Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Speed Champions

SirASirA Cheltenham Member Posts: 2

Comments

• SirASirA Cheltenham Member Posts: 2
    When is the release date 2017 of speed Champions 2017? What are the car models? 
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,550
    edited January 2017
    Have a look here: http://brickset.com/sets/year-2017/theme-Speed-Champions

Should debut in March.
  • bigdumbwookieebigdumbwookiee IndianaMember Posts: 7
    So what's the story on the McLaren Road Car? Is it sill happening? 
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,429

Perceived wisdom and forum guesses indicate that it is. More in the thread here:

Set 75880

Stupid thread title notwithstanding :-)

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,303
    Your Camaro seems to be a bit slow ;)
    77ncaachampsAllBrickstluxbandit778khmellymelGothamConstructionCo
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    Awe cute Camaro (my custom SC style BAC Mono) BAC Mono
    Pitfall69catwranglertallblocktooMaffyDstluxbandit778BlueTacoMynatt
    MaffyD said:

Perceived wisdom and forum guesses indicate that it is. More in the thread here:

Set 75880

Stupid thread title notwithstanding :-)

Oye. Need to be better at search. Thank you!

MaffyD
  • SDRFormula1SDRFormula1 London, EnglandMember Posts: 24
    The Official 2017 Lego Speed Champions F1 cars (2016 Season) out now!!

Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula 1 team & Scuderia Ferrari Finish Line!!!

bigdumbwookiee said:

Oye. Need to be better at search. Thank you!
    Search is awful. I only know that thread cuz I posted in it!
    Well the McLaren 720S has been revealed, so I guess now we wait and see if 75880 appears online somewhere or if it was outright canceled. how long should we give it before tossing it into the "canceled" pile?
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,316
    McLaren needs all the positive advertising it can get. Though we can just deconstruct the engine for extra realism... ;)
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,263
    Well the McLaren 720S has been revealed, so I guess now we wait and see if 75880 appears online somewhere or if it was outright canceled. how long should we give it before tossing it into the "canceled" pile?

BumblepantsMaffyDstluxsid3windrcatwrangler77ncaachamps
    That is a new wheel design right? I really like how they are using trans bricks for headlights some now instead of stickers. So much better looking.
    @CM4S - that's quite a tease. Where's the rest of it? Don't say Reddit!
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,263
    MaffyD said:
    @CM4S - that's quite a tease. Where's the rest of it? Don't say Reddit!
    That's the whole thing unfortunately.  Don't know when the final summer pics are gonna be posted but maybe soon.
    MaffyD

Yeah, I visited Reddit after guessing that's where it originated. Found out it was from Twitter (and they'd got the wrong car listed) and now I notice the account is suspended. Odd. June... I can wait.

Also - I WAS RIGHT! I called it and I was right. And we got an image right after the reveal of the car, so I was right twice! In one year! In one thread even! Going to include this in my autobiography and no mistake :-)

http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/504901/#Comment_504901 (for reference)

sid3windrbandit778Johnyk668
    well, that was a fast answer lol. need to see more of it to know just how good it is overall, but from that one image I can say: Yay! more orange! and Oooohhh nice rim inserts. looking forward to more pictures.
    So 75879-1: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H has stickers and extra helmets to do one of two drivers and their respective cars. Do any of the other single car sets do similar alternates?
    Someone on the main page linked this article which has more photos of the whole car:

https://drivetribe.com/p/RjCaFS1KQuqP3ckj1XzDkA?iid=WaC91UjPRiCs9EIO0Ezg6A
    MaffyDMynattstluxchuckpCaptainLego
    Thanks, @Bumblepants - it looks great, and the designer minifig is a lovely touch. I'll have one!
    CaptainLego
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 561
    As a designer, the inclusion of the drawing board and concept vehicle sketch is enough for me. The car itself looks good but my preference still goes to the wave 1 McLaren. Huge fan of their cars and can't wait to get this one. 

