Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

UCS falcon rumours (that turned out to be true!)

Comments

• stetstet Member Posts: 45
    I miss the days before numbered bags :)
    Bartelas
  • whisperwill28whisperwill28 NevadaMember Posts: 11
    Heard this bad boy is on the way ^
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,697
    edited September 2017
    Anyone know of good companies that do custom acrylic cases or stands? Might need one for this beast! I don't even want to begin thinking of how much effort it would be to dust off every day especially with those gaps and greebling details.

I'm considering having a clear acrylic stand to hold it upright much like the LEGO Brand Store displays in my Billy bookcase, maybe a light more tilted upwards then purchase those overdue glass doors I've been meaning to get. Only issue with that display would be you'd have to open the doors every time you want to see the whole model. Otherwise it would have the door frames cutting through the middle.

The more expensive alternative would be to get a custom UV 5mm thick acrylic case designed to fit on a Lack coffee table from IKEA. I've worked it out and the materials alone would cost £500+. Reasoning for the UV and thinkness is due to potential sunlight / light rays and given its a large surface to cover.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,328
    Huw said:
    Fireheart said:
    Huw said:
    Bags are numbered 1 to 17. I've completed 1 to 5. Taken just under 5 hours so far.
    What? The resident Star Wars guru @CapnRex101 has let you take the best Star Wars build in 10 years.. cannot believe that was an easy conversation :) 
    It was easy: he's off on holiday today for the rest of the month :)
    Good thing too or we would have had pistols at dawn :)

In all seriousness, I don't think my photographic 'studio' (which could currently be mistaken for a large piece of card on a table) would be big enough for such a huge model!
    LostInTranslationFireheartgmonkey76davetheoxygenmanAdeelZubaircatwranglerLego_Star
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,831
    Mattyman said:
    Huw said:
    Mattyman said:
    Huw said:
    Bags are numbered 1 to 17. I've completed 1 to 5. Taken just under 5 hours so far.
    Roughly how many bags in total Huw? If you are allowed to say.
    I've not counted but I think they average 3.5 per number, so about 60.
    Thanks huw. 10179 had 79 bags so surprised this has less. I guess bigger bags. 
    The average piece size appears significantly smaller than those in #10179.  Well know more midweek presumably.  :)
    samiam391
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,416
    @Adzbadboy Pure Display already sells a GBP100 acrylic display case for #10179 as highlighted by @Legofanscott last week in this thread: http://www.puredisplay.com/pureshop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4558
  • MattymanMattyman LondonMember Posts: 27
    Legoboy said:
    Mattyman said:
    Huw said:
    Mattyman said:
    Huw said:
    Roughly how many bags in total Huw? If you are allowed to say.
    I've not counted but I think they average 3.5 per number, so about 60.
    Thanks huw. 10179 had 79 bags so surprised this has less. I guess bigger bags. 
    The average piece size appears significantly smaller than those in #10179.  Well know more midweek presumably.  :)
    True. Though there is 2500 extra pieces!  Bags in bags maybe
  • robertleylandrobertleyland CumbriaMember Posts: 18
    17 bags is pretty good, clearly catered toward the adult market (other than the price of course!). Makes it avg of 443 pieces per bag. Bare in mind that 75144 snowspeeder has 1700 pieces and 13 bags, 17 is far less than I was expecting.  Pleasantly surprised :)
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,416
    @robertleyland The bags are numbered 1 through 17, but in large sets there's usually several bags with the same number. As @Huw mentioned, there's an average of 3.5 bags per number, for about 60 total.
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 622
    edited September 2017
    I don't understand why there's this desire for less bags?

I mean, if you really want to stretch the build out that much longer (and I totally understand savouring it!), then surely opening several bags and pouring the contents into a big pile isn't *that* much extra work in relation to total time you're going to spend digging around to find the bits you need? And those that don't want to do as much rifling, they can happily open the bags sequentially.
    M_BossFollowsCloselyCasper_vd_Korfomnium
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 934
    Bobflip said:
    I don't understand why there's this desire for less bags?

I mean, if you really want to stretch the build out that much longer (and I totally understand savouring it!), then surely opening several bags and pouring the contents into a big pile isn't *that* much extra work in relation to total time you're going to spend digging around to find the bits you need? And those that don't want to do as much rifling, they can happily open the bags sequentially.
    Well, it's more environmentally responsible, for one. Otherwise I don't necessarily see the advantage, save for in cases where sets only have one bag with each number (which can be a huge convenience both in terms of the space it takes to build a given segment and the stress of searching frantically for a part only to realize there was one more bag with a two on it that didn't get opened with the others).
    I've not heard the environmentally responsible reason before, but it makes sense, and as LEGO are looking to being more responsible in this area (such as smaller packaging and wanting to find the next eco-plastic), maybe they could find a biodegradable alternative for the bags.

