Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Classic Space Monorail

2»

Comments

• GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 255
    I love what you've done with the neon sign.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,945
    drdesignz said:
    I also have another monorail train.  Built using only the chassis parts from Airport Shuttle and the M:Tron theme. All original pieces from 1990-1991.

An M-Tronorail.  Very nice!  

(I'd be doing a Blacktronorail and a Futurail as well.)
    Bumblepants
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,356
    Blacktronorail is something I have been meaning to do (on my list of stuff to build). #6990 is the futuron monorail.
  • drdesignzdrdesignz USMember Posts: 104
    Funny you should mention that...

madforLEGOBumblepantsSumoLegochuckpcatwranglerGalactuspxchris
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    What's your plan for covering the motor though?
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    Forgive me if it sounds like advertising, but 4D Brix make a black motor cover (though with studs pretty much everywhere). 

Alternatively the motor will have 4 studs free on the opposite end to the power lead - you could use panels etc. and attach them to those.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,356
    What's your plan for covering the motor though?
    You still have studs on top of the motor, I was just going to use a plate with some panels or brick.
    I am struggling a bit with this, yes.  I do have a plate-built cover now, but it's huge, studded all five sides, and still shows some white on the bottom.  It does not fit well with Blacktron's otherwise sleek design.  I've actually considered using plasti-dip on the white plastic.  I think that could still be considered purist, because it's essentially just a rubber coating that can peal off.  There is no permanent change to any Lego part.  And since stickers are a very common inclusion in sets.  This is not too dissimilar in concept.  I'm adding to, not modifying, Lego.  Like the lights and decals in the movie theater on the previous page.  I think that's okay.  There is no glue, string, or anything else.  Especially no third-party pieces.  For the monorail, I appreciate the products 4DBrix offers, all things considered.  But I'm not sure I'd go that route.  I've never purchased a third-party product before.  The theater is actually the first project I've done that wasn't strictly 100% purist. 
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,002
    This is all fantastic stuff, love my 6990 monorail and I've always wanted to do a classic space livery for it. Would really like to expand my track too, but prices are now so out of my budget I doubt I'll ever do it!
    I honestly don't see a problem with a little splash of red on your Blacktron version. Red was part of the colour palette, admittedly that was trans red, but I think it would be preferable to white. 6894 Invader had some major flappy back wings in trans red...
    Another thought, are there any tyres that fit snugly, I've seen some builders turn tyres inside out to good effect, haven't ever done it myself but would that work here?
    I've been thinking about it, and I think white would be better choice than red, if it came down to one or the other.  Thanks to a somewhat mysterious model, between the five main sets from 1978-88 and generation two from 1991-92, in 1990 there was one of those classic Legoland multi-pack sets that included a Blacktron I vehicle:

...which, as you can see, includes white.  It's transitioning to Blacktron II, but still first generation, making the color white in the palette, canon... except that no model includes both white and yellow, arguably. 

I have the entire Blacktron I collection in front of me and there are literally no other colors than black, yellow*, and trans-red.  All of it.  Those three colors.  And an insignificant amount, relatively, of white and light gray. 

I think solid red deviates too far from the theme, so I won't use it.  Besides, the M:tron monorail isn't coming apart soon (I'm trying to have four built for Brickfair in just a few weeks) and the covers are too expensive to casually buy an extra one of. 

That's not to say I'm keeping the white.  Since the primary accent color is yellow and minimal, the white is too dominant and visually takes over in contrast to the black.  It needs a partial cover, at a minimum.

---

*Trans yellow for canopies. The sets I own also originally included trans-yellow hoses.  Others came with solid yellow.  I'm not sure which is more common.  But my box art does show solid.

catwrangler
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,086
    That was a great set-up! Will you be back next year?  Hopefully you will have a little more help with the collaboration. 
    ecmo47 said:
    That was a great set-up! Will you be back next year?  Hopefully you will have a little more help with the collaboration. 
    Thanks, S.  I will definitely return next year.  But I have not decided what project to start for BF 2018, except that it is highly unlikely I will bring this back.  In the meantime, as a group, we are doing a regular town/train layout later this year.  
  • Brick_MonsterBrick_Monster United KingdomMember Posts: 3
    Very nice.  I love the angled windows on the monorail car.  Blue and white monorail looks great.
  • 19741974 Member Posts: 140
    edited July 2018
    Nevermind ..
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,945
    Love the use of those grey baseplates with inexplicable green lane lines.  Very clever!
    SprinkleOtter
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 766
    2 of my friends are at BFVA this weekend and both sent me pics separately of these amazing monorails. Nice builds @drdesignz