Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

STEAM 2017 (Oct 7-8th, UK)

andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,649
I'm hoping to get to STEAM in Swindon this year (though I've said that for a number of years).

As a first-time visitor what would be the 'AFOL tricks' to getting the most out of the experience. ie best times to visit, length of stay, what to bring/leave at home, any bargains or must-sees etc

Any thoughts appreciated.
Legopants

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,357
    For the very best experience, exhibit!
    stluxCCCAdzbadboynexanderLego_Star
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,613
    How long left to apply for exhibiting? I need to apply for Brickish first.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,379
    Applications are being submitted as we speak. Sign up for Brickish, then go on the forums and there's a thread which will tell you how to go on the website and submit a model to exhibit.

Might be worth you noting in your application for Brickish that you'd like to exhibit at STEAM, as it may help expediate the process. :)
    DeMontesAdzbadboy
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,649
    So, how about those just visiting? What time and day is less busy for an AFOL to get a good look around?

I'm guessing it's better to buy tickets in advance despite the booking fee?
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 1,964
    edited August 2017

@andhe - I've always been on the Sunday - apparently not quite as full as on the Saturday.
    The halls start to empty at around 15:30, allowing you to take plenty of photos without treading on small persons.

Last year, I arrived in Swindon late on Saturday afternoon and bought my Sunday ticket then. I don't think there was too much of a queue on the Sunday morning though.

Hopefully there'll be the Robot Wars event again this year! :-)

andheomniumLostInTranslation
    Legopants said:

Don't worry, there will be! :) I'm really looking forward to it!
    flecskiLegopantsLego_Star
    @Paperballpark - me too! Last year's tournament was great!
  • DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 188
    Great to hear Robot Wars is back - that was superb entertainment last year!
    I've always booked in advance and turned up first thing on the Saturday - that way you get to skip the queues going in and head straight for the retail stalls before anyone else.
    andhe
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    ^ Love this!
    PaperballparkLego_StarTheBrickLadd
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 277
    ^^ That looks worryingly sturdy... time to construct an Exoclaw Disassembler  :-)
    Paperballparkomnium
    edited September 2017
    ^^ That looks worryingly sturdy... time to construct an Exoclaw Disassembler  :-)
    exoclaw isn't capitalised ;)

You're welcome to try! I deliberately made it flipperbot-proof, to counter Andrew Harvey's new robot.
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 723
    Ooo! Exciting - I'm planning on going to this for the first time. What day/time will Robot Wars happen? It sounds like Saturday afternoon, which would be perfect for me.
    omnium said:
    Ooo! Exciting - I'm planning on going to this for the first time. What day/time will Robot Wars happen? It sounds like Saturday afternoon, which would be perfect for me.
    It should happen both days. I think there were 3 sessions each day last year, but I could be mistaken.
    omniumLego_Star
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,497
    I'd recommend going to one of the first sessions, and being early, as the viewing area fills up quickly and if you go to the last one and it's already pretty busy you might not get to see much. 
    omnium
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,497
    edited September 2017
    Legopants said:

@andhe - I've always been on the Sunday - apparently not quite as full as on the Saturday.
    The halls start to empty at around 15:30, allowing you to take plenty of photos without treading on small persons.

Last year, I arrived in Swindon late on Saturday afternoon and bought my Sunday ticket then. I don't think there was too much of a queue on the Sunday morning though.

@andhe I've exhibited the last few years so it's hard to remember the show just from a visitor perspective :-) But I think @Legopants' advice is sound - if you want to be able to take decent pictures of the models I'd recommend probably staying later on when the crowds of kids thin out a bit.  

Regarding the retail stands, it depends on what you are expecting. There are often retired sets available from the traders but not necessarily aimed to sell at AFOLs, I would say. On the other hand, there is usually a pop-up Lego store with limited stock so if you want to buy something fairly recently released (an October 1st release like the Winter Village train station for example), it's probably better to arrive early on Saturday and head there straight away, as they may well sell out during the day/weekend. 

If you want to take part in building the mosaic, that can often be completed by mid afternoon Sunday, so again better to do that early. 

If you want to chat with exhibitors then later on the day may be better too when it's quieter, as kids *will* just talk over you or shove you out of the way if they think you are standing talking for too long or when they want to see or ask something! 

It's all really great fun though, hope you make it! :-) 
    omniumLegopantsmessyandhe
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    If the mosaic is running after 4pm on Sunday we have done something wrong! 
    ShibLostInTranslationmessyandheDeMontes
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited September 2017
    ^ In fairness we usually do at Steam! Such as only printing 1/3 of the instructions...
    messyCalvSirKevbags
    Thanks @LostInTranslation, looks like I'll most likely be there on the Saturday morning (due to timings of other stuff) so I'll hit the retail stands first.

I'm not really after taking a lot of photos, other people will be much better at that than me, but thanks for the advice.
    LostInTranslation
  • LegoFan1970LegoFan1970 Member Posts: 75

For the last few Brick shows I've arranged trades with fellow bricksetters so if anyone has got any New & Sealed Lego sets they are looking to trade/swap send me a pm, to let me know what you've got and what sets you are looking for, I'm local to this show so can meet up on either day to do trades.

