Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Early release for Saturn v...

Comments

• TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,454
    TheFew said:
    In its temporary home. The SV is huge!

Just thought... I will put the Saturn V in its own DELTOF cabinet and get some circular holes cut into the shelves so it can go in upright with items placed around them on the shelves!
  • mh3490mh3490 NW Indiana Member Posts: 316
    Tips from an aquatic guys make sure the shelves are not tempered because tempered glass will shatter when you try to cut it 
    snowhitiemadforLEGO
    mh3490 said:
    Tips from an aquatic guys make sure the shelves are not tempered because tempered glass will shatter when you try to cut it 
    Thanks for the info. My plan is to go to my local glass shop and get them to make me two shelves to the correct size, so that I can keep the original DELTOF shelves uncut. If I tried to cut it myself I am sure it would be a horrible job!
    sid3windr
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,947
    So, who's made a launch tower for theirs already? :)
    ThoughtsonblocksWatfordScottyMstluxcatwranglermadforLEGObendybadgerGalactus
  • WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 389
    I was discussing exactly this at lunch time.  Time to get planning...
  • dutchlegofan50dutchlegofan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 186
    edited June 2017
    TheFew said:
    In its temporary home. The SV is 

Please not like that! Remove the middle glass plate and put the Saturn right up. Or if that doesn't fit, remove the top plate as well. The cars can then go down in the parking garage where they belong anyway.
    TheFew said:
    In its temporary home. The SV is 

Please not like that! Remove the middle glass plate and put the Saturn right up. Or if that doesn't fit, remove the top plate as well. The cars can then go down in the parking garage where they belong anyway.
    see my comment above, I am going to get some shelfs specially made :-)
    dutchlegofan50
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 885
    Looking at below chart, it appears the Lego Saturn V and Space Shuttle (10213/10231) are almost in scale with each other.

snowhitiecatwranglerGalactus
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,306
    Never mind that, who has made the crawler transport for them?
    Boomstickcatwrangler
  • stevecook132stevecook132 Member Posts: 112
    Some fantastic slow motion footage available here from the launch pad of Apollo 11, 8 minutes of film for 30 seconds of real time. Astounding amount of abuse of the launch platform!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKtVpvzUF1Y

tomahawkerSirBencatwranglerGalactus
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,788
    As expected, my local Lego store (Metrocentre) got a new shipment in today, and rang me up as i'd completed a reservation slip. So I got straight down there after a slightly early finish from work and picked mine up, along with the Duplo calendar freebie.
    stlux
  • paul88paul88 Member Posts: 164
    Has anyone seen this in stores at TRU or Barnes and Nobel on the east coast yet?  I'm deciding whether or not the hour drive tomorrow will be worth trying to locate one.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,782
    Recce said:
    Looking at below chart, it appears the Lego Saturn V and Space Shuttle (10213/10231) are almost in scale with each other.

Great, now I have to go buy ANOTHER Space Shuttle.  Thank you for pointing this out.
    SprinkleOtterstlux
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    I missed it, but apparently it will be in production until 2018, so I have time :)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/6g8lud/rest_assured_the_lego_saturn_v_21309_will_be_in/

madforLEGOMynattstluxrd1899catwranglerBlueTacoMaffyDdrlmiles1Galactus
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,380
    paul88 said:
    Has anyone seen this in stores at TRU or Barnes and Nobel on the east coast yet?  I'm deciding whether or not the hour drive tomorrow will be worth trying to locate one.
    It's worth calling ahead to BN and asking if they have any. If so they can set one aside for you. That's how I got mine.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,674
    I think its time for a new Lego Mars rover

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/40232443
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,436
    ^looks like Batman is going to mars. I like it hopefully we get new LEGO Space Sets to go with any new NASA explorations.
    stluxGoodCoffeeJoey
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
    Oh, thank heaven. Thanks for sharing that, @ricecake
    ricecake
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,148
    Jason from JK Brickwork managed to fit a light and sound mod in the model, including a recording of the original launch countdown: http://jkbrickworks.com/light-and-sound-saturn-v/

