Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

UCS falcon rumours (that turned out to be true!)

16869717374128

Comments

  • WhateveristWhateverist BelgiumMember Posts: 28
    I got the Leicester Square midnight opening e-mail (train tickets are 160 euros, boo) - has there been any word on a Cologne midnight event?

    Not that I'm going or anything, just... in case money falls from the sky suddenly.
    stlux
  • WhateveristWhateverist BelgiumMember Posts: 28
    Also, what's this about "tunnel stickers"? Can't open the video right now.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,392
    So with the event now confirmed as only being an hour, when do people think you have to camp out from?
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,570
    Anyone in the states have any details on what the black vip card will actually get you? I'm hoping that the promotions are for discounts and extra points, and not special sets.
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,170
    CCC said:
    I can't believe anyone here genuinely believes that printed parts instead of stickers would have any bearing on the price of the MF. Look at the exchange rates when buying this in the US, Europe and UK (and compare to the WV train station). Lego havent priced the MF to hit a specific profit margin they price purely on what they think the market will sustain and 20 or however many printed parts would cost lego pence rather than pounds. They understandably want the UCS plaque to be a sticker and then after that they're just lazy.
    I agree, especially with that last sentence. They are going to do a sticker for the plaque anyway, so they decide to fill up the sheet with designs for other stickered parts rather than print them.
    I'm just going to re-iterate what I said above. From a great deal of experience designing toys, I can tell you honestly, stickers are a lot cheaper to produce. The choice isn't between printed elements or stickers, the choice is stickers or nothing at all.
    I don't believe that laziness was the driving force behind making stickers and although I would also prefer printed elements, I do believe the additional stickers represent added value.
    I don't know what set-up Lego have but even if the printing factory is next door to the injection moulding factory there is a more expensive logistics problem to overcome. A couple of sheets of stickers that the builder applies themselves is fairly easy to manage.


    YeeCasper_vd_Korf
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,113
    I'm curious as to why there are no signing events in the US? I assume it is because there are just too many stores and AFOLs are too spread out to justify it?  I wish we had our own version of a "Leicester Square" that was a flagship of sorts. I guess the closest thing we have to that would be one of the downtown NYC stores.
    FollowsClosely
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,651
    One hour only? I really hope 100s of people don't show up but I know that's not going to be the case...
    omnium
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,347
    Also, what's this about "tunnel stickers"? Can't open the video right now.
    There are stickered panel Bricks representing the hallways so there's no full interior 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,725
    omnium said:

    https://brickset.com/article/30454/be-the-first-to-own-a-millennium-falcon

    Logistics are the problem, as CCC mentions on there. Trains stop about midnight when the signing starts.
    It wasn't me. I did start to comment but never posted it. It was about taking baseball bats and a big trolley to Leicester Square ... :-)

    omnium
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,775
    edited September 2017

    I get why stickers are a good option for keeping costs down, even on expensive models like this. What I don't get is how they manage printed pieces for Ideas sets. There must be a good explanation, but I'm stumped as to what it might be...

  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,725
    Mr_Cross said:
    CCC said:
    I can't believe anyone here genuinely believes that printed parts instead of stickers would have any bearing on the price of the MF. Look at the exchange rates when buying this in the US, Europe and UK (and compare to the WV train station). Lego havent priced the MF to hit a specific profit margin they price purely on what they think the market will sustain and 20 or however many printed parts would cost lego pence rather than pounds. They understandably want the UCS plaque to be a sticker and then after that they're just lazy.
    I agree, especially with that last sentence. They are going to do a sticker for the plaque anyway, so they decide to fill up the sheet with designs for other stickered parts rather than print them.
    I'm just going to re-iterate what I said above. From a great deal of experience designing toys, I can tell you honestly, stickers are a lot cheaper to produce. The choice isn't between printed elements or stickers, the choice is stickers or nothing at all.

