Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

UCS falcon rumours (that turned out to be true!)

Comments

• vulcano_giallovulcano_giallo SwitzerlandMember Posts: 5
    Monday I was told the following:
    Bricks: 6831
    Price in Italy: € 800
    Cannot say how reliable the source is... in less than a month, we will know more.
    Lordmoral
  • CrzypenguCrzypengu United StatesMember Posts: 77
    Monday I was told the following:
    Bricks: 6831
    Price in Italy: € 800
    Cannot say how reliable the source is... in less than a month, we will know more.
    I think it will be a lot more pieces than that. The box itself is Ginormous compared to prevoius UCS Star Wars sets
  • CommanderJigglypuffCommanderJigglypuff NetherlandsMember Posts: 63
    It'll be €800 in the Netherlands so I guess countries like France, Italy can expect the same. Maybe Germany will be cheaper, but wouldn't be suprised if they price it like the Death Star (every country the same price). 
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    i heard there's a freebie with this new set. Lifesize Lego dolly to wheel it out of the store.

chrisalddinsid3windrBumblepantsSumoLegoPitfall69wardcatwranglersnowhitie
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    For €800 id expect at the very least a premium lift off box and packaging like 42056.

Such a Crazy amount of money for a Lego set when you really stop and think about it, only sounds cheap nowadays due to 10179's value.

Will be interesting to know whether this will unexpectedly have yet another disappointing sales turnout like it did the first time around as once all of the die hard Lego/Star Wars collectors have one will there really be that many of your average joe's willing to shell out such money on a mass produced plastic toy? 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,771

Will be interesting to know whether this will unexpectedly have yet another disappointing sales turnout like it did the first time around as once all of the die hard Lego/Star Wars collectors have one will there really be that many of your average joe's willing to shell out such money on a mass produced plastic toy? 
    And don't forget resellers. Although usually a very minor group for sales of normal sets, they could well be more significant for sales of this one. Everyone knows the stories about the set that was one of the best investments ever.

• FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,701
    CM4S said:

I see it!
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,221
    prevere said:
    i heard there's a freebie with this new set. Lifesize Lego dolly to wheel it out of the store.

I would buy one of those!
    Pitfall69preveregmonkey76
  • blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 598
    For €800 id expect at the very least a premium lift off box and packaging like 42056.

Such a Crazy amount of money for a Lego set when you really stop and think about it, only sounds cheap nowadays due to 10179's value.

As a fairly new returning LEGO fan I've always wondered, where does this statement get its basis from? Where do people get the idea that the first one was a disappointing product from a sales perspective to TLG?
  • Matt89190Matt89190 UKMember Posts: 307
    So I was thinking about this, and assuming a once-a-week teaser schedule like Saturn V, and given there are 4 Sundays between now and Sept. 1, my official predictions for the images (in no particular order) are:

• A shot of some (vague-ish and relatively unrevealing) mechanical detail such as landing gear or hyperdrive parts
    • An on-box shot of set number and part count (to emphasise size) a bit like that Death Star leak from last year
    • A shot of the controls from inside the cockpit
    • A front-on shot of the ship, silhouetted

Just based it off the sort of stuff we got from Saturn V, and thought how TLG could create the most hype! :)

• legofanfromleedslegofanfromleeds legoland...England Member Posts: 394
    Well I've everything crossed for the millennium falcon being in my hands on the 1st of Sept but in the back of my mind I'm thinking we could have all got it wrong and actually it's the long over due re release of cloud city
    JELJ1S
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,494
    ^ Current prediction is announced Sept 1, not released.
  • JuggaJugga LondonMember Posts: 5
    Based on what I can work out from the image, and what we know from the London Bus box size we can work out the following:

London Bus Box: 20,064 cm3 (48 x 38 x 11cm)
    Unknown Box: 97,200 cm3  (20,000 x 4.86)

A box size of W48cm x H45cm x D45cm will come out at exactly 97,200 cm3..

TyresOFlaherty
  • waynlewiswaynlewis USAMember Posts: 86
    It would be cool if you also got Double VIP points with the purchase, as an added incentive perhaps. A little crafty for Lego to offer DVIP right before the release too...
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 1,010
    @CCC made me laugh out loud with Peppa! I've been up since 4am with a poorly little boy watching Peppa. Very funny.
    Muftak1
  • Habitant99Habitant99 FloridaMember Posts: 99
    "Look at the size of that thing!"
    Galactus
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    I think LEGO could get some national scale backlash with this move. It puts a spotlight on overpriced toys and makes the connection to LEGO. Of course, this set isn't mean for kids, but the national media is ignorant enough not to realize that. 
    I was thinking about what are some of the minifigs we are guaranteed to see vs which ones am I hoping to see.  If this set focuses on all of the MF adventures in the various films, can we please get a Bespin Luke (with no hand)?  I *might* have a MOC I'm working on that desperately needs that figure...  So that's my request.  Anyone else have any oddball minifigs you want?

• GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    Nien Nunb, Nien Nunb, Nien Nunb! Also Lando, a bit.
    M_BossMr_Cross
  • Matt89190Matt89190 UKMember Posts: 307
    +1 for Nien Nunb
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    edited August 2017
    prevere said:
    I think LEGO could get some national scale backlash with this move. It puts a spotlight on overpriced toys and makes the connection to LEGO. Of course, this set isn't mean for kids, but the national media is ignorant enough not to realize that. 
    Maybe, but they also have sets that are $3.99. They hit price points across the entire spectrum, so their response could be as simple as "this is a collectors item." Any backlash would die out quickly. 

And overpriced is dependent on how you look at it. The new Ninjago City could be considered an overpriced toy at $299.99, but at 4,867 pieces, it's price per piece is a lot lower than many much smaller/lower total cost sets. 

Sure, most parents won't buy a $800 toy for their children, but overall size is a much different discussion than let's say a $5 action figure vs. a $50 action figure that's roughly the same size and offers the same functionality. 
    stluxC0chiseM_Bosssid3windrBengh_Zeranbandit778CCCsnowhitie
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    I was thinking about what are some of the minifigs we are guaranteed to see vs which ones am I hoping to see.  If this set focuses on all of the MF adventures in the various films, can we please get a Bespin Luke (with no hand)?  I *might* have a MOC I'm working on that desperately needs that figure...  So that's my request.  Anyone else have any oddball minifigs you want?

Do you really need them to release a torso with no hand in the arm socket to accomplish that?  They come out you know.
    mcmeadorBartelasoldtodd33gmonkey76BlueTacodougtsCCCsid3windrGalactus
  • mcmeadormcmeador USAMember Posts: 29
    Don't know how significant this is, but even LEGO's Twitter account says they hope this is a UCS Millennium Falcon.

snowhitieGalactus
  • BricklunchBricklunch UKMember Posts: 21

Having manipulated the image myself I could definitely see the Lego logo & MF cockpit but also what looked like either close-up detail or perhaps what looked similar to a gantry over the dark banner design at the top of the box (at the bottom of the photo). I thought (maybe delusionally) that I could make out a figure or two but suspect that was wishful thinking.

• SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 2,104
    Give it's upside down it could also be the back of the box 
    PaperballparkBartelasMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
    graphite said:

Do you really need them to release a torso with no hand in the arm socket to accomplish that?  They come out you know.
    That part was a joke...
    prevere said:
    ...but the national media is ignorant...
    If the US National Media meant anything, the stock market wouldn't be at 21,000, and we wouldn't have a former USFL owner as President.

LEGO is a premium brand that markets comparatively expensive sets.  And they're the World's #1 toy manufacturer.  Methinks they don't worry about backlash.
    gmonkey76
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,034
    Dtrimpi87Switchfoot55SumoLego
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    Matt89190 said:
    So I was thinking about this, and assuming a once-a-week teaser schedule like Saturn V, and given there are 4 Sundays between now and Sept. 1, my official predictions for the images (in no particular order) are:

• A shot of some (vague-ish and relatively unrevealing) mechanical detail such as landing gear or hyperdrive parts
    • An on-box shot of set number and part count (to emphasise size) a bit like that Death Star leak from last year
    • A shot of the controls from inside the cockpit
    • A front-on shot of the ship, silhouetted

Just based it off the sort of stuff we got from Saturn V, and thought how TLG could create the most hype! :)

As if the MF needed any hype! We have been doing Lego's job for the last 34 pages  (1700+ posts and counting). Still hoping that Lego does a 6 month pre-order phase to cut down of release day mayhem. 
    waynlewisMr_Cross
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 806
    10179 is a mere 60,000 cm cubed
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    blogzilly said:

As a fairly new returning LEGO fan I've always wondered, where does this statement get its basis from? Where do people get the idea that the first one was a disappointing product from a sales perspective to TLG?

