Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

What's your LEGO 'status' today?

Comments

• eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 409
    Wow, very nice!

I am Bricklinking my first MOC (have BL'd some MODs earlier); have about 500 parts coming in from Sweden now, only need to find some of these https://brickset.com/parts/design-30499 in NL so the postage won't be as crazy w.r.t. the value of the bricks, and then my MOC addition to the Winter Village will be complete:

(yes, it needs snow, but i've got "snowy" pieces aplenty, so no need to BL those).
    LegopantsFowlerBricksLegogramLittleLoricatwrangler
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,260
    Good dilemma to have. Following my daughters train bridge building birthday party, she has decided she wants to ditch her much loved and still played with Duplo trainset and get a proper one that moves on its own! Mrs Speedman is in full agreement and suggested it would make a nice Christmas present for her.

I've now been tasked with getting it sorted! It'll be a simple setup that we lay out on the lounge floor and pack away after use, so no vast permanent layouts. Smyths currently have their sale where I can get the high speed train and a track pack for £80. Will this be enough to make a nice circuit or am I better off going for the cargo or heavy haul that are £120/145 each , but with more track?
  • mmozzanommozzano UKMember Posts: 413
    Went up in the loft earlier and realised how many boxed sets I have up there, a number of which I don't really have much interest in.  Going to spend a few days putting a list together and perhaps see if I can move some on to make a bit of space.
    Renny
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 984
    SNIP
    It'll be a simple setup that we lay out on the lounge floor and pack away after use, so no vast permanent layouts. 
    SNIP
    And THIS, Ladies and Gentleman, is how it begins...

As to your question - based on little miss Speedmans age,  bite the bullet with the extra outlay for the blue Cargo train. My three primary reasons;
    1. It has left and right switches included - a standard oval gets very boring, very quick.
    2. It has an overhead crane and forklift which adds a whole additional dimension of play value.
    3. It has a cow!  Never underestimate the value of a cow and an overhead crane!
     Welcome to the (VERY) dark side...
    snowhitieYodaliciouscatwranglerFizyx
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,505

@speedman29 - I don't buy Lego trains, so I might not be the best person to comment (but I will anyway):

My guys played with Thomas the Tank Engine sets when they were younger and the one thing they always ALWAYS wanted was more track.

That is all.

Speedman29Yodaliciouscatwrangler
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,523
    Pretty excited to have found a box of Series 16 figs out at my local Target store. They weren't discounted, but I was able to pick up the Ice Queen, Penguin Suit Guy, and Wildlife Photographer for my Winter Village. 

Now...to BL some more penguins
    ricecakeKlintan
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,449
    ^Picked up #30322 Duplo penguin at Toys R Us recently for $2.49
    Switchfoot55
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 133
    Good dilemma to have. Following my daughters train bridge building birthday party, she has decided she wants to ditch her much loved and still played with Duplo trainset and get a proper one that moves on its own! Mrs Speedman is in full agreement and suggested it would make a nice Christmas present for her.

I've now been tasked with getting it sorted! It'll be a simple setup that we lay out on the lounge floor and pack away after use, so no vast permanent layouts. Smyths currently have their sale where I can get the high speed train and a track pack for £80. Will this be enough to make a nice circuit or am I better off going for the cargo or heavy haul that are £120/145 each , but with more track?
    I thought I was the only girl that liked trains when I was younger. I still have my fav locomotives and have a few Hornby models for display in the future. Still in their boxes in the cupboard sadly.
    I have seen Hornby Junior for 40 pounds and an alternative to Lego.
    https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/all-sets/hornby-junior.html

But Dad wants the Lego doesn't he? :P

dmcc0catwrangler
    readersam said:
    ...Now I have more room and more money so it is time...
    Although, after your purchase, you're back to less room and less money, right? 

Not the worst conundrum you could find yourself in at least!
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,260
    Thanks for the advice guys.

@MAGNINOMINISUMBRA the cargo train is an extra £50 on top, we have loads of other sets to put with it to add to the layout. I'm currently bidding on some extra track packs on eBay and Grandparents will probably help out with some too. Hadn't thought about the cow situation though! I reckon the High Speed train will look fine with a cattle truck in the middle, it'll be just like riding on South West trains!

@MaffyD duly noted, as I mentioned above I will be getting plenty of track for some cool layouts.

@Charmiefcb she loved trains, its probably my fault and in turn my dads fault as he is a great steam train fan, I like the engineer side of things rather than the nostalgia for the olden days. Hornby trains really need a permanent setup and at least with LEGO trains we have plenty of sets and bricks to add to it already. 
    MaffyDcatwrangler
    edited September 2017
    Hmmm... I tend to always check out the Catawiki-auctions, and sometimes bid when prices are still low, to always end up being over-bid.