    With lego it is not necessarily stickers vs printed, there is a third option especially for large designs - use multiple other parts. For example, should something be a printed or stickered 1x6x5 panel? The other option is to build the detail in instead of using a single panel. But if they are doing a sticker sheet anyway, why not just use a large piece and make the detail through the sticker art. That is the approach they take.
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,048
    So with the event now confirmed as only being an hour, when do people think you have to camp out from?
    Early queuing for those with a weak bladder won't be fun. That'll put a completely different spin on Star Wars leaks ;-)
    Fireheartsnowhitieomniumbandit778legofanfromleedsAllBricklegojeroenLegoboycatwrangler
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,639
    I'm curious as to why there are no signing events in the US? I assume it is because there are just too many stores and AFOLs are too spread out to justify it?  I wish we had our own version of a "Leicester Square" that was a flagship of sorts. I guess the closest thing we have to that would be one of the downtown NYC stores.
    I assume it's a lot cheaper to get the designer to London than to America. Plus, of course, the designer can only be in one place the night before the official VIP release...
    Yee
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 809
    CCC said:
    omnium said:

    https://brickset.com/article/30454/be-the-first-to-own-a-millennium-falcon

    Logistics are the problem, as CCC mentions on there. Trains stop about midnight when the signing starts.
    It wasn't me. I did start to comment but never posted it. It was about taking baseball bats and a big trolley to Leicester Square ... :-)

    Sorry, it was @iso3200, not sure why I confused the two of you :-/
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,962
    I think the reason there are less events in the US is also because Billund-US is a bit more of a hassle than Billund-UK.

    @switchfoot Regarding time-sharing a MF. I don't think it's the worst idea in the world but I would probably say, someone pays to eventuelly own it and others pay 75 euros or so to be allowed to build it and have it for a month or 2, plus the first builder pays a premium. I do think otherwise it might end up in tears.

    @iso3200 I just came here after reading the Guardian article on 'Thinx', pants for urinary problems or monthly courses, I don't know if this is a personal issue or you were just in it for the joke, but otherwise you can maybe check if they make these for men too ;)

    I really don't think there will be such a crazy queue, I mean it's a great set and all and there are lots of fans, but it still is a loooooot of money.
    omniumYeeBrickfan50catwrangler
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,285
    edited September 2017
    The Leicester Square store has 150 copies of the set. It's difficult to predict how many people might attend the launch but I would be surprised if more than 150 people were intending to purchase it, even if more than 150 people are in attendance.
    stluxomniumAdeelZubair
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,725
    snowhitie said:

    @iso3200 I just came here after reading the Guardian article on 'Thinx', pants for urinary problems or monthly courses, I don't know if this is a personal issue or you were just in it for the joke, but otherwise you can maybe check if they make these for men too ;)
     
    Stadium Pal is the answer, as anyone that likes David Sedaris knows ...




  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 809
    From the front page:

    By Neil Martin in United Kingdom, 07 Sep 2017 14:04
    The London Q-Park Chinatown car park is just a 3 minute walk (okay, it'll take you slightly longer pulling a box on wheels . . .) away from Leicester Square and it's a shiny new secure car park. It's open 24 hours, a couple of hours parking costs GBP14.50 or parking from 6pm to 2am costs just GBP20.00 if you book in advance. And there's no London Congestion Charge after 6pm so you could drive in, load up and drive home!

    Maybe I'll drive, it's a lot cheaper if I can park for £20, and traffic in the evening is just about manageable.

  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 302
    So Hans (set designer for this) posted in the front page thread that he personally will NOT be at the launch event. However Jens (set designer of original UCS falcon) will be there, along with one of the design managers.

    This actually makes me much less bothered about turning up to the event. I may just buy it on [email protected] instead.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,725
    Yes. Get it signed by the design manager and design director instead of the designer ...

    This looks like bad timing.
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 594
    So Hans (set designer for this) posted in the front page thread that he personally will NOT be at the launch event. However Jens (set designer of original UCS falcon) will be there, along with one of the design managers.

