Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Question on Minifigure quality (Chrome C-3P0)

Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 526
Hoping someone can advise.

Attached are pictures of the Chrome Threepio minifigure. If you look at the underarm area, there are differences between the right side and the left side.

I'm assuming the difference has to do with the painting/chroming process and that the figure isn't actually "damaged" seeing as the arm would have been covering the "damaged" area anyway when getting painted.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

LEFT SIDE

RIGHT SIDE

Comments

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,834
    edited March 2017
    I don't have the pitted paint job on mine but I do have the tan armpits.  I thought I had acquired a fake but then read somewhere  that the sweaty pits were an inherent defect across the board.  Relief!

Your paint job does look really bad though.

Just found this.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lego+chrome+sweaty+armpits+c3po&rlz=1C1CAFA_enGB690GB690&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiw5pWI3PvSAhWFEywKHeGLB9kQ_AUICCgB&biw=1920&bih=1070#imgrc=0kwm1sTSnoKvyM:
    Muftak1
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,929
    The unsprayed armpits are a rather unfortunate consequence of way they make the chrome figures. TC-4 is the same.

Muftak1
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    ^TC-14 perhaps?
    CCC
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,395
    When the figures are chromed their arms are placed in front of them which leaves part of their sides un-chromed- the "sweaty armpit".

Yours is definitely a poor chrome job, I've seen it before. If you're asking for authentication, unfortunately you can't really do that anymore for Chrome C-3POs. Fakes of that figure have been circulating for years now. The only definitive way to know if it's real now is if you open it from the bag yourself.
    Muftak1
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,929
    Pitfall69 said:
    ^TC-14 perhaps?
    Yes. I blame autocorrect.
    SumoLego
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 526
    I know he is the genuine article - I opened the poly bag myself. 

I just wanted to confirm that this isn't "damage" but just a side effect of the painting/chroming process. 

Thanks for for all the replies!
    SumoLego