Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Monochrome Minifigures how to start collecting?

13»

Comments

• floridabrickfloridabrick Central FLMember Posts: 158

@rolyateel

Nice collection.  It seems you’ve also dumped tons of time and money in this pursuit.  I’m sitting at 33 completed too, and also have tighty whities for my light flesh’s hips. 

Are you actually wiping, or just reversing?

Tell me if I’m right:
    The 2 to the left of black are flat silver and chrome black?
    The 2 to the left of chrome gold are pearl gold and light pearl gold?
    The last 3 at the top right are purple, dark purple and sand purple?

And what is that freak in the bottom right with what appears to be printing?!

• VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,304
    Created a checklist in Excel & a LXF file with a visual representation of what is possible, I will try to keep the list up to date (mostly focusing on current colours).

http://bricksafe.com/pages/VorpalRyu/monofigs
    Diggydoesxiahnakiki180703
    Slight error on the Excel sheet, fixed & re-uploaded...
    xiahna
  • rolyateelrolyateel Member Posts: 42

@rolyateel

Nice collection.  It seems you’ve also dumped tons of time and money in this pursuit.  I’m sitting at 33 completed too, and also have tighty whities for my light flesh’s hips. 

Are you actually wiping, or just reversing?

Tell me if I’m right:
    The 2 to the left of black are flat silver and chrome black?
    The 2 to the left of chrome gold are pearl gold and light pearl gold?
    The last 3 at the top right are purple, dark purple and sand purple?

And what is that freak in the bottom right with what appears to be printing?!

I'm wiping where required
    Not got them in front of me so it's hard to say without looking at reference colours

The bottom right has a test print head, and test print legs
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,522
    So how do you wipe then?
    Curious on this myself... Nothing we've tried so far has had the results I'm after.
    xiahna
  • floridabrickfloridabrick Central FLMember Posts: 158

If you are as particular as I am (removing every bit of printing without damaging the fig) your answer is a good pencil eraser and a lot of elbow grease. 

I’ve tried a couple of the liquid solutions that others here have mentioned (and plenty on YouTube will show you) but found it impossible to find the balance (by way of the correct mixture) between being just as much work as an eraser and basically melting the plastic.  When I say melting the plastic, I mean I’ve been able to keep this to a minimum, but the color is not exactly the same, and like I said I’m particular so I can see the difference.  

Unless I misinterpreted your question.  In that case the answer is that I usually pull 8-10 sheets and double it up a couple times, then gently blot at the source in a front to back direction with my right hand.  Drop, repeat until no skid marks. 

edited April 2017
    Our best method so far has been cotton buds with orange essential oil, no discolouration occurs, but it dulls the plastic slightly. @xiahna is studying Beauty Services & she thinks she might be able to buff the plastic back to close to its original sheen with some of her nail treatment tools, when she gets a bit of time, she's going to give it a go.
    catwranglerxiahnakiki180703
  • elspankdogelspankdog TexasMember Posts: 403
    edited May 2017
    Monofig collectors rejoice!  We get unprinted yellowish green hair:

catwrangler
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 865
    ^and with the help of @floridabrick I can erase off all the printing on Beetlejuice and have a plain white fig, too!
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,522
    @krklint‌ here's a spreadsheet that was current as of a few months ago in the summer when I last updated it.
    @BrickDancer Hi mate, just been looking at your spreadsheet. Do the colors of the cells have any specific meaning? 
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,667
    Working on my Monochrome collection and I am up to 33 figures, but I notice that the Surgeon figure from CMF has a different color than what BL is reporting for it (it says medium Azure, but I have a Monochrome Med Azure figure and that is not the same color, it seems 'brighter', and a bit more green) does anyone know what color that is supposed to be?
    It appears to be a blue green color, but does not seem to appear in BL (unless I am just missing it)
  • elspankdogelspankdog TexasMember Posts: 403
    Light aqua?
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 520
    Chances are that Bricklink is correct. If you can provide a photo that'd help, or if not, which figures did you get the parts from for the brighter coloured figure you have?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,667
    Bobflip said:
    Chances are that Bricklink is correct. If you can provide a photo that'd help, or if not, which figures did you get the parts from for the brighter coloured figure you have?
    Thanks, nope I think I got my wires crossed. I was mixing up the Genie from the CMF series with Genie from the Disney CMF...

• Tevans333Tevans333 Member Posts: 152
    Been awhile since I checked in on this. Does anyone have a current list of available mono parts?
  • sonatine01sonatine01 Daventry, EnglandMember Posts: 634
    @Tevans333  if you check the ‘Collecting certain parts’ thread there’s a spreadsheet that @Paperballpark has expertly and kindly created and linked on one of his/hers posts.
    PaperballparkKungFuKenny
  • Tevans333Tevans333 Member Posts: 152
    @sonatine01 Thanks for the quick reply and info. That thread is going to suck up many of my hours...

@Paperballpark Thanks for sharing the spreadsheet it is increadibly helpful. Is there an easy way to tell if a part has printing and needs to be wiped vs no printing?
    sonatine01
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,619
    Tevans333 said:
    @sonatine01 Thanks for the quick reply and info. That thread is going to suck up many of my hours...

@Paperballpark Thanks for sharing the spreadsheet it is increadibly helpful. Is there an easy way to tell if a part has printing and needs to be wiped vs no printing?
    No I didn't go into that level of detail I'm afraid. Plus there may be cases where both printed and unprinted are available, but printed is much cheaper to get.

I'm glad someone is getting use out of the spreadsheet! Bear in mind it's not definitive, but it is everything I'm aware of, and I believe that it's probably 99% accurate :)
    KungFuKenny
    ^ Its been hugely helpful to me and still is. I’ve started to learn the actual names of colours rather than just blue, light blue, lighter blue, lighterer blue 😂 It’s saved me hours of checking back and forth on different sites too. So thank-you very much, hugely appreciated @Paperballpark 👍🏻
    Paperballpark
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,619
    No worries! It's an adaptation of the spreadsheet I used/use to keep track of my collection. I'm always looking for parts in new colours though, or in colours that I'm not aware of.

I'm hopeful that the new plastic they're making the transparent bricks out of now means that they'll finally do full minifigs in transparent colours. I really want transparent mono minifigs!
    SumoLegoKungFuKennydavetheoxygenman
    ^ That would be cool, it would give us a chance of ghost Star Wars figs too. I’m a bit of a magpie so Chrome would be great if Lego brought that back.
    KungFuKenny