UCS falcon rumours (that turned out to be true!)

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    I think people are looking at this differently than I am. There is no doubt that Lego remakes sets, but people want the set now, not 10 years from now. I can imagine telling my child "You can't have this set because in 10-15 years from now, Lego will remake this set and it will be even better than this one. We will just wait until that happens and THEN I will buy it for you." 
    CCCstluxgmonkey76Legoboymustang69TyresOFlahertyJern92Aanchirsnowhitie
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,789
    Pitfall69 said:
    I think people are looking at this differently than I am. There is no doubt that Lego remakes sets, but people want the set now, not 10 years from now. I can imagine telling my child "You can't have this set because in 10-15 years from now, Lego will remake this set and it will be even better than this one. We will just wait until that happens and THEN I will buy it for you." 
    And if you wait yet another 10 years, they'll do an even better one again. And repeat.
    SumoLegoPitfall69gmonkey76mustang69
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,913
    I think the same philosophy applies to automobiles.  Or motor scooters... or bicycles... or shoes...

In the meantime, I buy thick gloves and walk on my hands.
    Pitfall69gmonkey76Galactus
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    ^Yeah, I was going to use the automobile comparison, but I didn't want to get into all of that :)
    gmonkey76
  • MrKettleMrKettle OxfordshireMember Posts: 136
    I know a price tag of $799 has been talked about but any guesses as to a GBP value. When the revamped (cloned) Death Star was released it was about £100 less than the dollar value (£399 vs $499) so do you think we are looking at £650-£700.

There have been a few odd occasions where the GBP value was higher than the USD but those are mostly smaller sets. Anyway thoughts on a GBP price of the $799 is correct?
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,531
    At last, they are replacing 10179 - now my other half will stop telling me what a great idea it would be to sell it!
    Bartelas
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,697
    Its just a guess but I think £699.99
  • BartelasBartelas Hiking Into Mordor Member Posts: 130
    Pitfall69 said:
    You guys don't know how freakin' hard it is for me to not post any memes in this thread. I swear you guys try to set me up on purpose. It will get to a point where I might just explode and post 1,000 memes all at once :0
    I can't wait ;-)
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,474
    Is there a UCS falcon yet?
  • BartelasBartelas Hiking Into Mordor Member Posts: 130
    CCC said:
    Bartelas said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    You guys don't know how freakin' hard it is for me to not post any memes in this thread. I swear you guys try to set me up on purpose. It will get to a point where I might just explode and post 1,000 memes all at once :0
    I can't wait ;-)
    Post the words and describe the picture in your head.

On second thoughts, I don't want to know what's in your head.

That's what's in my head: A corn and weed field set containing 10000 pieces and an outline of what seems to be a plate with two pizza slices sticking out of it #yaaas
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,443
    Insert Deadpool IKEA meme here
    You'll need a kitchen worktop, this thing isn't going to fit in a cabinet.
    bandit778
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    CCC said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    And if you wait yet another 10 years, they'll do an even better one again. And repeat.

But can you really see Lego remaking sets like The firehouse HQ? The Beatles yellow Submarine? 

Those sets have have such a niche market I can't see Lego being in much of a rush to rehash them 10 years from now.

I'm fully in agreement on the person who said kids will eventually loose interest in Lego, weren't they almost bankrupt back in the late 90's had it not been for Star Wars? 

Every toy company has its peak and decline, I think Lego are relatively lucky that they have survived in the toy industry for as long as they have.

CCC said:
    Pitfall69 said:

But can you really see Lego remaking sets like The firehouse HQ? The Beatles yellow Submarine? 

No, I doubt it. Sets from Ideas or one-off sets are different to sets from an evergreen theme.
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 222
    flord said:
    Let's get ahead of ourselves and start talking about which IKEA cabinets would fit this thing.
    I'm hoping it'll sit on top of a 60x38cm Besta. Last night I was trying to google the footprint of 10179 to see if it would work with the landing gear. Then again LEGO might have designed this with a dynamic stand.
  • stevecook132stevecook132 Member Posts: 112
    ^Roughly 32 x 50cm would be enough to get all the feet of 10179 on, there would be just a bit of over hanging going on :-)
  • Russ_HannemanRuss_Hanneman Palo AltoMember Posts: 16
    flord said:
    Let's get ahead of ourselves and start talking about which IKEA cabinets would fit this thing.

