Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Ideas - Review Results

Comments

• ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    edited May 2017
    Projects that have qualified for the first 2017 review are up:
    https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/143

1. Blues Mobile by Eini (Kai Einfeldt)
    2. Sega Classic Arcade Machines by SpacySmoke
    3. Quest Builder by Ymarilego
    4. Red Arrows Hawk by M4 CUS & RAFRed10
    5. Venetian Houses by McMarco
    6. Jeep Wrangler Rubicon by ck80
    7. NBC's The Office by Lego The Office
    8. Tron Legacy Light Cycle by BrickBros UK
    9. Might Morphin Power Rangers by bruceywan
    10. Surf Rescue by LegoSurfRescue
    11. Medieval Watermill by fishingtwister

• AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,877
    Rooting for the Bluesmobile and the Venetian Houses. 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,852
    edited May 2017
    graphite said:

Penkid11 said:
    It's 39 inches long (just a little over a meter)! I'm do glad that it can be displayed standing up. I wouldn't have room for it.
    If it is exactly 39 inches it is just a little under a meter.  =)

Only if you're talking metric meters.  If you're talking meters of US Customary Units, then 39 inches is just a little over a meter.  

And if you've read this far, you've realized this is a ridiculous post, because what is a metric meter if not redundant and there is no such thing as a US Customary Units meter.
    sid3windr
    In looking at a few of the comments to Lego's post, I am always amused by the folks that think there will be 6 or 7 approved sets.

We're lucky to get one, let alone two.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,961
    I love love Questbuilder!! My son used to makes Lego sets like this when he was 5. Instead of minifigs, he used the microfigs from the games and would create these mini adventures where I would have to play detailed adventures with him on the game boards he created.
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 455
    I'd love the Watermill or Venetian House, nothing else really interests me. 
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,861
    I feel like The Blues Brothers has pretty decent chances since like the Back to the Future and Ghostbusters projects, it's a massively successful 80s movie that is frequently rebroadcast on cable networks. Of course, it's not a sci-fi property like those were, so perhaps can't capitalize on the same geek culture trend. The IP has some debatably kid-unfriendly subject matter (profanity, racial slurs, smoking, innuendo, Nazis), but nothing particularly outrageous compared to other properties the LEGO Group has adapted like Indiana Jones or The Big Bang Theory.

Voltron could also have some pretty good chances, I feel. It's ambitious, but perhaps less so than the Saturn V. It's a pretty well realized project that probably doesn't conflict too much with other major themes, and it's based on an inherently "toyetic" property that's managed to generate renewed interest due to the Netflix reboot "Voltron: Legendary Defender". I have no real nostalgia for classic Voltron since it was before my time but I'm loving the new series.
    Goldchainscatwrangler
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,445
    surf rescue? it looks like a city set, how did it reach 10000?
    LegoboySumoLegodougts
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,758
    ^ ...and why it is likely to get an automatic pass.
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,342
    I believe there's a story behind it involving a child.. I can't remember. 

The Office is the only thing appealing to me in there. 
    Mynatt
  • thedoctor46thedoctor46 UKMember Posts: 206

Fauch said:

surf rescue? it looks like a city set, how did it reach 10000?

I believe the guy who created it had/has skin cancer or some such and was looking to raise awareness. I saw something of the like on social media, this is likely where it got a push. Please correct me if I am wrong, if anyone knows different.
    CM4S
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,445
    is it when exposure to sun can kill you? if so that doesn't sound very compatible with surfing.
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 548
    And here am I, the lone guy fervently hoping the TRON light cycle makes the cut. I was already disappointed by the downfall of Johnny 5.
    SumoLegoRogerKirk
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098

pharmjod said:

Blues Brothers has to win... They're on a mission from God.

Meh.  Too similar to the Ecto series and frankly an ugly model.

I like the idea of the Tron light cycle but I think they could do better with the model and it's too similar to the recent Agent series which underperformed.  

This is actually worst Ideas lineup I've seen.  The Office set is terrible.  Who voted for it?  Fans of the show?  Surf Rescue... Looks like it was designed by a twelve year old (maybe it was? which is cool).  I like the Sega Arcade games and Quest Builder but they have the smallest chance of winning.  Out of the likely winners I'd give my vote to the Jeep.  Not because I would buy it, but because it's the best designed and has the best chance of selling.  It would also be a good break from the Eurocentric cars that Lego usually produces.   

CM4SSumoLego
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,302

pharmjod said:

Blues Brothers has to win... They're on a mission from God.

But doesn't that mean LEGO can't make it because the guidelines say nothing based on religion :-P

honestly I think Ideas has become a strange animal now and it's very hard to predict exactly what will or won't pass.
    catwranglerpharmjod
  • thedoctor46thedoctor46 UKMember Posts: 206

Fauch said:

is it when exposure to sun can kill you? if so that doesn't sound very compatible with surfing.

