Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Missed out on Lester?

2»

Comments

• AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 317
    edited October 2017
    bandit778 said:
    Seems it's going to be as popular with sellers as it is with colletors so I hope they have a huge run on these.
    Asked the manager when visiting yesterday, and they're expecting it to be a permanent thing now. Happy days!
    Shib said:
    I really don't think it is a different hat, given that same hat piece has just been used in black in Ninjago City. I think it's just the angling of the picture that's making people think that it's a different hat.
    Got one in front of me here, and it's 100% the same bowler hat piece as the original Lester. In fact, I'm looking at pics of the original figure from the launch and I can't really see any big differences between 'em - the new one does have some subtle backprinting, but there's literally zero photos of the original's back online so I dunno whether that one's got backprinting or not.
    bandit778
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,697
    I’ve just picked up mine. Unfortunately it’s limited to three per person, they are strict on the limits. There are plenty available if you plan to make a trip down. I won’t be able to get any extras.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,826
    I must get some empty packaging ...

omniumAyliffeSumoLegogmonkey76AdeelZubairBumblepantsMynatt
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,277
    CCC said:
    I must get some empty packaging ...

Possibly the most appropriate user name ever.
    omniumSumoLegoAdeelZubairBumblepantsMynattCM4Skiki180703
    Ayliffe said:
    Got one in front of me here, and it's 100% the same bowler hat piece as the original Lester. In fact, I'm looking at pics of the original figure from the launch and I can't really see any big differences between 'em - the new one does have some subtle backprinting, but there's literally zero photos of the original's back online so I dunno whether that one's got backprinting or not.
    I've got a fake "original" one. This is the back printing on the fake...

I assume they copied the real thing.

• omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 831
    edited October 2017
    Shib said:
    I really don't think it is a different hat, given that same hat piece has just been used in black in Ninjago City. I think it's just the angling of the picture that's making people think that it's a different hat.
    After reading @Mr_Hobbles comment on the front page article, I think you're right, Shib. Looks like it's the very same hat. I'm rather happy about that. I'll have to see if I can get into central London again soon :)
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 410
    I'd love one of these if anyone has an extra
  • RakulRakul USAMember Posts: 183
    Hopefully the price will come down a bit for those of us in the States.  Would be great to add to my collection.
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 620
    I would love to get one, so if the bulk to the US thing comes to pass, add me to the list!
  • mklegomklego Member Posts: 109
    Hi, can I please add my name to the "I would like 1 or 2 please" list? If anyone can help please get in touch thanks!
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,697

Yesterday’s surprising news turned out to be a re-release in the form of 40308 - Lester. The original run of 275 Minifigures were given out via a raffle during the opening weekend of the Leicester Square caused quite a frustration amongst AFOLs. Once they were out into the wild prices stayed pretty steady around £1,000-£2,000.

With good intentions I headed down to the Leicester Square, LEGO Brand Store just after it opened today to pick up a couple for myself and some AFOL friends. Firstly I grabbed my three copies for myself without any issues. 100s were being refilled as I was in the queue as they were being shifted very quickly, most people picking up more than one. Anyone who’s planning a trip to the store anytime soon you won’t be disappointed. They’ve limited it to three per household so it should stop resellers to an extent, several have already listed online for more than £20. I’d suggest planning a trip down to the store instead, you’ll get an experience in addition to the ploybag.

Once I had purchased my first three I thought it was best to head downstairs for better luck with the others. Turns out they rejected the sale, looks like the manager must have pointed me out to the other staff members given I never seen those employees before. Tried one last time and finally and luck struck on the first floor again! Didn’t bother with a third round otherwise it could’ve gotten worse.

As I was leaving I bumped into Mark (Manager of Hamleys, London) which was only around the corner. Turns out he also brought along the one given out last November and had a nice picture taken with the large model of Lester whilst holding both Lester Minifigures. Whilst leaving he mentioned he enjoyed my building and event coverage of 75192 I posted two weeks ago.

