Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Brickset Bonusball Bonanza - UK draw 06/05/2107

snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,779
edited May 2017 in Buying & Selling Topics
Roll up, roll up it's time for the weekly Bonus Ball, in honour of Star Wars day, a Star Wars price, so a chance to win #30278

Simply answer the question, you then get a number based on your post  and 1st 59 answers get a number.  If your number then is drawn on this weekends UK national lottery bonus ball then you win. 

If you would like to volunteer for any of the coming weeks, feel free to drop me a PM. Already got a couple lined up, but always good to have fresh inspiration for the questions ;-)

Oh and you want a question from me, do you? Well, I was chatting to a friend yesterday about comics/graphic novels we liked as a kid. So I would like to know which ones you all liked and why. Feel free to also tell us if your favourite has changed to something more mature.

I loved and still love Piet Pienter and Bert Bibber (Clever Pete and Shaky Bert basically). A proper cartoony comic, the artwork was maybe not the most beautiful or arty, I had Victor Sacville and Alex for that, but a laugh a minute. A pun in every page and suitable for kids and adults. There was also always an adventure and mystery, the two 'heroes' were accompanied by the beautiful Susan, there was a bumbling Police Officer and a Confused Professor.

My favourite at the moment is Calvin and Hobbes.

Let us know what you like/liked and good luck!
stluxmmozzanoGothamConstructionCoRainstorm26bendybadgerLobotSeijiAmasawaTheBigLegoskiricecakecatwranglervizzitormessybandit778khmellymel

Comments

• Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    I've always loved Calvin and Hobbes.  For the last multiple decades.
    TyresOFlahertyGothamConstructionCocatwrangler
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    edited May 2017

Grew up with the Star Wars comics of the 90s (Dark horse era) artwork was great and stories were gritty and dangerous just what Star Wars was meant to be.

TheBigLegoski
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,774
    It had to be the Transformers comics for me - always loved Marvel's graphic style, and they were a good match to the cartoon and toys.
    Lobot
  • TyresOFlahertyTyresOFlaherty USAMember Posts: 339
    Calvin and Hobbes, definitely. Could just get lost reading those, they are so creative, and the art in them is amazing.
    GothamConstructionCocatwrangler
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    I always loved The Far Side. So much humor in one little pane. 
    TyresOFlahertyGothamConstructionCoLobotcatwrangler
  • CoviCovi BelgiumMember Posts: 285
    edited May 2017
    For me it was always XIII which has just an awesome story. The Bourne Identity is loosely based on this series.
    More info @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XIII_(comics)
    TheBigLegoski
  • cmrt1014cmrt1014 Member Posts: 396
    The Far Side, Dilbert, Calvin & Hobbes, used to be Garfield, always Peanuts!
    GothamConstructionCo
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,316
    I don't recall most comics I likely read; I do know I very much liked Suske en Wiske, and Kiekeboe. Didn't like Nero very much, didn't like De Rode Ridder at all.

Nowadays I don't read a lot, my girlfriend regularly seems to acquire some new Kiekeboes which I do all read once. :)

Funny thing is none of the above will ring any bells for most English speakers :D
    catwranglerCovi
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,305
    Beano, and particularly The Bash Street Kids.

vizzitorRedbullgivesuwind
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,045
    edited May 2017
    Everyone we know loves the Beano

It's good to keep the Dandy handy

deffinitely grew up in the UK :-P

(edit it's a credit to the marketing that I can still remember those advert tag lines)
    vizzitorGothamConstructionCocatwrangler
  • adiemcadiemc UKMember Posts: 470
    The Beano as a child and Viz as an adult.
    vizzitorGothamConstructionComonkeyhanger
  • COOLEGOCOOLEGO B'ham/SolihullMember Posts: 181
    The Spider-Man weekly comics was my Saturday morning for years, when I read one now they just have me laughing and shaking my head
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,500
    Beano!
    vizzitor
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,030
    I read quite a selection of the British comics as a kid, but probably Whizzer and Chips was my fave. I had a poem published in the Whizzer section and won myself a WhizKid T- Shirt. However it went missing soon after I'd worn it a couple of times. Not sure if my other hated it, put in the blue jean wash by mistake, or it had some other terrible fate that made her hide it from me.

