Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Does anyone have Batman Battle Pod #5004929?

Comments

• floridabrickfloridabrick Central FLMember Posts: 158

SumoLego said:

And frankly, they won't be an employee for very long.  Lego polices that stuff very closely.

Lego DOES police that stuff very closely.  But Merlin?  Not so much.  Let’s not forget that DCs and LLs are run by Merlin.  Merlin doesn’t answer to Lego.  My several years of experience now with LL FL: 

Exclusives are very tightly held (TRU anyone?)
    Many prices are HIGHER than retail (again, TRU tactics)
    Nothing goes on sale (even TRU has sales!)
    PaB is by weight, not by cup (OMG, this way is so much more expensive!)

Basically anything and everything they can do to squeeze the maximum dollar out of every piece of merchandise.  Yes, I get that they’re in business to make money, and they’re not doing anything illegal.  But is it ethical?  Not by TLG’s standards.  They would never allow tactics like these at any Lego Stores.  But what are they going to do about it?  Stop sending them sets?  lol 

Their agreements are that they receive all the same sets and polys that everyone else receives, plus a handful of exclusives each year, some of which they share, others are truly exclusive.  But there are ZERO restrictions placed on anything they receive.  If there are, they’re never followed.  I can’t remember how many times (a lot) that I saw new sets on shelves that I’d never even seen revealed before.  They never wait for TLG’s release dates.  It seems that new sets are put on shelves as soon as they receive them.  Again, what is TLG going to do about it?  Deal with it, because that’s all they can do.  These are only small regional issues after all, that’s if they even see this as a concern in the first place.

The bottom line is that DCs and LLs are “aggressive” (using the nicest possible term here) with selling Lego, and they don’t answer to anyone.  So something like what I propose is happening at Chicago DC is very possible. 

77ncaachamps
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,097
    I find it fascinating that a manager at the very least does not have the authority, or maybe they do and just don't flex their muscle, to prevent people from coming into a store and say buying every last copy of set X.

I guess this can be expanded to say your local walmart or target; if someone comes up to the counter and wants to buy all 20 copies of set X who is to stop them? In a capitalist society they have every right, and are encouraged, to buy whatever they want.

So I don't know, its muddy waters really - do you allow 1 individual to buy up all the stock or prevent them somehow?

I think the best answer is to limit the stock on shelves, so if you have 20 copies of set X, put out 5 copies at a time (for example).
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 758
    Just heard back from LEGOLAND Boston:  Thanks for your message. The only Batman polybag we have right now is The Mini Batmobile, 30521. Unfortunately we cannot say for sure at this time if we’ll get the Battle Pod in in the future.
  • WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 400

I find it fascinating that a manager at the very least does not have the authority, or maybe they do and just don't flex their muscle, to prevent people from coming into a store and say buying every last copy of set X.

I guess this can be expanded to say your local walmart or target; if someone comes up to the counter and wants to buy all 20 copies of set X who is to stop them? In a capitalist society they have every right, and are encouraged, to buy whatever they want.

So I don't know, its muddy waters really - do you allow 1 individual to buy up all the stock or prevent them somehow?

I think the best answer is to limit the stock on shelves, so if you have 20 copies of set X, put out 5 copies at a time (for example).

Unfortunately people will abuse that system too.  We've had a guy admit on another forum that he went into the Manchester Discovery Centre and asked if they had the Batman Battle Pod.  They had 20 in the store room, not yet out on the shelves, but the manager let him buy them all for £5 each before they'd even been displayed.  He's now selling them to people on the forum for £20 each...
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,522
    ^The same thing has happened with #10697 on Walmart Black Friday sales, resellers grab a lot of them and immediately list for resale right on the Walmart website. Since I refuse to buy LEGO from scalpers, it took me a couple of years before I managed to get that set.

For stuff in brick-and-mortar stores, your best bet is to make friends with folks who work there. Buying 20 battle pods might seem excessive, but what if your child was having a party and wanted to give one to each child attending? Would you want that manager to tell you you can only buy two because other people might want to buy them?
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 542
    edited April 2017

Unfortunately people will abuse that system too.  We've had a guy admit on another forum that he went into the Manchester Discovery Centre and asked if they had the Batman Battle Pod.  They had 20 in the store room, not yet out on the shelves, but the manager let him buy them all for £5 each before they'd even been displayed.  He's now selling them to people on the forum for £20 each...

