UCS falcon rumours (that turned out to be true!)

Comments

• Matt89190Matt89190 UKMember Posts: 281
    Got home from Portugal (Amazing place by the way) on Thursday night and found this waiting for me:

I had received the shipping email, so it wasn't much of a surprise or anything, but I'm still glad to see it turned up safely. It'll be another couple of weeks before I get round to building it as I'm going away again next week and I'm busy with workload, but I'm looking forward to it immensely!
    FowlerBricksBengh_ZeranMr_Crosssnowhitie
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,471
    Wallace said:
    TheFew said:
    I don't have a Falcon :-(
    Nor do I, I didn’t even want it when it was released 2 weeks ago. I couldn’t afford it. Then I saw it in the flesh last weekend at the Watford store and that was it,  I do want it. I sold some sets so I can now afford it. I can’t buy it though!!! :o(
    Same situation as me! I dithered too long!
  • Ppagan47Ppagan47 PAMember Posts: 12
    Arrived home 30 mins ago!!
  • Bengh_ZeranBengh_Zeran NetherlandsMember Posts: 38
    edited September 2017
    Matt89190 said:
    Got home from Portugal (Amazing place by the way) on Thursday night and found this waiting for me:

I had received the shipping email, so it wasn't much of a surprise or anything, but I'm still glad to see it turned up safely. It'll be another couple of weeks before I get round to building it as I'm going away again next week and I'm busy with workload, but I'm looking forward to it immensely!
    ? You can wait *a couple of weeks* before starting building it, but you cannot wait *just one more day* with putting it on a shelf!?

Matt89190 said:
    Not sure if this has been done already, but it gave me a laugh:

(Shelf's a little small, though!)
  • Matt89190Matt89190 UKMember Posts: 281
    ^Putting it on a shelf takes 2 minutes - building it will probably take 2 days....
  • Bengh_ZeranBengh_Zeran NetherlandsMember Posts: 38
    ^I was only joking... Congrats on receiving your Falcon, but make sure that shelf doesn't come off the wall while you are away on your next trip in the meantime! ;-)
    Matt89190
  • JohnnyfinlandiaJohnnyfinlandia Member Posts: 358
    Ok so I managed to be 'passing' the Lego House today and 'accidentally' bought a Falcon. They had a few signed ones left. Does anyone know who these designers/creators are, as they seem different to the ones in the UK release.
    omniumAdzbadboyoldtodd33FowlerBricksYodaliciousBengh_ZeranJBricks27snowhitielarge88
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 395
    My package just departed the FedEx location.  It only weighs .2 pounds and is in an envelope.  I did get charged $850 though.
  • cpsdkcpsdk denmarkMember Posts: 12
    edited September 2017
    Just Got back from Lego House with my very own Falcon, not signed but in the box with wheels. No Star wars free bees but I got the LEGO Store 40145, because the store just opened :) And the Black VIP card should arrive in november.
    JohnnyfinlandiaPpagan47Bengh_Zeran
  • astarguyastarguy Member Posts: 39
    stickers= going to be around so get over it. yes printed would be better but as long as we buy set with stickers there will always be stickers. 
    second this is what is shown on my version of the lego web site as of this post:          On Thursday, September 14, the LEGO Group gave its VIP members an opportunity to purchase the LEGO® Star Wars™ Millennium Falcon™. We are thrilled by the positive response to the set, which is the largest we’ve ever released so far. We can assure all our fans around the world, that we are doing everything we can to make more sets available and keep our LEGO builders happy. This set is currently sold out and will remain exclusive to VIP's at least through November as we work to meet consumer demand. still trying to order my set.
  • Wicket_WWicket_W Forest moon of EndorMember Posts: 17
    My falcon just arrived. The funny thing is that a few of my family's online orders from various places arrived today as well. Wish I had caught a photo of the FedEx guy carrying 3 boxes. Anyways, I guess its a pretty good set to be my first UCS.
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 518
    Aw shucks, I can't pull a r/Lego and post some asinine box picture with a smarmy caption (usually making allusions to its size, the moon landings, or other sets) because my UCS Millennium Falcon is at home whilst I'm still out here in the boonies for work. But on a pleasanter note, I am glad it showed up so quickly (relatively speaking), and how nice customer service was yesterday when I called inquiring about the tracking number. Now I just hope the cat doesn't pee on the box in the next two weeks.
    SumoLegoLegogramMegtheCatOnebricktoomany
  • JaimitoJaimito NYCMember Posts: 20
    Got ship notice on Thursday, and it arrived Sat. Nice job Lego. The thing is massive as expected. Not sure where or when to build it.  Still got the X wing and Tie fighter to build.
    FowlerBricks
  • C0chiseC0chise TennesseeMember Posts: 47
    Just starting my build. Wow Stage 1 is no joke. Right off the bat punches you in mouth with the huge infrastructure build. Took me 3 hrs to do. I am keeping track of spare parts as well. Extra parts are not per bag but per stage. Here mine for Stage 1 in line with the others before me. 