princedravenvizzitorcatwrangler
  • iliketoastiliketoast AustraliaMember Posts: 251
    The Far Side - I used about 2 years worth of calendar to paper one bedroom wall with them
    GothamConstructionCoLobotdmcc0
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 434
    Garfield.
    Legopassion8
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Whizzed and Chips for me too.  I won a competition for bizarre facts.  My bizarre fact was that it is illegal to send second hand bee keeping equipment to Botswana.
    vizzitorGothamConstructionCocatwrangler
  • historymanhistoryman Member Posts: 345
    Another vote for The Beano. Never a fan of The Dandy though. 
  • mmozzanommozzano UKMember Posts: 413
    I haven't read any graphic novels or comics since Transformers comics in the early 90s. 
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,015
    Chris Claremont era X-men, particularly the Dark Phoenix saga.
    Managed to get a trade paperback collection of it signed by him several years back ( & then left it when I moved :-( )
    Off to the local comic shop tomorrow for Free Comic Book Day to pick something up for my eldest daughter
    catwrangler
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 216
    edited May 2017
    Coming from Ireland, when someone back in the early 90's talked about comics, it wasn't the major DC or Marvel stuff from the U.S., it was the British comics we had easy access to like The Beano, The Dandy, Whizzer and Chips, etc.

I don't know if anyone here remembers Big Comic Fortnightly? I loved it because it was huge, especially the summer special editions.

Google images comes up trumps, here's a picture of one copy I remember owning.

adiemccatwrangler
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,708
    Let's see...
    Legacy of the Force, because it pushed the rules of SW.
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,403
    The Walking Dead... because... zombies!
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,549
    Calvin and Hobbes tops my list for sure. Brilliant work.
    GothamConstructionCo
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 515
    I've been a comic nerd for a long time, ever since my dad found a Marvel Treasury #6 at a the local library which reprinted a bunch of Doctor Strange comics. He got that book for me back in 1979 and I read it to the point that it fell apart.

Currently, I don't have a ton of time or money to read comics, but I do try to keep up with The Walking Dead (been reading that since issue #1) and I try to read any graphic novels suggested by ComicGirl19 on youtube/Go90. She has an awesome series about the history of comic artists/writers called Greater Creators. 

On a side note, tomorrow is Free Comic Day in the US. If you aren't familiar, most Comic Book stores will be giving out free comics, each store will have their own rules, etc. I take my kids every year.
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,118
    Like fellow Belgians here, I was spoiled for choice and started with Jommeke and Suske en Wiske (apparently Spike and Suzy in English!), then "graduating" to series from Lambil/Cauvin (e.g. De Blauwbloezen).

As a teenager I collected basically anything written by Jean Van Hamme or artwork done by William Vance or Grzegorz Rosinski:

My all-time favourites are probably
    • De Klaagzang van de Verloren Gewesten (Dufaux/Rosinski)
    • De Kronieken van Panchrysia (I have these all signed with extra artwork by Ferry, the artist)
    • De eeuwige Oorlog/The Forever War by Marvano/Haldeman, based on Joe Haldeman's novel

As a teenager I also started collecting manga, beginning with City Hunter:

Until I came out of my Dark Ages, how to store my 2000+ comic/manga collection was my biggest space-related concern. However my 800+ Lego sets are putting that previous "problem" into perspective!

Thanks for hosting @snowhitie!
    TheBigLegoskicatwranglerCovi
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 666
    The Sunday comics.  Dilbert, Far Side, Robotman, Family Circus, just to name a few.
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,180
    Amazing Spider-Man & Spawn
  • bendybadgerbendybadger 127.0.0.1 ::1Member Posts: 1,141
    My favourite was always 2000AD.  Judge Dredd was a firm favourite alongside Nemesis the Warlock and Robo Hunter featuring Sam Slade.Still got a big bundle of back issues up in the loft that I was saving in case they ever became worth anything.  
    I also loved a comic called Crisis which was had an excellent strip about people helping  Sandinistas in Nicauragua.  Heavy stuff but really well drawn and though provoking.  

catwranglervizzitor
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 546
    Garfield, Far Side & Calvin and Hobbes
    GothamConstructionCo
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 476
    Was Beano
    Now Bloom County and Doonesbury
    vizzitor
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 476
    Do Tintin books count? My father used to buy them in French when he was abroad. Then we would sit together and he would translate while we looked at the pictures
    catwrangler
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 923

I have the complete box sets of Calvin & Hobbes, plus the Far Side, but for me it has to be the original Marvel Transformers comics from the 80's... I read mine to the point where they fell apart!  At only 30p a week they were a total bargain!