AyliffeLegogramOrmskirkBricksAddicted2Oxygensid3windromnium
  • OrmskirkBricksOrmskirkBricks England, UKMember Posts: 265
    edited October 2017
    I also popped down to the Leicester Square store over lunchtime and picked three up of these. I was also told 3 per household, but I didn't push it! I found the majority of the stock were upstairs hanging on the queue rails should you need to pop in and out quickly.
  • brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 521
    ^ likewise, they seemed to have a ton of stock but they were very popular. 
    OrmskirkBricks
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 523
    Would anyone be able to pick up 2 for nephew and myself? 

No issue paying for the shipping.
    ^ sorry extra already promised 
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 255
    l wish every lego store had something like this
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,435
    Wow, people are really stoked about this minifig. Okay the torso with jacket, tie, and Union Jack waistcoat print, as well as the happy face print are nice, and that umbrella is cool too, though personally for 6 quid I couldn't care lester.
    OrmskirkBricksCM4SSirBrickalotOfLegoCCCcatwranglersnowhitiemithridate
  • baublitzbaublitz KansasMember Posts: 53
    SumoLego said:
    kwkw said:
    Can any Londoners help me out with selling me a couple of these Lester polys? 
    I'll take 50 and happily distribute them to folks in the US!

I know the 'original' figure in the blister pack/clam shell is still special, but I am happy the figure will be more widely available.  
    I'll buy one please!
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 913
    ^Ditto, for 2!  But I guess with the limit of 3 per transaction, I guess we'll see how this plays out.
    madforLEGO
  • M_BossM_Boss Houston, TexasMember Posts: 255
    Someone's got 10 up on bricklink, so maybe some hope for us across the pond.
    Legogram
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 505
    I would love to get one too!! Open to trades or cash.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,552
    Wow, people are really stoked about this minifig. Okay the torso with jacket, tie, and Union Jack waistcoat print, as well as the happy face print are nice, and that umbrella is cool too, though personally for 6 quid I couldn't care lester.
    maybe like the falcon, if it didn't previously cost 2000 bucks, maybe people wouldn't be so much in a hurry to get him.
    dmcc0
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,285
    Soo... can we finally put to bed that LEGO puts little value in the inflated prices of the secondary market?

$3.99!  No need to spend thousands of dollars on a super-exclusive minifig.

(They could have atleast put him in the London Bus set, or Big Ben, and move some more of that stock.)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,167
    edited October 2017
    SumoLego said:
    Soo... can we finally put to bed that LEGO puts little value in the inflated prices of the secondary market?

$3.99!  No need to spend thousands of dollars on a super-exclusive minifig.

(They could have atleast put him in the London Bus set, or Big Ben, and move some more of that stock.)
    Well aren't they 6.99 GBP? I see the point though. The problem is if they are only sold in one store, having 100's or not (and limiting them, which I can definitely see why, but that also means that it will be hard to find someone that can get them in bulk numbers AND be able to come up with an agreement to sell them for basically retail to a bunch of folks outside of their area)
    I just would like it more if LEGO stores worldwide were able to sell such figures/sets, or at least be able to order one if someone comes into any LEGO store and asks.
    SumoLego said:

I'm a bit surprised that they don't do a free Lester polybag with Big Ben, instore only. It would cost next to nothing for them.
    catwrangler
  • cakeinmilkcakeinmilk London, UKMember Posts: 33
    CCC said:
    SumoLego said:

I'm a bit surprised that they don't do a free Lester polybag with Big Ben, instore only. It would cost next to nothing for them.
    I think because they can sell them easily for £5.99 each.
  • HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 310

Going to have to get a couple of these! Shame it wasn't there when I was in that store last month though...