That is a good example of bad management. Other people on this forum will argue that stores only care about selling things and should sell whatever to whoever, but that is a very short sighted plan.

In any size store (big box or small local store) good managers know that the MORE people they make happy, the more likely at least a few of those people will become long term customers. If you make ONE person happy, that's only one person.

So at the Manchester store, one customer is happy, and all other customers are unhappy they didn't get one. Additionally, a number of customers are actually angry that the store would do something like this. Those customers are going to tell others, and the unhappiness and anger spreads.

If the manager had limited those to one per person, they would have 19 happy customers, one angry customer (that doesn't get to make $300 off of the sale of bat pods), and all other customers are unhappy they didn't get one. All the other customers would be fine with the situation because the store sold them fairly and they might be irritated that TLG didn't make enough for everyone but at least they had a shot to get one fairly.

It gets irritating paying second market prices for something that we never had the chance to purchase at RRP. I don't like to unnecessarily add to someone else's wealth and reduce mine simultaneously. 

My solution: don't shop at stores that engage in this behavior, tell others that you know about why you don't shop there, and don't buy from flippers. Eventually I find items at the price I will pay, and if I never do find them at closer to RRP, I don't need them.
    LegogramWatfordScottyM
    ^In Manchester, the other customers might be fine that the store sold them fairly, but in the US everybody who did not get to buy all the ones they wanted are going to be upset, and every one of them will complain to somebody. The guy who wanted to buy all 20 is mad because he didn't get to scalp them and make $300, 11 of the other 19 people are upset because they all wanted two each, but now Timmy and Tammy will have to fight over just one. and the other 753 people who wanted to buy one are upset at the store and at LEGO and at the lucky guy who just got the very last one in the store.

The only viable solution I can think of is for LEGO to make ALL of the items they sell available through their website, so that people who cannot acquire a set by other means can go directly to the source. "Exclusives" could be handled by giving a retailer a time window for exclusive sales, after which LEGO would add the item to their site for sale.
    TyresOFlaherty
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,506
    edited April 2017
    Right let's break out the pitch forks and go get the resellers!

I want a battlepod of my own!!

TheFew said:

Right let's break out the pitch forks and go get the resellers!

I'd like to have one too, but not badly enough to pay a scalper for it. In my view, scalpers and resellers are not the same thing.

Resellers are a valuable part of the AFOL ecosystem, often buying up sets that have languished on the shelves and giving them a home until others get around to buying them. A reseller may have rare items, but a single reseller is unlikely to be the reason an item is rare. 

Scalpers are outfits like ToyWiz that try to buy up all inventory before legitimate customers get a chance to buy at the retailer's advertised price, and then flip it at a substantially higher price. I also count people who buy limited quantity Black Friday deals just to flip the as the worst of all the scalpers. 

Then there are hoarders (like me) who snag all the cheap, used LEGO we can find and clear the shelves when the post-holiday discounts are available, just to add parts to our collections. Did I really need 6 each of the two polybags I found yesterday at Target? No. Do I feel guilty, knowing that they sat there unsold for a month before I bought them all? Not even a little bit.

TheFeweggshenpharmjodBumblepantssnowhitiecatwranglerrd1899
    Sorry...

Right let's break out the pitch forks and go get the scalpers!

datsunrobbieBumblepants
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    edited April 2017
    I won't pretend to have read the last dozen posts in full regarding clearing shelves and other promos, but I can confirm that the manager in the Legoland Studio store in Florida was as tough as they come and I doubt very much she nor any of her staff are responsible for colossal numbers of Batpod polys being taken or sold under the counter.

The Studio Store was closed when we passed it late morning when we visited week before last but on our exit from the park it was open.  I enquired from the guy behind the counter what the deal was and of course he said for each $30 transaction made (buildable sets only) a Batpod was given.  I asked about the possibility of buying a single $200 set and maybe having 6 or 7 and he said it should be okay.  I grabbed the set and returned to the counter just in time for the manager to arrive back from her third lunch I reckon.  SHIT!  Of course, she put a stop to it all stating it was per single transaction and nothing else.  I thought the accent might have helped but she wasn't having any of it.  She was only worried about getting out quick to grab her next Big Mac.  I grabbed a few smaller sets I didn't really want or need and as promised she gave one poly for each $30 transaction.  Thankfully the required $30 was after tax and not before.