Very glad it was not canceled or anything of the sort.
    CM4SCaptainLego
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 676
    Must admit to getting hooked on these things...
    CaptainLego
    nice, that 720 stands out nicely in this group with its brick headlights. tried to get one this past weekend but they were all gone already. will have to order myself one I guess.
    CaptainLego
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,730
    Wow, I hadn't realised how good these look when you display a lot of them together! Definitely having a bit of a wobble about this theme, and I'm not the only one - last week in Toymaster I watched a little boy hurtle up to the shelves, grab a car and gaze at it in delight.
    CaptainLego
    I think they look great. I have a fair few (mainly the road-going ones or racing versions of road cars, not the cars used only for racing) and the scale seems to work just right for the majority of designs. I'm really hoping they expand the range into more marques as a few of my favourite brands/models are unrepresented.
    the only issue with the theme is that the cars are not true to any discernible scale, but once you overlook that and accept the stylized shapes they are great caricatures of the real cars and look splendid. and as much as it pains me to say it they often look best with stickers! (oh how I hate to use them, but I concede here they help)
    CaptainLego
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 676
    I must admit they are becoming an addiction for erm..erm me..my son!
    CaptainLego
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 1,181
    I was avoiding them, but somebody bought me the Audi LMP and GT as presents. The road cars fit quite well in my Modular street. I plan on getting the 720S soon as well to go with the 918.

FowlerBricksCaptainLegostlux
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,386
    edited June 2017
    My modified Speed Champions sets two MOC Batmobiles, and no stickers/ brick lights on the official sets.
    SithLord196bandit778MaffyDCaptainLegoYodaliciousSpeedman29SDRFormula1
  • CaptainLegoCaptainLego FloridaMember Posts: 350
    I hope this theme continues. I know Lego does discontinue themes after a couple waves, but, this theme is too cool and has way too many options for sets to be axed like that. I don't see any reason why they'd discontinue Speed Champions, though. It seems to have been pretty well received. I've even seen automotive news sites having articles on these sets. 

I also wish Speed Champions would have two waves per year like other themes do. I also hope for a Koenigsegg set in 2018.
    SumoLegogmonkey76Bumblepants
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,495
    I'd like a '50's Hudson, '60's Chevy Impala, '70's Superbird, '80's Monte Carlo.  Retro Racing Champions...
    gmonkey76SithLord196pharmjoddatsunrobbieYodalicious
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,386
    Would love more classic cars and MOPAR vehicles. 68-70 Charger , 71 'Cuda convertible, Roadrunner, and current Challenger
    CaptainLego
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,613
    I'm not a fan of this theme however #75880 - McLaren 720s does stand out as one of the few that I wouldn't mind to own.
    SumoLego said:
    I'd like a '50's Hudson, '60's Chevy Impala, '70's Superbird, '80's Monte Carlo.  Retro Racing Champions...

Didn't we see most of these as part of the Cars theme? :-)

Bumblepantssid3windr

no superbird (surprisingly) but even if we did the Cars theme was just bad, 4 wide and junior-ized before that was even a thing.

I'm all for Mopars, and muscle cars of all makes, but I would love to see some Japanese love too. a Nissan GTR, Mutsi Lancer EVO, Subaru STI, Toyota Supra, Mazda RX7, Lexus LFA, even a Honda Civic Type-R would be welcomed at this point (though personally I favor AWD cars)

CaptainLegoYo_dA
  • SDRFormula1SDRFormula1 London, EnglandMember Posts: 24
    cool!!

I was joking about the cars sets - they are not good representations of the cars in question. Love those Japanese MOCs - I was waiting for a Honda NSX to show up! Yes, I played Gran Turismo when I was younger.
    Yo_dA
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,140
    I would like to see them produce IndyCar sets, as in all different cars from the Indianapolis 500 over the years.

I wonder if it would happen though with the theme producing multiple Formula-1 sets. For anyone that has followed recent news, IndyCar and Formula-1 haven't been playing nice with each other since Fernando Alonso decided to race at the Indianapolis 500 this year instead of racing at the Grand Prix of Monaco.

