Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Re-Sealing Boxes

Brewer51Brewer51 Member Posts: 248
edited February 2012 in Collecting
I'm moving into a new place soon, and I want to store my current collection in my parent's loft. I like keeping my original boxes, but obviously they're all opened, and if I leave them in the loft chances are that things will go missing. All the pieces are in ziplock bags, but that still doesn't necessarily mean they wont fall out whilst dad's fumbling about in the loft and moving things.

Anyway, I wanted to reseal the boxes but I'm unsure of the best way to do it without any long term damage. I thought of using brown sticky tape, but surely when I come to take it off again it'll perhaps take off some of the box design with it.

Just wanted your thoughts on how best to preserve original boxes?

Comments

• The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    What I do is just push the open end against the wall. No damage is done, and when you need it, you just take it out. If the boxes are filled with the LEGO Ziploc bags, it will be even easier.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    You can use office tape. When your taking it off, go very slowly.
  • Brewer51Brewer51 Member Posts: 248
    The wall thing isn't really an option - the way the loft is built means there is only actually one wall that is accessible, and it's filled with stuff already. But I will give the office tape a go. Thanks!
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,769
    My opened boxes are for keeps and not for resale - ever! A such, I was happy enough to carefully apply small velcro 'coins' inside the flaps so that once closed they wouldn't op back open.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Velcro-Stick-Coins-16mm-Sets/dp/B0013DQUB6/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_0_2
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    You could use string and tie it like a package.
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    Just get some larger cardboard boxes and pack the Lego boxes in carefully, Tetris style to minimise the gaps. I find packaging boxes that removal companies supply ideal. Then seal the large boxes and mark them clearly with the contents on the outside, preferrably with DO NOT TOUCH written clearly on it.

That way your parents won't give your Lego to any visiting kids when you are away from home, like mine did :(
  • Brewer51Brewer51 Member Posts: 248
    Ahhh all good ideas thanks guys! I'm not resealing them for resale purposes (I doubt I'll ever sell a lego set now I've started collecting), but purely for preservation purposes.

Coachie: I like the idea of packaging them in bigger boxes. And I feel your pain! I have a 4 year old brother, and when I lived at home a couple of years ago I had two lego sets on display (7661 and 7991, I think). Anyway I came back one weekend and half the pieces were missing from both because they'd gave them to him! Had to root around bricklink and get some extra parts in.
  • Stu83Stu83 Member Posts: 9
    IIRC book repair tape is not as aggressively sticky as other adhesive tapes. I'm not certain that it wouldn't damage the box surface, but it could be worth an experiment.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    I just put a small strip of tape over the original seals (no wider than the seals so it doesn't get on the cardboard). Seems to work ok.
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    I just put a small strip of tape over the original seals (no wider than the seals so it doesn't get on the cardboard). Seems to work ok.
    That just makes too much sense.
  • cmrt1014cmrt1014 Member Posts: 396
    To piggy back on the velcro dots idea: The hardware store near me sells rolls of 1/2" velcro - I have some green from around the holidays that's on the thin side, but holds well - and you could use strips to "tie up" the boxes like a package. The hold isn't as strong as some other I've used, but strong enough to hold up garlands and holiday lights. Just an idea.....
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 565
    Yeah, I've been doing what @lulwut suggested for years, since, aside from a few notable exceptions, I have kept every single box for each Lego set I own. When I moved back in high school, I merely put all the ziploc bags of pieces back in the respective boxes, and then applied the tape. Presto! With my recent acquisitions that I only open to inspect, not build (yet), I am careful to leave half of the original tape on, and then re-seal the box with it. It's quite resilient, and even if it flakes off, it's OK because everything inside is still in factory-sealed bags.
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    Depending on the box type you could try some double sided tape on the inside flap