Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

UCS falcon rumours (that turned out to be true!)

Comments

• omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 831
    edited September 2017
    Looking at the list of the people who say they are "going" on the facebook event, some of them live in Australia, Brazil, etc., so I doubt they are actually going. But still the numbers are stacking up against being able to get one if you aren't at the front of the queue come midnight :O
  • ateagueateague EnglandMember Posts: 171
    Think it's just Leicester Square from info we have! 
  • drdesignzdrdesignz USMember Posts: 110
    Fireheart said:
    I'm getting little bit confused here.. So is the Leicester Square event the only one in the world giving away these VIP Case holders, to the first 100 buyers? Or are there other invites around the world with other Lego designers and midnight giveaways, with VIP case holders?
    I'm also confused.  Was just looking for a definite answer.  But I have to get back to work now.
  • papluhpapluh Member Posts: 52
    The German site Zusammengebaut http://zusammengebaut.com/lego-star-wars-ucs-millennium-falcon-75192-limitierte-vip-karte-alle-fakten-33344/
    claims the German LEGO press office told them it will be available both for in store and online purchases. But no word of perks in 2018.

But I'd just wait until some confirmed data comes in. On Force Friday I was showing the card online info (MF subpage on LEGO site) to a Store manager, he claimed it is not valid for Europe after checking internally. It has also disappeared from the online store site  and it is still not there. Its a mess.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,795
    leetshoe said:
    l wouldn't mind ordering it online, but is there any way to make Lego request a signed on delivery? l don't want $800 waiting on my doorstep for 4 hours while l'm at work.
    Do what I do when buying something expensive online:  Spend the extra $$$ to have it shipped expedited through Fedex, then once the tracking number is available, change the delivery service to hold at location.  Then go and pick it up directly at the local pickup center(usually a Fedex/Kinkos).  Far safer, you get the quicker delivery, and mostly painless.
    I just received #71017 from Lego.com last week, opted for free shipping, and it was shipped by FedEx and delivered a day ahead of schedule. It was my first order ever direct from Lego, so I don't know if they use other carriers in addition to FedEx in the US, but you might not even have to pay extra.
    Goldchains
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,156
    edited September 2017
    Popped by the Metrocentre today to ask if I could preorder the new MF for the 14th.

Got a very definite no, it's strictly a first-come-first-served deal and I was told I should be queuing for it if I want to get one on the 14th. I was told that they're expecting 16 units in for the 14th.

Will try to order online at midnight, and failing that i'l hope that come the afternoon when I can nip out for lunch from work, I give them a quick call before setting off on the 15 min drive and if they have at least 2 in then i'll get down there and hope one is still there when I arrive.

With no special event opening time at the Metrocentre, no amazing freebie (a black VIP card that no-one knows what perks it will bring, if any), the fact that release date is on a school/work day, it's not that close to Christmas, and that it is so damn expensive - i'm semi confident that they won't have 16 people queuing for one at the 10am opening.
  • Anth88Anth88 MidwestMember Posts: 33
    Popped by the Metrocentre today to ask if I could preorder the new MF for the 14th.

Got a very definite no, it's strictly a first-come-first-served deal and I was told I should be queuing for it if I want to get one on the 14th. I was told that they're expecting 16 units in for the 14th.

Will try to order online at midnight, and failing that i'l hope that come the afternoon when I can nip out for lunch from work, I give them a quick call before setting off on the 15 min drive and if they have at least 2 in then i'll get down there and hope one is still there when I arrive.

With no special event opening time at the Metrocentre, no amazing freebie (a black VIP card that no-one knows what perks it will bring, if any), the fact that release date is on a school/work day, it's not that close to Christmas, and that it is so damn expensive - i'm semi confident that they won't have 16 people queuing for one at the 10am opening.
    I will bet every Lego store has them sold out early that day. Just too many that have wanted this but couldn't because of the extreme after market price of the original are gonna try for it. Plus you already have people ready to pony up 800-4000 bucks to either make a couple hundred off of it or sit on it until it's discontinued and sell. I see this with every popular collectable. Especially Star Wars Legos, Hot Wheels and comics. Once an item sky rockets for a particular toy/comic it attracts speculators who either hoard or make a quick flip. For Lego it pretty much started with the ucs MF and for Hot Wheels it started around the early 90's when older casting where sky rocketing and comics in also early 90's. Except for Comics the other two are still heavily hoarded.
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    So to be clear, if my closest Lego store has an event running, and I am the first 100 to show up for a MF, I get a holder for the black VIP card.  But every VIP that buys it gets a black VIP card....just not the holder.

• PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 596
    I would suggest getting to the store around 6-8 pm to wait in line.  It sounds like a lot of people will be going.  I doubt they have more than 100 to sell.

Here, on the east coast US, people camp out for days just to be first in line for a launch item.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,795
    I suspect every one available at a brick-and-mortar store will be snapped up just as fast as they can process the purchases at the register. Scalpers will be hiring people to stand in line with cash in hand so they can put them up for sale online an hour later for at least 3 times MSRP. A scalper with 100 copies can advertise that they have "only 10 available" to help fuel the buying frenzy.

Here's hoping LEGO has made so many copies of the new Falcon that they are in stock continuously through at least January, with triple points and freebies for all.
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    I mean, this is the Lego brand flagship....what good would it do to leave a bunch of collectors disappointed and forced to head to eBay?  They may have stock issues to start, but I can't believe they won't make enough for anyone that wants one to have the chance to purchase one.  And if they were hyping it as a limited run, wouldn't they have said something by now, or did I miss it?
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 596
    LEGO simultaneously fuels this problem while denouncing resellers.  5 available per person?  What the hell are they thinking?

They really can't come to a consensus on how bad the aftermarket is.  It's all companies though.  I read that most of the people that bought up preorders for the mini-SNES at Gamestop were actually Gamestop employees.

Welcome to 2017, where slowing sales means you should piss off your fan base by having your stock be sold out.  Maybe that will trick them into fighting to the death for the next batch.
    monkeyhangercatwrangler
  • mattytreksmattytreks San Diego, CAMember Posts: 201
    PapaBear said:
    5 available per person?  What the hell are they thinking?
    I commented on this aspect a few pages ago, and I think it has less do with with LEGO being "out of touch" or oblivious to scalping, and much more so to do with the fact that they want to ensure this first batch, at the very least, gets swiped up just as soon as it possibly can.  The last thing they want are their warehouse racks and storefront shelves full of unsold boxes of the largest, most expensive set they've ever offered.  LEGO actually probably can't sell them quick enough...
  • robertleylandrobertleyland CumbriaMember Posts: 18
    Does anyone else think Lego have missed a trick by not allowing online preorders? After 1 month of teasing the new MF, and it being their flagship set, surely they would benefit from allowing people to preorder it and then using a reliable courier service to make sure that everyone who preordered online received it on 14th sept. 

It it baffles me that if I was to order it online (living 100 miles from the nearest bricks and mortar store) that I wouldn't get it for a week (by comparison I ordered a 'ucs' bb8 because of triple points and it's taken a week for me to receive it.)

i would have got got caught up in the hype of it all if i could have preordered it with guarantee day one delivery. But as it is I will wait for at least double points, even if it takes a while for it to be in stock during a promotion. 

If if they had opened preorders they could have gauged genuine interest (rather than 'I'm interested but....') and made sure they had enough to meet demand. And if a couple of people get theirs a day early, it's hardly as if there are any spoilers, and no-one would get it early enough to demand a high price on eBay. 
    omnium
    edited September 2017
    Wow price is really coming down on the 2007 now. He sat on 10 for a little too long. Oops..lol
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/282640456848
  • dspigeldspigel Newport NewsMember Posts: 471
    Anth88 said:
    Wow price is really coming down on the 2007 now. He sat on 10 for a little too long. Oops..lol
    I question the legitimacy of these. I feel like a deep cut like this is too good to be true. 
    pharmjodSumoLegoBengh_ZeranFollowsClosely
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 691
    dspigel said:
    Anth88 said:
    I question the legitimacy of these. I feel like a deep cut like this is too good to be true. 
    Yeah, bound to be a scam. In any case, it's too early to gauge how the 10179 price would be affected by the new one.
    Also some very bizarre looking feedback history! 

pharmjod
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    Yeah, I can almost guarantee no one has 10 of the original UCS Falcon, period. I have a friend that purchased 5 back when they were on clearance at FAO Schwartz and I still think he was an anomaly. If someone did have 10 and were actually stupid enough to STILL have 10, well I have no sympathy.