This afternoon, I saw #10235 WV Market at €120, and thought "well, that'll go for over €150 as usual, so who am I to not help and drive up the price"; bidding €130. (Sorry if that causes some negative sentiment... ;))

Long story short: I now have bought WV Market for €155 (130 + incl 9% auction costs and €13 P&P). Not even that bad of a deal, and am actually quite happy. My WV grows and grows...

Also: expanded the WV Station exactly as ISO described in his review; by adding some dark tan plates in the end (the one representing the "station" that came with the WV Train was quite useful). Now the two "passenger cars" of my XL-train actually fit the platform:

Actually, typing this I realise I might expand it more, as I have another "station" laying around from my second copy of the train. :)

snowhitiesid3windrcatwrangler
    @eMJeeNL, what review are you speaking of? I enjoy the look of the new Train Station but plan on expanding it as well right out of the gate. I'd be interested in reading the review along with seeing your photo!

Nice snag on the WV Market too!
    eMJeeNL
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,934
    @Switchfoot55
    @iso3200 has done a nice review of the new station on the main Brickset page.
    https://brickset.com/article/30854/review-10259-winter-village-station

edited September 2017
    @eMJeeNL, what review are you speaking of? I enjoy the look of the new Train Station but plan on expanding it as well right out of the gate. I'd be interested in reading the review along with seeing your photo!

Nice snag on the WV Market too!
    Mine is quite limited for now, just the 4x8 from the Train set and a 6x8 I had in my collection; they are located to the left of the picture (the non-covered part of the platform), with an extra ramp created with other pieces I had in my collection. Next to the aforementioned second 4x8 plate, I have some more 6x8s lying around, but for now this will do. And indeed, the review Bandit778 ^ links to is the one i mean.
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,371
    ^ Tharr be dragons!
    Kerre
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    Kerre said:
    Packing for an early flight home tomorrow morning. Who'd have thought you can find LEGO bargains in Norway?

I hope your airline doesn't charge for luggage by weight with all those bricks in there.

I'll see myself out.
    M_BossKerrecatwranglerCasper_vd_KorfLEGO_Dad77OrmskirkBricks
  • OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 273
    Wishing I'd nabbed the Y-Wing from Costco the other day for 60$ CND... Not exactly in the budget, but deals from Costco have driven my collecting need a bit too high alas.
  • Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen Somewhere behind all the boxes of LegoMember Posts: 308
    Almost did my back in moving Lego in and out of loft in vague effort to pack it better and give it some sort of organisation. It now takes up a little less room and I know broadly what is in each box.

Also discovered that the flaps on the [email protected] boxes have 2 fold options so can get more in a single box. 

Still can can barely get in loft though......
    Local dept store had a 25% off lego sale today. Pulled the trigger on a First Order Star Destroyer.
    starwars4ever
  • Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen Somewhere behind all the boxes of LegoMember Posts: 308
    Slightly alarmed to see that in under a year my collection ranking has gone from being around 17000-19000 last November to 9862. Parts ranking is about the same position too, but don't remember what that started as. 
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,755
    edited September 2017
    Unbelievable - every time I think I've found all the Lego at my mum's house, something else turns up! This time: a suitcase full of Znap. (Yes, I am the single human being on this earth who bought Znap. I'd like to meet the lonely soul who bought Galidor some day.) I'm not so enamoured of it as I was in 2000, but I'm thinking that since it has shared elements/connections with Technic, it might be useful to add structure/stabilisation to larger Technic structures. That, or it could be great for making the skeletons of buildings when I get round to trying a City building site...

ETA: Why yes, I am rationalising the truth that probably nobody will ever want to trade it for anything good... ;)
    Legogrambookmumvizzitorbandit778Kerresnowhitietallblocktoo
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 227
    edited September 2017
    Today I'm reliving my Christmas Day 1993. Have a new SNES (the mini classic one released today) and now I'm making Lego stuff, the 71006 Simpsons House, but it has about 5 times the total number of Lego parts I ever had as a child.
    vizzitor said:
    Today I'm reliving my Christmas Day 1993. Have a new SNES (the mini classic one released today) and now I'm making Lego stuff, the 71006 Simpsons House, but it has about 5 times the total number of Lego parts I ever had as a child.
    Did you buy it recently? I thought they discontinued Simpsons stuff.
    I liked building the house honestly. Nice simple set and something I wanted as a child having day dreaming discussions with my brothers and friends. Wouldn't it be cool if they made Simpsons Lego?

