Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

UCS falcon rumours (that turned out to be true!)

Comments

• monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,013
    CCC said:
    Remember the DS was re-released after being sold for years, as there must have been a good business case for it.

They had to "re-release" it to justify such a huge rise in RRP.
  • LuccideLuccide Member Posts: 42
    edited August 2017
    People really need over the "huge" price rise over the previous death star. Depending on your country/ currency about 50- 75% of the increase is pure inflation 
    sid3windrMattDawsonPaperballpark
  • KingDaveKingDave UKMember Posts: 973
    CCC said:

I think a Falcon would be better received than a Cloud City by more general (not lego-specific) SW fans. The number of fans with an original UCS MF is fairly small, so not too many people will care about a re-release. Remember the DS was re-released after being sold for years, as there must have been a good business case for it.
    I think the only reason the Death Star set was 'retired' was because it had been about for so long they had to adjust the price up quite a lot. The only way they could do that was to 'retire' the old set, change a few small details and bish bosh 'new' set back on the shelf with the new price. Nothing wrong with doing this, but I think it will be around for another 5 years now easy.
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 622
    waynlewis said:
    I'm going to get started on building my Lepin Star Wnrs Falcon set this week, I need something to pass the time until the official release of the new UCS!!!
    Hahaha, I'm in exactly the same boat! Simply haven't had the free time over the past year. I'm away this week but going to have to build before the new one's released, so next week it is!
  • stetstet Member Posts: 45
    I wonder how much the Lepin version will cost.  My guess is $250 to $300.
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    So the most expensive main line product is the Death Star at $499rrp.  So, we're talking about a 60% increase to that for this thing?  It just can't be, regardless of piece count.  I mean at a certain point they'll only sell to super hardcore fans.....I mean, I know they aren't going for volume of sales here for the high end sets, but this would be beyond that at that RRP.

Or maybe I am just crazy.  I can't see any higher than $599.  Guess we'll see.
  • Matt89190Matt89190 UKMember Posts: 307
    It just hit me today how absolutely brilliant a job Lego has done with this. Because there have been no leaks (touch wood haha) I am absolutely psyched for the official reveal.
    In the case of, say, the TLJ sets (I know we got full leaks eventually, but whatever), after I saw that initial photo of the Resistance Bomber, yes, I was excited to see it, but my excitement for the official reveal went down because all I'd really learn from that was if it had an interior and things like that.
    However, because we know so little about the Falcon, my excitement for the official reveal is way up, because we'll learn everything at once - interior, exterior, figs, piece count, the works.

And so, in this realisation, I have come to the somewhat startling conclusion that I don't want there to be any leaks. I want to be surprised and see it all at once, as that will be the best way to experience it, IMO.
    Just my 2p. :)

I really hope now that some store doesn't go and ruin it all like last year.....
    omniumCM4SBengh_ZerannicoyagomezAdeelZubaircatwranglersnowhitie
  • BartelasBartelas Hiking Into Mordor Member Posts: 130
    stet said:
    Haha no shit! I bought myself the UCS Lepin Falcon for 40 Bucks! (Pls don't judge me :)) If you buy that crap from an "official dealer" (That's what I call them) the price is extremely cheap, even for brand new, never ever seen before Lepin sets xD
  • ateagueateague EnglandMember Posts: 171
    Matt89190 said:
    It just hit me today how absolutely brilliant a job Lego has done with this. Because there have been no leaks (touch wood haha) I am absolutely psyched for the official reveal.
    In the case of, say, the TLJ sets (I know we got full leaks eventually, but whatever), after I saw that initial photo of the Resistance Bomber, yes, I was excited to see it, but my excitement for the official reveal went down because all I'd really learn from that was if it had an interior and things like that.
    However, because we know so little about the Falcon, my excitement for the official reveal is way up, because we'll learn everything at once - interior, exterior, figs, piece count, the works.

