Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Leicester Square Millennium Falcon Midnight Release 13th September 2017

12346»

Comments

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,691
    ^Shit!  Sorry!  How embarassing.

@Huw?  You told me that was @LeonC!  HUW???  HUW????
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,357
    Yes, wrong Leon. That's Leon K, not sure if he's on the forum.
    Legoboystlux
  • CodeCutterUKCodeCutterUK UKMember Posts: 1
    Thanks all for a great time, a fantastic time was had as 61 in the queue, ending up with number 28 as a VIP card. @doe thanks for coffee again, and thanks for keeping Matt and I company! I look forward to see how you decide to display your model :)
    snowhitiedoestlux
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,440
    With only 1 feedback is anyone going to be trusting enough to actually buy this???
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGO-STAR-WARS-MILLENNIUM-FALCON-SIGNED-BY-DESIGNERS-75192-ULTIMATE-SERIES-/182763712191?hash=item2a8d90eebf:g:5IIAAOSwNJ9ZudKl
    £180 profit for what must have been 20 hours work, to travel, queue and return home.
    I think they probably wasted their time.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,357
    Could be one of the families that I'm told were buying  multiples.
    omnium
  • mattytreksmattytreks San Diego, CAMember Posts: 78
    Huw said:
    To clarify "multiples", the limit was one per person at Leicester Square, but families with multiple people were there to scoop up multiple falcons?
    Huw said:
    To clarify "multiples", the limit was one per person at Leicester Square, but families with multiple people were there to scoop up multiple falcons?
    Yes, with sons/girlfriends/nephews joining their family member in the queue very late on.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,353
    I think it was one per VIP card per person, As opposed to one per household as such.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,893
    That sucks for those late to the party and unable to get one.

I would have thought it would have been one per VIP account at an early release event like this and if it was, it seems like a lot of effort (and against the T & C of the VIP membership) to have so many separate accounts in one family to be able to do this.

Just glad that the Brickset members that wanted one got theirs and hope you have hours of fun building it.
    omnium
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,353
    ^ same thing I think, might be wrong but Lego's system allows multiple cards to be attached to a single address and each be a unique account. Which makes sense when you have flat sharing and so forth.
    Mr_Hobbles
    Legoboy said:

Yes, with sons/girlfriends/nephews joining their family member in the queue very late on.
    I attend San Diego Comic-Con each year and "lineholding" is one thing, whereby the entire group shows up initially, then each person takes turns holding the place of the collective group while the others take a break...however, having entirely new people (be it family members or friends) suddenly hop in line with someone, would not be tolerated.  I feel bad for the people behind them that might have missed out.
    omniumdoe
  • sonatine01sonatine01 EnglandMember Posts: 414
    Although it Iit wasn't Leicester Square the Milton Keynes store were well organised I thought. Numbers were given out to those who queued so they could go off and come back later and the stafff were really good and seemed as genuinely excited as us in the queue ! 

We all got a goody bag with some polybags in which was a nice bonus :-)

I did ask if anyone was a bricksetter but just got met with very blank looks and felt a bit stupid. Plenty of genuine Lego fans there though and I know @Angry_Warlock  was there but couldn't find him.

Thanks for everyone posting on Brickset it kept me entertained,informed and updated all morning while I panicked about missing out on a falcon :-)
    bandit778SeanTheCollectoromniumstluxdoeAdzbadboy
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 722
    Legoboy said:

I attend San Diego Comic-Con each year and "lineholding" is one thing, whereby the entire group shows up initially, then each person takes turns holding the place of the collective group while the others take a break...however, having entirely new people (be it family members or friends) suddenly hop in line with someone, would not be tolerated.  I feel bad for the people behind them that might have missed out.
    I only heard about it afterwards, on the way home. I'd heard one family at the front of the queue got 3 tickets after only one of them had queued and the other two jumped in later on. I don't know the details at all because I only heard it 2nd or 3rd hand.

But yes, such behaviour is outrageous! England is the home of queuing so I'm not sure how those at the front allowed it to happen :-P

From what I can tell though, I was number 87 when I joined the line and I was still number 87 by the time the numbered tickets were handed out, so something strange happened if people did push in.
  • doedoe BathMember Posts: 5
    omnium said:

From what I can tell though, I was number 87 when I joined the line and I was still number 87 by the time the numbered tickets were handed out, so something strange happened if people did push in.
    Same here: I joined the queue at about 3:45pm and when the jolly LEGO store employee did his count I was number 59. When they handed out the numbered tickets approx. two hours later, I was still number 59. After the hand out of the tickets it was impossible to jump the line which was a great relief and a good motivation to stay.
    omnium
  • KlintanKlintan SwedenMember Posts: 52
    omnium said:

But yes, such behaviour is outrageous! England is the home of queuing so I'm not sure how those at the front allowed it to happen :-P
    I thought Sweden was the home of queuing. If someone breaks the rules you turn hand into a fist in your pocket and silently curse. :-)
    omniumSalamalexricecake
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 245
    omnium said:

Yep, agreed, though I actually went down. When I joined the guy counted me at 94, but when I got the ticket I was 93. So as far as I can tell no-one queue jumped; if anything, someone left.
    omnium
  • caterham7caterham7 UkMember Posts: 380
    edited September 2017
    I started off 47th in line when I got there, then dropped to 56 a bit later which I thought a bit strange and it didn't change after that.  20% of the queue visiting the toilet in one go???  Actually ended up with the 58 card as three of us were changing places while we looked after our place in the queue, and I got handed mine last.  And got VIP card 41, so about where I joined the queue originally.