Back on topic, a lot of those older IndyCars were great, and should have an international appeal with manufacturers like McLaren and Lotus among them.
  • madejp86madejp86 IllinoisMember Posts: 215
    MaffyD said:
    I was joking about the cars sets - they are not good representations of the cars in question. Love those Japanese MOCs - I was waiting for a Honda NSX to show up! Yes, I played Gran Turismo when I was younger.
    lol you are in lucky. My whole idea was to do a 90s JDM Legends. So I have done the mazda rx7, toyota supra and now nissan skyline r34. All that is left on my place is the nsx :D
    MaffyDYo_dA
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 434
    I wonder if it would happen though with the theme producing multiple Formula-1 sets. For anyone that has followed recent news, IndyCar and Formula-1 haven't been playing nice with each other since Fernando Alonso decided to race at the Indianapolis 500 this year instead of racing at the Grand Prix of Monaco.
    Isn't it basically just IndyCar vs. Hamilton, being the diva that he usually is, and not all of F1?
    sid3windr
  • madejp86madejp86 IllinoisMember Posts: 215
    The series has been getting better each year. I really hope they do some imports next year. If not I will just continue on my own :D
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,140
    Isn't it basically just IndyCar vs. Hamilton, being the diva that he usually is, and not all of F1?
    I know Hamilton was the centerpiece of it, but I didn't read what was actually said. When F-1 drivers were asked about running the Indianapolis 500 a lot of them seemed to have disdain for it (although I can agree that part of that is to be expected, most owners don't want to hear that their driver is thinking about running a different race). It just seems like there is a very sudden dislike between the two series. 

Perhaps it is much ado about nothing, but I could see where F-1 wouldn't want a similar racing series as part of this theme.
    edited June 2017

no superbird (surprisingly) but even if we did the Cars theme was just bad, 4 wide and junior-ized before that was even a thing.

I'm all for Mopars, and muscle cars of all makes, but I would love to see some Japanese love too. a Nissan GTR, Mutsi Lancer EVO, Subaru STI, Toyota Supra, Mazda RX7, Lexus LFA, even a Honda Civic Type-R would be welcomed at this point (though personally I favor AWD cars)

I'd buy an LFA and a GT-R for sure. LFA could be a solid $15 set, and you could pair the R35 with an R32 for a $30 set. Could also do a Z. 

Here's my current wishlist:

Any Koenigsegg car
    Ferrari 250 GTO
    Ferrari 250 LM
    Lamborghini Miura(Modern Lamborghinis might the trickiest to make in SC scale with all those wedge shapes and angles, but, the Miura shouldn't be that tricky)
    McLaren F1
    Jaguar XJ220
    Bugatti EB110
    Aston Martin DB5
    Aston Martin DB11
    Aston Martin Vulcan
    1968-1971 Dodge Charger
    Dodge Charger Daytona
    1971 Dodge Challenger
    Any of the new Dodge Challengers(to go with the vintage one)
    1967 Shelby GT350
    2017 Shelby GT350
    Zenvo TS1(Danish car company. Danish toy brand. Hmmm....)
    Pagani Huayra BC

And that's all that comes to mind right now.

SumoLegogmonkey76BumblepantsMaffyD
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 582
    I'd be down for a speed champions DMC-12. Very very unlikely though
    CaptainLego

here are a few of my other SC styled cars I've built in the last couple years:

Vector W8 Twin Turbo

Pagani Huayra

Maserati MC12

And Renault Espace F1

Enjoy!

I'd love to try my hand at that Vector and Huayra.  I certainly wasn't expecting to see a Vector. 
    edited June 2017

if you want to build the Pagani check out my mocpages for it, there is an LDD file you can work from. there are also several other cars to check out, in city scale (not Speed Champs styled)

MOCpages profile page: http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/66998/

(note: not all of my cars have LDD files)

MaffyDCaptainLego