PS. The SNES classic comes out here tomorrow. Why Nintendo moved their usual release dates from Thursdays to Saturdays here I don't know.
    So now becuase it's coming interstate I won't get it until Tuesday as we have a public holiday on Monday. Ah well what's 3 days in the whole scheme of things.
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 766
    Today I built #7778 mid scale MF as part of clearing the decks before building the biggie.

Of course I didn't put the stickers on. I like to see what they look like without, then add them if it looks daft. The cockpit is a bit lacking without the stickers. But the round ones for the mandibles are printed off-centre, so they won't be applied. No way.
    FowlerBricksSwitchfoot55catwranglerbandit778Yo_dAsnowhitiestluxFizyx
  • Game_onGame_on USAMember Posts: 90
    My status today ....?

Trying not to hunt for a deal on a Republic gun ship while at work.
    Desperately loosing focus and hunting for a deal on a republic gun ship set ...
    Bumblepants
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 227
    Did you buy it recently? I thought they discontinued Simpsons stuff.
    I liked building the house honestly. Nice simple set and something I wanted as a child having day dreaming discussions with my brothers and friends. Wouldn't it be cool if they made Simpsons Lego?

I'm actually rebuilding it after having to take everything apart for an apartment move a few months ago. It takles much longer to remake everything again than it did to take it apart but it's far more enjoyable!
  • OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 273
    Trying to determine how to scrounge up enough cash to hit TRU enough times this month to get all the cool Bricktober swag I'm interested in, and the special VIP set which requires a purchase of 125$ total. *SIGH* Being an unemployed collector on a budget is a terrible thing when October rolls around.
    FowlerBricksLegogramLEGO_Dad77BrickByBrick
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,472
    This has been an expensive Lego week. My wallet is close to empty. :(
    Although I do have a big pile of lego to build during my week off, while I wait for Blade Runner 2049 to open at the cinema. :)
    LEGO_Dad77FowlerBrickscatwrangler
  • Game_onGame_on USAMember Posts: 90
    A picture of our wedding cake from September 9th, 2017:

Just ran into someone at Brickworld who used the same topper on their cake.

Very nice. 
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,281
    well, the old one is garmadon's helmet too.
    SumoLegogmonkey76Kerre
  • Matt89190Matt89190 UKMember Posts: 281
    In a dilemma:
    After purchasing a certain £650 set, I have £30 of VIP points to redeem. (I had more, but redeemed them against the Falcon). I'm looking to get a small set (or multiple small sets) with the points, but I can't make my mind up.
    Anyone have any recommendations?
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,609
    Matt89190 said:
    In a dilemma:
    After purchasing a certain £650 set, I have £30 of VIP points to redeem. (I had more, but redeemed them against the Falcon). I'm looking to get a small set (or multiple small sets) with the points, but I can't make my mind up.
    Anyone have any recommendations?
    Master Falls!
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,609
    Got my first Ninjago Movie CMF! The blueprint is a neat piece. I'll be doing a review of him sometime in the near future.

LEGO_Dad77MegtheCat
  • blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 598
    Game_on said:
    My status today ....?

Trying not to hunt for a deal on a Republic gun ship while at work.
    Desperately loosing focus and hunting for a deal on a republic gun ship set ...
    You think that might be redone any time soon?
  • blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 598
    @SithLord196 That's a great looking cake...it always amazes me how much air is on the inside and the CAKE cake that people eat is kind of stashed somewhere.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,855
    edited September 2017
    Fauch said:
    I took it as a subtle jab on my son's part that I will be totally bald under the helmet soon enough.  I took similar jabs at my very bald father.  Karma, apparently, was not my friend.  (As I feverishly comb my remaining hair forward.)
    SirBrickalotOfLegocatwranglersnowhitiestlux
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 722
    SumoLego said: see
    Fauch said:
    I took it as a subtle jab on my son's part that I will be totally bald under the helmet soon enough.  I took similar jabs at my very bald father.  Karma, apparently, was not my friend.  (As I feverishly comb my remaining hair forward.)
    Just remind him that he'll likely be the same in future too!
    gmonkey76LegogramKerresnowhitieSumoLegostlux
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    SumoLego said:
    Fauch said:
    I, sadly, followed the same path as my grandfathers toward baldness. My dad, on the other hand, still has a glorious head of hair. 

On a positive note, it makes finding parts for my own minifigs much easier. No hair piece required. 
    snowhitieLegogramgmonkey76SumoLegodspigelbandit778Hanzostlux
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,855
    ^ I find ridiculous helmets do the job.  I wish my boy a continued healthy head of hair.
    LEGO_Dad77gmonkey76