Who knows what actual sales data was, but the original was relatively easily had for $280-$300, so 40% off or more. I am not even sure they sold out of the initial 10,000 preorder. That was when $500 for a LEGO set was really unheard of. I could have bought one many times over and simply didn't. I thought 1) where would I put it and 2) what can the possible appreciation be if people are balking at $500. Clearly I was wrong =)
    omnium
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 774
    CM4S said:

I see it!
    That has to be the cat from the Ninjago Movie, I know Lego said they would only have one DC set but this is a nice way to suprised fans. It could also be an UCS SW Millennium Falcon, we shall see who is correct.
  • typocorrectotypocorrecto Member Posts: 196
    And we thought the resellers were bad with the Saturn V. The shenanigans will be taken to a whole new level with this.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    The price tag is gonna keep a whole lot of people on the sidelines with this one. 
    SumoLegoJohnyk668datsunrobbie
  • M_BossM_Boss Houston, TexasMember Posts: 255
    edited August 2017
    typo said:
    And we thought the resellers were bad with the Saturn V. The shenanigans will be taken to a whole new level with this.
    Just to break even, ebay sellers will need to sell a $600 set for $725, to cover tax, PayPal fee, and 10% ebay fee, so the price will probably land around $800 - $850 if stock is limited at first. Possibly even more, depending on how much the sellers rely on the price of the previous one to determine the price of this one.
    CCC said:
    For all those parents out there ...

The bus reference is clearly from when Madame Gazelle takes them on a trip up the mountains.

Very, very close to memesville on this one.  And I'm jealous I didn't think of this one myself.
    pharmjodgmonkey76bandit778sid3windrcatwrangler
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 792
    I can only imagine the havoc the new MF will create on the secondary market. Re-sellers will be snapping the new one up to pass on an inflated price to an unsuspecting public as soon as possible. It'll be perpetually out of stock for the first year, at least. Has anyone been following the price on #10179? It's been steadily falling since October, according to Brickpicker. I wonder how long it will take for the secondary market to reach an equilibrium between the two versions.
  • typocorrectotypocorrecto Member Posts: 196
    edited August 2017
    M_Boss said:
    typo said:
    Just to break even, ebay sellers will need to sell a $600 set for $725, to cover tax, PayPal fee, and 10% ebay fee, so the price will probably land around $800 - $850 if stock is limited at first. Possibly even more, depending on how much the sellers rely on the price of the previous one to determine the price of this one.
    I'm not talking about their bottom line. I couldn't care less. I'm talking about set availability.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    I'm betting on a UCS Construct-A-Zurg. If it is, I'm buying a dozen to go with the dozen smaller variety that have been sitting in my closet since 2010.
    SumoLegogmonkey76stluxGoldchainspreveredatsunrobbieTyresOFlahertycatwrangler
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 444
    Look at it this way: this is the set that will finally burst the bubble on reselling and stocking up on sets as investments. With the price of the original UCS Falcon falling (and the old UCS Snowspeeder for that matter), $800 seems like an awfully large big blind to buy into the reselling game, knowing full well now that all it will take is the previously-dismissed-as-impossible reissuing of a set to tank the value.   "Lego doesn't do remakes so the only way to get ________ is to buy it from me at this markup that is still high enough for me to turn a profit but not so high as to turn you away and make you look at other resellers' prices" has been the M.O. for quite some time as it's been true, but no longer seems relevant.  This has to be looked at from a long-term view: given a long enough timeline, the big sets that have been sold will be made again in some form, especially when the source material is not drastically changing (this precludes the modulars). Give Lego 40 years, and I would bet we will eventually see a new, improved Tower Bridge, for example. So be patient. I bet there are lots of people this time last year, and I would have to check the Bricklink sales data, that forked out the money for the original Death Star and Snowspeeder, and, had they waited a little bit, could have gotten the new one at a much lower premium, and taken advantage of double points promos, GWPs, etc. 

We had one customer come in a while back yelling at my staff that he had bought something like two dozen Death Stars only to see their value stagnate when #75159 was released.  I wonder if he's the same guy trying to unload his stock of SEVENTY 10188s in one $28,000 shot. Good luck, and caveat emptor. 

Not to mention, if the rumored $799.99 price point is true, that is A LOT OF MONEY. My son's deductible for his month-long stay in the NICU was less than that - and people howl about the cost of insurance premiums!!!!  I worry this will be the set that jumps the shark when it comes to how people see Lego as a good pastime for their kids.  At the end, it's a toy, and regardless of how awesome this set is going to be, if I were a twelve year old kid and asked for this, and my parents said, "Ok, this is your Christmas, birthday, and next Christmas present, or you could opt to get U, V, W, X, Y, and Z instead over that time frame" I would probably go with the latter. Heck, I might not even give my kid that option to even pick. 
    Bartelasgmonkey76sid3windrpreverepharmjod
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 606
    edited August 2017
    flord said:
    I can only imagine the havoc the new MF will create on the secondary market. Re-sellers will be snapping the new one up to pass on an inflated price to an unsuspecting public as soon as possible. It'll be perpetually out of stock for the first year, at least. Has anyone been following the price on #10179? It's been steadily falling since October, according to Brickpicker. I wonder how long it will take for the secondary market to reach an equilibrium between the two versions.
    I am quite interested to see how much the final reveal will change it. It just keeps going down! Lowest one on eBay is $2,500, half of what the original value was back in September.