And so, in this realisation, I have come to the somewhat startling conclusion that I don't want there to be any leaks. I want to be surprised and see it all at once, as that will be the best way to experience it, IMO.

I really hope now that some store doesn't go and ruin it all like last year.....
    I
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 831

Cheers @CM4S
    OnebricktoomanystluxFollowsCloselyMr_CrossCM4SBartelasbrickedinsnowhitie
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,365
    Matt89190 said:

I read online Disney threatened to pull the SW license from LEGO after that.

Remember we already most if not all the minifigures included thanks to Stash2Sixx on Eurobricks. 

This week during my searches I came across MANY sites that have now uploaded the TLJ sets, hi res and all. I don't think LEGO cares. No other TLJ toys have been uploaded anywhere. I have checked and some toys have already hit shelves around me, such as Rey's Lightsaber for $149.99!

I know this is a laugh but I don't want it to be leaked ether! I can't wait to be surprised. Hopefully we get another teaser tomorrow, marking one week after the first one. 
    Bartelas
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 934
    edited August 2017
    stet said:
    Call me crazy, but even if I weren't opposed to bootleg sets on principle, I don't think I'd ever see myself paying a sum like that for one no matter HOW big a set it was. Not only is that a lot of money to drop on a counterfeit item, but displaying a set like that would just scream "I am perfectly able to afford real Lego but specifically choose not to".
    CM4S said:
    Matt89190 said:

Remember we already most if not all the minifigures included thanks to Stash2Sixx on Eurobricks. 

This week during my searches I came across MANY sites that have now uploaded the TLJ sets, hi res and all. I don't think LEGO cares. No other TLJ toys have been uploaded anywhere. I have checked and some toys have already hit shelves around me, such as Rey's Lightsaber for $149.99!

I know this is a laugh but I don't want it to be leaked ether! I can't wait to be surprised. Hopefully we get another teaser tomorrow, marking one week after the first one. 
    I have little doubt that they care. But once things like this are out there quashing any and all uploads is like a game of Whac-a-mole. This is why sites like Brothers Brick ought to know better than to immediately repost these kinds of pictures when they get uploaded early by an irresponsible retailer.
    sid3windr
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,226
    CM4S said:
    Um, that's not how that works.  Multi-billion dollar money-printing entities don't threaten to 'pull' hundred million dollar licensing agreements.  

And with SW Lego, it's clear the designers are given scant information about plot points or character development.  It took two years to get a rathtar set!
    BumblepantsprevereOnebricktoomanybobabricksBartelasLegoboysnowhitie
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,226
    (How much do you want to guess Disney would realistically pay to have all of the Marvel properties back under their complete control?  If even just for the theme park possibilities - how quick did they get that GotG Escape ride designed and retrofitted in California after the release of the first movie?  I'm sure someone is already designing a Marvel/Superheroesland for Disney Movie Studios at Walt Disney World.)
    This isn't UCS Falcon related but someone is selling the Last Jedi sets on eBay. They're from Pennsylvania so ?? 
  • BrooklynAgeBrooklynAge NYCMember Posts: 3
    Hi Brickset, I posted this on another forum waiting to be approved to submit here, but you were my first choice to share my thoughts:

With enough squinting and studying of the photoshopped picture, I honestly think I see a pair of Tie Fighters pursuing the Falcon (actually I swear I see an Interceptor and Vader's ship above it).  The volume and shape of the box really scream that it is more than one box.  Could this really be a couple of ships?   I sure hope I'm not an idiot for thinking this, but it seems so logical to me.

.....and hello everyone!

sid3windrsnowhitie
  • BartelasBartelas Hiking Into Mordor Member Posts: 130
    Hi Brickset, I posted this on another forum waiting to be approved to submit here, but you were my first choice to share my thoughts:

With enough squinting and studying of the photoshopped picture, I honestly think I see a pair of Tie Fighters pursuing the Falcon (actually I swear I see an Interceptor and Vader's ship above it).  The volume and shape of the box really scream that it is more than one box.  Could this really be a couple of ships?   I sure hope I'm not an idiot for thinking this, but it seems so logical to me.