Just checked earlier posts, Legoboy dropped from 13th to 21st.

Reckon the 1 person leaving was one of a group of 4 in front of me.
    omnium said:

Yep, agreed, though I actually went down. When I joined the guy counted me at 94, but when I got the ticket I was 93. So as far as I can tell no-one queue jumped; if anything, someone left.

My place position started at 13 and I ended up being handed number 17 ticket.  Only five minutes before the tickets were handed out did a further two enter the queue to join their dad and boyfriend.  I must have stated half a dozen times that I really hope it didn't affect your late number and ability to fall under '100' (whilst not wanting to fall out with my neighbours), but later learnt that a few dropped out around the 60 mark a short while earlier.
  • LeonCLeonC United KingdomMember Posts: 364
    Legoboy said:
    ^Shit!  Sorry!  How embarassing.

@Huw?  You told me that was @LeonC!  HUW???  HUW????
    No worries, although you did get me all excited for a minute there!
    Legoboybandit778
    omnium said:

Oh wow, you must have been right behind me in the queue! We were the ones playing "Dogoff" and getting merry on cans of G&T. Very unseemly behaviour for queue for a toy shop :-O
    KlintanOldmanChudley
  • doedoe BathMember Posts: 5
    Thanks all for a great time, a fantastic time was had as 61 in the queue, ending up with number 28 as a VIP card. @doe thanks for coffee again, and thanks for keeping Matt and I company! I look forward to see how you decide to display your model :)
    It was a pleasure meeting you. I'll have to wait with my build until after Christmas, when I have some time. I hope the Falcon will be strong enough to sit between my two X-wings. First one is already up:

I'll post an update on the Brickset forum in a time not too far, far away...
    LegogramstluxTheOriginalSimonBKlintanomniumAdzbadboyMegtheCat
  • manofreason23manofreason23 LondonMember Posts: 2
    Shattered! I think people started to get a little frustrated by 3am! But I am a very happy chap!

My set #131/150 signed and boxed up on its wheels...just have to wait now at the office until the trains start up to take me home!

@OrmskirkBricks ....it is I...No #134/150.
    Was great to meet you on the night, along with other fantastic people in the queue. Without you guys...the long wait would have driven me crazy.
    And thanks for recommending me this forum. I've been on it practically all afternoon.
    Like yourself, my set will unfortunately have to go into the loft until I move home. BUT the box doesn't fit through the hatch without removing the wheels and handle!!!! Lol
    omniumsnowhitieMegtheCatOrmskirkBricksAddicted2Oxygen
    edited September 2017
    I've uploaded my photos from the event to my flickr account:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/c6h67n

There's a shot of @OldmanChudley @Adzbadboy @Legoboy and @DarthMorl in the mix. They aren't public and are only available to see for anyone with the link, but let me know if you'd rather I didn't have your photo on.
    AdzbadboysnowhitieMr_CrossstluxLegogramOldmanChudley
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,613
    Damn, so this is a thing...

• datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,422
    ^If somebody offers a thing for sale, somebody will offer to buy it.

If I had won the powerball drawing, I'd put out an offer to buy each and every one of the 100 cards. Utterly ridiculous to do, but that's the kind of thing people with basically unlimited funds can do. Meanwhile, there are probably people who chose to buy the Falcon that will be eating nothing but ramen noodles for a month or two if they can't sell the card...
    Adzbadboy said:

I'm honestly not surprised.  Someone out there thought they could recoup the money spent on their Falcon by selling the signed Black VIP Card.

However, I am surprised bidding is already at £510 on the thing.
    omnium
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,779
    @omnium, liked your pictures, thanks for adding them as well. Wasreally good overview of the event. I had also never seen your full picture with all the astronauts and Benny, that's a great picture!
    omniumMr_Cross
    As an attendee, fan of both LEGO and Star Wars I'll tell you right now for me the set and the promos are priceless, no way I'd sell my signed copy even at four digits.
    omniumKlintanOldmanChudley
  • manofreason23manofreason23 LondonMember Posts: 2
    Adzbadboy said: 

Somebody must be fake bidding. The falcon is averaging £900. If there are real bidders, they'll be in for a shock when they realise the card would already be registered to the original buyer.
    snowhitie said:
    @omnium, liked your pictures, thanks for adding them as well. Wasreally good overview of the event. I had also never seen your full picture with all the astronauts and Benny, that's a great picture!
    Aw, thanks! You're too kind! I still remember taking that shot like it was yesterday. And the feeling when I realised I'd captured exactly what I wanted was well worth the cost of the BrickLink orders :D
    snowhitieLegogram
    Adzbadboy said: 

Somebody must be fake bidding. The falcon is averaging £900. If there are real bidders, they'll be in for a shock when they realise the card would already be registered to the original buyer.
    These first 100 cards aren't registered by default. We'll get a 2nd black VIP card, with a "normal" VIP number, in the post that is pre-registered and has our name printed in it.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,893
    edited September 2017
    Adzbadboy said: 

I may be wrong but I think that the first 100 cards were specially numbered cards not general VIP cards.

