Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,933
    (I suspect there is only a finite about of unsubstantiated speculation in the Forum.)
    SprinkleOtterVorpalRyustluxsid3windrAanchircatwrangler
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,258
    I'm still "reselling" but mots of my business was always outside of the realm of recently discontinued sets. 

The small part of my reselling that I did do with that I've since closed down.

Too many hands in the cookie jar these days.
    SumoLegoMAGNINOMINISUMBRAIceCreamCloneBumblepantsdougtsFollowsCloselyJackad7
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 986
    ^Ditto. Plus every time I start feeling speculative, I look at my pile of Tower Bridges.
    SumoLegomadforLEGOBumblepantsdougtsFollowsClosely
    And Sydney Opera Houses...
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    ^Ditto. Plus every time I start feeling speculative, I look at my pile of Tower Bridges.
    SumoLego said:
    As do I. Then I think "Eeh. Part out."
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 997
    wait...what...there's a reseller's market?   I heard of that once, but I thought it was just folk legend!
    VorpalRyuBumblepantsJackad7catwrangler
    SumoLego said:
    My pile of Tower Bridges was high enough that I didn't even look at SOH's.
    My pile of Tower Bridges was acquired instead of a pile of Imperial Flagships nearly three times the size!   Talk about zigging when I should have zagged :(

SprinkleOtter said:
    SNIP
    As do I. Then I think "Eeh. Part out."
    I look at them and think my rail bridge when I FINALLY get around to a permanent display is going to look pretty damn awesome! 
    SumoLegoFollowsClosely
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,806
    SumoLego said:
    Did anyone notice that the UCS Sandcrawler and the Fairground Mixer disappeared from the [email protected] website?

I also notice the UCS MF has disappeared too.
    ^ Funny guy!

It stuck me as odd - the [email protected] website normally harnesses those clicks from folks looking for retired sets.  But, they don't have a state-of-the-art site...
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,943
    @SumoLego
    Might just be a glitch on the US side as still showing as a retired product on the UK site.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    Besides the downturn in small time reselling, it's also summer. And this thread is notoriously slow during the summer. People are at the beach. If this thread is dead when the busy season starts in Oct, we'll then that's a different story.
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    prevere said:
    Besides the downturn in small time reselling, it's also summer. And this thread is notoriously slow during the summer. People are at the beach. If this thread is dead when the busy season starts in Oct, we'll then that's a different story.
    If they're at the beach, they brought their phones- my store is busier than usual!
    prevere
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    That is a good point. Mobile selling continues to grow exponentially. Problem is sometimes people aren't paying attention to the details.
    SprinkleOtter
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    I have three Tower Bridges in the closet. That's two more than I should have purchased.
    SumoLegoMAGNINOMINISUMBRA
    Better proposition for profit margin - three Tower Bridges or one UCS B-Wing?  
    SprinkleOtter
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,351
    SumoLego said:
    Better proposition for profit margin - three Tower Bridges or one UCS B-Wing?  
    I think that is an unfair question with an answer that will likely change as the years go on. Right now? is the B Wing a better bet? yes, but IMO only because LEGO had it for 50% off. Anyone buying one at retail likely is having a harder time selling it for a great profit. Once Tower bridge does go away, and the UCS Bwing could be made again, the TB may still do better in the long run. It is just how much patience do you have with it.
    I'm not convinced that the Tower Bridge will ever go away.  In three to four years, they could add some explosions to the box art and add a zombie polybag as a giveway.

I don't see too many buyers out there for UCS B-Wings...
    SprinkleOtterJackad7Rainstorm26prevereVorpalRyuIceCreamClonedavetheoxygenmanMrJacksonsnowhitie
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 493
    Careful - Londoners are having to cope with terrorist incidents and a Tower Block going up in flames with many deaths. And we had a bomb in Manchester. Explosions may not  be an appropriate addition to any box art.
    Dad
    edited June 2017
    ^ Alright - making silly zombie apocalypse jokes.  Because it is a zombie set that will never be retired.  Also making a SW box art joke - as every SW box has excessive explosions.  Let's not be so literal.
    SprinkleOtterJackad7madforLEGOsid3windrVorpalRyunicoyagomez
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 493
    Moving on. Has anyone used 2 Tower Bridge sets to make a proper model of the real thing?
    SumoLego
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 335
    On a side note, I'm still trying to work in my tower bridge into my layout. I think I'm going to put train tracks on it.

Any thoughts?? 
  • DeeC2_JoshDeeC2_Josh SoCal Member Posts: 64
    Has anyone else noticed on shop.lego they have sets #75165 and #75162 with the retiring soon label? 
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,195
    Complain about no retirement news, and [email protected] delivers!

In Europe [email protected] is still trying to move the last of the retired Nexo Knight, Ninjago and Angry Birds sets, but on the US side a whole new bunch of sets got the Retiring Soon tag slapped on.

This includes most (all?) of Super Hero Girls wave 1, some Friends/City/Minecraft sets, SW and SH microfighters, and a train: #60098 Heavy Haul Train.

