Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

UCS falcon rumours (that turned out to be true!)

Comments

• monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,812
    edited August 2017
    If the freebie (if any) is good enough, it'll be a day 1 purchase for me (no way this can be more than £600, surely?).
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    Mods @drdavewatford @Huw please edit the above post
    SumoLegoBumblepantsTyresOFlaherty
    Obviously as a D2C set it will initially only be available from Lego themselves, but once that initial period has passed I wonder how money retailers will want to stock it if the retail price is as high as expected. I'm sure the buyers for the big stores will be a bit twitchy over this one as very few casual customers would be willing to part with that amount of cash for a Lego set.
  • blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 598
    If it stays in stock long enough I'll probably be getting it the first week it's out. Assuming it is what we believe it to be.
  • willp2003willp2003 Member Posts: 86
    I'll be ordering one asap. Don't have a store near me, so will just use [email protected] Have booked a week off work to take delivery and start building it. 
  • ateagueateague EnglandMember Posts: 171
    Day one for me. May even take the day off and get down the local 
  • BartelasBartelas Hiking Into Mordor Member Posts: 130
    Shit... I've just realized that the falcon-hype made us forget the 2k comments celebration party :/
    CM4S
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 222
    edited August 2017
    I'm going to wait for double VIP points then get it. Assuming estimates of around €800 are accurate that means €80 worth of points!
    waynlewisgmonkey76
  • CrzypenguCrzypengu United StatesMember Posts: 77
    This is definitely a VIP Day 1 purchase for me as long as the exterior is detailed and its minifigure scale or close to.
  • MrKettleMrKettle OxfordshireMember Posts: 136
    If you use sone VIP points to out towards the cost of it, do you then get the VIP points for the remaining cash value you spent on it?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,325
    woony2 said:
    Obviously as a D2C set it will initially only be available from Lego themselves, but once that initial period has passed I wonder how money retailers will want to stock it if the retail price is as high as expected. I'm sure the buyers for the big stores will be a bit twitchy over this one as very few casual customers would be willing to part with that amount of cash for a Lego set.
    Meh, Death Star 1.0 was also thought of as 'too expensive' yet they had them at retailer sites.
    SumoLego
    Yes but this is rumoured to be over 2.5 times the price of the original death star. Don't get me wrong it will sell to hardcore Lego fans but even within this community people are saying it is just too much, so for the general public it will be a hard sell. There has to be a ceiling for everything, even statement products such as this.
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,472
    I expect they will sell 1000 quite quickly to hard core AFOL, but then it will take years to sell the next 9000. 
    The Disney Castle has sold to just over 3400 here on Brickset in about a year and about the same number of people still want it. I would guess about the same or maybe twice that number of parents bought it or still want it for their family.
    So there is a market for very big sets. TLG generally know what they are doing.
    SumoLegoOnebricktoomanygmonkey76catwrangler
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,415
    I suspect they will sell a lot to people who aren't normally Lego fans, but who would love a huge detailed model of the Falcon. There are easily more than 1000 AFOLs who will buy it, then you'll have Star Wars fans and those who like both. There will be a market for it - even at £600/$800.
    Lobotbandit778
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 938
    Venunder said:
    I expect they will sell 1000 quite quickly to hard core AFOL, but then it will take years to sell the next 9000. 
    The Disney Castle has sold to just over 3400 here on Brickset in about a year and about the same number of people still want it. I would guess about the same or maybe twice that number of parents bought it or still want it for their family.

I don't feel that Brickset ownership figures can be relied upon for this sort of argument, as they'll only relate to a very limited specific demographic (e.g. i) AFOLs who are Brickset members and ii) store their collections on it).  For example, I fall into the first category, but not the second! 

If you look at the stats for #10179, Brickset shows 3,500 owned, but there's 10,000 Limited Editions, plus whatever they sold between 2007-10.  I don't know what the final total was, but the lifespan was during a period when LEGO wasn't as popular, and they weren't enjoying the current levels of sales growth.  I'd guess if there's another 'First Edition' of 10,000 they'd sell out in a fortnight, possibly less even if it's priced at £650 or so. 

There's a massive market for all things Star Wars, especially rare or collectible; just take a look at the sales on Ebay for Blue Snaggletooths, VC Jawas, DT Lukes, Last 17 etc!  A lot of Star Wars fans are in their 40s, and have serious disposable income, and if LEGO release something truly exceptional they'll sell very well indeed.  The timing is also perfect; coinciding with the 40th anniversary of Episode IV, plus Episode VIII.

And, there's also the 'resellers' to factor into this; #41999 sold 20,000 very quickly and that was for a Technic set...

bandit778ecmo47SumoLegoJern92dougts
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,874
    edited August 2017
    #41999 was also $200. This is 4x that. Price is going to limit this one. They will still sell plenty, but I guarantee they sell more $150 falcons than they do $800 ones.

