Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

UCS falcon rumours (that turned out to be true!)

Comments

• BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,308
    Any word on whether this is likely to be a limited / short production run, or is this going to be around for a couple of years do we think?

Wonder what Lego's mark up is on each set?
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    Any word on whether this is likely to be a limited / short production run, or is this going to be around for a couple of years do we think?

Wonder what Lego's mark up is on each set?
    I feel like Lego is going to take this like an Ideas set. Do the first run and see how sales are, obviously it will sell out so the second run is the real tell all. If the second run does very well, this set may sit on the shelves for some time. The sales of this set may also lead to whether we see more very large sets like this in the forseeable future. If the sales do well, we may just see a 10,000+ piece set in the next couple years.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,626
    UCS Millennium Falcon Comparison
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,903
    So I'm the AFOL and the wife over here does that mean I've got absolute power over whether to buy this or not?

- answer: it actually does but not sure that's a good thing because it means I have to be the sensible one.

I really think it looks stunning, but severely lacking in minifigures. Don't own the old one but love the detail like the hallways, the greebling. And a Mynoc :) 

Not going to buy it though, unless money situation changes in the next couple of years and it's still available then. I know compared to how much older ones were going for the price isn't that bad but it's almost a months mortgage and so many other cool sets to get.

Still, I think it looks great and fun for those of you who can afford it and don't have the old one.

I was so excited after watching the designer video though and am glad I didn't peak at pictures before the official reveal. Enjoyed this thread as well. Thanks!
    bandit778M_BosswardmraygunnKlintanYeeOnebricktoomanyLordmoralsid3windr
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    That didn't take long!
    Lordmoral
  • BartelasBartelas Hiking Into Mordor Member Posts: 130
    Guys, as this thread is nearing its end, we should open a new one: "UCS LEPIN FALCON RUMORS"
    waynlewisTheBrickPalprevereOrmskirkBricksKingDaveLordmoral
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,867
    fake......... if them had any it wold have leeked faster.
    there all fake looking to scam people. if some one had got there hands on some to sell  now... then thay would have poped up well over a week ago people who clam to have them now dont give a cow about selling before press statement. not one  of them show a non lego made image of the set.
  • bulbathorbulbathor UKMember Posts: 47
    I assume they're not fake as such, just people intending to buy & sell straight away
    FollowsClosely
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,656
    @chrisalddin - they won't be fake: most have 'pre-order' in the title. The ones that don't will have 'available after September 14th' in the description. They plan on buying it as soon as it's released and then sending it on to the eventual customer, and will say "sorry, not available" if it goes OOS before they get it. But they probably have lots of minions each with their own VIP account to get hold of 10-20 or whatever.
    MaffyD said:
    @chrisalddin - they won't be fake: most have 'pre-order' in the title. The ones that don't will have 'available after September 14th' in the description. They plan on buying it as soon as it's released and then sending it on to the eventual customer, and will say "sorry, not available" if it goes OOS before they get it. But they probably have lots of minions each with their own VIP account to get hold of 10-20 or whatever.
    ok. but it's still a scam. *points at price.*
    bulbathor
  • ScatterbugScatterbug WalesMember Posts: 109
    MaffyD said:
    ok. but it's still a scam. *points at price.*
    No it's not. They are selling a pre-order. They can ask what they like. But only a fool would pay those prices.
    Bengh_Zeranpharmjod
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 402
    Serious question: why will this thread be closed? Can't we just rename it UCS Falcon and keep rockin' along?
    SumoLegoBartelas
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    The mods can change the title
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,149
    SMC said: CT
    In MK now and you can touch it:
    Can you pick it up. And drop it.
    Rainstorm26M_BossTheBrickPalCM4Sbobabrickssid3windr
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,771
    edited September 2017
    ^^ You can open it up and pick it up but when I tried to open the canopy was told it might be glued. Was trying to work out if there was a whole into the hallway as it looked like there was. So if you drop it you might look silly as its glued together.
    Bartelas
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 402
    Also, I talked to a lego store employee yesterday and she was playing coy about the MF and acting like she didn't know what I was asking about, so I said "is it hard to do that when Lego has already posted it on twitter and Instagram? She said "yeah." I laughed. After that she dropped the facade and started telling me about it. She was in charge of setting it up in the store and mentioned how she was worried about moving it. I stupidly asked "is it that big?" she just said "dude". "Yes" 

omniumTheBrickPalKlintanGoldchains
    edited September 2017
    lol title change:

UCS falcon rumours (that turned out to be true!)
    kbwBengh_ZeranTheBrickPalGoldchainsYee
  • robertleylandrobertleyland CumbriaMember Posts: 18
    SMC said:
    The real thing is less blurry in real life and touching it is like touching a boob for the first time expect more bumpy.
    Gotta be a contender for best comment in this thread so far!
    gmonkey76YeeOnebricktoomany
    edited September 2017
    ^ Does the winner get a falcon?

Speaking of bumpy, I'm off to build BB8.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,807
    I might buy this and then see what happens if you throw it in a wood chipper.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,005
    edited September 2017
    SMC said:

The real thing is less blurry in real life and touching it is like touching a boob for the first time expect more bumpy.
    What? you mean it shouts "what do you think your doing" and slaps you round the head?