    This actually makes me much less bothered about turning up to the event. I may just buy it on [email protected] instead.
    You can take your MISB 10179 and get that signed by Jens... 
    omniumsnowhitieAdeelZubairAllBrickLegoboy
  • Ringes1Ringes1 UkMember Posts: 2
    I have never purchased anything from a VIP launch. I have a VIP account but how does this process work? Do you get an email with a link to a specific page or just login to the lego site and you can buy through the normal shop page?
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 302
    Fireheart said:
    So Hans (set designer for this) posted in the front page thread that he personally will NOT be at the launch event. However Jens (set designer of original UCS falcon) will be there, along with one of the design managers.

    This actually makes me much less bothered about turning up to the event. I may just buy it on [email protected] instead.
    You can take your MISB 10179 and get that signed by Jens... 
    Hah, I was but a poor univeristy student at the time and couldn't afford one. I kicked myself for years afterwards for not buying it.

    This one is far superior in every way. :) Can't wait to get my hands on a copy.
  • Angry_WarlockAngry_Warlock MKMember Posts: 16
    Ringes1 said:
    I have never purchased anything from a VIP launch. I have a VIP account but how does this process work? Do you get an email with a link to a specific page or just login to the lego site and you can buy through the normal shop page?
    Log into the online store with your VIP ID. It will know you are a VIP and allow you to purchase 
    TyresOFlaherty
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,939
    Is there nowhere to park in central London after 11pm?

    I'm reminded of the episode of the inbetweeners where Simon takes them all clubbing in London and parks across a wholesaler's cargo doors.
    blakusdk
  • Ringes1Ringes1 UkMember Posts: 2
    Ringes1 said:
    I have never purchased anything from a VIP launch. I have a VIP account but how does this process work? Do you get an email with a link to a specific page or just login to the lego site and you can buy through the normal shop page?
    Log into the online store with your VIP ID. It will know you are a VIP and allow you to purchase 
    Awesome thank you. Fingers crossed stock will be high enough for me to bag one. Missed out on the last ucs falcon because I didn't have enough luggage space when in Florida. 
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 809
    Is there nowhere to park in central London after 11pm?

    I'm reminded of the episode of the inbetweeners where Simon takes them all clubbing in London and parks across a wholesaler's cargo doors.
    Yes, there is. As per my comment above, Neil Martin on the front page said:
    The London Q-Park Chinatown car park is just a 3 minute walk (okay, it'll take you slightly longer pulling a box on wheels . . .) away from Leicester Square and it's a shiny new secure car park. It's open 24 hours, a couple of hours parking costs GBP14.50 or parking from 6pm to 2am costs just GBP20.00 if you book in advance. And there's no London Congestion Charge after 6pm so you could drive in, load up and drive home!
  • kizkizkizkiz londonMember Posts: 95
    Fireheart said:
    Adzbadboy said:
    Shib said:
    Adzbadboy said:
    How long would I have to wait at Leicester Square for the midnight signing? Anyone have any previous experience with long lines at LEGO events?
    your biggest problem for this will more likely be the Star Wars fans than the LEGO fans. The queues for the prelaunch Exo-suit signing at Bluewater was long but moved at a brisk pace. The added Star Wars fandom though could really make it a different experience.
    So I've heard, I'll make sure to get there extra early, hopefully the store staff make a pleasant experience such as limiting the number of guests entering the store at a time, they did it with 21310 - Old Fishing Store even though they barely had a line, it was only a handful of people waiting in queue.
    This person on eBay must be thinking there is another signing event and early release? 