Very cool.
    adiemcbluedragonricecakebandit778pharmjodsid3windrsnowhitiecatwranglerGalactus
  • adiemcadiemc UKMember Posts: 473
    Just picked one up in the Lego store in Milton Keynes. They said they had 56 delivered on Friday. Now down to 5 left after I bought mine. 
  • DroneDrone U.KMember Posts: 194
    Arrived back home after a long weekend away to find mine on the door step. Seeing as I got the delivery confirmation on Friday I'm amazed it was still there!!!!
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,349
    Is that the famous delivery-by-Yodel model?
    ^ There's worse than Yodel. Got something from Asda Direct arrive home on Friday. They'd "hidden" my 80cm x 70cm x 50cm box behind a small plant pot, and moved my plant pot about 80cm from its original resting place to do it.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,474

@ricecake - I cannot thank you enough for posting that. I never thought Lego would reply on how long a set would be in production for! That gives me a lot of hope that I will eventually get it! I've posted earlier on how unlikely it is at present...

Anyway, If I could like a post multiple times, you would have significantly more from me. Cheers!

ricecakesid3windrOnebricktoomanysnowhitieBlueTacocatwrangler
  • boshoodaboshooda Member Posts: 75
    Back in stock at John Lewis 
  • willp2003willp2003 Member Posts: 86
    boshooda said:
    Back in stock at John Lewis 
    I was just going to post that! Been keeping an eye out for my mate. 
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    The note from Lego CS is simialr to what they said for Research Institute (we're trying hard to make more)...don't think they ever got around to making more....not to say that this case won't be different, but just take Lego CS information with a grain of salt
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,873
    They made a ton more research institute. It still hasn't appreciated that much. If they do the same with Saturn V we will have it for a long time.
    madforLEGOMaffyDcatwrangler
    PANIC BUY!!!!!!
    Finished mine tonight - very very sturdy, and amazingly complex internally for the very simple looking exterior. It has displaced my printer on my PC desk - I haven't used that printer in over 2 years, but it has its own slightly raised shelf on the desk.
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,288
    Alright guys...

Do I want this now because it's sold out or do I want it because after seeing all the attention it's getting and the cool building techniques I think I should get it?

I had no desire to own this before but now I sort of do...
    Legoboy
    CM4S said:
    Alright guys...

Do I want this now because it's sold out or do I want it because after seeing all the attention it's getting and the cool building techniques I think I should get it?

I was not sure, until I read the review on the brickset.com main page. The parts being all printed and the scale ready pushed me over the edge in buying it. In the end, like any mod or creator exclusive, I felt it was better to buy one now, and sell it later if I did not want it, than not buying now, regretting it and winding up paying much more later. Seeing as it will reportedly be out until 2018  though makes me wonder if I can get another on sale later.
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 885
    CM4S said:
    Alright guys...

I would say the more you read all the comments in this thread the more you're inclined to get it.

So solution is to avoid coming here, and your desire will disappear in no time. :)
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,124
    It's a very impressive set all around. Accuracy is very good.  It's an incredibly impressive display piece both size and detail wise.  Smooth finishes.  Quite sturdy.  Stages and capsule separation is a great feature 

i have only two minor complaints:  1) we should have gotten two printed command modules - one for the rocket and one for the splashdown 2) the box was not the usual high quality Ideas fold open box, but instead was just a standard box.  Feels like a miss there (think sppecial edition crawler type box). Then again, I think the large D2C sets should all have that higher quality box as well

those two small things aside, this is one of my absolute favorite sets released over the past 5 years. It's substantial and it feels like it is totally complete. No thinking "well, too bad they didn't include that..." like is the case with most sets 
    stevecook132
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,941
    dougts said:
    It's a very impressive set all around. Accuracy is very good.  It's an incredibly impressive display piece both size and detail wise.  Smooth finishes.  Quite sturdy.  Stages and capsule separation is a great feature 

^ This.

I was going to pass on this set. I did, and I did not buy it when it was open to a VIPs. I did not need a huge rocket taking up room. The more I saw the reviews, and the accuracy and the stage separation and just the overall educational value for an important piece of our history...basically everything pointed out above... I really felt this was a set we should buy. Luckily, I managed to get one. We plan to build it as a family this summer.
    catwrangler
  • alaskaguyalaskaguy Member Posts: 325
    I dunno....seems like if I were gonna buy just ONE lego set produced in the last 10 years, this would be the one.  Glad I was successful on opening day.
    dougts
  • Sabreman64Sabreman64 Member Posts: 9
    It seems to be sold out now on the LEGO shop. That must be a new record for a set - sold out and discontinued in less than two weeks. I would have bought one, but I'm short of money this month and couldn't afford it until next month. Oh well, I'll now have to pay the extortionate prices demanded by the greedy sellers on ebay.
  • CommanderJigglypuffCommanderJigglypuff NetherlandsMember Posts: 63
    CM4S said:
    Alright guys...