I had the same.  I thought I messed up having 2 black pins remaining.  Usually its only 1 but glad to see you had 2 as well.
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 483
    C0chise said:
    Just starting my build. Wow Stage 1 is no joke. Right off the bat punches you in mouth with the huge infrastructure build. Took me 3 hrs to do. I am keeping track of spare parts as well. Extra parts are not per bag but per stage. Here mine for Stage 1 in line with the others before me. 

I had the same.  I thought I messed up having 2 black pins remaining.  Usually its only 1 but glad to see you had 2 as well.
    Unless you BOTH messed up at the same step!!! 
    Gjedwards
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,624
    ^^Haha, I messed up and so did another person on Facebook. I’m sure we’re fine ;)
    C0chise said:

Wished the manual tells you which are the spare parts. When i was putting together the Saturn Rocket, I had to check multiple times to be sure the leftovers were indeed spare parts. Somewhat annoying and takes a bit of time.  
    datsunrobbie
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 720
    Jaimito said:
    C0chise said:

Wished the manual tells you which are the spare parts. When i was putting together the Saturn Rocket, I had to check multiple times to be sure the leftovers were indeed spare parts. Somewhat annoying and takes a bit of time.  
    I think the main reason it doesn't is because spare parts are variable by nature. Since they're there to account for parts that might slip through the weight check, no set is necessarily guaranteed to include all of the possible spares. And the last thing Lego would want is to have to fill replacement parts orders for spares that were missing when that's why they included spares in the first place!
    gmonkey76
  • myscrnnmmyscrnnm Seattle, WAMember Posts: 25
    Lyichir said:
    Jaimito said:
    C0chise said:

I think the main reason it doesn't is because spare parts are variable by nature. Since they're there to account for parts that might slip through the weight check, no set is necessarily guaranteed to include all of the possible spares. And the last thing Lego would want is to have to fill replacement parts orders for spares that were missing when that's why they included spares in the first place!
    The spare parts in LEGO sets are not variable. The reason they are not part of the piece count is because they are not officially part of the set, but a courtesy that LEGO provides. If you look at Bricklink inventories, they have the exact quantities for extra parts that should be included in every LEGO set. Take for instance 10255 Assembly Square, which has a lot of spare parts. Bricklink has a section in the inventory for this set. There should be no reason to check to make sure leftovers are spare parts. Looking at the ones in this picture, those are all pieces that LEGO uses as spares. There are probably two Technic pins because one came in a small unnumbered bag that was all, or almost all, Technic pins.
    Bumblepants
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    How are we still debating spare parts? 
    gmonkey76SirBrickalotOfLegoJBricks27
  • Casper_vd_KorfCasper_vd_Korf Twente, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 51
    because we have spare time!
    BrickByBrickPpagan47YodaliciousbaublitzLittleLoricatwrangler
  • Dfchang813Dfchang813 United StatesMember Posts: 60
    Just finished Stage 3 which was quite challenging. You start on some of the interior and there are a TON of mini builds with tiny pieces. When finished it doesn't look like the Falcon advanced all that much even though I spent almost as much time on it as the infrastructure. Most of the time looking for and then building the tiny 1x1's.  Stage 4 doesn't look much different. Another interior heavy stage. 

By way way this is the first stage where stickers are required.  After some thought I've decided not to use any stickers. I'm banking on the fact that somewhere down line that German Lego site will custom print the pieces and I'll buy it then.  

Here is a quick pic of the spares from Stage 3. Ton of them but not 1 duplicate. I kept the three bow caster studs with Chewbacca because according to the instructions I think they are part of the set. There is still an extra bowcaster stud in the spares.  

• clickabrickclickabrick SuffolkMember Posts: 16
    Whoa. DF, I’ll give you credit for finding pieces and building the set on that carpet!
    snowhitie
  • SwamppySwamppy Hadleigh Ipswich Member Posts: 6
    I'd say that was marble worktop ?
    baublitzwardm
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,505
    Lyichir said:
    MaffyD said:
    ^^ Interesting that you've mentioned Saturn V, in light of the sticker debate. The Ideas set does not have stickers. I have yet to understand or have it explained to me why a big Ideas sets like this has no stickers but plenty of printed pieces, but monumental sets like the Falcon do have stickers (and some printed parts, which makes it even more odd). I'm not so fussed as I can place a sticker like a pro, but there is no argument that makes sense of stickers as long as Ideas keeps on showing off it's printed pieces...
    Part of it is that the Saturn V doesn't really have that many more prints than your typical set. The Saturn V only has 10 unique printed elements, many of which are used multiple times per set—many sets include that many unique prints in the minifigures alone! The UCS Falcon has 7 unique printed elements not counting the figures, and six more in the figures themselves—hardly a shabby number of prints, all things considered. If the stickered parts had all been printed instead (some of which would require the added expense of new tooling to print parts or surfaces of parts that had not been printed before), that'd total at least 12 additional printed elements (almost doubling the number of printed parts), many of which would never again see use in other sets. Budget-wise, that'd probably require cutting 12 other new elements (recolors, etc.) from the set (many of which would be a better use of money since they would more likely see use future sets), and probably then some to cover the new tooling.