Crikey - just 3 weeks to go! 
    LostInTranslation
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 306
    Got the train tickets and hotel room booked, so I'll def be displaying this year for the first time - looking forward to it!
    LostInTranslationPaperballparkLegopants
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 1,181
    Been on the saturday for the last couple of years. Got there an hour before opening and was front of the queue to buy a ticket. Carpark is £1 for the first 4 hours I think so it was a whirlwind tour for me.
    Hoping to go on Sunday this year with my daughter. Hopefully the carpark isn't too much of a bunfight
    Legopants
  • alexwilalexwil UKMember Posts: 359
    Any ideas what the Big/showcase build is this year? Assuming there is one! 
    alexwil said:
    It doesn't really work like that - people just bring what they bring, and most of the time there happens to be one or more really large builds. Brick to the Past normally have something exceptional and large.

For the past two years, I've taken my Manchester Brickadilly railway station. This year, I'll be bringing my model of the Palace of Westminster instead.

Who knows what others will bring? Best to just come along and see! ;)
    LegopantsomniumandheMaffyDHugeYellowBrick
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 1,181
    Brick to the Past display is always amazing. Such a vast layout and I always spend a long time walking round it to try and take in everything.

@Paperballpark station has been another favourite, but looking forward to Palace of Westminster this time.

Bright bricks often have a large display piece as well, last year was the Flying Scotsman with associated minibuild you could buy. Hopefully something similar happens again this year.

Again i'll buy tickets on the day, the queue is never that bad and it will save me a £2 a ticket in booking fees.
    Anyone else interested in arranging and \Lego trades, let me know what you've got and what you want, anyone got a MISB

6176782-1: Escape the Space Slug

they want to swap for something else ?
    message me 
  • alexwilalexwil UKMember Posts: 359
    Bricks to the past - that's the one!! Couldn't remember their name! 

Are they displaying this year does anyone know? 
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 306
    alexwil said:

Yep, they are!
    bandit778
    alexwil said:

Yes they are. It's an exceptional build for taking minifig-eye-level photos:

PeteMLegopantsomniumbandit778ricecakealexwil
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    As a heads-up, I might be able to visit, depending on if my LUG buddy is free'd by his "trouble and strife"...
    ^ :-)
  • mklegomklego Member Posts: 90
    Anybody know if any of the "ideas" creators will be attending this year? Wondering if it's worth taking along sets for signing.
    Legoloverman
    edited September 2017
    Pete Reid and Carl Greatrix of Exo-Suit and Caterham 7 fame should be there. Possibly Tom Poulsom of Birds fame too.
    mklegoLegoloverman
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited September 2017
    Is there an exo suit left that Pete hasn't signed? :-)
    ShibLegoloverman
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,048
    Not in the UK at least :-P
    Legoloverman
    I hear unsigned ones are rarer ;)
    Legoloverman
    Oooo! I have 4 rare unsigned ones. Shame I've opened them or I'd have the on eBay right away :-D
    Legoloverman
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 308
    alexwil said:
    It doesn't really work like that - people just bring what they bring, and most of the time there happens to be one or more really large builds. Brick to the Past normally have something exceptional and large.

For the past two years, I've taken my Manchester Brickadilly railway station. This year, I'll be bringing my model of the Palace of Westminster instead.

Who knows what others will bring? Best to just come along and see! ;)
    I'm bringing my little boy just to see this. He saw the photos on here and thought it was amazing. The mosaic sounds fun. The other half is staying at home with the 3 year old so hoping we can smuggle some purchases home as well
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,943
    Well, I was going to give it a miss this year...

But a nice lady off the internet has just arranged to go there with me for our first date together! She sounds like a keeper already! 
    Shucks, I thought it seemed too good to be true, and it was. Thwarted by her getting back together with her ex before we'd even met. :(  Maybe next year!
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 606
    paul_merton said: 
    Shucks, I thought it seemed too good to be true, and it was. Thwarted by her getting back together with her ex before we'd even met. :(  Maybe next year!
    Go anyway and buy some LEGO to cheer yourself up.  You never know, you might meet someone there!
    LostInTranslation
    ^ Unlikely, I would imagine :) I wish I'd never mentioned anything in the first place now. Oh, the embarrassment! :)
    Perhaps we need a lonely hearts category in the forum :)
    omniumHugeYellowBrick
    ^ Unlikely, I would imagine :)
    Correct - I've been hoping the same thing for years! :)
    Lonely Parts? Looking for someone to connect with?
    omniummessySwitchfoot55AdzbadboycheshirecatGothamConstructionCoMattDawsonstlux
    As my own ex once said, "A lady AFOL is a highly sought after commodity!"
    Salamalex

Does anyone know if Huw is planning to do any badges for Brickset members this year ?

I'm hoping to get to Leicester Sq on Friday night to pick up my quota of 3 Lester minifigs.

Then I'll be at Steam on Saturday afternoon.

If I manage to get some, I'd be interested in trading one at Steam for a #40176 Scariff Stormtrooper. PM me if you'll be there and are interested.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,613
    edited October 2017
    I won't be able to make it unfortunately, train tickets are too high for a day trip. I was planning on exhibiting however my Brickish application didn't get any attention so I wasn't able to apply to exhibit. In addition to that no new MOC's have been designed since BrickLive.