She had a great big stash of them in a clear see through sack, possibly 500 or so, but no way was she breaking any rules to let me have one not as per the rules dictated.  I reckon they're kept under lock and key at night.

Name calling can commence now.

TyresOFlahertybandit778datsunrobbieMynatt
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 945
    Name calling @Legoboy
    begins: lucky beggar!

Unfortunately, I'm about to encourage the scalpers on eBay by buying one. They're £24 (the cheapest I've seen in eBay) and as much as I hate to overpay, I think I'll have to.
  • floridabrickfloridabrick Central FLMember Posts: 158

Legoboy said:

I won't pretend to have read the last dozen posts in full regarding clearing shelves and other promos, but I can confirm that the manager in the Legoland Studio store in Florida was as tough as they come and I doubt very much she nor any of her staff are responsible for colossal numbers of Batpod polys being taken or sold under the counter.

The Studio Store was closed when we passed it late morning when we visited week before last but on our exit from the park it was open.  I enquired from the guy behind the counter what the deal was and of course he said for each $30 transaction made (buildable sets only) a Batpod was given.  I asked about the possibility of buying a single $200 set and maybe having 6 or 7 and he said it should be okay.  I grabbed the set and returned to the counter just in time for the manager to arrive back from her third lunch I reckon.  SHIT!  Of course, she put a stop to it all stating it was per single transaction and nothing else.  I thought the accent might have helped but she wasn't having any of it.  She was only worried about getting out quick to grab her next Big Mac.  I grabbed a few smaller sets I didn't really want or need and as promised she gave one poly for each $30 transaction.  Thankfully the required $30 was after tax and not before.

She had a great big stash of them in a clear see through sack, possibly 500 or so, but no way was she breaking any rules to let me have one not as per the rules dictated.  I reckon they're kept under lock and key at night.

Name calling can commence now.

Thank you very much!  Like I was saying...

You guys are all focused on the diabolical flipper/scalper/reseller, or else it's the managers’ fault.  MERLIN’S  POLICIES  MAKE  THINGS  THIS  WAY. 

Granted there really isn’t anything that we or TLG can do about it, but it’s like no one even wants to acknowledge it. 

Break out the pitch forks and go get the theme parks! 

TheFew
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,047
    How much @Legoboy ? ;-)
    jmeninnogmonkey76Legoboy
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    So were you mad that the manager was doing her job?  Or mad she was on just got out of her third lunch?  Just trying to figure out why that was even included in your post.
    I wasn't mad with her.  Frustrated perhaps since many UK managers would normally be happy to use their discretion and add the odd extra to the bag, but no, not there.  No sense of humour, no nothing.  A life-sized robot.

I only mention her lunch as the assistant shared his frustration about her disappearing behind the back again to get something more to eat.  Completely unprofessional but funny as hell.
    TyresOFlaherty
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    All good.  What'd you end up buying a bunch of times to get the pod?
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 542
    floridabrick said:Thank you very much!  Like I was saying...

You guys are all focused on the diabolical flipper/scalper/reseller, or else it's the managers’ fault.  MERLIN’S  POLICIES  MAKE  THINGS  THIS  WAY. 

Granted there really isn’t anything that we or TLG can do about it, but it’s like no one even wants to acknowledge it. 

Break out the pitch forks and go get the theme parks! 

Yes, some people are going to take as much as they can (scalpers), and some people are lazy as heck concerning policies, etc (managers/employees). Lack of direct policy is probably the issue here.

TLG has a lot of power over the stores that they sell to. There are a lot of rules. Breaking said rules results in loss of "benefits" so it is wise to toe the line. They can restrict quantities they will send you, limit shipping breaks, limit categories, there are a bunch of other perks they can give you. 

So if enough people report this type of behavior at the store it might change how things are being managed at said stores. They can't fix what they don't know about.
    TyresOFlaherty

Gooker1 said:

All good.  What'd you end up buying a bunch of times to get the pod?