There is a guy over on brickpicker though that claimed at one point to have 60 (sixty) #10188. I believe him based on his other buying patterns and photos.

All I have to say to that is bwahahahahahahahaha. 
    SumoLegodougtsBumblepantsFollowsCloselydatsunrobbiesnowhitie
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,153
    ^ I'm always suspicious of those stories, as the original UCS MF was not around that long, and there were not that many produced - as compared to the DS.
    If I can't get it on the 14th then i'll have a wait on my hands for the 2nd or 3rd run - if that happens then I can wait for double/triple points or other incentives.

Maybe i'll get some time to finish by XXL Batcave in the meantime.

When TLG expects the first run demand to be huge, they should be offering up 1 per person, then loosen it to 3 or 5 for subsequent runs if need be. With the limits they're offering up on day 1, they clearly don't give a toss about how much money resellers make. They could've offered up preordering with a deposit scheme - Buy a special £100/$100 ticket to reserve your MF that doubles up as a perfectly valid Lego giftcard if you change your mind and are a no show on the 14th.

Resellers buy up early stock = win for TLG, demand is even higher for their product at the retail price which looks ever more reasonable against ebay prices and they sell their stock quickly.

Aftermarket price being huge for #10179 = win for TLG, again the £650/$800 RRP for the new one looks like a bargain in comparison.
    omnium
  • MattymanMattyman LondonMember Posts: 27
    They will change the limit as soon as we have access to buy the set. I've seen this happen multiple times. 
    omnium
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 831
    For the launch event at Leicester Sq, at least, TLG have said it's 1 per person. I'd expect the same across all stores on 14th. Their dreadful website is a different matter! I hope @Mattyman is right.
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 421
    edited September 2017
    PapaBear said:
    5 available per person?  What the hell are they thinking?
    I commented on this aspect a few pages ago, and I think it has less do with with LEGO being "out of touch" or oblivious to scalping, and much more so to do with the fact that they want to ensure this first batch, at the very least, gets swiped up just as soon as it possibly can.  The last thing they want are their warehouse racks and storefront shelves full of unsold boxes of the largest, most expensive set they've ever offered.  LEGO actually probably can't sell them quick enough...
    I spoke to a Lego Store employee about this and here in the US (in the NC store I visited) they are limiting to 1 per household at the store. He said that will very likely be updated online as well and the 5 limit is probably just a placeholder. He expects 1 per household there as well.
    Also, I had to call Lego about a an issue with my VIP number and asked him about the limit as well. He didn't know what the final limit would be, but he said he definitely expects that number to get changed and doubts it will be 5
    omnium
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,701
    I hope it stays at one per household during its entire run, I don't see more than one in each household given the high RRP.
    omnium
  • KleiovousKleiovous UKMember Posts: 95
    Not the best quality video, but interesting nevertheless:

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/star-wars-lego-ucs-millennium-falcon-75192

C0chiseSeanTheCollector
  • C0chiseC0chise TennesseeMember Posts: 47
    Why is the video quality so bad? We do have HD cameras now right?
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    C0chise said:
    Why is the video quality so bad? We do have HD cameras now right?
    Think he means the quality of the content, we dont see the set being made, the box and packaging arnt shown and the lighting is pretty bad.
  • drdesignzdrdesignz USMember Posts: 110
    If we, as Lego fans, were all patient and agree not to buy the Falcon for as long as it takes for it to be discounted heavily, allowing only the resellers to acquire them in the meantime, then they will be stuck with a huge investment and we get a better deal.
    SirBrickalotOfLegomonkeyhanger
    Promobricks has put online pics of the partial unboxing :D shows design of inside boxes and sticker sheet. Otherwise nothing interesting I guess.