If you check out 'All About the Brick', on Facebook, they have a post about it, posted 15th April. 
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795

Aanchir said:

I feel like The Blues Brothers has pretty decent chances since like the Back to the Future and Ghostbusters projects, it's a massively successful 80s movie that is frequently rebroadcast on cable networks. Of course, it's not a sci-fi property like those were, so perhaps can't capitalize on the same geek culture trend. The IP has some debatably kid-unfriendly subject matter (profanity, racial slurs, smoking, innuendo, Nazis), but nothing particularly outrageous compared to other properties the LEGO Group has adapted like Indiana Jones or The Big Bang Theory.

Voltron could also have some pretty good chances, I feel. It's ambitious, but perhaps less so than the Saturn V. It's a pretty well realized project that probably doesn't conflict too much with other major themes, and it's based on an inherently "toyetic" property that's managed to generate renewed interest due to the Netflix reboot "Voltron: Legendary Defender". I have no real nostalgia for classic Voltron since it was before my time but I'm loving the new series.

I've always been a fan of the Blues Brothers(I even have a cassette tape album lol), and this would be one I would probably buy.

As to Voltron, why I would dearly love to see this, I believe that Playmates has the licensing for the toy-making, so I don't know if they would be willing to share.

• catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,853
    I would so love Venetian Houses to win; I'd have so much fun customising that to the 15th century! I'm prepared for the possibility of having to just MOC the damn thing myself, though - as with Medieval Water Mill, which I also love, I think the chances of a historic and/or dilapidated building getting the nod so soon after Fisherman's Hut will depend a lot on the sales of that set. 

The Tron Legacy Lightcycle and the SEGA arcade machines seem like they'd have a good chance, capitalising on gamers and geeks of a certain age, a market TLG is evidently aware of given the roster of 80s favourites in Dimensions. I'm fond of the arcade machines but I think I'd rather MOC those than buy an Ideas set.

I would love to see Quest Builder happen, but it seems like if TLG wanted to do modular gaming like that, it would've happened as an extension of the board games theme. Then again, maybe the potential market has grown since then, I dunno...

Fingers crossed VERY hard for Voltron - I've never seen it, but that set is just so inherently awesome. 
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,302

I would love to see Quest Builder happen, but it seems like if TLG wanted to do modular gaming like that, it would've happened as an extension of the board games theme. Then again, maybe the potential market has grown since then, I dunno...

With you on this, I saw the project and thought it was too similar to Heroica - while I really liked Heroica as a concept but it's something LEGO has essentially done fairly recently
    catwrangler
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,317
    And didn't the Lego board games theme got cancelled because interest in them had waned? The recent Maze set also had a relatively short lifespan.
    catwrangler
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    Pretty sure The Blues Brothers was rated 'R' when it came out. I would be surprised if they endorsed it from that angle. Then again, BvS full is also 'R', so who knows. I am guessing TRON or the Jeep have the best chances. I think the Venetian is too big. The watermill is awesome but they will probably hold off until they see how the fisherman set goes. The Power Rangers movie has made a bit of money but is not doing very well overall, so that is probably not going to happen. The quest builder is Heroica redux. Not too sure how successful that system was (though my boys and I still play it). Surf set is too generic and the SEGA games are cool but probably would be either lots of expensive printing or all stickers.

Tl;dr: Probably TRON or the Jeep. Everything else has issues.
    BumblepantsMattDawsoncatwrangler
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,211
    Is no one mentioning the 50s diner or the tram? First chance of a "train" theme Ideas set?
  • lentillentil WisconsinMember Posts: 53
    The Venetian Houses is by far my favorite - just gorgeous. Of course I always love the huge, intricate sets that presumably have little chance of getting produced commercially... sigh. I guess I can hope the Fishing Shop is a winner for them, so they'll be more amenable to producing more large, adult-oriented sets like this in the future.
    catwranglersonsofsceva
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,861

Pretty sure The Blues Brothers was rated 'R' when it came out. I would be surprised if they endorsed it from that angle. Then again, BvS full is also 'R', so who knows. I am guessing TRON or the Jeep have the best chances. I think the Venetian is too big. The watermill is awesome but they will probably hold off until they see how the fisherman set goes. The Power Rangers movie has made a bit of money but is not doing very well overall, so that is probably not going to happen. The quest builder is Heroica redux. Not too sure how successful that system was (though my boys and I still play it). Surf set is too generic and the SEGA games are cool but probably would be either lots of expensive printing or all stickers.

Tl;dr: Probably TRON or the Jeep. Everything else has issues.