:)  Just a bunch of SH Micros and Brickheadz.  Nothing spectacular.  I was going to buy the Silent Mary, but no.  :(
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,509
    Yeah, sorry to turn this thread it a bash fest of those hoarding, but I think it is not irrational to be a manager that says 'Look I would like to ensure many people can get these, so tell you what.. Come back in 30 days, then you can buy as much as you want, and I will not stop the transaction. '
    I get you cannot stop people outright.. capitalism, yadda yadda yadda, but I think staving off the hoarders to ensure folks can at least get one or two should mean that either way the store gets it money.
    gmonkey76SeanTheCollector
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993

Legoboy said:
    SNIP

I enquired from the guy behind the counter what the deal was and of course he said for each $30 transaction made (buildable sets only) a Batpod was given.  I asked about the possibility of buying a single $200 set and maybe having 6 or 7 and he said it should be okay.  I grabbed the set and returned to the counter just in time for the manager to arrive back from her third lunch I reckon.  SHIT!  Of course, she put a stop to it all stating it was per single transaction and nothing else. 
    SNIP

So, by extrapolation, if you had of been 5 minutes earlier , you could have bought $600 dollars in sets and walked away with 20 battle pods. 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,405
    Do you have to go in the park to get access to the store?
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 961

SumoLego said:

Do you have to go in the park to get access to the store?

No. They charge you full admission price (~$99 with tax) and will refund if you come back within an hour. It's right by the gate so plenty of time. 
    Bah, now that's ridiculous.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    Keep in mind, the studio store isn't the store right by the gate. It's not far into the park, but it's not the bigger store near the front.
    LegoboySumoLego
    And keep in mind that polys, keyrings, apparel and other tat are not included in the promotion.  Needs to be boxed buildable bricks.

Oh, and the car park is £10 and not refundable.

Studio is here.....

SumoLegobandit778MAGNINOMINISUMBRALego_Star
    Oh, good grief.
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 654

jmeninno said:

Just heard back from LEGOLAND Boston:  Thanks for your message. The only Batman polybag we have right now is The Mini Batmobile, 30521. Unfortunately we cannot say for sure at this time if we’ll get the Battle Pod in in the future.

Thanks for doing the research for me. Now I don't have to check myself.
  • exciter1exciter1 Member Posts: 220

Legoboy said:

And keep in mind that polys, keyrings, apparel and other tat are not included in the promotion.  Needs to be boxed buildable bricks.

Studio is here.....

Studio store is to the right of the Big Store right as you come in the park. I was able to buy 3x LEGO Batman Movie Figure/Accessory packs to get the free Battle Pod.  Note: They're marked up to $15 ($2 more) at the park, but they've been Sold Out online for quite some time.  LEGOLand Big Store has tons of the TBM Accessory Packs.
    They were giving those accessory packs out as part of a promotion in March, but didn't do a great job of "promoting" the promotion. Not surprised they have a ton left.

And yes, they'll refund your ticket to the park if you're just shopping, but not your parking fee. Parking is $15 purchased ahead of time. $17 at the park. So if you're just going there to get the Battle Pod, you're out $15-17 to start. Part of the reason I haven't driven over there to get one. With gas, I'd be out $40-45 before I even bought anything to get it. For that, I might as well just buy one online.
    SumoLegoPitfall69bandit778
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    hope these get a wide release and sclapers are stuck with these battle bod they cant sell
    jmeninnodatsunrobbie
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 758
    Hope so, too...but how long do I hold out hope for?
    ^ I'm giving it a little while longer. Or, alternatively, if I can get one anytime soon for under $40, I may just pull the trigger. Will I kick myself if I can eventually get it for less, sure, but this is also high on my want list, so I'll be okay with it.