@Lyichir - thanks for explaining. I mentioned just the Saturn set as an example, but to really compare you have to add up multiple sets. The Falcon has 7.5k pieces. Now add up all the printed pieces from some of the most recent releases (21302: The Big Bang Theory, 21301: Birds, 21307: Caterham Seven 620R, 21306: The Beatles Yellow Submarine, 21305: Maze, 21310: Old Fishing Store, 21309: NASA Apollo Saturn V, 21308: Adventure Time) which add up to about 7.6k pieces.

If these Ideas sets still has significantly less printed pieces in total than the Falcon I'll agree with you completely. But I bet they have more (despite some probably having none). They also cost less - £585 just in case people are wondering. And finally you have economy of scale - the Falcon's printed parts are all contained within 1 set, not spread around multiple inventories with different expectations of sales.

Basically, I still don't understand. And I'm not trying to troll anyone, or be argumentative for the sake of it - I promise!

Still with the sticker debate? *yawn*

I don't mean to bore anyone. I do find it to be a bit hard to understand though. If the answer is "We don't know, and Lego won't tell. Get over it." then I'll accept that. But I've not really seen an adequate response to the Ideas disparity. And some people have chimed in with more knowledge than I, so I thought I'd ask. Hope that explains why I've continued.
  • rawbobrawbob UKMember Posts: 514

Ideas sets tend to have appeal outside of typical Lego fans. Examples such as Beetles fans buying a Yellow Submarine set or Ghostbusters fans buying the Ecto-1. Within those fans there will also be collectors who will buy high quality items only.

By providing the highest quality box and manual with printed pieces and no fidgety stickers, it helps establish a high quality and gets Lego to a wider audience.

• stetstet Member Posts: 44

^ The same can and should be said about Star Wars fans.

baublitzgmonkey76Bengh_Zerandougts
    ^^ Especially those who can afford a £650 set.
    gmonkey76dougts
    Swamppy said:
    I'd say that was marble worktop ?
    Granite countertop. Lol. Yeah it gets hard sometimes.  
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    I called and confirmed a signature was required at delivery, was told that yes it was required. It arrived today, no signature.... annoyed but at least I was home when it got there
    Finally opened my set. The instructions manual is too heavy, and there was minor packaging damage to the cardboard tray. The sticker set was bent as a result.  Do you guys think Lego will give me a new sticker? How good is their customer service in USA? 

I really appreciated @Adzbadboy 's photo of all the leftover extra pieces, so here's my (less organized) version, just to back up what he had. Looks like we ended up with the same amount (whew!). The 2 leftover technic pins at the beginning had me second-guessing myself the whole time....

Thank you so much for doing this.  I am asking for too much, but is there a bag by bag version of this? 
  • ceniackceniack Oklahoma CityMember Posts: 25
    Jaimito said:
    Finally opened my set. The instructions manual is too heavy, and there was minor packaging damage to the cardboard tray. The sticker set was bent as a result.  Do you guys think Lego will give me a new sticker? How good is their customer service in USA? 

My experience has been really good. I lost a stickered piece to my UCS X-Wing. I was just wanting to see if I could buy the piece and sticker sheet with that part (it was a large Grey slope on the wings with he big white and gray sticker).

The set was already retired but I got on a chat with them and they just sent the piece and sticker sheet for free. 
    gmonkey76Jaimito
  • M_BossM_Boss Houston, TexasMember Posts: 235
    Jaimito said:

CS is the best! They always fix broken pieces, send replacement stickers etc.
    gmonkey76Jaimito
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 674
    Cloud City update: Platform 327 begins to take shape (in the digital world)

Klintan
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 395
    What is this?  Is cloud city being remade?  The last one looks like crap.  (no offense to anyone that likes it, just my opinion)
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,289
    No he's just making something.

But IMO you can not make Cloud City into a good looking playset. You'd need to split them up
  • CrzypenguCrzypengu United StatesMember Posts: 77
    Cloud City update: Platform 327 begins to take shape (in the digital world)

Is it just going to be flat or will it be held up by pillars?
    Jaimito said:
    I really appreciated @Adzbadboy 's photo of all the leftover extra pieces, so here's my (less organized) version, just to back up what he had. Looks like we ended up with the same amount (whew!). The 2 leftover technic pins at the beginning had me second-guessing myself the whole time....

Thank you so much for doing this.  I am asking for too much, but is there a bag by bag version of this? 

Stage 2:

omniumJaimito
    I posted Stage 3 extras while talking bout it. Here is Stage 4. 

omniumJaimito