CCC said:
    SumoLego said:

I think because they can sell them easily for £5.99 each.
    They can, but then they could have used them to tempt people to buy a £180 set such as Big Ben. People were paying multiple hundreds of pounds for Lester. It wouldn't surprise me if people bought a Big Ben set as a way to get a Lester if he was (at least for a time) an exclusive freebie with that set.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,318
    Awesome, anyone want to see Lester & a friend or two Adelaide way?
    xiahna
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    Did anyone in the US become the focal point to receive from Europe and distribute in the Us yet?
    There is a purchase limit of three so I don't imagine anyone has enough quantity to make it worthwhile 
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,616
    @piratemania7 With the limits imposed at the store it looks like anyone on the west side of the pond are going to have to be patient. Of course there are going to be people who have them for sale on Ebay but that will cost us a bit more. There was someone on BL yesterday that had 9 listed for 25 pounds each but I can't find it now. Probably sold out.  BL doesn't list the set number yet or the inventory. 
    oldtodd33 said:
    @piratemania7 With the limits imposed at the store it looks like anyone on the west side of the pond are going to have to be patient. Of course there are going to be people who have them for sale on Ebay but that will cost us a bit more. There was someone on BL yesterday that had 9 listed for 25 pounds each but I can't find it now. Probably sold out.  BL doesn't list the set number yet or the inventory. 
    Yes, they were listing as a custom item so once sold out, they are no longer kept in the price guide. They are going for a similar price on ebay.

Give it a while, if there are large stocks they will soon become more widely available.

• mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 538
    I'd like to throw my hat into the ring to get one from someone local to the store. Though it will depend on what the cost is to get it shipped :)
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    Well the Brickset news article was very timely as I'm working in London this week!

Picked up my three today: http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/542314#Comment_542314

Saw several other AFOLs at the counter doing the same...

OrmskirkBricks
  • gunther.schnitzelgunther.schnitzel Member Posts: 92
    edited October 2017
    Chancing my arm here :) , I won't be in London to get this in the near future, I'll swap a used 40139 Gingerbread House, 100% complete with box and instructions and spares for 2 x 40308, Lester sealed and 1 x 853670, LEGO Iconic Christmas Ornament Snowman, MISB.

I'll pay postage to UK, you pay postage to Ireland. PM me if interested, can link to my bricklink/eBay if concerned about low post count.
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,406
    I picked some up for a couple of forum members today.  The guy on the till said he thought the 'only three per household' rule would be dropped as soon as the fuss died down in a month or so.
    gmonkey76snowhitieTheFewmadforLEGO
  • B1uesevenB1ueseven SeattleMember Posts: 2
    Very new to the forums here, but I basically am in London now, from the US, and have the ability to get some Lester's. 

I have come in possession of a few, that I'd be looking to trade for any particular SW polybags that have come out in the past (Chrome ST, possibly Yularen, etc.)

Not sure how to go about this and prove myself, other than photos of my current stash, and/or a link to another site where I've already started a distribution queue. 

Mainly doing this service because I'm here for another week and have a great opportunity. If you'd rather just buy one, feel free to PM me and we can work something out. Thanks!
    FowlerBricksgmonkey76
    I picked some up for a couple of forum members today.  The guy on the till said he thought the 'only three per household' rule would be dropped as soon as the fuss died down in a month or so.
    It is good they are doing it for now. I think we all know if they didn't, then someone would go in, buy all the stock and stick them on ebay or BL.
  • RakulRakul USAMember Posts: 183
    They are  slowly making there way to BL and reducing the prices there.  Hopefully some time they will drop to reasonable :)
    MegtheCat
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    edited October 2017
    Opened one of my three...

FowlerBricksomniumbandit778mithridate
  • WhiteDoveWhiteDove AustraliaMember Posts: 88
    He is pretty special. I will look for one on Bricklink when the prices come down, to give to hubby when I give him the London skyline set and the mini London bus set. He worked in London when we lived in the UK for just over five years (a few moons ago now) and I think a little display of these three items will bring back nice memories for him. 
    bluedragondmcc0
  • ateagueateague EnglandMember Posts: 171
    My good friend managed to pick me up 3. Result! 
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 505
    WhiteDove said:
    He is pretty special. I will look for one on Bricklink when the prices come down, to give to hubby when I give him the London skyline set and the mini London bus set. He worked in London when we lived in the UK for just over five years (a few moons ago now) and I think a little display of these three items will bring back nice memories for him. 
    I will show this post to my wife and see what happens!