    Even better for the people selling these designer signed items....the designer has confirmed he won't be at the signing. lol
    TyresOFlahertyFireheartAllBrickC0chiseYeeLegoboy
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,651
    If they allow for #10179 boxes at the event to be signed I wouldn't be surprised if some of them retain their value.
  • historymanhistoryman Member Posts: 366
    Any ideas how many copies regular stores expect to have on 14th? Will there be some left by the evening or will they all go first thing? 
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    edited September 2017
    Any ideas how many copies regular stores expect to have on 14th? Will there be some left by the evening or will they all go first thing? 
    Just called my nearest store, they are expecting 3, or 6. And have had people planning to wait 3 hours at the door or more in hopes of getting one. If your store is like mine, I'm guessing zero chance of getting it end of that day
    Yee
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,725
    Adzbadboy said:
    If they allow for #10179 boxes at the event to be signed I wouldn't be surprised if some of them retain their value.
    Or just take the manual if opened.
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 594
    kizkiz said:
    Fireheart said:
    Adzbadboy said:
    Shib said:
    Adzbadboy said:
    How long would I have to wait at Leicester Square for the midnight signing? Anyone have any previous experience with long lines at LEGO events?
    your biggest problem for this will more likely be the Star Wars fans than the LEGO fans. The queues for the prelaunch Exo-suit signing at Bluewater was long but moved at a brisk pace. The added Star Wars fandom though could really make it a different experience.
    So I've heard, I'll make sure to get there extra early, hopefully the store staff make a pleasant experience such as limiting the number of guests entering the store at a time, they did it with 21310 - Old Fishing Store even though they barely had a line, it was only a handful of people waiting in queue.
    This person on eBay must be thinking there is another signing event and early release? 



    Even better for the people selling these designer signed items....the designer has confirmed he won't be at the signing. lol
    I was trying to work out who the signature name is on the one in the image?
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,345
    Fireheart said:
    kizkiz said:
    Fireheart said:
    Adzbadboy said:
    Shib said:
    Adzbadboy said:
    How long would I have to wait at Leicester Square for the midnight signing? Anyone have any previous experience with long lines at LEGO events?
    your biggest problem for this will more likely be the Star Wars fans than the LEGO fans. The queues for the prelaunch Exo-suit signing at Bluewater was long but moved at a brisk pace. The added Star Wars fandom though could really make it a different experience.
    So I've heard, I'll make sure to get there extra early, hopefully the store staff make a pleasant experience such as limiting the number of guests entering the store at a time, they did it with 21310 - Old Fishing Store even though they barely had a line, it was only a handful of people waiting in queue.
    This person on eBay must be thinking there is another signing event and early release? 



    Even better for the people selling these designer signed items....the designer has confirmed he won't be at the signing. lol
    I was trying to work out who the signature name is on the one in the image?
    Couldn't they have all been signed before shipping out to stores?
    catwrangler
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,318
    Lego Germany has confirmed that the MF will also be available from "your usual Lego retailers". (via Promobricks)

    So 25% off when Galeria Kaufhof runs one of their usual promotions?
    datsunrobbie
  • bri4jennbri4jenn United StatesMember Posts: 86
    That's when my buddy had an idea: A MF Timeshare Co-Buy! Neither of us can afford $800, but maybe we could afford $400? Or if we found a third friend, $266.66? The idea is we could pool our money, buy it, build it together, and then each get an equal share of time to have it in our possession.

    Anyone ever done something like this before on a larger set?
    Yes, I've heard of people in a community don't something like this with a pressure sprayer.  Everyone bought a share of it and then could use it when needed.  As neighbors left they gave up their share.  The last one remaining owned it.
  • ateagueateague EnglandMember Posts: 171
    THat settles it then, i wont be making the trip to London after all. Will go to Cardiff instead
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 806
    Leeds store is receiving 8 and will only get new stock once a week
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,859
    ^^I think if I were to seriously consider doing some sort of a shared buy, that the terms would be laid out pretty clearly regarding buy out options and reselling. Though, that sort of seems like it would be sucking the fun out of an enjoyable experience. 

    ...though the feedback I've received has been less than encouraging to move forward with it...

