Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Next Modular: Town Hall (10224)

Comments

• legirllegirl Member Posts: 105
    I do love the way the town hall looks and I can't wait to get it but I don't think the micro builds will compare to fb - the fire engine, the fridge, the table tennis + when I did the year on fb I felt like I was really learning something cool....it looks like the year will be made the same way on th...maybe I'm wrong, I hope so! That said, I'm sure there will be lots of fun stuff to discover
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I'm going to go against the grain here...

I loved building FB, it is my favorite modular so far... Then again, I've only built it, and GE... GE was... meh... I was unimpressed overall.

Can't decide what to build next, either PS or GG. I'm tempted to just do PS since it is current and I won't be cracking open a retired set, but I know myself, GG doesn't stand a chance in the long run, I read too many good things about it. :)
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    edited February 2012
    @cloaked7 and @burnside - Out of curiosity... what is it you guys like about Green Grocer? I very nearly passed it up completely because of how bad I felt it looked (very much how I'm okay with not owning Market Street because of its design... and I would have passed on Cafe Corner as well, but for the fact that it's a corner). To me, Green Grocer is the weakest of the proper modulars (I'm not including Market Street in this... which I think is pretty unanimously regarded as the poorest of this line) and I think both Fire Brigade and Town Hall look substantially more impressive.

I do, however, acknowledge that Green Grocer is a popular set, and I'm certainly kicking myself for not picking up more of them, but I guess I just don't get what all the fuss is about.
    @LegoFanTexas - I completely agree. Fire Brigade is by far my favorite of the modulars, and it appears that Town Hall will be a close second. Even with a fourth floor in, GE is still pretty blah, though I do really love the revolving door and chandelier.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,914
    I'm surprised you guys are saying the FB is your favourite. I've read many reviews on the FB and many people say they dislike the set because it only has 2 floors.
    the revolving door and chandelier.
    Those two are the highlights of the set, in my opinion... and that it is a "corner". :)
    edited February 2012
    ^^ Two really well done floors. And a nice roof. The GE, in contrast, is an okay ground floor with two stories of 'blah' stacked on top of it.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,914
    edited February 2012
    Well, it is the outside that counts, right? That is basically the part that people will see the most.
    ^ I think so and ge gives good value on the outside, the curving shop sign, revolving door, window cleaner etc. The thing I like most about modulars is the architectural molding and how it is built and for that reason I am sad about missing gg, cc and ms. I actually love the way ms looks although I don't think it fits in as well as the others
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited February 2012
    ^^^^ It can be improved though :o) ... here's my attempt ...
    I think that having the 'main facade' on the side with the corner as an 'extra' entrance is more realistic.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 874
    ^ Very nice Si. Is that 2 GEs or 3?
    just 2 in the end plus a very small amount of extra bricks e.g. for the canopy
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 874
    Well it does make it look much more department-store-y. Does the interior run throughout as well?
    yup. (sorry didnt take any pics of that bit and Ive packed it away now) .. there are no escalators in the corner part and double escalators in the street facing part, with a big atrium, and a balcony cafe on the top floor.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    I like it too...actually it's one of my favorite Mods. I agree with @LFT, just put the DeLorean out in a polybag and it's a wrap.
  • Blue1dotBlue1dot Member Posts: 78
    Beautiful Si, I like the main entrance very much, and interior sounds nice too.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Good job @Si. Nicely done. My son just peeked at this picture and told me to ask you how much is it for :P
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    Thats outstanding Si! I may have to grab another GE before it goes away so I can do this to!
  • tsitsi Member Posts: 34
    What has the Town Hall in common with the tower of Big Ben?

I just found something interesting:

If you take a closer look at the clock of Big Ben (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ben):

... and compare it to the clock of the Town Hall:

The LEGO Tower Bridge is from 2010 ... actually there is no official follower known.
    Why they designed the print of the clock that much alike the one of "Big Ben" ?

;-)

Greetings
    tsi
  • GrogallGrogall Munich, GermanyMember Posts: 159
  • tsitsi Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2012
    hi Grogall,

did you read my post on http://www.1000steine.de/1000steine/forum2/forum_entry.php?id=241374 before?

Greetings
    ThomaS / tsi
  • GrogallGrogall Munich, GermanyMember Posts: 159
    no, funny hu! :P was looking for info to the new Architecture set 21013 and then noticed it,
  • asherkobinasherkobin Member Posts: 105
    Two days to go...the stores have them too...but won't sell until Thursday...grrr
    The box looks really nice, weird to see it vertical rather than horizontal... Funny to be standing there, looking at the box, unable to buy it, only to gaze on it...