I turn 40 this year and have more disposable income and still think $800 is really to much to spend on one LEGO set. And I have no idea where I would display it. Those are the exact same arguments I had when the first came out. LEGO is banking on people "not missing out" like they did the first time.
    bandit778madforLEGOryjaydspigel
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,749
    That's the spirit! :D
    A.Brickovsky
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 699
    I WISH i had turning 40 ahead of me :-(
    FollowsCloselygmonkey76Johnyk668mustang69Mr_Crosspvp3020
  • SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 750
    I will only be getting it straight away if there is a limited edition first run. Otherwise, I will wait a few months until double VIP points or better is available.
    gmonkey76M_Bossnwr122AdzbadboyMr_Cross
  • willp2003willp2003 Member Posts: 86
     I turn 40 in two years, have more disposable income, and I have no idea where I would display it.

I'm still going to get it.
    This is exactly the same as me! Great minds think alike!
  • dutchlegofan50dutchlegofan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 189
    Wish I was as young as 38 or 40 instead of 55. I rather had the body and looks of a 40 year old with no income AND a lovely partner than what I have now:  $100 in my pocket but alone in Lego City. Only Police and Fire Stations around here. No sign of a brothel.
    Mosdvs
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,283
    /starts wondering if anyone has ever included a brothel in any of those huge city layouts

At least the i-Brix Kickstarter will make it easier to put a red light in the window...
    bandit778omniumgmonkey76khmellymel
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,283
    :oD

From your private collection, @bandit778 ?
    bandit778Bartelasgmonkey76kezHanzo
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    If had to choose (and I do) between Ninjago City, Old Fishing Store, Ship in a Bottle and a TON of other sets for $800 vs. a new UCS Falcon, I gotta go with a plethora of sets. 
    bandit778madforLEGOcatwranglerpharmjodHanzoYodalicioussid3windr
  • BartelasBartelas Hiking Into Mordor Member Posts: 130
    bandit778 said:
    @BooTheMightyHamster
    Be careful what you wish for. 

Haha now that's the set that will put me in ruin ;{)
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,933
    XD

Sadly I haven't got the sort of imagination needed to come up with that sort of thing whilst building (following instructions is difficult enough).
    Bartelas
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 699
    Thank god i dont have the building abilities to create what rattles between my ears..
    dmcc0Yodalicious
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,325

prevere said:
    If had to choose (and I do) between Ninjago City, Old Fishing Store, Ship in a Bottle and a TON of other sets for $800 vs. a new UCS Falcon, I gotta go with a plethora of sets. 

Yeah, as much as I would love to buy one, purely for investment purposes, two things really stop me:
    1) Too many other sets that I could be spending money on
    2) This set will probably me out for as long as the DS 2.0 and likely will see resellers have stocks of these sitting in their stores.. ohh, I mean 'storage areas'.

Now, because of two, if LEGO ever has a slow year (for me) and I have the funds to buy one? Maybe Ill get one, but at the end of the day I do not collect SW anymore, and have too many other themes I buy in.
    prevereYodalicious
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 701
     Yeah, as much as I would love to buy one, purely for investment purposes

I'm the opposite. As much as I would love to build one, there's no way I can justify the price that's being threatened for this set. I treat myself to one big set every couple of years (by big I mean £100 - £150) and I just bought the Saturn V in July.
    700 quid is insane.
    Legopantscatwrangler
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,874
    prevere said:
    Now you've got me remembering the plethora scene from The Three Amigos again. =)
    gmonkey76prevere
    bandit778 said:
    @BooTheMightyHamster
    Be careful what you wish for. 

"Honey, there's a new Lego ideas set being released..."
    Hanzobandit778Yodalicious
  • C0chiseC0chise TennesseeMember Posts: 47
    I have the money set aside for a day one purchase but the more I think about spending $800 on Lego, the less excited I become. Hopefully the reveal will wow me...
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    /starts wondering if anyone has ever included a brothel in any of those huge city layouts

At least the i-Brix Kickstarter will make it easier to put a red light in the window...
    Citizen Brick has that covered...

HanzoSeanTheCollectorBengh_Zeran
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,844
    Those bills look fake to me.  
    CM4SbobabricksPitfall69gmonkey76HanzoYodaliciousmadforLEGOBengh_Zeransid3windr
  • waynlewiswaynlewis USAMember Posts: 85
    ^ Lepin bills..
    SumoLegoCM4Sgmonkey76madforLEGOBengh_Zeran
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 901
    I`ve mentioned this set to my wife, and she said she would be infuriated if I bought a UCS Falcon. She`s very tolerant of my Lego addiction but I think that price of the Falcon (not to mention where we would display it) is too much. With two young kids, I definitely agree.

