Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New, unknown Kraft/Velveeta promotional sets

LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 504
So I searching around eBay last week and ran across an auction for a small promotional set I wasn't familiar with.  It was a sealed Kraft/Velveeta promo of an unknown type with a flyer.  It all looks to me to be from the early 70s, late era Samsonite.  The seller thought there were 125 pieces, which matches was set #1 would be.  The box was stamped with 1258.  This fits with my theory on the set numbers of late era Samsonite are gotten from dropping the last number of the 4 digit number stamped on the box.

The flyers shows three more sets which are all different from early Kraft/Velveeta promo sets.  Set #4 in particular is much larger than any previous promo set that I'm aware of.   So other boxes would be stamped with 1568, 4268 and 9178 if I'm correct.

Sadly I didn't win the auction.  The price went higher than I was hoping it.  Fortunately the seller took some really good photos so I guess we can enjoy the pictures.

LEGO_Dad77catwrangler

Comments

• Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,802
    Love those prices on the order form. $8.75 for 917 pieces? Sign me up for a handful of each!
    Jackad7bobabricksgmonkey76
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,482
    I wonder what LEGO think of the way Kraft used their name back then - Lego not LEGO, "use your Lego" not "use your LEGO bricks". At least they didn't use Legos ...
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,307
    @Switchfoot55 USD 8.75 in 1973 (taking a random early 70's year) is about USD 50 in today's prices.
    So for a bunch of very basic bricks, that's about the same value you're getting from today's Classic Creative Boxes.

It's not a recent phenomenon that Lego is expensive ;)
    Switchfoot55rd189977ncaachamps
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,621
    Paging @Istokg  :-)
    gmonkey76sid3windr
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 504
    CCC said:
    I wonder what LEGO think of the way Kraft used their name back then - Lego not LEGO, "use your Lego" not "use your LEGO bricks". At least they didn't use Legos ...
    Kraft had nothing to do with this, it's all Samsonite.  Samsonite never was very good with things like Lego vs LEGO and I seem to remember seeing an old ad that used legos.  They seem to have gotten sloppy and more inconstant as time went on.  I can you to some old Samsonite catalogs and flyers if you're interested.
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 512
    LusiferSam said: I seem to remember seeing an old ad that used legos.
    !

Would be very interested to see that.
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 504
    I thought it was this ad that said "Kids build Legos.  Legos build kids."  But clearly I must have either remembered it wrong or read it wrong (I have dyslexia and sometime do that).  But as you can see Samsonite is using a mix of Lego and LEGO.  Some early stuff also uses a mix.