    ***goes to check the market value of selling a kidney***
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,285
    @Fireheart - I think it's Jens Frederiksen's signature. He is mentioned by Hans in the comment on the homepage and designed #10179 Millennium Falcon, as well as almost every large D2C set prior to about 2010.
    Fireheart
  • MattymanMattyman LondonMember Posts: 27
    Interesting maths on this. Assuming they have 130 actual stores global, and restock each week for say 40 weeks in a given year and refill 8 each week, they would make £27m turnover. Let's easily double that for online, so they will make over 50m in one year on just one product. Pretty good!
  • JRLJRL UKMember Posts: 86
    Westminster parking restrictions are in effect Monday to Saturday, 0830 to 1830. You can park on single yellow lines for free outside those hours, and there are plenty of single yellow spaces all around the Lego store, so park for free and get your MF back to the car safe and sharpish - result. 
    omnium
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,419
    Mattyman said:
    Interesting maths on this. Assuming they have 130 actual stores global, and restock each week for say 40 weeks in a given year and refill 8 each week, they would make £27m turnover. Let's easily double that for online, so they will make over 50m in one year on just one product. Pretty good!
    If all 150 sets are sold at the LS launch the takings will be a little under £97,500.... Oof.
    HokieJoe99
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 617
    bri4jenn said:
    That's when my buddy had an idea: A MF Timeshare Co-Buy! Neither of us can afford $800, but maybe we could afford $400? Or if we found a third friend, $266.66? The idea is we could pool our money, buy it, build it together, and then each get an equal share of time to have it in our possession.

    Anyone ever done something like this before on a larger set?
    Yes, I've heard of people in a community don't something like this with a pressure sprayer.  Everyone bought a share of it and then could use it when needed.  As neighbors left they gave up their share.  The last one remaining owned it.
    It's a fine strategy for tools, not so much for collectibles in my opinion.  Friendships aren't going to be ruined over a shovel or weed tiller. Over an $800 collectible?  Count on it! 
    FollowsCloselycatwrangler
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 617
    http://movieweb.com/han-solo-movie-new-millennium-falcon/

    Source material for the re-re-release? 

     



    FollowsCloselyTyresOFlaherty
  • ateagueateague EnglandMember Posts: 171
    edited September 2017
    Am being told by Cardiff Lego store to shop online to avoid disappointment on release day in store. They have had a lot of enquiries, this doesn't mean everyone which enquiried will turn up but still...
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    Has no one seen the "three men and a comic book" episode of The Simpson's?  Shared purchases never work. 
    Gooker1
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 521
    bri4jenn said:
    That's when my buddy had an idea: A MF Timeshare Co-Buy! Neither of us can afford $800, but maybe we could afford $400? Or if we found a third friend, $266.66? The idea is we could pool our money, buy it, build it together, and then each get an equal share of time to have it in our possession.

    Anyone ever done something like this before on a larger set?
    Yes, I've heard of people in a community don't something like this with a pressure sprayer.  Everyone bought a share of it and then could use it when needed.  As neighbors left they gave up their share.  The last one remaining owned it.
    It's a fine strategy for tools, not so much for collectibles in my opinion.  Friendships aren't going to be ruined over a shovel or weed tiller. Over an $800 collectible?  Count on it! 
    Yeah, if the value on this one were to rise to over $4K, things would get tricky.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,562
    stlux said:
    Lego Germany has confirmed that the MF will also be available from "your usual Lego retailers". (via Promobricks)

    So 25% off when Galeria Kaufhof runs one of their usual promotions?
    Very happy to hear it will be available from other retailers, as that increases the odds that I'll find one at the thrift store in a couple of years.
  • YeeYee USAMember Posts: 18
    Just called my local Lego store. Manager said that they wouldn't have enough stock to meet demand for sure but they'll be giving a coupon for free expedited shipping if they run out. This was the Mall of America store so not sure about others. 
    TyresOFlaherty
Sign In or Register to comment.

Shopping at LEGO.com or Amazon?

Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon

Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brickset.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Programme, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.