Regarding the numbering... they should probably number them 2.1, 2.2 etc and list the number of bags inside the instructions!

Usually I see people say it's too hand-holdy, but then, AFOLs tend to have a lot less free time than the kids do!

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    The numbered bags are the best of both worlds. Those who prefer building them in small chunks with only a a portion of parts out at a time can follow the order and those that prefer the old way for a challenge or to extend the build are free to open all the bags at once and sort everything 
    omniumAanchirBartelascatwrangler
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,034
    edited September 2017
      The more I look at the pictures the more similar To 10179 the build appears. Especially the frame. The interior shots reveal a similar, if not exact, build in many areas. The same can be said for many of the shell. Exact same combination of plates make up the front half of the pie.
      I won't pass, but I will wait for a deal.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,769
    I saw it in the Leeds store on saturday. There weren't many kids interested in it, the only people really hanging around the display case were middle aged men. Most people were looking and just walking straight past it. I took a photo of my son in front of it, but what he really wanted his photo taken with was the Destiny's Bounty.
    Bengh_ZeranMuftak1CM4Sbandit778pharmjodcatwrangler
  • Bengh_ZeranBengh_Zeran NetherlandsMember Posts: 40
    ^All too recognizable. I've seen the same thing happening -middle aged men incl. myself hanging around the MF display- in the Lego store I was at with my 6 year old son. My son agreed to have his picture taken in front of the display after which he went straight to the PaB wall...

...So judging from what I too have witnessed I almost start believing I'm entering my midlife crisis and this new MF *will be* the ultimate drug prescription to prevent an actual midlife crisis from happening! (Or is just *wanting* to own and build this MF the ultimate sign of a midlife crisis already... my son's name is 'Luke' btw, not accidentally...)

:-O
    CM4SYee
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,477
    I've decided, if I ever get one of these I'm going to kraggle it and convert it into a drone.
    Bengh_Zeranpharmjodcatwrangler
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,570
    ^ why not just buy a ready made Falcon drone. They are much, much cheaper and likely to stay in one piece.
    It also avoids kraggling any Lego. :)
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 831
    I guess TLG will have some kraggled Falcons for sale in a few months time?? :-)
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,477
    Please, don't take my post seriously. 
    A.Brickovsky
    I didn't :-)
    But the thought of TLG having kraggled Falcons for sale is interesting. There'll be loads of them - at least one per store.
    I guess they'll all be snapped up internally, but does anyone know what happens to such models?
    Having one of their display cases would be more interesting.
    blakusdk
  • Adzbadboy said:
    Anyone know of good companies that do custom acrylic cases or stands? Might need one for this beast! I don't even want to begin thinking of how much effort it would be to dust off every day especially with those gaps and greebling details.

I'm considering having a clear acrylic stand to hold it upright much like the LEGO Brand Store displays in my Billy bookcase, maybe a light more tilted upwards then purchase those overdue glass doors I've been meaning to get. Only issue with that display would be you'd have to open the doors every time you want to see the whole model. Otherwise it would have the door frames cutting through the middle.

The more expensive alternative would be to get a custom UV 5mm thick acrylic case designed to fit on a Lack coffee table from IKEA. I've worked it out and the materials alone would cost £500+. Reasoning for the UV and thinkness is due to potential sunlight / light rays and given its a large surface to cover.

I got a custom built one for the 10179 MF from https://www.acrylicdisplaycases.co.uk/ pretty expensive though.
    omnium said:
    But the thought of TLG having kraggled Falcons for sale is interesting. There'll be loads of them - at least one per store.
    I guess they'll all be snapped up internally, but does anyone know what happens to such models?
    They rarely get officially sold. Although occassionally get "scrapped" but appear in someone's living room.
  • Standard_GrinStandard_Grin Member Posts: 24
    Bobflip said:
    I've not heard the environmentally responsible reason before, but it makes sense, and as LEGO are looking to being more responsible in this area (such as smaller packaging and wanting to find the next eco-plastic), maybe they could find a biodegradable alternative for the bags.

Regarding the numbering... they should probably number them 2.1, 2.2 etc and list the number of bags inside the instructions!

Usually I see people say it's too hand-holdy, but then, AFOLs tend to have a lot less free time than the kids do!

How about Lego not introducing more new sets year after year (and instead stimulating creativity!)? And do we really need sets the size of the new MF? The raw materials, production, shipping etc. of all these sets have a much bigger footprint than an additional bag! IMHO Lego talks about durability but acts very differently...

• cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 806
    CCC said:
    omnium said:
    They rarely get officially sold. Although occassionally get "scrapped" but appear in someone's living room.
    will you be there thursday morning?
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 410
    3 more days. . .
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 934
    Bobflip said:

How about Lego not introducing more new sets year after year (and instead stimulating creativity!)? And do we really need sets the size of the new MF? The raw materials, production, shipping etc. of all these sets have a much bigger footprint than an additional bag! IMHO Lego talks about durability but acts very differently...

Obviously Lego can't 100% nullify their environmental footprint (though they do what they can to minimize it and offset it with environmental initiatives). But a set like the Millennium Falcon wouldn't really have that much of an impact compared to any other set—sure, it's bigger than most other sets, but like other large sets it's also produced in much smaller quantities. If they weren't producing, packaging, and shipping this set to stores you can bet they'd be producing, packaging, and shipping smaller sets to make up the difference, because they're not exactly planning to just mark shelves with "this space intentionally left blank".

I don't even know what you mean about "not introducing more new sets year after year". If you find the number of sets a hindrance to creativity, maybe... buy fewer of them? The reason they produce so much is so that there will be something for everyone; they're not expecting people to feel compelled to buy everything.
    Aanchirgmonkey76
  • Bengh_ZeranBengh_Zeran NetherlandsMember Posts: 40
    edited September 2017
    Lyichir said:
    ><SNIP>< they're not expecting people to feel compelled to buy everything.
    They're not??? :O :O :O
    supervir2
    Bobflip said:

They just posted this on Instagram, btw:

edited September 2017

@Lyichir: When I wrote my comment, I was looking at it from a kid's perspective; they typically (I know there's exceptions) want the newest toys instead of playing with what they have (while Lego is THE toy that lends itself for using in so many ways!).

But you even hear AFOLs say that they don't know how to finance their hobby with so many great sets! I mean, if there were fewer sets, wouldn't we all enjoy what we have more instead of already 'having to' look ahead at what's coming next?

• datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,698
    I would think that the store displays for #75192 will end up going home with store managers unless LEGO is very tight on their scrapping policy. I inquired at a Target store locally about getting a display that was being removed from the shelf and was told that they were required to destroy it. While the logistics of selling off the store displays would be a mess, it always seemed to me that throwing them away was both a lost sale opportunity and a massive waste.
    omniumSirBrickalotOfLego
    Bobflip said:

That's one heck of a leap from "why do people want less bags when they could just tip the bits out onto a table?"

They're a business, and they need to regularly refresh their product line!
    omnium
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Hornell, NYMember Posts: 632
    Going back to the numbered bags discussion - As a parent of 2 young children and 2 dogs, and sometimes more when we are dog sitting, the numbered bags are a huge help.  I can build sections at a time and leave the rest of the pieces safely bagged.  For huge sets, they would never survive the multiple days it takes me without kids and/or dogs losing a piece or pieces during the build.  Even with numbered bags I just found pieces of a mid construction Assembly Square all over the living room floor from some helicopter dog action from a dog we were sitting.  Luckily I found them all!
    omniumBobflipYeeBumblepants

And to add to that: I know that Lego is not a charitable organisation, but I guess I considered (hoped...) them to be just that bit different. However, the recent press release (you knkow which one) felt like a cold shower!

Although I'm still a fan of the brick, the company has lost some of my credit...

But you even hear AFOLs say that they don't know how to finance their hobby with so many great sets! I mean, if there were fewer sets, wouldn't we all enjoy what we have more instead of already 'having to' look ahead at what's coming next?

Only if those existing sets could be rebuilt in many ways. Or you MOC. Set collectors (ones that open the boxes) tend to build once and leave it as given in the instructions.

But think about it. If they change to making only half the number of sets and decrease their sales because of it, would you be willing to pay 1.5 or 2x as much for each set?

The environmental impact of a few plastic bags per set is minimal compared to the environmental cost of transport, production, storage, etc. Plus I'd imagine there would be more complaints about missing parts if all parts were in just one bag, and probably less able to do quality control on them (which is part of the reason for the bags). They know what all the individual bags should weigh, so they can tell if there is an error in one of them. If there was just one bag, then a single error is likely to mean a whole set gets junked, instead of just one smaller bag.