These new Lego sets really are good. :)
    BumblepantssnowhitieSMCSumoLegogmonkey76YodaliciousGoldchainsOnebricktoomany
  • robertleylandrobertleyland CumbriaMember Posts: 18
    I might buy this and then see what happens if you throw it in a wood chipper.
    Probably ABS poisoning from all the dust?
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,375
    But will it fit under a hydraulic press?
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 331
    Having seen it in person yesterday, it is way bigger than it looks in pictures, if that tells you anything about its size. I have to admit, we were blown away by it.  Is it an $800 set? That's for you to decide.  With my employee discount? No question. Just gotta get it past my wife. Will go the display coffee table route to house it since my shelves are full. 
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 252
    So can we actually buy it today or is it the 14th we can buy it?
  • Bengh_ZeranBengh_Zeran NetherlandsMember Posts: 38
    edited September 2017
    For anyone still hesitating to buy this, because of the price tag or being afraid of having to live in exile I ask you:

"How come, 20 years ago, nobody ever made a fuss out of paying a RRP of 120-140 buck for a less than 300 parts LEGO set?"

Answer: Because it was awesome and it looked gigantic in 1997!

(Price per part ratio? What do you mean? Who cares, it's a cool spaceship!!)

catwrangler
    edited September 2017
    For anyone still hesitating to buy this, because of the price tag or being afraid of having to live in exile I ask you:

"How come, 20 years ago, nobody ever made a fuss out of paying a RRP of 120-140 buck for a less than 300 parts LEGO set?"

Answer: Because it was awesome and it looked gigantic in 1997!

(Price per part ratio? What do you mean? Who cares, it's a cool spaceship!!)

i own that ( #6979 ) got it on sale. for what was it? £25? £30? about that and btw that set RRP is $80 going by brickset. i dont know what shop you got it from but that shop had one hell of a mark up on it.
    also it's a bloody awesome Set.
    omnium
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 252
    Even as a kid, l thought those UFOs looked lame. l never liked the GIANT parts.
    A.Brickovsky
    leetshoe said:
    but but it has fiber-optics. and a saucer separation. and you can swosh it.
    swosh it around Man! Swosh IT! and you got to see it in the dark man....
    Bengh_Zerancatwrangler
    edited September 2017
    ^^^ The point of course was -no matter the RRP per country- the PPP ratio was way higher! ;-) (even if you got bigger pieces, electrics etc..)
    Yee
    TheFew said:
    My wife does not seem bothered if I buy it. Seems suspicious....

... it's a TRAP!

BartelasYodaliciouscatwranglerTheFewYee
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,626
    edited September 2017
    {Insert UCS MF Meme Here...The Sequel)

https://www.facebook.com/DevidVII/posts/2201474393439716
    Bengh_Zeran
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 806
    gonna buy 2 the missus will be there to wheel the other to the car. as for building all bags will be emptied into one pile mixed up a bit too!
    robertleylandLobot
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 331
    The new one blows the original clear out of the water in my opinion. Seeing those side-by-side images just reinforced that. And the reuse of boat rigging and a very similar sensor dish makes it easier to Bricklink 10179 if that is a must-have. Now, can we get 1x2 grooved bricks in Sand Green again?
    FollowsCloselyRsa33snowhitie
  • steveomclsteveomcl Member Posts: 189
    13 days!
    Yee
  • andywilsonandywilson UKMember Posts: 61
    I liked the coffee table idea posted yesterday (?) until I saw the real thing in Brighton today - it's -erm- flipping humungous! Put some legs on it and you could use it AS the coffee table!
    snowhitieYee
  • CoviCovi BelgiumMember Posts: 295
    Yeah, saw it also today in store...the pictures and movie do no justice to it...it's really BIG.
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 791
    I was in the Westfield London store at lunchtime. They said they have the new Falcon in a shipping crate and will have it out tomorrow for display.
    I bought a BB8 while I was there, of course ;)
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,823
    leetshoe said:

I thought they looked awesome as a kid, especially 6975 Alien Avenger. It was one of the first flying saucer sets that really matched the iconic image I'd grown up with, and I swear it was on my Christmas list for two years straight. When I got it, though, it didn't hold my attention long. Maybe it just wasn't as exciting as previous favorite themes of mine like Aquazone were, maybe I was at a fickle age, or maybe I was just getting to the age where I needed something more challenging like Technic to really hold my interest, but UFO stands out to me as one of those themes that was cooler to me in concept than in execution. Which was something of a trend among late 90s themes.

I don't think it's a bad thing that people's standards are higher today than in the 90s, but I agree that price per piece can be a misleading value metric especially among sets that use a lot of bigger pieces. Do we know how much the new Falcon actually weighs compared to other Star Wars sets? That could better tell us how much volume of bricks it has.
    BumblepantscatwranglerLyichir
  • nwr122nwr122 GlasgowMember Posts: 126
    So when are we going to see a review @Huw, @CapnRex101, @drdavewatford?
    Yee
  • BartelasBartelas Hiking Into Mordor Member Posts: 130
    edited September 2017
    Aanchir said:

I don't think it's a bad thing that people's standards are higher today than in the 90s, but I agree that price per piece can be a misleading value metric especially among sets that use a lot of bigger pieces. Do we know how much the new Falcon actually weighs compared to other Star Wars sets? That could better tell us how much volume of bricks it has.
    It's around 15kg (confirmed by a LEGO store employee)
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,511
    edited September 2017
    I think @drdavewatford should do a live-build of it at Bricktastic next year. That should keep him busy for the two days! What do you think @SirKevbags? ;)
    stluxdrdavewatfordShibsnowhitie
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^ only if all bags are emptied in one enormous pile.
    PaperballparkstluxFollowsCloselySumoLego
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    $1299 AUD = 795 Quid or $1030 Freedom dollars.  Ouch!
    Johnyk668
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 596
    It's spectacular!  Although I will say, they had the empty box on a store shelf, and it looked smaller than I expected.