flordCCCFollowsClosely
  • blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 598

Hand thing aside, it's a great thing that hadn't even crossed my mind. Will there even BE minifigures in this edition? If they go full interior and do include mf'ers, I'd love to see some variations that you could only get in the set. I know them's evil words, but imagine how cool it would if every single one was new? Ah, a 49 year old boy can dream...
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,475
    Mynatt said:
    I am quite interested to see how much the final reveal will change it. It just keeps going down! Lowest one on eBay is $2,500, half of what the original value was back in September.
    I think you can expect the sealed set to drop to around 2K or below and the used ones will probably plateau for around or just below the same price the new one is expected to cost. Based on nothing other than a hunch that there will still be tortured completists (not just AFOLs) who still want #10179 and the new release.
  • BartelasBartelas Hiking Into Mordor Member Posts: 130
    I AM SOOOO EXCITED!!!
    bobabricksmustang69TyresOFlaherty
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,842
    Hoping for $900 Cad, given the way Lego prices stuff that might be possible, maybe 950. We always have the cheapest sets given currency exchange though so there's not much to complain.
  • SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 765
    ^ My credit card company is getting excited as well! :D
    bobabricks
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,771
    edited August 2017
    prevere said:
    Maybe, but they also have sets that are $3.99. They hit price points across the entire spectrum, so their response could be as simple as "this is a collectors item." Any backlash would die out quickly. 

I agree here. This set isn't a toy. It is from a toy company, but it is not a toy for kids. It is no different to a car company that sells mainly $20K cars doing a $100K car. The UCS MF isn't for normal kids. It is mainly for rich adults.

SumoLego said:

Very, very close to memesville on this one.  And I'm jealous I didn't think of this one myself.
    One does not simply accuse others of posting memes...

Every time I see the cockpit shape I think of Peppa Pig. Now, I will have infected others with that thought.

MrJackson said:
    Look at it this way: this is the set that will finally burst the bubble on reselling and stocking up on sets as investments. With the price of the original UCS Falcon falling (and the old UCS Snowspeeder for that matter), $800 seems like an awfully large big blind to buy into the reselling game, knowing full well now that all it will take is the previously-dismissed-as-impossible reissuing of a set to tank the value.   "Lego doesn't do remakes so the only way to get ________ is to buy it from me at this markup that is still high enough for me to turn a profit but not so high as to turn you away and make you look at other resellers' prices" has been the M.O. for quite some time as it's been true, but no longer seems relevant.
    I don't think it is. If you really wanted something and could either buy it now at above RRP, or wait ten years for the possibility of getting it at RRP, what woud you do? Sets don't have to increase in value like the original UCS MF to make reselling worthwhile. If this increased by 50% within two years of retirement, I reckon many resellers would take that.

For me what has killed reselling: (i) the number of (smaller set) rehashes, and especially the number of re-released figures in either the same or very similar costumes, (ii) the availability of cheap fake minifigures (not so much sets), (iii) the number of resellers (whether interested in lego or not). One re-release doesn't matter, it is the continual re-releases that matter. How many people invested everything in the UCS MF and in nothing else? Just because that was the headline set of reselling articles, it was pretty misleading: so few were sold on the secondary market compared to other sets.

I also think a big part of the future will be lego's gradual decline in popularity. At the moment it is popular, but it will decline. People get bored of the same thing year after year and while lego reinvents its ranges, the basic ideas are the same. At some stage another toy company will overtake them and people will shift.

MrJackson said:
    Give Lego 40 years, and I would bet we will eventually see a new, improved Tower Bridge, for example. 
    No doubt they will. But that is a half a lifetime. No doubt quite a few people here will either have moved on from lego or be dead in 40 years.
    omniumFollowsCloselyBartelasbobabricksoldtodd33
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,407
    i would guess part of the dip in the 'original' UC Falcon is people hedging their bets. I would say that if the the new model is much the same as the old then, yes the price will continue to drop and eventually the two will get close.

However, if the model is significantly different then i think the original will stabilise and might even climb back up a bit, maybe not to the heights it was i doubt the price it comments will drop too much more, as it will continue to be a wholly unique model and as such 'collectors' will want it and the new one in their collection due to their significant differences. And lets face it the only people pay thousands of dollars are collectors, which is much the same target market as those that will pay hundreds at RRP for a new model.
    Bartelas
    ^Aka Death Star 1 vs Death Star 2
    gmonkey76