Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

SDCC 2017

Comments

• black_towrblack_towr MinnesotaMember Posts: 165
    As someone who goes to SDCC for work almost every year (sitting 2017 out) the hardest part is that folks don't understand how hard these are to get.  I always have friends who want me to pick up X or Y for them.  Generally, there's a massive line you wait in to get a number that might get called that might allow you to maybe buy that item during a specific timeframe later.  It's... not a fun experience.  That's why the markup is so crazy.  And from a work perspective, it's hard to say "well, I can't make our meeting to discuss this really big thing because I'm buying a Deadpool Duck for my buddy CM4S." 

I had been going to SDCC from 1999-2011 and yea getting exclusives is quite the process. If you've never been to SDCC go experience it. Have fun waiting in a single line for hours upon hours only to have a chance at getting something. It's a grueling task that just saps the life out of you. 
    vwong19KazJY
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,891
    Or the Cosmic Spider-Man/Iron Spider-Man/Avengers suit.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 966
    Matt89190 said:
    I've never even heard of Deadpool Duck. Which is a very good thing. I saw Homecoming today and I had a horrible feeling it would be the homemade suit or even Happy.
    I think that for a con exclusive they generally prefer a dramatically costumed hero or villain of some sort over a guy in a suit.
    Aanchir
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,366
    Russell844SumoLegostluxchuckp
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 966
    Nice, so it is Donald's head mold! On the one hand, that means there's less certainty of a regular Howard (since it's not a brand-new mold guaranteed to appear in greater quantities in the future). On the other hand, it still opens up the possibility for one, by proving that the mold isn't IP locked (or at the very least can be transposed between Disney properties).
    CM4S
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    Is this the first time TLG has worked in conjunction with Marvel to release a fig for a brand new COMIC property?  
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,891
    Lego certainly keeps us on our toes!

(I would never have guessed a Deadpool-related promotional figure, given their aversion to just about everything Deadpool embraces.)
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    So two Legends of Tomorrow characters are now exclusive. At least there will be a firestorm in a coming set. Deadpool Duck seems like the perfect thing for an exclusive though.
    gmonkey76SumoLego
  • drdesignzdrdesignz USMember Posts: 110
    There are a ton on eBay now, of course.  All "pre-sale" with a statement saying if they can't get the item you'll be refunded.  I thought that was against eBay's rules, is it not?
    CM4SMattDawsonmadforLEGO77ncaachamps
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,247
    I think eBay has a rule that you can do presales if the release is within 30 days or something like that.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,702
    With the exception of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 variant of Spidey pretty much all the other exclusives are still listed on eBay going back to the 2013 ones. Gives me hope one day I can pick these awesome exclusives up.
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 789
    I think eBay has a rule that you can do presales if the release is within 30 days or something like that.
    The problem here is that they're doing pre-sales on an item that they can't even guarantee they can deliver.

These people don't have it in hand. They still have to get in line, and try the raffle (which if Lego continues with the previous trends in how they handle these raffles, only so few of them will).
    madforLEGO
  • mh3490mh3490 NW Indiana Member Posts: 329
    Fed the animals and bought a spidey and venom set 
    Mojoest
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,423
    drdesignz said:
    There are a ton on eBay now, of course.  All "pre-sale" with a statement saying if they can't get the item you'll be refunded.  I thought that was against eBay's rules, is it not?
    Report the item to eBay. Though you may have to call them as their electronic system does not seem to have a specific topic that fits these kinds of listings.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    I participated in the drawing the past two days and was successful. I'm curious if other Bricksetters had the opportunity. Each year thousands line up for minifigures, but I guess a few dozen actually are from this community. I estimate the drawing success rate to be 75%, similar to the past few years. Minimum line wait time is about 3 hours not including time waiting before the convention opens in the morning. The Lego exclusive give away is definitely the highlight of my con each year, but like many others have expressed is something I wouldn't mind changed. As it stands since Lego offers these exclusive super hero minifigures I feel obligated to make an attempt each year often forgoing other opportunities at the con so I complete my collection.

Brickheadz exclusive opportunities are too early for my taste (before 6a) and I don't collect the theme. Not worth the effort.

It appears that the Deadpool Duck is a more desirable figure. Vixen seems like a popular character that will get a comic version release in future sets. Deadpool Duck doesn't seem remotely likely for mainstream release and is the perfect figure for SDCC.

One of the best things about the Con is meeting people who share similar interest. It is interesting hearing about their collections (not always Lego) and learning what they plan to do with the figures. Some families let their kids play with them, some sell, some keep as souvenirs, some are collectors, and some have no idea but their friends dragged them in.
    MojoestSeanTheCollectorAdeelZubairSumoLegochuckpLego_Staryys4ucatwrangler
  • DurbinDurbin Bristol England Member Posts: 2
    Right newbie here. Been collecting all the UCS Star Wars sets for a few years now.

found this forum by chance really.

obviously as a newbie it's hard to gain trust but is there a chance of anyone grabbing me a deadpool duck minifgure?

