention too, I really enjoyed this contest, love trying to represent words in fysicial from (duelling banjo's really stiched me up BTW). Whish I'd had more time this month, but glad I managed to get that one finished :)
    This arrived today! Super excited about the Lester fig. Also found the lack of parts count on the Bus box really interesting. I'd seen sets like that before, but never actually gotten one. Thanks a ton @BooTheMightyHamster!!

Speedman29BooTheMightyHamsterbandit778snowhitiestluxTheOriginalSimonB
    Glad it finally arrived!!  :o)
    FowlerBricks
    Yes indeed! I was beginning to think that it had gotten lost. But it showed up safe and sound!