So..... ummm..... which do you think *would* fit this thing?
    My triple XL magnum condoms
  • Matt89190Matt89190 UKMember Posts: 281
    flord said:

So..... ummm..... which do you think *would* fit this thing?
    This is troubling me too.... I'm thinking two Lack tables, and I can put my Slave I next to it, but I don't really have room for the tables themselves....
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 673
    So @Russ_Hanneman just sent me this delightful message:

Really? Did you actually think it was appropriate to make what is clearly a massive exaggeration of the size of your junk on the forum of a children's toy? You know, my children sometimes read this forum. I'm usually all for off-topic discussion, but that is beyond the pale. 

Thoughts @Huw @CapnRex101 ?

mustang69UberbrickCM4ScatwranglerSumoLegoMorkMan
  • Russ_HannemanRuss_Hanneman Palo AltoMember Posts: 16
    flord said:
    So @Russ_Hanneman just sent me this delightful message:

Really? Did you actually think it was appropriate to make what is clearly a massive exaggeration of the size of your junk on the forum of a children's toy? You know, my children sometimes read this forum. I'm usually all for off-topic discussion, but that is beyond the pale. 

Exactly my point
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^^ There's always the Flag option.
    Switchfoot55Bumblepantsstluxmustang69Pitfall69bobabricksSumoLego
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 673
    Reported, including his second DM to me. Thanks @Yodalicious forgot about the flag.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    flord said:

Forum is 16+.  It is an adult forum about a children's toy.  Your decision to let your kids read it is your parenting choice, but in no way should have bearing on the allowed content on the forum based on the terms.  
    Harassing members in PM is a different issue.
    Pitfall69SumoLegogmonkey76Aanchir
  • TyresOFlahertyTyresOFlaherty USAMember Posts: 340
    So have people started telling/warning their SOs about this upcoming set?

Broke the news to my wife last night, luckily I have a decent amount stashed away in my Lego fund... but I still have some serious saving to do...
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,474
    What's a condom??
    FollowsClosely
    It seems to have got sorted quick enough!
    Pitfall69
  • TyresOFlahertyTyresOFlaherty USAMember Posts: 340
    @Yodalicious "my our collection" lol

"Don't worry sweetheart, I'll take care of getting it and putting it together. It's still 'ours,' though."

I'm learning some great tactics here in this forum.
    sid3windrsnowhitieGalactus
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 942

I've already informed Mrs Lobot that I'll be adding it to my collection...

She gave me her usual, disappointed, look and then I quickly changed the subject.

bandit778BumblepantsGalactus
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 806
    luckily my other half doesnt control me i do what i want
    sid3windrwillp2003ISDAvenger
  • ateagueateague EnglandMember Posts: 171
    My story was similar to Lobots. She wasn't happy but it can't be helped. She also said, we could go on a family holiday for that, to which my response was, yes we could have! 
    Lobotsid3windrMr_Cross
    Mine went
    Me: Hey Mr bank account I need $800 for a LEGO set
    Mr BA: Sorry no can do!
    Mr CC: I have $800 you can have.
    Me: DEAL! Thanks Mr CC!
    TyresOFlahertysid3windrmonstblitzSeanTheCollectorJohnyk668prevereRails
    ^^^^^^^ like this 
  • danstraindepotdanstraindepot Member Posts: 170
    Me:  I made a bunch of money on the last one....
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited August 2017
    Everyone seems to have already decided but....What if its not quite as good as the original?  

Will you get it anyway just because and know forever that its not quite as good as the proper one?
  • CrzypenguCrzypengu United StatesMember Posts: 77
    I will only get it if it is minifigure scale like the previous one and if it is an actual updated version instead of a re-release
    I will definitely be purchasing it regardless as I was not into Lego when the original was released. Therefore I hopefully wont compare them. Day one for me for sure 
  • flakmaniakflakmaniak Member Posts: 50
    Look, all I'm saying is: When it's the UCS Shark's Crystal Cave, you'll all be crying, but I'll be having the time of my life.
    catwrangler
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,942
    edited August 2017
    Yodalicious said:
    . But I'm only actually increasing the size of my our collection by about 2%. That's virtually nothing. 
    That's very dangerous ground especially as Lego boxes in the States usually come with piece counts, might get the missus working out how much you have stashed away. 

As for the extra 2% of lettuce, if it had cost $800, she might not be quite also cheery about it. ;)

If I decide to get this at some point (to many other big sets still wanted at release date) It may have to be a buy, store for 12 months then when it comes out for building use the old chestnut "this old thing, I had it for positively ages"  :)
    Lobotstluxnwr122catwranglerdmcc0
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 748
    Over dinner this evening her ladyship was made aware I might need the dining table for 7,500 pieces.  Roll of eyes.  Then all hell broke lose.  My 14 year old informed me he is no longer interested in Lego.  What?  WHAT?  WTF???
    Bartelaslegofanfromleedscatwranglerdougtsomniumpvp3020snowhitieGalactus