I traded 3 polybags for Kiss Kiss Batman and not even 2 weeks later, Legoland Florida was giving it out free with a very minimal spend and I got another one. I could kick myself over "paying" about $20 for the first one and getting the second for free after buying sets I would've bought anyway, but now I have 2 of them and oh well. Not gonna dwell on it when I knew I really, REALLY wanted that one.
    TyresOFlahertystarwars4everstluxSumoLego
  • DaraghDaragh IrelandMember Posts: 363
    A Quick look through that eBay sellers Sold list shows several LEGO Employee aprons sold, so I doubt it someone just buying up whatever stock they can, it has to be somebody "inside" or close to someone "inside". I lost count of how many VW sets were sold!  
  • KazJYKazJY Member Posts: 67
    Regarding the Schaumburg IL Legoland guy.  I shop there too.  I'm happy to say something next time there, or just talk to a manager.  Reminds me of the time I went to (Schaumburg, of all places) TRU to get Electro, and they were like "yeah, some guy bought all 50 that we had!"  I'll just stop shopping there otherwise.  
    madforLEGOgmonkey76
    The married members of the forum must recognise my anxieties here:
    So now the pod is just under £20 on eBay... But it's not about the money.
    Realistically, what are the chances of this being the 'gift with purchase' for the summer set releases or showing up in another way?

If this turns up at toys r us for a fiver I'll be gutted - not for the money but for the headache of the row with my wife. I can almost hear her now: "you paid twenty quid for a piece of plastic that they're now giving away..."

Is it worth the row with my wife?
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,097

LuLego said:

Realistically, what are the chances of this being the 'gift with purchase' for the summer set releases or showing up in another way?

If this turns up at toys r us for a fiver I'll be gutted - not for the money but for the headache of the row with my wife. I can almost hear her now: "you paid twenty quid for a piece of plastic that they're now giving away..."

No.
    bandit778mmozzanoSumoLegodatsunrobbiecatwrangler
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 725

LuLego said:

No.

Nothing is ever worth a row with the wife..EVER!
    bandit778SumoLegodatsunrobbie
    Apart from a battle pod. They are well worth a barny.
    MaffyD
    There could be a whole separate thread dedicated to 'Lego related relationship arguments.'

Twenty quid on a minifig (which could well be the next freebie) could be testing though! She went mad when I bought the silver centurion... but that one was worth the argument.
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,278
    @LuLego You tell your wife how much you pay for your sets + what the current price is?! Keeping your spouse blissfully unaware is key!

As long as I don't bankrupt us/my Lego spending doesn't interfere with anything my wife finds important, my spending on plastic bricks does not come up in conversation.

But yes, as others have already said, nothing is worth a row with your wife. Even a battle pod. My wife doesn't need to know how much I paid for my two battle pods. Not  sharing all the details of my hobby is not the same as lying!
    sid3windr

stlux said:

@LuLego You tell your wife how much you pay for your sets + what the current price is?! Keeping your spouse blissfully unaware is key!

As long as I don't bankrupt us/my Lego spending doesn't interfere with anything my wife finds important, my spending on plastic bricks does not come up in conversation.

But yes, as others have already said, nothing is worth a row with your wife. Even a battle pod. My wife doesn't need to know how much I paid for my two battle pods. Not  sharing all the details of my hobby is not the same as lying!

Holy crap..try saying that last line to my wife....:-D
    SumoLegoeggshensid3windr
    My wife finds out EVERYTHING!

You know you're a Lego addict when you go to the cash machine to draw out cash and leave your 'shopping' in the car until your other half has gone out!

I could stop if I wanted to...

LuLego said:

My wife finds out EVERYTHING!

You know you're a Lego addict when you go to the cash machine to draw out cash and leave your 'shopping' in the car until your other half has gone out!

I could stop if I wanted to...

Buuuutt!...
    edited April 2017
    TheFew said:

I think you are confusing a Bat-Pod with a Battle Pod.  The Bat-Pod is worth the strife.
    gmonkey76bandit778
  • mh3490mh3490 NW Indiana Member Posts: 318
    @LuLego just give your wife 20 quid for whatever she wants and then buy it if she finds out just say hey I gave you a 20 quid purchase grief free I expect the same... always works for me 
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,682
    It helps if your other half is interested in something equally frivolous. Every so often I regret having a shared bank account (for more reasons than just the obvious one), but in general I think openness and inclusion is the way to go. YMMV however!
    catwrangler
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401

LuLego said:

TheFew said:

How about a row with Barney?
    BumblepantsYodaliciousstluxgmonkey76piratemania7sid3windrricecakeSumoLegoJohnyk668
  • TyresOFlahertyTyresOFlaherty USAMember Posts: 340
    edited May 2017
    Thread + @Pitfall69 =

gmonkey76