Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

How many monorails were there

jim1174jim1174 californiaMember Posts: 1
edited April 2017 in Collecting
How many different monorails did Lego make ?

Comments

• luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 871
    You can search the database really easily from the homepage
    eg
    https://brickset.com/sets/tag-Monorail

3 sets, 2 expansion packs and what looks like 3 service packs.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 977
    #6399 Airport Shuttle
    #6990 Monorail Transport System
    #6991 Monorail Transport Base
    There was also the two following track packs
    #6347 Monorail Accessory Pack
    #6921 Monorail Accessory Pack
    If you click on those set numbers it will take you to the main Brickset listing for each 
    madforLEGO

There was also this MAGNIFICENT beast which was unfortunately never released!
    Galactus
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,246
    looks like a mix of aquanauts and space, quite weird.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,777

Fauch said:

looks like a mix of aquanauts and space, quite weird.

This was "Seatron", a Space theme concept that was eventually developed into Aquazone after they sort of dropped the space aspect. So the similarity is no coincidence.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 871
    Was that a proper mock up for a proposed set?  Never seen it before, but look super cool.  Blue monorail track for where it goes underwater?
    Certainly was! Here's a pic of the undersea creatures factions ships
    Galactus
    And this is what the creatures looked like - twenty five years before we got modified minifig legs!

gmonkey76Bumblepantsstlux
    edited April 2017
    it was a bit like the stingrays.
    actually wasn't it 1989? peg leg?
    sid3windrDedgecko
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 806
    Could have been 25 years before the first molded torso, perhaps?  Not sure if we have a date on when Sea-Tron was in development, but the first molded torso (apart from "stiffy" figs) I believe was in 2012 for Ninjago?

DaveE
  • JCoolJCool Member Posts: 46
    I've always enjoyed seeing the pictures of SeaTron.  Just imagine if Aquazone had a monorail in its first or second wave! 

Has anyone ever tried to recreate these unofficial / prototype sets?  

Fauch said:

it was a bit like the stingrays.
    actually wasn't it 1989? peg leg?

Your entirely correct Fauch - my poorly worded comment was referring to the CMF Faun/Satyr legs. It could also be argued that stuff like Battle Droids had 'modified minifig legs.
    @davee123 I'd assume Seatron was developed around 1990 (going by the inclusion of monorail parts).  This is all assuming that the unreleased monorail actually WAS part of the Seatron theme (as it doesn't share many design and colour similarities to what we know WAS Seatron).

davee123 said:

Could have been 25 years before the first molded torso, perhaps?  Not sure if we have a date on when Sea-Tron was in development, but the first molded torso (apart from "stiffy" figs) I believe was in 2012 for Ninjago?

DaveE

the one you put on top of a regular torso?
    has there been a modified torso that fits on legs?
    and the head? I think I read yoda or jar jar were first to have modified heads, but I don't know.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,777
    edited April 2017

Fauch said:

davee123 said:

DaveE

the one you put on top of a regular torso?
    has there been a modified torso that fits on legs?
    and the head? I think I read yoda or jar jar were first to have modified heads, but I don't know.

Dogpound and Leatherhead from TMNT are the only ones I can think of. Axl from Nexo Knights sort of has one, but it's still a regular torso underneath, just with a unique neck/shoulder/armor piece permanently affixed to it in place of the usual arms.

First modified head was Jar-Jar, I think. Yoda came later (preceded by C-3PO, Chewbacca, and Watto).
    Dedgecko
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 806
    I had been thinking of Lord Garmadon's torso:

Although upon thinking further, that plugs onto the top of another torso, not onto a pair of legs, so... might not count, depending.

DaveE
    ^So technically....it's a head? ;-)
    sid3windr