Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

UCS falcon rumours (that turned out to be true!)

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,364
    edited July 2017
    UCS Snowspeeder designer teases with this comment at the end of his new "sets I designed" bricklist: 

BRICKLIST NOTES
    As I left Star Wars to work on another project, this was the last retail model I worked on. The next UCS for 2018 will be coming soon

(Edit: comment comes from the AT-ST, hence the retail set reference)

So the next one is in 2018?! Hmmmm
    SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,909
    CM4S said:
    Here is a better picture of the Falcon from the Rathtar box - doesn't look LEGO to me

That's clearly a friction pin.  UCS MF Modular?
    Mynattsid3windrdavetheoxygenmanBartelasmustang69
  • BartelasBartelas Hiking Into Mordor Member Posts: 130
    SumoLego said:
    CM4S said:
    Here is a better picture of the Falcon from the Rathtar box - doesn't look LEGO to me

That's clearly a friction pin.  UCS MF Modular?
    Hell yeah!
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 867
    edited July 2017
    CCC said:
    You have to be careful not to read too much into what is in the background or box art. They'll use whatever art they are using at the time.

For example, this TIE fighter is clearly OT, as we have Vader on the packet:

So this one must be EP I:

But this one is Ep II / clone wars

And these are all the same set!

This is not a mistake. It is a spoiler for the true plot of Episode VIII. It's a stealth reboot of Back to the Future in the Star Wars universe. It's been planned for over a decade. Crazy Doc Skywalker built a time machine -- out of a TIE Fighter?!?! -- and he is sending Rey back in time to prevent Kylo Ren from being born. The time machine modifications turn the First Order Red into what were they thinking blue. So she has to stop Han and Leia from falling in love. However, the time machine overshoots, and Rey ends up back on Naboo with Anakin and Padme falling in love. The dialogue drives her nuts, along with the weird age difference once R2 explains how they first met.  So Rey kidnaps Anakin and takes him back ten years to Tatooine. Young Anakin is replaced by rebellious teen Anakin, who suddenly makes a lot more sense flying a podracer and a starship, and also makes a LOT more sense developing a crush on Padme. Rey then breaks the Fourth Wall to transport old George Lucas and young Jake Lloyd to an alternate universe where they do the prequels we got, and Steven Spielberg comes in to direct the Prequels in our universe, with screenplay doctoring by Robert Zemcikis and Bob Gale. Much better trilogy, even if the climactic Obi-wan and Anakin battle in the Old West seems a bit out of place...

BooTheMightyHamsterMatt89190M_Bosssid3windrGoldchainsmustang69dmcc0
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,709
    That can't be right. No mention of Jar Jar Binks?
    The 'Mr. Fusion' runs only on blue milk.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,949
    "Blue Fusion!" Or is that Beyoncé's latest kid?
    CM4SGoldchainsmustang69
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 867
    CCC said:
    That can't be right. No mention of Jar Jar Binks?
    Honestly, Jar Jar can stay. Pretty sure that rebellious teen Anakin needs him to balance out his edginess.

Though then again the whole Gungan subplot could really just go and not be missed.  But I actually could live with jar jar as a one off. 
    Just a quick question for the f of it: How much would y'all pay for the falcon? Like what's the most you would pay? 
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,345
    Bartelas said:
    Just a quick question for the f of it: How much would y'all pay for the falcon? Like what's the most you would pay? 
    Hmm.. depends if it's good.

If it's 10179 with a new cockpit piece and an interior, no.

If it's a brand new model with fun features and the figures are exclusive (meaning at LEAST a new face for Rey and Finn) then I might.

I've got the money and I'm willing to spend it but it really needs to be GOOD and WORTH IT.