Edit: Note to self, must refresh screen before posting.
    omnium said:
    I've uploaded my photos from the event to my flickr account:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/c6h67n

There's a shot of @OldmanChudley @Adzbadboy @Legoboy and @DarthMorl in the mix. They aren't public and are only available to see for anyone with the link, but let me know if you'd rather I didn't have your photo on.
    Ahh I recognise you from those pictures, you *were* just a handful of people in front. I don't believe we got a chance to say hello, so, hello! :)
    edited September 2017
    My comment got deleted by the dopey forum software :(
  • Cosworth3dCosworth3d Member Posts: 42
    Awesome stuff 
    omnium
    It disheartens me to see so many signed specimens pop up on eBay. Another one popped up just no, queue #6. That's 9 in total I've seen.

Bidding is up to ~£1,800 on a few of them now. I wonder if a few owners are seeing this and succumbing to the dark side. After all, you could sell and almost get three more Falcons for that.
    omnium
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,370
    ^ Not right now you can't :)
    omnium
    edited September 2017
    It disheartens me to see so many signed specimens pop up on eBay. Another one popped up just no, queue #6. That's 9 in total I've seen.

Bidding is up to ~£1,800 on a few of them now. I wonder if a few owners are seeing this and succumbing to the dark side. After all, you could sell and almost get three more Falcons for that.
    Lol, somewhere up near #6 was a given from the start.  I said to my neighbours at the time that his was going to end up online.

But I agree, with the prices we're seeing them achieve, I can completely understand the temptation if someone's simply changed their mind.  You could still have a Falcon and it'll put an extra grandin your pocket - for nothing.  Complete madness.
    omnium
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 829
    Thanks to all of those who covered the event here - it looks like you had a fun (albeit a little wet in the queue) time - nice to see people queuing until midnight for something other than an iPhone for a change!

If I could sell a bit of black plastic for over half a grand you bet I would be doing so!

Finally saw the MF in the Watford store yesterday - it's really rather impressive although simply too big for my own collection - I do look forward to people doing some ridiculous to-scale MOCS with it in various hangers and scenarios!  Is the structure safe enough to have it hanging up?
    snowhitie
    More images have been added to the gallery of the stuff I managed to acquire (https://flic.kr/s/aHsm7SDMvd)
    Legogram
  • OrmskirkBricksOrmskirkBricks England, UKMember Posts: 265
    edited September 2017
    Great write up and pics!

I was 131 of 150, so I was towards the end of the queue but I did not join the line until 18:20.  I did see a few people getting frustrated by 2am with the speed the queue moved at. I was fine though, and we had the added benefit of getting to pay and queue for the signings up stairs so were able to chat with some of the store staff (who were not just staff from the Leicester Square store, there were drafted in from other stores also).

We found one or two of the Lego team were a little more relaxed with the scratch card situation by this time, so I managed to get three R2-D2s! A real win for me was the Scarif Stormtrooper, as I was not able to get him on Force Friday. Of course, the caveman/woman set was nice also...but I did just spend a lot of money! 

The complimentary taxi (Addison Lee) was a nice thought, as for me it was now heading to 3.15am, so I headed back to my office on Oxford Street for a cup of tea and awaited the trains to start up again at 5.45am to get home...You do get some odd looks walking through London St Pancras International dragging a very large box of lego behind you!

It was a good event, and I met some great people which seems to be a common experience, I heard many people saying goodbye to their "queue buddies" as people left the store to go their own ways.

I would say I'm looking forward to the next one, but I need some time to financially recover!
    Legoboybandit778snowhitieomniumAdzbadboyricecakegmonkey76Klintanstlux
  • papluhpapluh Member Posts: 52
    Huw said:
    I have email from LIT2014 if in need of contact. 
    Great guy. And the way he can cope with LEGO building is really inspirational. 
    papluh said:
    Huw said:
    I have email from LIT2014 if in need of contact. 
    Great guy. And the way he can cope with LEGO building is really inspirational. 
    Yes please if you dig it out.  I'd like to send him some pics.  Can you pm me with it?  Cheers, J.
  • Carlos133Carlos133 Dalton in furness Member Posts: 1
    Hopefully ormskirkbricks you got my message.  I'm knew to this lol

OrmskirkBricks
  • clickabrickclickabrick SuffolkMember Posts: 16
    Evening all.  Here's a short vid of how things looked from a bit further down the queue.
    Please excuse the out of focus images, by that time of night things were more wobbly
    :D

JBricks27SeanTheCollectorDaragh