mmozzanocatwranglerGothamConstructionCovizzitor
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 746
    80s-early 90s x-men for me.
    chris Claremont's writing was great stuff!
    catwranglerToc13
  • SeijiAmasawaSeijiAmasawa USMember Posts: 212
    edited May 2017
    Never read comics as a kid but started with manga in my early 20s while working in a bookstore. Rumiko Takahashi was my favorite...Ranma 1/2 and Mermaid Saga. I was also obsessed with Case Closed but mostly the anime.
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 279
    catwranglerGothamConstructionCogmonkey76
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    Whizzer and chips, I learnt the only magic trick I've ever been able to do from that comic.
    catwranglervizzitor
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,943
    edited May 2017
    I used to really like ZOIDS, and I fondly remember a ZOIDS and Spider-man comic (weird mixture?!)

I didn't bother looking at the Spider-man part of the comic - it was all about the ZOIDS for me!

The comic was a good way of finding out what other ZOIDS there were, and it was nice to recognise the ones I actually owned. As the world wide web hadn't yet been invented, I don't know how else I would have know about which ones there were! I don't recall ever having a ZOIDS catalogue like I did with LEGO.

And, rather like my old LEGO catalogues from the 80s, the ZOIDS are yet another thing I wish I'd kept hold of. This was the biggest one I had:

Quick addition: I also loved Big comic fortnightly, and Funny Fortnightly (ever other week!). I also remember buying the first ever OINK! comic with a free vinyl disc of pig noises.
    mmozzanocatwranglervizzitorTheBigLegoski
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 1,181
    Another Beano fan here as well as Far Side.
    vizzitor
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 817
    Captain Underpants (flick page animation) :-D
  • alldarkeralldarker NetherlandsMember Posts: 208
    I am currently besotted with Brian Vaughan's Saga, but I love all the comics he's written, especially Y - The Last Man.
    vizzitor
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,288
    edited May 2017
    Asterix
    I can list many many more, but as a kid definitely Asterix, and even now as an adult they are still fun to read.
    stluxCovi
  • mmozzanommozzano UKMember Posts: 413
    edited May 2017

I used to really like ZOIDS, and I fondly remember a ZOIDS and Spider-man comic (weird mixture?!)

I didn't bother looking at the Spider-man part of the comic - it was all about the ZOIDS for me!

The comic was a good way of finding out what other ZOIDS there were, and it was nice to recognise the ones I actually owned. As the world wide web hadn't yet been invented, I don't know how else I would have know about which ones there were! I don't recall ever having a ZOIDS catalogue like I did with LEGO.

And, rather like my old LEGO catalogues from the 80s, the ZOIDS are yet another thing I wish I'd kept hold of. This was the biggest one I had:

Quick addition: I also loved Big comic fortnightly, and Funny Fortnightly (ever other week!). I also remember buying the first ever OINK! comic with a free vinyl disc of pig noises.

@paul_merton

Zoids! Oh my god!  I've still got a box full of them on the loft, would never be able to put them back together as the majority are in lots of bits with zero instructions. 

I had no idea they were based on a comic book until now. 

You've made me want to go up there and dig them out and have a look what I had, I know I had a huge bird like one and a huge gorilla.

(please don't count this post as an entry, I've already entered once) 

Edit - looks like the gorilla I had was Gore. Trying to find the bird. 
    paul_mertoncatwranglerTheBigLegoski
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 340
    I don't remember reading comics as a kid. As an adult, I have enjoyed the Walking Dead series. I have always liked the zombie genre and when I found out about that series a decade ago, I was hooked. It got me into reading more books about zombies rather than just watching movies.

The kids in my classroom enjoy the graphic novels Amulet, Adamsville, and Smile the most. 
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    The Far Side, Garfield, FoxTrot
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,730
    The first comic I loved was Thundercats, and then I graduated through the various humour and girls' comics you could get in the UK then, to discovering the X-Men in adolescence. My all-time favourite is probably The Sandman, but I like a whole lot of different things. 
    vizzitor
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 431
    Asterix + Obelix, always funny how they resisted the invaders :)
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,140
    This is going to sound cliche being on a Lego forum, but I always looked forward to the Bionicle comics that came with the Lego Club magazine. 

I just absolutely loved them for some reason, even if I do forget most of what happened in them.
    catwrangler
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,084
    Huge fan of the first Elfquest series.
  • PoMoPinkPoMoPink UKMember Posts: 269
    Nothing beats the Beano
    vizzitor