This is going to be the most expensive set ever with the most pieces ever so they have to make it amazing..
    Mynattgmonkey76Mr_CrossYodalicious
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 584
    ^And plenty of explosions behind the model on the box.
    gmonkey76CM4SYodaliciousVorpalRyu
  • drdesignzdrdesignz USMember Posts: 104
    Before I came back from the dark ages, one day, I walked into a Toys R Us for the first time in a couple decades, just out of curiosity.  I saw the UCS Falcon.  And it may have even been on sale, I forget.  I just remember thinking, who would ever spend this much money on a toy?  Pffft...  I'd certainly pay that now.  But that's not to say I'll spend that much or more on the next one.  There are many factors to consider.
    Mr_Crosssid3windr
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,162
    ^ ^ Totally agree. The over-enthusiastic Lego spaceman that lives somewhere in my head is happily shouting "Falcon, Falcon, Falcon!".
    I think I partially want the new Falcon, irrespective of parts, design etc. because it's Star Wars, but that's a personal weakness and one I'd only succumb to if the price was very, very good on a deal some time very much in the future.
    I have 10179, so this new iteration will really need to WOW! me. If the differences are minimal, even visually, as with the system scale x-wings and snowspeeders I will struggle justify it to myself let alone convincing my better half.
    The suggested rrp of circa £600 is a bit steep for me tbh. Buying it would feel a bit like stealing the shirts off my kids' backs!
  • Habitant99Habitant99 FloridaMember Posts: 99
    I think it does really have to bring something different to the table.  I would love 10179, I don't have it and won't, but I would hope this one goes in some slightly different directions.  I think that when the designers take "inspiration" from previous sets and go in new directions with new techniques and approaches, we get rewarded - i.e. the new Snowspeeder set.  But if it's a slight rehash, with maybe 3% differences (new cockpit, multiple dishes, etc) then it would feel like they really just punted the set to get something out there (i.e. insult on Hoth.)
    CM4SPitfall69bandit778Bartelas

I bet my ass, that this one is going to be available with the purchase of the Falcon
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,345
    Bartelas said:

I bet my ass, that this one is going to be available with the purchase of the Falcon
    I think something SW related will be released alongside.
    FollowsCloselygmonkey76
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^ Exclusive Lando polybag?

Similar to Classic Mr. Freeze with Classic Batcave. 
    SumoLegogmonkey76madforLEGO
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,709

He was free with any order over £50 in UK.
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 971
    Well, BB-8 isn't UCS, so logically, the chances of a UCS Falcon in 2017 just increased a little.....
    BartelasCM4SFollowsClosely
    Lobot said:
    Well, BB-8 isn't UCS, so logically, the chances of a UCS Falcon in 2017 just increased a little.....
    Time to partey!
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 828
    edited July 2017
    UCS style BB-8 looks awesome https://www.exoforce.ru/serii-lego/star-wars?page=3 :-D
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,330
    There's no UCS label on the box, but it comes with a UCS plaque. So a little early to start partying?
    stlux said:
    There's no UCS label on the box, but it comes with a UCS plaque. So a little early to start partying?
    That's actually a system-scale plaque; smaller and just a little blockier than UCS!
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 852
    edited July 2017
    Lobot said:
    stlux said:
    That's actually a system-scale plaque; smaller and just a little blockier than UCS!
    Obviously superior to UCS plaques, since it doesn't use stickers. ;)
  • Matt89190Matt89190 UKMember Posts: 305
    UCS BB-8 is magnificent, but I can barely afford the Falcon as it is, and if I got BB-8, I'd have to get R2, and having just looked at the prices for an R2 on BL..... anyone feel like buying a kidney?
    Lobot said:
    stlux said:
    Partey!
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    CCC said:

He was free with any order over £50 in UK.
    Yes. Same here. But he came out around the same time as the similarly themed set was my point. 
    madforLEGO
  • GremerGremer The Commonwealth of VirginiaMember Posts: 183
    Eurobricks Moderators are back at it again after Sir von Lego posted some info on the 2018 sets. This is getting more ridiculous every time haha.

'Everything will change once the 2018 SW thread will come out'. 

How come that Eurobricks is more popular than let's say this forum? Serious question. From my understanding Brickset is the most used site when it comes to information, but EB is always mentioned when people talk about a forum. Is it because this part of the site looks like it's stuck in 2010 (personal opinion, don't mind it that much)? If Brickset can make some sort of overlap with the news/collection part of the site than you can have the most complete Lego fansite anyone can wish for.
    For me, even though I hate Eurobricks and their moderation, I still go over there because that's where all the leakers are. SvL, Delta Customs, etc. Also, mentions of new pictures are usually posted there first as well.
  • Matt89190Matt89190 UKMember Posts: 305
    With regards to the Falcon, I realised something I'd really like to see from it the other day: a Death-Star-Style comprehensive fig lineup - ANH Luke, Leia, Han and Kenobi, ESB Luke, Leia, Han, Lando and (the man the myth the legend) Nien Nunb from ROTJ, and then all TFA figs as well: Rey, Finn, Old Han, BB-8. Only one each of Chewy, R2 and 3-PO would be necessary, as they never change (except for the infamous Red Arm).