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-star-war-ucs-millennium-falcon-75192-ausgepackt/41677
    SeanTheCollector
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,250
    ^ Really not a lot of photos, and not actually showing all that much either.
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 421
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but heard from a Lego Store employee today that there are only 20,000 of the black VIP cards. 
    Not much, but any poor soul scared off due to sticker means a higher chance for others :D
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,047
    That's because he shouldn't be showing anything at all until Thursday.
  • sskmercer1sskmercer1 Brisbane, AustraliaMember Posts: 24
    I really can't wait for this set. My first proper UCS set since getting back into Lego.

I do have one query though regarding the online store, why does it show 1st October and not the 14th September (VIP members). I'm logged in so i'm not sure why? Otherwise i have to wait till the 1st anyway when our "certified" Lego Store at dreamworld gets them argh... This is so annoying we can;t go and pick it up on the 14th.   
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,368
    Huw said:
    They apparently aren't his pics they are from Facebook so blame the guy from Facebook ;)
    drdesignz said:
    If we, as Lego fans, were all patient and agree not to buy the Falcon for as long as it takes for it to be discounted heavily, allowing only the resellers to acquire them in the meantime, then they will be stuck with a huge investment and we get a better deal.
    No, not gonna happen. I don't think anyone who really wants this is gonna chance not getting it just to save a mere $100 at most....
    FollowsClosely
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,242
    drdesignz said:
    You just described the perfect senerio for resellers. One production run and done would be horrible for us fans and great for us evil resellers.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,250
    Huw said:
    Aha! I did wonder if there might be an embargo on reviews.
    ^ Gives the mods some time to finish building the review set - how is that going by the way, as a % done and how much time in at the moment? I'm guessing about 15 hours if you really go at it, I did the 10179 in 10 hours.
  • robertleylandrobertleyland CumbriaMember Posts: 18
    15 hours build sounds about right, 10179 took me about 20 but most of that was finding pieces. It will be a lot quicker with numbered bags. 
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 631
    Huw said:
    Bags are numbered 1 to 17. I've completed 1 to 5. Taken just under 5 hours so far.
    What? The resident Star Wars guru @CapnRex101 has let you take the best Star Wars build in 10 years.. cannot believe that was an easy conversation :) 
    FollowsClosely
    edited September 2017
    That sticker sheet is smaller than I thought (fewer stickers), which is a very good thing.

Seeing the video though, showed me that the sub-light engine array build looks inferior to that used on #10179. I wonder whether that set-up could squeeze in a build 4 studs high of 2 x 1 trans-blue tiles stood length-ways on a knuckled plate/block backing to get the curvature and also the tiny gaps. It would look something like the back of the Hasbro toy model:-

Huw said:
    Bags are numbered 1 to 17. I've completed 1 to 5. Taken just under 5 hours so far.
    Roughly how many bags in total Huw? If you are allowed to say.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,701
    Looks like it will be taking me 24+ hours to build...can't wait!
  • Bengh_ZeranBengh_Zeran NetherlandsMember Posts: 42
    ^^^I agree it would probably look better with a trans-blue 1x2 tiles setup, but judging from the Wired video (at 03m00s) there is at least plenty of room left to add Power Functions LEDs in the back, incl. plenty of room for a (rechargeable) battery pack etc.
  • landolando Member Posts: 108
    So glad I saved my money and didn't spend £1000 plus on the bricklinked 10179. Still can't believe this new MF is on its way :-) 
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,047
    edited September 2017
    Mattyman said:
    Huw said:
    I've not counted but I think they average 3.5 per number, so about 60.
    Yee
    Huw said:
    Mattyman said:
    Huw said:
    I've not counted but I think they average 3.5 per number, so about 60.
    Thanks huw. 10179 had 79 bags so surprised this has less. I guess bigger bags.