I have the same 'problem'. Never thought I would care about this set, but seeing all the pictures and positive comments I'm actually interested.. It comes and go though. 
    CM4S
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,252
    It seems to be sold out now on the LEGO shop. That must be a new record for a set - sold out and discontinued in less than two weeks. I would have bought one, but I'm short of money this month and couldn't afford it until next month. Oh well, I'll now have to pay the extortionate prices demanded by the greedy sellers on ebay.
    @Sabreman64 - I think from all indications LEGO will be producing this set well into 2018 and potentially beyond. It is not discontinued. Be patient, and you'll be able to get one at retail price (or better!) soon enough :)
    madforLEGOgmonkey76mustang69stlux
     Sorry to interrupt the thread, but...."extortionate prices demanded by the greedy sellers on ebay".
    Lets count the things wrong with this statement.
    1) So you have to pay resellers when you had no money to buy the set to begin with when it was available?

With all due respect, you do not have to pay anything for something on eBay. Don't like the prices? Do not buy. It helps when ,as others have said, LEGO themselves said production lasts until 2018. Want to stick it to the 'greedy,evil' profit takers (I guess you can call these people 'short sellers'... I dunno if that fits)? Do not buy at their prices.

2) Extortionate prices... according to you, and I think you used the wrong word. No one is holding a gun to your head demanding this or that for the set or else. Last I checked it is buyer demand that drives the price up, not 'greedy' resellers. Resellers only sell a set based on what a crazy buyer would pay. A reseller can ask for 1000 dollars, but if no one buys it for that then they are sitting on them for a long long time.

For the record, I'm not one for those who try to corner the market hoping the sets sell out quickly to ask for large prices, but I'm also tired of how people seem to pin all their woes on resellers.

This is a great set and most knew there would be demand for it and planned accordingly. LEGO should really have also limited them to only 1 per purchase (and adhered to that rule), but they do not. So please if you are going to point fingers also have the decency to point one at LEGO for refusing to make and enforce limits.
    Onebricktoomanyalaskaguygmonkey76BumblepantsSprinkleOtterLusiferSamecmo47Calv
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,941
    In the US at least it says temporarily out of stock. It does not say sold out. It does not say discontinued.
  • alaskaguyalaskaguy Member Posts: 325
    Good post by MadForLego. It is like complaining about Walmart and the evils it is engaged in. Walmart (and the like) can only be successful with what it does if people keep shopping there. And yet, people keep shopping there.

Anyway, I got an extra Saturn V, sealed new in box, hoping I can find someone willing to trade a Technic Mobile Crane, sealed new in the box, who is within a few hours of me. If I can find no such person, well, instead of my kid getting one Saturn V in 10-12 years, he will get two (;
  • moolermooler MI, USAMember Posts: 29
    Finally, after 2 weeks, my Saturn V has shipped. Will be here tomorrow.
  • 1x11x1 Member Posts: 118
    [email protected] UK now says Temporarily out of stock.  It was showing as Sold Out when I looked yesterday.
    catwrangler
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,148
    Apart from the TLG CS email @ricecake posted above on June 10 confirming this set will still be produced through 2018, on Promobricks (in German) they have seen responses from CS that new batches of this set will be available in July.

So no panic yet :)
    ricecake
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 306
    It's far too early to be panicking about this set yet.  New sets like this often sell out right away, and then come back in stock later.  I suspect this one will be hot for as long as it's available, but I wouldn't panic yet.  Just keep checking the Lego website and news sites like this.
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,092
    I picked one up from the LEGO Store in Westfield / Stratford and there were more on the shelf, if anyone is looking.

One of my daughters is mad keen on space in general and the Apollo missions in particular and said a while ago that she is going to be the first woman on the moon (she's 7 years old).

She's "over the moon" about helping me build this set at the weekend! :-)
    stluxMaffyDSumoLegoSpeedman29HugeYellowBrickcatwrangler
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,392
    I just read a comment about resellers and I have to say that if resellers didn't buy product to resell, more people who actually wanted the set with be able to buy it.
    TXLegoguyJern92catwrangler