#76052 Classic Batcave seems the only set listed as Retiring Soon on both [email protected] US and EU.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,834
    Between all the sales and getting a retirement label so soon you have to think the Superhero Girls line fell severely below expectations. Seems like Lego invested pretty heavy into it with a number of new parts, colors, and prints.

I know it is a small sample size but my girls love Elves and like most Friends sets but have never taken a second glance at any of these. Maybe it is just a lack of exposure to the IP though.

Will be interesting to see if any of the subsequent waves get the Ultra Agents second year treatment and disappear before they have really even been out.
    On a side note, I'm still trying to work in my tower bridge into my layout. I think I'm going to put train tracks on it.

Any thoughts?? 
    The original doesn't, but mod as you like.
    I suppose the proof is whether there is a substantial influx of wave two product.  Although Lego does pull the plug on themes rather quickly if they don't perform.

Particularly if they are licensed rather than an in-house theme.

I'd also be interested to know how well the Disney Palace Pets are selling.
    Even at the sales prices the Superhero Girls sets don't seem worth it to me. My daughter prefers the Elves sets and some Friends too, and doesn't ever look at the Superhero Girls sets either. I don't think the Disney Palace Pets are that great either. I'd never invest in them or buy them for my daughter.

• wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    I've moved away from most unopened stock.  I am still doing toy shows and selling mostly 100% complete used sets and they are moving very well.  I find that if you build a reputation as a seller who the buyer can count on the sets being complete and clean, that they might rather pay less for a used copy than a premium for an unopened version if they are going to build it anyway.  

I always laugh at shows when guys who don't normally sell lego have the latest 50% of Chima stuff from Wal-Mart on thier tables for RRP.  Invariably they always come to my tables at the end of the show and try to sell it to me because they had no idea that they were buying garbage, they just saw cheap lego and decided to try and get in on the action.  As these people fall by the wayside, the market will stabelize.
    BumblepantsSprinkleOtterSumoLegopharmjodYodalicious
    wagnerml2 said:
    I've moved away from most unopened stock.  I am still doing toy shows and selling mostly 100% complete used sets and they are moving very well.  I find that if you build a reputation as a seller who the buyer can count on the sets being complete and clean, that they might rather pay less for a used copy than a premium for an unopened version if they are going to build it anyway.  

I always laugh at shows when guys who don't normally sell lego have the latest 50% of Chima stuff from Wal-Mart on thier tables for RRP.  Invariably they always come to my tables at the end of the show and try to sell it to me because they had no idea that they were buying garbage, they just saw cheap lego and decided to try and get in on the action.  As these people fall by the wayside, the market will stabelize.
    "I got 43 Fangar Something or others I'll sell ya. $80 each. That is a steal right there."
    FollowsCloselywagnerml2
    I know you're joking @Bumblepants but I hope you're REALLY joking!

@Farmer_John FWIW Sadly I was nearly 4 times as excited as you were about the Tower Bridge (and for some reason expected it to be gone quicker than the Imperial Flagship). 

As far as B wings go, they were rare as Hens Teeth in Oz (pretty sure I never saw them at any sort of discount at retail) and I've only seen them a few times in collections. It certain doesn't pack a punch display wise though I wonder if that's entirely due to source material? 
    wagnerml2 said:
    I always laugh at shows when guys who don't normally sell lego have the latest 50% of Chima stuff from Wal-Mart on thier tables for RRP.
    "I got 43 Fangar Something or others I'll sell ya. $80 each. That is a steal right there."
    I got some rare Chima Speedorz!  Only $12.00 apiece!
    SprinkleOtterdatsunrobbiewagnerml2
    wagnerml2 said:
    I always laugh at shows when guys who don't normally sell lego have the latest 50% of Chima stuff from Wal-Mart on thier tables for RRP.
    Chima has provided some of my best sellers! Mind you, I think I paid 10% RRP for the best seller, Whirling Vines. I keep the leaves and useful castle bits, someone else buys the rest from me at £2 or so each set.

• datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,461
    SumoLego said:
    wagnerml2 said:
    Are there really rare ones? My grandson loves playing with the ones I've found, and they seem to be remarkably durable.
    I liked the Furty Fox Speedorz set a lot. Great figure and the whole thing was loaded with good parts and colors. Others like the bird nest one were very lackluster on both counts.
    SumoLego said:
    Are there really rare ones? My grandson loves playing with the ones I've found, and they seem to be remarkably durable.
    No - they're the bottom-of-the-barrel clearance fodder.  I've got a stack of them that nobody wants.  I'll PM you - we can work something out if you are interested.
    SprinkleOtterdatsunrobbie
    SumoLego said:
    wagnerml2 said:
    Speedorz were great rainy day fun toys. I loved playing them with my kids. They were way better than the original Ninjago spinners. But we never did work out how to use the cards...

• tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,950
    CCC said:
    Even at the sales prices the Superhero Girls sets don't seem worth it to me. My daughter prefers the Elves sets and some Friends too, and doesn't ever look at the Superhero Girls sets either. I don't think the Disney Palace Pets are that great either. I'd never invest in them or buy them for my daughter.

The issue with SuperHero girls is that they scale towards a younger age range. I was really excited for these, until we started seeing what the brand looked like. It was well out of the age range of my girls. Elves and Friends do far better here, and Elves has cross-gender appeal as well.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    SumoLego said:
    SumoLego said:
    No - they're the bottom-of-the-barrel clearance fodder.  I've got a stack of them that nobody wants.  I'll PM you - we can work something out if you are interested.
    Shop at Home used to throw a bunch in my orders for free just because they were laying around.  I still have them downstairs somewhere.  If someone's grandson would really play with them, I'd be happy to send them on for the price of postage, assuming I can find them.
    SumoLegodatsunrobbieIceCreamClonestluxSprinkleOtterLego_Starsnowhitie
    It appears the SOH retired w/o much fanfare.  And given that the Fairground Mixer didn't get a Creator box redesign, I'm sure it's done as well.

Since I have an extra one of these collecting dust, any speculation as to when I can sell a used one for $500.00?

(Also, as an aside, it appears that this was a licensed product - so it may still be available at the actual SOH for the forseeable future?)
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,876
    Even if it is available at the SOH it's still probably cheaper to pay double the price with free shipping on ebay to pay whatever the set cost in AUS$ and have it shipped =)
  • stevemackstevemack 1567km Drive From BillundMember Posts: 895
    edited July 2017
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,351
    edited July 2017
    #76052 Classic Batcave has the infamous 'Retiring soon' tag and is down to $215.99 at US [email protected] Just in time for the double points as well. #60098 Heavy haul train is 159.99 and City Square is 151.99 are on sale and have the moniker as well. If the #60097 City square sets were not on perpetual sale for 120-140 USD  (and a bunch of times at 100 USD a piece) it would have been a decent deal.  Black Widow (on sale for 7.99)and Salazar BrickHeadz already have a 'retiring soon' tag as well.
    I loathe the Brickheadz line, that being said I wonder if the first run of these will go up in price like the Pops did?
    BumblepantsDeeC2_JoshSumoLego
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 727
    #76052 Classic Batcave has the infamous 'Retiring soon' tag and is down to $215.99 at US [email protected] Just in time for the double points as well. #60098 Heavy haul train is 159.99 and City Square is 151.99 are on sale and have the moniker as well. If the #60097 City square sets were not on perpetual sale for 120-140 USD  (and a bunch of times at 100 USD a piece) it would have been a decent deal.  Black Widow (on sale for 7.99)and Salazar BrickHeadz already have a 'retiring soon' tag as well.
    I loathe the Brickheadz line, that being said I wonder if the first run of these will go up in price like the Pops did?
    Given that it sounds like they'll be doing even more releases and wider distribution for future series, it's entirely possible. Another good comparison would be the early CMF series, which had much less widespread distribution than the later series and are quite valuable now.
    madforLEGO said:
    I loathe the Brickheadz line...
    I'm with you.  I really don't get the Vinylmation, Funko Pop, Tsum Tsums or anything that has the usefulness of a 'Precious Moments' figurine.
    SprinkleOtterCaptainPirateMan
    SumoLego said: 
    madforLEGO said:
    I loathe the Brickheadz line...
    I'm with you.  I really don't get the Vinylmation, Funko Pop, Tsum Tsums or anything that has the usefulness of a 'Precious Moments' figurine.
    Scrooge's like you are why my Precious Moments Ideas project is languishing with only 37 votes. Sad.
    SumoLegoSprinkleOtterdougtspharmjodhoyatablesKerreYodaliciousFollowsClosely
    Well, now it's 36 votes.  I am taking my 'self-loathing in the closet Precious Moments collector' vote away from your silly little project.
    SprinkleOtterKerreFollowsClosely
  • OubirdOubird OklahomaMember Posts: 48
    Any thoughts on #76052 classic batcave.  On sale $215, double VIP, and tote bag.  I though it was highly sought after when released and it has only had a year life span?  Good buy and stash or only buy if you like it?  I know the mixed reviews and BURP complaints, but those can be easily Fixed with a few extra rock pieces and tiles.
    ^ I've managed to snag a few at $199 locally (154 USD). And pretty happy with that.  Love the Batmobile and figs. I'm confident leaving a couple in the cupboard as They'll never remake this set and both set and minifig/ Batmobile prices will also increase. 
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 997
    I was totally disappointed in the #76052 Batcave.  To me, the only value was in the figures and the batmobile, so going forward with it, what will those items be  worth?  

But Classic Batman will always be popular so I think it will have appeal for a long time.   I didn't buy it, just cuz I didn't put the same value Lego put on it.  So go ahead and buy 2 or 3 to store...see what happens.  Worst case, they fall drastically in value....then I'm interested! :)