Oh well, I have one on hold for Friday (Thursday is a busy day), so I'll get it then and probably not build it for 6 months anyway. :)
    edited February 2012
    I've noticed what look like a few new bricks in the town hall - correct me if Im wrong - but
    - are those grey 1x1 round tiles above the first floor windows?
    - are the first floor tan windowsills made from a 1x4 double curved slope?
    - the front top corners of the buliding seem to have an unusual brick in them.
    - the white window arches dont look like the usual wheelarch to me - seems like a new brick.

(the attached pic is bigger than the one on brickset so you can see more)
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,204
    The lego lady points out most of those things in the video! The new brick is a 2x1 plate with cheese (yum!) but what advantage it brings I don't know.
    Ahh OK, I watched it with the sound off as I was on the train :)
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,804
    ^ I wasn't paying any attention to what she was saying with the sound turned up!!
    ^ I wasn't paying any attention to what she was saying with the sound turned up!!
    She was talking?
  • asherkobinasherkobin Member Posts: 105
    I've noticed what look like a few new bricks in the town hall - correct me if Im wrong - but
    1- are those grey 1x1 round tiles above the first floor windows?
    2- are the first floor tan windowsills made from a 1x4 double curved slope?
    3- the front top corners of the buliding seem to have an unusual brick in them.
    4- the white window arches dont look like the usual wheelarch to me - seems like a new brick.
    1 - 2012
    2 - 2011
    3 - 2011 (http://peeron.com/inv/parts/92946)
    4 - 2012
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    Come on guys; I'm sure you think the banter is harmless, but it isn't.
    You're making some of the members very uncomfortable.
    This isn't up for discussion. It isn't up for debate.
    Keep it on-topic. Quit the macho BS. Please
    ^^ wow, never realised that! All those passed me right by ...

OK, so I took the plunge - just ordered a town hall with free shipping :o)
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,804
    edited March 2012
    ^^ Passed me right by too. [scratching head]
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    I can't wait till tomorrow! I am going to my local Legostore to pick up the town hall. woo hoo 400 points!
  • doodlebirddoodlebird Austin. Texas. Member Posts: 88
    ^yep. i'll be heading in before lunch to pick mine up. can't wait.
    aaargh, I've got to wait 'til sunday!
  • veritas313veritas313 Member Posts: 80
    I'm off to Westfield Stratford to pick mine up now - should I get the mini modulars too? Seems to be mixed reviews on this one. Comments welcome please
    hey, I just noticed that on [email protected] on the town hall page there is a movie clapperboard symbol and if you click on it you get the designers promo video INCLUDING the shots of R2D2 and the haunted house!
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    edited March 2012
    ^^ I love it, but it does seem to really be a case of personal taste.
    They have it just behind the counter in a display case (think its lit), so you can have a good look at it prior to decision.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    edited March 2012
    I'm on a business trip today, so might not be able to make it into the Westfield store :-(

@veritas, unless they've managed the production run on the mini-mods carefully, I reckon there'll be a deal to be had on it at some point (in which case I'd definitely buy it - not a view on the merits or otherwise of the set). We know it's not sold very well so far.

So I'd say Town Hall (tick); Mini Mods (hold fire)
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,433
    ^ I have the minimods and I like them. If they do steep discounts for over stock, it'll be a good way to pick up small pieces for a good price... and then maybe interchange some of the colors to make additional buildings, etc. Could be a fun little (no pun intended) project.
  • drakusdrakus Member Posts: 16
    Got mine today from the Downtown Disney store. Had $10 off coupon and $10 from VIP points so it came to $180 (+tax).
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    I have ordered one this morning on lego shop online...and I still did not get the confo...mmm
  • veritas313veritas313 Member Posts: 80
    Thanks for the opinions - but the Lego store won - and I snapped up both sets. Also got the red cargo train as that was literally jumping off the shelves into my arms!!! The best treat of the day was being given two of the grand opening store minifig sets for free!!! She just asked me if I'd made it to the store opening - which I hadn't as I'm 120 miles away and popped them in my bags!!! Amazing service and really friendly staff. Thanks Lego Stratford
    I bought mine today!! Unfortunately their server was down and could not update my VIP points.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I will say this - the Dark Orange color looks MUCH better on the TH in person than the pictures did.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^^ you should get credit manually within a few days to a week. just hold your receipt and watch your account online
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @starfire2 make sure to check. Last time they said it, I didn't get the points credited automatically as promised. So 3 weeks later I call Customer Service to have it added.
    I will, thank you.
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    @dougts Just seen this built in the stratford store the pics do not do it justic at all, far better in the "flesh" and agree the colour is really nice.