Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Savage_Steel: Just out of the dark ages

MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
edited May 2011 in Introduce yourself
Hello all,

I loved lego as a kid, although we didn't have much, somehow we managed to make endless towns with 2 large base plates and a few bricks...luckily my parent's kept it so I recently got to relive the memories with my sister :)

My nephew is 5 and is very into lego, which is awesome, he's my excuse for buying it now.

I got the Winter Toy Shop for hubby for Christmas, and so loved it so much, I've now become an addict!

I'm trying to resist buying too many new lego sets (though I so want the trains!!) Instead I started with some cheap little sets of ebay, and then I bought two 10 kilo sets from local sellers for around £50 each and have had so much fun sorting all the pieces and figuring out what sets are in there! I think I prefer that to new sets, the excitement of the mysterious :)

One set was brilliant, it was all unsorted, but they'd hardly lost a piece, the other set was a bit more haphazard, but it does contain a Black Knights castle :-) Very few plumes, but really the lego is to be played with, and I figure it can't lose any value now, so I don't have to be precious about it.

I'm trying to justify the costs by saying I'll sell the complete sets I don't want once I've put them together and got the missing pieces (thanks bricklink) Sadly I don't want to get rid of any!!

I'd really like to get the trains, and the 30% off on amazon is so tempting, do you think these prices will be matched later?? Or should I go for it?

Comments

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,289
    Welcome back to LEGO and welcome to the Brickset forum!

It sounds like you are in the UK, and since I'm in the US, I'm not familiar with which train sets are 30% off. However the discount does seem about as good as you can hope for, so if you've decided you'll get the sets, I think it'd be too risky to hope something better comes along for a small amount of additional savings.

Here is a recent discussion about the merits of the various train sets available right now:
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/301/train-sets/p1
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Thanks for the welcome! I suspect being on here means I'll be spending lots of money.

The emerald night is such a beautiful set, I'm wondering whether to get 2 and sell one later to try and recuperate costs? If it's going to be discontinued I'll kick myself if I miss it!
    My hubby is somewhat supportive, but not at these prices, a little bit here and there is fine, but £70-150 sets are not on the agenda really...Or do I just get them and hide them for now (maybe get him to give them me next christmas, though I suspect by then I'll have built a long list of things I'll want!)

Sorry, I'm mostly talking to myself trying to justify it all. We're not skint, it's more that it seems a lot of money to spend on "toys"

The cargo train also looks great.
    We do have the toy story train as that was only £35 so it seemed rude not to!

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,463
    ^^ @rocao - 7938 (Passenger Train) and 7939 (Cargo Train) are currently 33% at amazon.co.uk. Not that that's much use to you of course....

;-)
  • beets665beets665 Member Posts: 106
    i know how you feel with putting lego down for a few years then picking it up again i am in the same boat

but the amazon deals do seem really good i have just ordered the hogwarts express i just could'nt say no, with the lego only sets i would get them while you can cause i have found out once there gone thats it you better break out the big bucks

i ordered a few from lego and i have found out they are some of the best sets really i just wish i had the money for more
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    One thing that got mentioned in another thread is that when you first come out of your dark ages you'll be more tempted to buy more Lego because you're just coming back into it. The spending apparently tapers off a bit after a few years. Also, Lego seems to hold its value. So if you need to sell it later, you're likely not to lose too much on it. In fact there is a very good chance you can make money. I wouldn't recommend hiding your hobby from your significant other, but there are some people on here that find not disclosing the full extent of their purchasing habits to their loved ones works for them. At least that is the impression I get.
    Thanks guys, I'm not intending to hide stuff from him (though the temptation to add the train station to my order and not mention it is strong!)

Got to get on with the ebaying, then I can buy fun stuff :-)

I built 3409 (championship football pitch) yesterday with my nephew, awesome little set for playability, and gonna look great in my city one day (once I've got more than one house to put in it!)
  • TalasAntaresTalasAntares Member Posts: 124
    Welcome aboard! You'll find Brickset to be a really nice bunch of AFOL's...and the tips and such that you'll see will wind up costing you lots of money! I never realized just how many Lego sales there are at various locations until I started watching this forum! LOL
    ^ saving and costing at the same time :P
    @huw or @rocao or any other admins/mods - would you please help me change my profile/user name on the main site? I'm on there as chocolatecat, but it would be much easier if it was Savage_Steel as well. I've changed the name on my profile, but it doesn't seem to change it for login/search purposes.
    Thanks in advance!
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited July 2011
    ^ I've taken a look, but it looks like it'll require a manual edit of the user database; Huw's the only one that has the system privileges to do that.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,667
    Yes, I can do that, I'll do so later.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,667
    Done -- password and associated email address remain the same.
    You've accumulated quite a few sets, particularly older ones, in just half a year!
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,144
    Welcome "back to the light".... Savage_Steel...

I've forgotten what it's like coming out of the Dark Ages... sigh.... 1/3 of a century ago... :-( Actually that shouldn't be a frown... when I think of all the happy years... ;-)

FYI... the record for longest Dark Ages that I'm aware of is of a Portuguese collector acquaintance... he went into his dark ages in 1959.... and came out in 2006... a record of 47 years!

ha ha, it's quite funny to read this again. :-)

My LEGO spending has indeed got a bit out of control since I said hello on here. You lot are definitely a bad influence! I now can't seem to go a day with out buying LEGO (really! eek!)

But I'm very happy with my choices. I've found I am capable of selling sets (all my Space sets just went in one fell swoop to akinstar) and I'm slowly building up my bricklink store with rarer bricks and sets that I just can't appreciate enough, and I'd rather have new sets or more town/city focused ones.
    I'm still fond of sorting out large bulk buys, which is why I have so many old sets. But the joy of a new box, plastic bags and fresh instructions is comparable.

33 years of collecting at this rate would take over half of Sheffield, never mind my small home. I must keep selling (and buying!!)

PS so glad to have found bricklink when I did. I'm pleased not to be alone in the craziness ;-)
    Also, I wanted to day I rarely buy a new set with less than 30% off, unless it's a LEGO exclusive.
    And almost anything with 50% off gets bought, whether I *need* it or not :)
  • melissacurranmelissacurran Member Posts: 15
    How do you manage to find sets with such a huge discount?
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,463
    ^ Amazon.co.uk is your friend. Check it often....

:-)