The only thing against the argument is that we don`t really think about the overall cost of the Lego sets that I buy throughout the year, which would far exceed the cost of the Falcon. I could go without those sets and save for the Falcon. But somehow, spending that amount on one set seems difficult in our minds....I suppose for the cost we can enjoy lots of different sets, not just something for display and limited appeal (to my wife!). She likes the modulars, the fairground sets, winter village because they look good on display.

Still I`ll be following this thread and the teaser images closely and can dream. 
    Johnyk668CM4SLuLegobobabrickscatwranglerpharmjodFollowsCloselyGoldchainssnowhitie
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,359
    Assuming this is a falcon and is, in fact - 'All New' then i suspect my wife and kids are planning to get one of these as a combo birthday/christmas gift (a few hints have come out recently and my wife has even asked about 'news' twice in the last week or so - which is very rare, she is not a big Lego fan... Although, this in reality means the kids (the older ones at any rate) will want to crack it open and help build, which is fine and part of the fun.

Can't wait to see the next reveal and fingers crossed this really is a new ship design or there will be some major disappointment...
    catwranglerOnebricktoomany
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,688

pharmjod said:

I turn 40 this year and have more disposable income and still think $800 is really to much to spend on one LEGO set. And I have no idea where I would display it. Those are the exact same arguments I had when the first came out. LEGO is banking on people "not missing out" like they did the first time.

msanders said:
    I`ve mentioned this set to my wife, and she said she would be infuriated if I bought a UCS Falcon. She`s very tolerant of my Lego addiction but I think that price of the Falcon (not to mention where we would display it) is too much.
    It's funny isn't it. It seems fine to spends £1000s / $1000s on lego if buying lots of smaller sets, but not $800 or so on one big one.

Same with art, do you spend a significant sum on one really nice centrepiece that really needs little else around it, or double that on loads of OK pieces to fill an entire wall?
    AdzbadboycatwranglerYodaliciouswaynlewis
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,621
    Depending what those other sets are I'd take a larger set any day over several smaller sets. Those 'smaller' sets would have to be D2C and LEGO Ideas products to be really compeating with that larger more expensive set. If the first run does indeed have a special reward then I'd be going for that larger one instantly.
    I reckon the cost of it is probably about what I would normally spend on Lego sets for a year.

What I spend on Lego as a whole, on the other hand, is an entirely different matter!
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 901
    What I officially spend on Lego (what the wife sees), this set does seem very expensive in one go. However, what I unofficially spend (the sets I sneak into my collection past my wife) is much more than the Falcon. I'm sure my wife would have a heart attack if we truly counted up the money spent on Lego (and probably I would as well). Best not to think about it! I'm Happy with the lego that I can buy and not too bothered bout missing this one........yet!
    A.BrickovskyLuLegodmcc0
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,759
    I am thinning out my Star Wars collection to get room and money for this. I would rather have a handful of amazing sets/favorite figures than a lot of ordinary ones. It was with great reluctance I sold off my Republic Gunship a couple weeks ago. 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,688
    So maybe they need a modular version of the UCS Falcon, one you can buy in a bag at a time to help sneak it in. What premium would people be willing to pay for that ...? :-)

Mr_CrosspharmjodPeteMYodaliciouscatwranglernexander
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 701
    CCC said:

pharmjod said:

msanders said:
    I`ve mentioned this set to my wife, and she said she would be infuriated if I bought a UCS Falcon. She`s very tolerant of my Lego addiction but I think that price of the Falcon (not to mention where we would display it) is too much.
    It's funny isn't it. It seems fine to spends £1000s / $1000s on lego if buying lots of smaller sets, but not $800 or so on one big one.

Same with art, do you spend a significant sum on one really nice centrepiece that really needs little else around it, or double that on loads of OK pieces to fill an entire wall?
    Buying a £20 or £30 set as a little present to yourself once in a while instead of going out to lunch or something is one thing. Spending £700 on plastic bricks is another. There is so much more you can do with that sort of money. That's the equivalent of a family holiday, or even a (cheap) second hand car.
    LuLegodutchlegofan50catwranglersnowhitie
  • Matt89190Matt89190 UKMember Posts: 281
    I am thinning out my Star Wars collection to get room and money for this. I would rather have a handful of amazing sets/favorite figures than a lot of ordinary ones. It was with great reluctance I sold off my Republic Gunship a couple weeks ago. 
    That is a tale of true sacrifice - #7676 was the set of my childhood. I still regret not picking up the 2013 version.
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 990
    ^ I'VE GOT A GREAT IDEA!!
    Rather than release it in one box, they should do a magazine with like £10 worth of parts each month, charge £2 for the first one to reel the suckers in, then charge £14.99 for each of 80 proposed issues but then somewhere around issue 27 just cancel it for no apparent reason...
    ...oh hang on!
    dutchlegofan50Johnyk668catwranglersid3windrsnowhitie