Huh, never realized Blues Brothers was rated R. I guess the version I'm used to seeing on TV is probably pretty heavily edited, though. You're right that an R rating could very well kill any chances it might have had in review.
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    Voltron - that's all I want.  :)
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,877
    So, we seem to be mixing comments on the first 2017 review (topic of original post) and the last 2016 review. Voltron, the diner, and the tram were all in the 2016 batch. Will TLG pick winners from both batches separately, or are they all competing against each other?
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 558
    Those SEGA machines are very cool, I definitely want to eventually build an arcade for the town that I haven't started building. If they become a set I would buy those.

The Quest Builder is cool, but TLG has done the games thing before, I doubt that will be a set. I would buy it though.

Love the Medieval Watermill, I would buy that. 
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 836

So, we seem to be mixing comments on the first 2017 review (topic of original post) and the last 2016 review. Voltron, the diner, and the tram were all in the 2016 batch. Will TLG pick winners from both batches separately, or are they all competing against each other?

None of them are really "competing" since they can pick as many or as few from a given batch as they want. The Voltron project in particular has been held over from the last review, meaning that it has yet to be accepted or rejected.
    catwrangler
  • elspankdogelspankdog TexasMember Posts: 403
    Tron or the 50s diner or the only ones that appeal to me
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,905
    Blues Brothers was R solely because of language. It's downright tame by today's standards. I actually think the model is somewhat poorly done and that if selected the official version would actually be better. It's one of my all time favorite movies so I'd buy it but don't expect it will get made. I'm pretty meh on ask of them this go round. Voltron load the coolest to me though.
    SumoLego
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,559
    ^ can you say BTTF DeLorean? The project was better than the official release. That being said I would love the bluesmobile, but can't see it passing.
    edited May 2017
    pharmjod said:
    Blues Brothers was R solely because of language. It's downright tame by today's standards.

It's funny - because there is a lot of objectionable language in the PG rated Goonies and Short Circuit.  Considering there is a 'one swear' limit in PG-13 movies like the Avengers, I laughed.
    CM4Scatwrangler
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,554

Aanchir said:

Huh, never realized Blues Brothers was rated R. I guess the version I'm used to seeing on TV is probably pretty heavily edited, though. You're right that an R rating could very well kill any chances it might have had in review.

Filthy mouths and bad attitudes.
    gmonkey76pharmjod
  • NaptownMVPNaptownMVP Indianapolis Member Posts: 15
    The Sega Arcade is pretty cool, but with all the stickers that would come with it it would look absolutely awful after my shaky hands were done. 

As a kid who had a Voltron Big Wheel in the 80s, the Voltron set would be a Day #1 buy for me.
    edited May 2017
    As a kid who had a Voltron Big Wheel in the 80s, the Voltron set would be a Day #1 buy for me.

After wearing out three Dukes of Hazzard big wheels, I thought the He-Man one was the best thing ever.

Until I sheared the head right off thinking the beak would make a durable battering ram.

Wait, they made a Voltron big wheel!?!?!?

stluxcatwrangler
  • NaptownMVPNaptownMVP Indianapolis Member Posts: 15
    Oh yes.

And the lion mouth on the front would open and close.
    stluxricecakeAanchircatwranglerDedgeckopharmjodSumoLegosonsofscevaThe_Mad_Vulcan
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 416

I can't see anything of interest to me in the 2017 list, which is great because after Saturn V, the Fishing Store, the Carousel and the fact I still haven't picked up Assembly Swuare, I could do with a break!

Having said that, I have everything crossed that the tram gets through from the end of 2016 brunch  :)
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 799
    Or they could pick NONE!!  And we'd all move along, like good whittle sheep.

Bah!
    SumoLego
    edited May 2017
    PeteM said:
    Having said that, I have everything crossed that the tram gets through from the end of 2016 brunch  :)

100x agree.  I think the Trolley is the perfect example of an Ideas set.
    Bumblepants
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,554

SumoLego said:

PeteM said:

100x agree.  I think the Trolley is the perfect example of an Ideas set.

The tram would have been perfect .... for causing arguments about what it should be called.
    sid3windrPeteMSumoLego
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,447
    You could say it's a bit... trolly?
    PeteM
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 416
    edited May 2017
    Whatever it's called, it is unlikely that I would be able to spell it correctly anyway if my last post is anything to go by... I must remember never to comment when exhausted!
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,211
    It's a tram or tramcar - only in the US is the term "trolley" used. (See railway vs railroad, etc.)
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 494
    It's called an "eléctrico", short for carro eléctrico. Portuguese for electric car- a very imaginative name. You can call it tram.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,555
    THIS is  a trolley.
    Image result for lego mr rogers trolley
    bluedragonBumblepantsricecakeAanchirpharmjodSumoLegodavetheoxygenmanCircleK
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 494
    edited May 2017
    This is a trolley

sid3windrstlux
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,447
    ^ My thoughts exactly :)
    bluedragon