Yeah, 'similar interests', like getting figures to flip on eBay..
    Y'know as much as I loathe the knock off figures, it is stuff like a figure that is an exclusive to ONE (massively expensive) convention (and a raffle to boot, so you may spend all of that money and not even get one) that makes me seriously think about buying them for .99 cents, or whatever they would go for (which I'm guessing would be FAR less than what the actual ones would cost).

I would even understand it more if LEGO would at least make these available at other major cons around the world (or making some sort of simultaneous giveaway raffle at [email protected] for a couple of hundred folks),  but in making this a sole exclusive for a Hollywood playground that SDCC is now, well it just bugs me.
    For example, while I was massively disappointed I did not get a Batpod, at least I had a legitimate shot like everyone else that entered. I did not have to spend 1000+ dollars to get a chance at one.

Durbin said:
    Right newbie here. Been collecting all the UCS Star Wars sets for a few years now.

obviously as a newbie it's hard to gain trust but is there a chance of anyone grabbing me a deadpool duck minifgure?

There is no 'grabbing' one, it is a raffle, and given how much they go for in the secondary market, it will likely cost you dearly as well.
    Seems like #madforLEGO got mad @Durbin lol
    Durbin said:

It never hurts to ask, but trust is important in any relationship and newbies need to earn it.
    77ncaachamps
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    I think the trust issue is far less a factor here than just underestimating the sheer effort and difficulty involved in obtaining a figure even by those people who attend SDCC. I can't believe it is possible to stand in line for three hours then still be unlucky enough to not get a figure. But it is, sadly. And in that time you've missed out on other panels and events. 

I don't like that certain characters have been made exclusive but I'm pleased for those who have been able to get the figures at the event over the years because I understand you've invested time and money in doing so. 

stluxMattDawsonMooreFXmadforLEGOMegtheCatAanchir
    FYI. Vixen is likely going to go cheap on eBay soon. I see little interest based on line waiting for this figure today based on reports from people in line. Prepare for people flipping it for whatever.
    Bumblepantschuckp
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    Have the run of the sdcc minifigures the last few years been around 1500?
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,415
    For me: Vixen > Deadpool Duck.

I get the price discrepancy and why it exists, but Vixen looks phenomenal while Deadpool Duck looks plain stupid... in my humble opinion.
    oldtodd33Bumblepantspharmjodchuckpyys4uPitfall69
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,623
    ^ I have to agree with you on this. 
    Personally I was expecting a bigger price discrepancy between the spidey venom brickheadz and the supergirl Martian manhunter with spidy set being way more but that doesn't appear to be the case 
  • rampantsullyrampantsully The Emirates Stadium Member Posts: 76
    Bit the bullet and coughed up a fair few quid for a deadpool duck, never been tempted by the SDDCfigures before.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    $200 plus for a minifig? Supply and demand. Spent $3 on a fake. Looks the same. Just won't touch it without a hazmat suit.
  • legoleppylegoleppy MarylandMember Posts: 76
    As most, if not all of you know, you could have re-tweeted a Lego tweet to be entered in a raffle for the 2 SDCC  mini figs. Well, I won the Vixen! I have no clue who she is so the only reason I would keep her would be to say I won an exclusive minifig.  I'm just wondering how these fair in the after market? 
    vwong19Bumblepantskhmellymelchuckpsidersdd
    legoleppy said:
    As most, if not all of you know, you could have re-tweeted a Lego tweet to be entered in a raffle for the 2 SDCC  mini figs. Well, I won the Vixen! I have no clue who she is so the only reason I would keep her would be to say I won an exclusive minifig.  I'm just wondering how these fair in the after market? 
    Congrats! Vixen is at about $140 on eBay right now and that price will continue to drop. So if you're looking to sell, sell now rather than later!
  • playwellplaywell UKMember Posts: 2,218
    Do we think Deadpool will drop or go up, it is an odd duck.
    madforLEGO
    DD is a massive waste but people will pay for silly one offs like that I just don't get it. The brickheadz tho I gotta admit got my Spider-Man and venom today and they are impressive prolly the best set in my opinion of the brickheadz and still going (cheap) for around $100 shipped 
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,714
    Deadpool Duck is, no offense to everyone who likes him, stupid. The Brickheadz though...amazing!
    SMC said:
    Do we think Deadpool will drop or go up, it is an odd duck.
    Drop. It has been 6 years and the trend never changes on the prices dropping consistently over several weeks post-con.
    SumoLego
  • legoleppylegoleppy MarylandMember Posts: 76
    I saw the prices which doesn't mean much to me as I do not want to make $$ off of this. I am just trying to get a feeler out there. If someone really has a connection to her I'd be up for a trade or I'll hold onto her for the story I can pass to my 2 year old about a great company. Thanks for the responses. 
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    Hold onto it unless you need the 100 bucks, the memory of it will far outlast whatever you spend that 100 bucks on
    Chubbles said:
    Hold onto it unless you need the 100 bucks, the memory of it will far outlast whatever you spend that 100 bucks on
    Or you can look at it as the memory is all you need; not the figure.
  • rampantsullyrampantsully The Emirates Stadium Member Posts: 76
    The way I see it is, I wanted it, could afford it so I bought it, yeah I could wait a while and save a few quid but I couldn't be asked. And there's always the slight possibility it could go up.
    vwong19
    I WON A DEADPOOL DUCK TOO... talk about a lesson in karma placed a bid just for giggles on ebay and and it ended up as the winning bid iam now the proud (dammit I can't believe I bought this) new owner of a dead duck I mean deadpool duck 
    Mojoestvwong19Bumblepants77ncaachampsDrmnezSirBen