.....and hello everyone!

What do you mean saying it's more than one box? LEGO themselves said In their tweet that the Falcon will be in a box that is 4.86 times larger than the London bus one. That should suggest that there is only one box beneath this intriguing white blanket. 
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    ^ They never said it was a falcon. However the above comment concerns me that we might see a huge playset called "Attack on the Death Star" featuring an X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Falcon and TIE Advanced plus turrets, AA Towers. If this happens part of me will die.
  • BrooklynAgeBrooklynAge NYCMember Posts: 3
    Bartelas, imagine that there were two UCS packages but within the one big box - still one box, but two ships inside...probably in their own boxes for actual box integrity/packaging though.  I don't figure it wouldn't be a playset, just two really solid UCS ships for a display.  Maybe only a small trench with turret? (kidding there, Cap'n sir!).
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 906
    Tbh it's most likely going to be a special box, bit like the Porsche
    BumblepantsLegoboy
    ^Totally agree - TragicBanjo (a reliable source) hinted at this months ago!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,776
    Lyichir said:
    This is why sites like Brothers Brick ought to know better than to immediately repost these kinds of pictures when they get uploaded early by an irresponsible retailer.

Why single out Brothers Brick? Take a read of the Brickset policy ...

https://brickset.com/about/noveltypolicy

We will publish images that have originated from LEGO or one of its partners if their provenance is known

For example:

• Images published by a partner of the LEGO group: e.g. one of the Amazon sites, small toy shop websites, Eastern European certified store Facebook groups.

Although they can also be removed again if LEGO asks for them to be removed.
    sid3windrFollowsClosely
    That will keep the part count down then.
    A.BrickovskyMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • zorzoszorzos CyprusMember Posts: 26
    So the page count comes to around 500? Yikes..
  • CoviCovi BelgiumMember Posts: 308
    How many times did they do an instruction with the rings? I know they often split instructions into several booklets, so I wonder if this pic is also a clue because the MF was also in the pictured format...
  • GhenddGhendd NetherlandsMember Posts: 13
    The original #10179 instruction manual had about 316 pages. This thing is HUGE!
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,403
    Or each page just adds one brick at a time.
    FollowsCloselyShibGooker1Rainstorm26gmonkey76SumoLego
    CCC said:
    About 500 pages ... I know what it is.

It is the list of resellers banned from [email protected]
    No, it's a list of people Stash2Sixx has banned..... :P
    SMCstarwars4evernwr122monstblitzM_Bossgmonkey76GremerMAGNINOMINISUMBRAGoldchains
    CM4S said:
    That's a little disappointing.... I guess the teasers are purely to show size - I was hoping for some build shots, but oh well...

I'm calling it now - the next ones will be piece count, physical dimensions, and most importantly.... sticker count!
    waynlewis[Deleted User]
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,698
    Bartelas said:

.....and hello everyone!

What do you mean saying it's more than one box? LEGO themselves said In their tweet that the Falcon will be in a box that is 4.86 times larger than the London bus one. That should suggest that there is only one box beneath this intriguing white blanket. 
    The #10188 Deathstar had 4 white boxes inside the main box, the new set could be similarly packaged. 
  • Bengh_ZeranBengh_Zeran NetherlandsMember Posts: 40
    edited August 2017
    At an average of 12 parts per page  / per building step = approx. 6000 pieces...
    14 parts per page = approx. 7000 pieces...
    16 parts per page = approx. 8000 pieces...

...We'll have to check the 10179 instr. again!

Oh, we might very well get to around 8000 parts this time :-O
    From the area of it, they could easily have 10-12 individual steps per page.

• Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,313
    It looks like they wised up after the last teaser. I would have assumed that Lego would have just wrapped a blank box in white paper (unless they wanted people to find the image behind it?). Looks like a book of white pages only this time

...but I'm sure someone will try to peer into the depths of those instructions still
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,475
    Perhaps it's final "art" and they're going all 'white album' on us!
    [Deleted User]
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,084
    ...but I'm sure someone will try to peer into the depths of those instructions still
    There's nothing there, I've played around with the brightness/contrast etc. There's no silhouette or anything - I suspect they used card rather than paper.
    Switchfoot55
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    Matt89190 said:

That's a little disappointing.... I guess the teasers are purely to show size - I was hoping for some build shots, but oh well...

I'm calling it now - the next ones will be piece count, physical dimensions, and most importantly.... sticker count!
    The "reveal" is Sept 1st.  That is when official images will show up.  The teasers are just that, teasing you until Sept 1.
    mustang69
    Two, maybe three more teasers then. What do we reckon they'll be? (In the same vein as the last two).

Physical dimensions could be one, but how do you 'white it out'? A MF-shaped white wrapper would be pretty obvious.

Piece count? They could do a large pile of pieces whited out. That wouldn't give much away, as all you'd have is the outline. Wouldn't even have to be the set - could just be a random pile of pieces whited out.
    Two, maybe three more teasers then. What do we reckon they'll be? (In the same vein as the last two).

Physical dimensions could be one, but how do you 'white it out'? A MF-shaped white wrapper would be pretty obvious.

Piece count? They could do a large pile of pieces whited out. That wouldn't give much away, as all you'd have is the outline. Wouldn't even have to be the set - could just be a random pile of pieces whited out.
    Pile of pieces... 4.4x bigger than Snowspeeder! 
    waynlewis
  • stevecook132stevecook132 Member Posts: 112
    Tease on the weight of the thing perhaps?

Yes that's a good one.

Someone find out how much #10179 weighs!
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    edited August 2017
    ^ Since they did box dimensions they'd probably do box weight which is 10214.9g (22.47 lb) for #10179
  • M_BossM_Boss Houston, TexasMember Posts: 255
    Covi said:
    How many times did they do an instruction with the rings? I know they often split instructions into several booklets, so I wonder if this pic is also a clue because the MF was also in the pictured format...
    #10221 had instructions with rings
    Yes that's a good one.

Someone find out how much #10179 weighs!
    10.2kg
  • exciter1exciter1 Member Posts: 226
    CM4S said:
    Matt89190 said:

The 3.75" figures and vehicle images have been leaked online for a couple weeks.

https://www.instagram.com/swrogue507/?hl=en

• bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,270
    Just to be slightly off topic (I know it's been rare in this thread so apologies in advance) but let's say It's Sept 1st, the set has been revealed and its everything everyone wants from it.

What are the thoughts on the life expectancy of the Death Star set?

Will the Falcon become the new flag ship set or is it more likely that the new set will be a 2/3 years and done set and the Death Star then carries on being the Star Wars evergreen?

Just curious how people think this will pan out.
  • 7BS7BS CaliforniaMember Posts: 55
    ^I don't think LEGO would have gone to the trouble of re-releasing the Death Star if only for a couple years. They probably plan #75159 to have just as long a run as #10188.
    I expect that even if the Falcon gets an interior, it will still be targeted more toward adults, and it will play out like any of the other popular UCS sets.
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,475
    Some designers build mainly in white when they're designing a set (I think it's mentioned somewhere in the DK book 'Great Lego Sets'), so it might not be impossible for the next teaser to be two piles of mostly white bricks...

My guess is Assembly Square for the next comparison though.

Are the bags numbered in the more recent large scale sets? It might be there are X number of bags in this set and the big set has 4x (or whatever) the number of bags... iirc Jango's Slave I had whited out bags.

I'm really enjoying the speculation, I think Lego are doing a brilliant job with building a real event around this set's release, the anticipation is being stoked to fever pitch, I can see one of the major papers picking this up as a news article if the hype increases much more. As someone else mentioned, it's like the attention an Apple product would have received a few years ago.
    Bartelascatwrangler