Probably just wishful thinking, and I'll happily take the rumoured ESB figs + TFA/TLJ ones, but we need a Nien Nunb, dammit!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=-bfA8Nk0LSU&ebc=ANyPxKp8d-tdqxKERVfbaVPnoRb5BYlW4-COihvr6ETNRooQ1K9B2RT9CK-UautBiiucGAY4gmj5QzE5fWZzEcXpnLHDNSM3vw

(Not a meme, move along)
  • Habitant99Habitant99 FloridaMember Posts: 99
    Matt89190 said:
    but we need a Nien Nunb, dammit!
    #MakeSullustanGreatAgain

We got a decent Ten Numb, what does poor Nien need to do, people?!  "Oh, but he's only Nien, the other one is Ten."  He helped blow up Death Star 2.0!

I've just stumbled across this representation of the falcon. It's from the 40 Year anniversary video of Star Wars that LEGO did and it has some minor changes compared to 10179. I just hope they kick themselves in the a** and actually redesign the new one, instead of releasing something like the one above. I don't want another let down like the "new" Death Star.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,113
    ^ I may have to eat my words, but I think that your possibly gonna be disappointed.
    I get the feeling that if and when it arrives, apart from updated minifigures and maybe a few cosmetic tweaks, that we will be seeing much the same as what has come before.

I really hope not, and I honestly have no idea, but that is what I personally think is coming.
    Out of curiosity, what would people like to be different about a new UCS Millennium Falcon? I am intending to publish an article on the subject within the next couple of weeks so would welcome any suggestions.

Personally, I am hoping for the following:
    • An improved cockpit - The brick-built cockpit on #10179 is great but I would rather see something a little more accurate, complete with glass. The 10x5 half cone seen in #70616 Ice Tank looks as though it would be the perfect shape, as initially suggested by @CM4S I believe. Hopefully the cockpit interior will be a little more detailed too.
    • Interior lounge area - I suspect a fully furnished interior will be too much to ask but I would like to see a removable hull section so you could access the lounge. That would give the designers a good opportunity to re-use the printed dejarik element and certain details have always been left out in previous sets. Smuggling compartments would of course be great too.
    • Movable quad laser cannon turrets - I would love to be able to move the turrets on the outside of the model and see the seats moving inside, a little like the tow cable harpoon on #75144 Snowspeeder. Ideally, the seats would be accessible so you could place minifigures inside.
    • An alternative rectenna - This is an obvious one but I think the inclusion of both circular and rectangular rectenna dishes is a necessity.
    • More minifigures - This is the least important potential improvement from my point of view but more minifigures would be welcome. Perhaps Han, Chewbacca, Luke, Obi-Wan, Leia, C-3PO, R2-D2 could be included from Episode IV. Lando (Rebel General), Nien Nunb, Airen Cracken and Lieutenant Blount could be included from Episode VI and then Rey, Finn, BB-8 and an older Han Solo from The Force Awakens.
    An improved "shell" of the Falcon. The old one had too many (non intended) holes on top.

Then one point I myself found very disturbing: 10179 was too symetrical regarding the details. "A piece of crap" shouldn't be like that  xD

@CapnRex101 -

1. Improved cockpit; it was the only main weak point of 10179.  I'd like to see a glass canopy with outer 'skeleton' greebling rather than a printed design.  The rear plates on the back of the corridor section also looked a bit of a mess, and could do with some attention

2. Fixing the top plates at the rear of the set (e.g. directly above the rigging parts) as they didn't fit neatly, and refused to stay level!

3. Illuminated engines, cockpit, and the marker lights on the front mandibles.

4. Ideally I'd like TLG to focus on the exterior; for the rumoured RRP it needs to be the Ultimate display model, not compromised by 'play features' (e.g. 10221).  However, a decent Gunner's chair would be a vast improvement.....

5.  The landing feet were also a bit fragile; it was difficult to align the 4L Bars correctly and they kept falling off with annoying frequency!

bandit778waynlewis
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,392
    ^ illuminated engines is a great call.
    while some interior would be nice as a display model it wouldn't mean a great deal (visible cockpit aside). But getting some power functions in there that light up the engines would be great. They managed PF with the Helicarrier so not beyond silly as an idea and would really make it stand out from past models.
    personally don't mind what dish it comes with, but a good spread of figures is a must. I would love to see figures covering all 4 films the ship appears in.
    Lobotwaynlewiscatwrangler
    @Lobot
    Totally agree about the cockpit. The Falcon only has sections of glass visible in the top half of the cockpit and to have just a 1 piece cockpit for a UCS build (even if printed all over) wouldn't seem right. Personally I'd be happy with something that looks like like the old Kenner play set, but combines brick built and a half cone with either printing or greebling to make the window frames would be nice.