The not so glamorous Lego line at Comic Con a few hundred people behind the beginning of the line. The line then stretches over a quarter mile out the convention center northwest. 
    Hall H is much worse. 
    stluxyys4u
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,623
    ^ That makes spending 200.00 on a figure look like it's completely worth it. 
    stluxthedingman5Pitfall69BumblepantsSeanTheCollector77ncaachampsJohnyk668pharmjod
    I'm not justifying the price, but to give some insight in case some want to attend Comic Con for obtaining these Lego exclusives. I believe Lego is representative of many other exclusives and panels that SDCC offers. Despite the long line and wait, i would do it again for the chance to get one.
    77ncaachamps
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 631
    I have made my purchases from the sellers on eBay for this years exclusives. And am very happy. I see the price paid (including postage and import duty) as a easy choice between being in the UK and actually able to get SDCC exclusives, against having to travel to SDCC, pay all the travel costs, queue, and may be lucky to get what I want.

Easy choice for me, and I personally think the guys who manage to get the exclusives and sell them on eBay are doing a great service for the rest of the collecting community.
    I remember getting a note in one lot saying "Thank you for your purchase, you are helping support my family".
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    Fireheart said:
    I have made my purchases from the sellers on eBay for this years exclusives. And am very happy. I see the price paid (including postage and import duty) as a easy choice between being in the UK and actually able to get SDCC exclusives, against having to travel to SDCC, pay all the travel costs, queue, and may be lucky to get what I want.

Easy choice for me, and I personally think the guys who manage to get the exclusives and sell them on eBay are doing a great service for the rest of the collecting community.
    I remember getting a note in one lot saying "Thank you for your purchase, you are helping support my family".
    Spot on. The sale and profit from it helps offset the expenses from their trip as well.

However, being from California, the close proximity ($59 flight) is what cools me on the price! Makes total sense if you're from across the pond!
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 599
    Fireheart said:

It's definitely a pain to get exclusives and to sell, but it hopefully pays off on hotel stay, food, and convention.  It costs roughly $300 a night for a stay in the Gaslamp area, throw in an extra $50-100 per food per day. So that's $1200 for hotel alone not inclusive of tax, $250-500 of food, $260 for the tix.  Does one have to sell exclusives?  no, but if you want to recoup some or all your costs, it's definitely a route to go.  I actually didn't presell or sell a single exclusive this year.  Not sure if I will, but I was just there to grab what I needed and help out others I was with.  

That lego line on Saturday was nuts.  We lined up at 9:30...the con opens up at 9.  So at 9:30 we were down by the Marriott pool.  It was crazy.  we barely made it to the line, and I lost. hahaha.  But It was either that or risk chancing to get into Hall H for marvel...which was crazy impossible unless you were there early.

Woohoo! I just found out a friend got me a Deadpool Duck. I only owe him $100 for it. He also got me both the Justice League and Thor LEGO posters, and both the Ninjago Movie and Big Bang Theory bags. Happy dance!
    Bumblepants77ncaachampsbandit778vwong19MynattkhmellymelLego_StarLegogramchuckp
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 599
    Woohoo! I just found out a friend got me a Deadpool Duck. I only owe him $100 for it. He also got me both the Justice League and Thor LEGO posters, and both the Ninjago Movie and Big Bang Theory bags. Happy dance!

Niiiice!!  Good wins Russell!!!

I really wanted to grab the JL and Thor posters from the booth but I didn't get a chance to grab a poster tube to wrap them in.  They're super nice IMO.  

Oh and for those asking about whether the Deadpool Duck will drop in price from here - It will, but not by much.  I don't see it going below $190.  And then it will shoot back up after a $190 lull for a couple months.

Vixen is a different story.  But Deadpool Duck will have more staying power b/c of the new comic, Deadpool and Howard the Duck.  Those two have a huge fan base.

• 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    Did Dan Veesenmeyer do the poster art?
  • addemlitaddemlit CaliforniaMember Posts: 118
    I've been trying to sway people to $200 for Deadpool Duck on eBay, no dice. 
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    My vixen, Deadpool duck, and brickheadz sets all come in tomorrow. I'm excited

I have a different friend that got me one of these prints, signed.

bandit778CM4SstluxMynatt77ncaachampscatwranglerAdeelZubair