Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Stuff Like This Makes Me Slowly Lose Faith in Humanity

2»

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,394
    He didn't understand anyway - it is not a video game. It looks like a standard type of response. Scan an email and send a reply that doesn't answer the question.

They have a connection to it, as they published it on their website.
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,804
    I thought that was really well done and my son enjoyed it too. I am not the biggest fan of the videos where they actually set fire or totally flatten Lego (or anything else), although it gives cool effects I don't like the waste.

This video is just really clever and okay it falls down, but I'm assuming most bricks would survive that fall, otherwise Lego's quality really is going downhill!

Love how the use microfighters in it too :)
    stlux
  • Matt89190Matt89190 UKMember Posts: 273
    I received a reply from Christopher at LEGO Service, he could not find the video and asked for a link, which I sent him. Awaiting the next reply...

My email to LEGO:
    I just watched the Rube Goldberg Death Star destroyer video on your website. I really enjoyed the video, but it seems to be causing some friends of mine concern because it is "destroying" the Lego sets. I told them they are being silly, as the sets are just being disassembled very rapidly and could be rebuilt over and over. That really only holds true if all the parts survived unbroken, so I'm curious - could a "No Lego bricks were harmed in the making of this video" message be honestly added tothis video, or did some parts really get broken? 

The reply:

Dear Robert,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

We are so lucky to have such loyal fans like you and your fans!!!! I apologize for the concern that your friends have experienced due to the video you all saw. I was not able to find the video via Google search and wonder if you would be willing to send it to us via link. Without knowing the video I cannot state with certainty that we have any connection with the video.

You may remind your friends that even when a LEGO® minifigure/character meets some doom in a video game, they do not actually meet an end...they are rebuilt.

We look forward to hearing from you soon with the link.

Have an awesome day!

This is brilliant! I can't decide if my favourite part is that we're your fans, or the reassurances of the characters' "deaths" in video games.
    sid3windr
  • EvilTwinEvilTwin UKMember Posts: 103
    I bet OK Go could have done a better version
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,431
    Second reply from Lego:

Dear Robert,

Thanks for getting back to us.

While I would absolutely love to be able to say that no LEGO® bricks were harmed in the making of that video I do not think that would be an accurate statement.

While I am not able to discern any broken bricks while viewing the video considering the way they are being used it would be unrealistic to imagine that none broke upon smashing. We make our bricks as strong as possible and adhere to very strict quality regulations but this is extraordinary circumstances in which the bricks are not being used as intended.

I am sorry the video upset some of your friends though, it was only intended as a way to bring the LEGO Star Wars story to life using the sets that so many of our fans are familiar with. Please let them know that the Stormtroopers survived none worse for the wear, though some did suffer some battle wounds and are expected to make a full recovery!

The Death Star did not survive, but that aligns very well with the plot of the movies! I hope you enjoyed our version of the destruction of the ultimate weapon! If you enjoyed that video you may also like this one, which shows a crash test of the LEGO Porsche!

If you have any further questions, or if there is anything else at all we can help you with, please let us know.   

catwranglersid3windr
    ^So glad those Stormtroopers made a full recovery.

In all seriousness though, this is my problem with this video - "the bricks are not being used as intended" - and as a result, are potentially broken. I am all for innovation and using things for new purposes, but this is just a very wasteful use of the bricks we all love.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 977
    ^ WORD!  When TLG openly state they're not using them for their intended purpose, they sure as heck shouldn't be promoting it. 
    sid3windr
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,244
    think of the stormtroopers. they have families too. or do they?
    SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,601
    I suppose clones are family?
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 100
    that's such a cool video. I would have loved to be involved in it.
    SumoLego said:
    I suppose clones are family?
    I think only the first few generations of Stormies were clones. The Empire phased them out pretty quick due to their shorter lifespan. By the time of ANH, I don't think there are any cloned Stormtroopers left at all.

Meaning the ones we see here could well have family somewhere, which is why I'm super glad they assured us of their recovery.

I might send them a little get well soon card.
    sid3windrgmonkey76
  • M_BossM_Boss Houston, TexasMember Posts: 229
    If you don't like the first video than definitely don't watch the end of this one: https://youtu.be/ifQrRRbmIks
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,868
    It would have been even better if they could have rigged some M80s inside the death star and had them explode before impact. Total carnage just to stress people out even more.