When you consider that waste of a few bags compared to say the packaging used to get the item to you, or the carry bag from the store, or the plastic in a soft drinks bottle that you might drink while building, it puts it into some perspective.
    Bobflipgmonkey76
  • C0chiseC0chise TennesseeMember Posts: 47
    What time will [email protected] begin selling the Falcon?  Is it midnight Eastern Time for the US?
    PapaBear
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    I honestly never thought I'd see so much discussion on the environmental impact of toy packaging materials.
    FollowsCloselymonkeyhangerM_BossBumblepants
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,081
    ^ What really bugs me is that the outer bags are marked as recyclable, but the inner smaller bags that you sometimes get inside the large bags are not marked at all. Are they recyclable? Are they not? Am I contaminating the recycling bin with non-recyclables by putting them in there? Argghhh! :/
    Jenni
    ^ What really bugs me is that the outer bags are marked as recyclable, but the inner smaller bags that you sometimes get inside the large bags are not marked at all. Are they recyclable? Are they not? Am I contaminating the recycling bin with non-recyclables by putting them in there? Argghhh! :/
    It's a moot point where I live: "Please note that we cannot recycle plastic bags or films, only clean, rigid containers".

The smaller bags might be made of a different material, they feel different. But what that means is a different matter.
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 620
    I would think that the store displays for #75192 will end up going home with store managers unless LEGO is very tight on their scrapping policy. I inquired at a Target store locally about getting a display that was being removed from the shelf and was told that they were required to destroy it. While the logistics of selling off the store displays would be a mess, it always seemed to me that throwing them away was both a lost sale opportunity and a massive waste.
    I've purchased some (store displays) from the US and Europe.. and there is one problem with these.. they break very easily in transport.
    I've currently got a nice Star Wars multi figure display (the blue one) with figures smashed, and the Perspex cracked... The shipping box was in good condition as well, so I think it happens when the box isn't kept upright in transport..
  • baublitzbaublitz KansasMember Posts: 53
    C0chise said:
    What time will [email protected] begin selling the Falcon?  Is it midnight Eastern Time for the US?
    I was able to order my Snowspeeder for May the 4th at 11:01pm central time on 5/3, so yes it's midnight eastern time.
    C0chise
  • SamuraiPeteSamuraiPete Member Posts: 40
    Does anyone see any incentive to get this on day 1?  I was at the LEGO store this weekend to see it in person and it is impressive, but the employee didn't think the initial batch were numbered or anything.  They also said they would only get a few in stock.  Figured I would wait for x2 VIP in October unless some one had some insider information on why one might need to buy this on day 1
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Hornell, NYMember Posts: 632
    I'm really hoping I'll be able to get this online.  It will be approx $20 back via Ebates.  Not much, but it's something!  And if anyone still needs an Ebates account hook me up with your email address via PM!  Full Disclosure:  1 away from the referral bonus... 
  • baublitzbaublitz KansasMember Posts: 53
    Does anyone see any incentive to get this on day 1?  I was at the LEGO store this weekend to see it in person and it is impressive, but the employee didn't think the initial batch were numbered or anything.  They also said they would only get a few in stock.  Figured I would wait for x2 VIP in October unless some one had some insider information on why one might need to buy this on day 1
    I will buy 1st day and return if there is no special edition, signed copies, etc. I've chatted with LEGO several times and they tell me the only incentive is to get the set early. Even the black VIP card will be available long after the 1st day.

Like you said, in October we get double VIP, PLUS this new VIP member Free exclusive VIP Set (40178) with a purchase of $125 or more, while supplies last. Worth the wait IMHO. Although, one could even buy again on October 10th and return that set in place of their 1st one if they got it on 9/14, to take advantage of the full benefits and get it early as well. LEGO sets have never been serialized aside from 1st editions, have they?
  • Wicksy80Wicksy80 Northern IrelandMember Posts: 593
    VIP card available until 31st Dec. 
    omniumbandit778Bengh_Zerankezricecake
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,365
    That's a little disappointing.guess I don't be have to get right away
    baublitz said:
    I will buy 1st day and return if there is no special edition, signed copies, etc. I've chatted with LEGO several times and they tell me the only incentive is to get the set early. Even the black VIP card will be available long after the 1st day.

Like you said, in October we get double VIP, PLUS this new VIP member Free exclusive VIP Set (40178) with a purchase of $125 or more, while supplies last. Worth the wait IMHO. Although, one could even buy again on October 10th and return that set in place of their 1st one if they got it on 9/14, to take advantage of the full benefits and get it early as well. LEGO sets have never been serialized aside from 1st editions, have they?
    My only concern with waiting is availability.
  • Wicksy80Wicksy80 Northern IrelandMember Posts: 593
    Yeah, I'm really on the fence whether to get day one or hold off for double VIP. My wife is actually pushing me to get it day one, and says we really need to get the Death Star too to compliment it!!!
    SirBrickalotOfLegosnowhitie