Fixing the engines and surrounding areas full stop would be good, I always thought they looked clunky and have seen far better versions modified on the original. Would also like to see some modern techniques to fill the gaps in the top hull and make it a more complete.

And as were talking wish list stuff, some major greebling on the underside and a decent stand with removable or retractable landing legs so it can be displayed in flight as the ship looks at its best flying, not sat on a the ground (I do appreciate that this would probably add a couple of hundred or more to the price but we were asked what we would like). :)

As for the minifig selection, I would go for Leia in either Hoth gear or escaping Cloud City clothes, Han in Bespin blue jacket, Chewie with a removable breathing mask, Dirty and battle scarred R2 with printing on both front and back, 3P0 with net bag and removable limbs, Lando with his blue cape, Luke in battle damaged Bespin gear and just for kicks throw in Lando in his generals uniform, Nien Numb and who ever gets to fly her in The Last Jedi as there probably won't be a film appropriate release if the UCS set comes out.

Lobot
  • MrKettleMrKettle OxfordshireMember Posts: 137
    I do not own 10179 so I cannot make a comparison, I can only go from what I have seen and read about other people's experiences. That said...

I'd like a model with hidden play features, Slave 1 or Sandcrawler being great examples here. They look fantastic, enough to make non Lego fans say 'wow!' But they have some great hidden features so you can do more than just admire it as is the case with Tie Fighter. 

I would like some sort of detailed interior but it wouldn't have to be throughout. Just the main room with a few corridors and smugglers hatch/ maintenance area maybe. 

Thinking about it, the opening that Landon pops out of at the end of ESB would be great.

i have heard people who own it say that it is quite fragile, on the whole I think Lego are much better at making more stable models now but I'll mention this as a comparison to 10179.

finally, obviously, No Stickers. I am sure Lego think they add a great level of detail but if I am paying upwards of £700 for this thing then I do not want a sticker sheet. Hell I want the instructions to come in their own leather bound volume for that money actually. 

Oh and sausages. Just randomly placed tbh. 
    Lobotsid3windrcatwranglersnowhitie
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,634
    How about a Rathtar suckered to the outside of a new cockpit piece?
    bandit778starwars4everLobot
    How about a Rathtar suckered to the outside of a new cockpit piece?
    As long as it disintegrates when you pretend the ships gone into hyperspace I think that would be a nice touch. :)
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,775
    Rectenna - Sounds like it should be used as some kind of probe... ;-)
    Bumblepants
    ^^ Stabilizing boosters would be helpful.
    MaffyD
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 584
    MrKettle said:

finally, obviously, No Stickers. I am sure Lego think they add a great level of detail but if I am paying upwards of £700 for this thing then I do not want a sticker sheet. Hell I want the instructions to come in their own leather bound volume for that money actually. 
    To follow up on this, as I wrote previously, I would love it if the black information display panel was printed. It's a small detail but one I wish all UCS sets had. 

For the instructions, I hope that they do not come spiral bound like the SSD and Death Star. I enjoy the recent way the books have been made and hope it's not like the previous large sets.

As for power functions, I think I'd pass as none of the other UCS sets have them and I can't recall the last time I have hooked up power functions with any sets (carnival sets for example)

For the cockpit I would enjoy to see a brick built one as I do enjoy the one from 10179 and can't help but feel that using a one piece one with a print would just be to easy. Though at the same time I don't think it would look too bad if it was one piece, just prefer brick built.

And because why not, for the first 5000 sold for there to be a limited edition cardboard space slug included.
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 941
    As minifigures go, I would like an original Jabba... you know, the big guy that did not make the original cut of ANH and got replaced by a slug in the SE? :-D

An as we are at it, why not a Lando in Han Solo costume... you know what I am talking about ;-)
    I think the minifigures should be all dudes.  Even the hairy one and the metal one.
    BumblepantsMr_Crossgmonkey76Rainstorm26Jennimonstblitz
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,364
    SumoLego said:
    I think the minifigures should be all dudes.  Even the hairy one and the metal one.
    Total sausage fest in there.
    gmonkey76SumoLego
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 941
    SumoLego said:
    Total sausage fest in there.
    Is it not what several people have been asking for? A lot sausages?
    Mr_Cross