Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Star Wars summer sets 2012

13»

Comments

• Great_small76Great_small76 Member Posts: 23
    The Jabba figure would have inflated the price per piece - although as you say it is overpriced - should be more like 12 cents a pieces. I can see Lego having to reduce this price at some point. I'm out on this one.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    ^^ Yeah, but some of those pieces are big. Look at Jabba and the roof pieces. Plus 10 minifigures and the print job. I think it is about $20 overpriced but I will still buy it.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I am not at all convinced that the size of the parts really means much, the plastic itself can't cost that much...

I would think the time each part has to spend in the molds, plus the number of molds they need running at one time, would have more effect on the cost of the part..

Plastic toys are not expensive to make, large numbers of small parts are. Jabba of course costs more than a 1x2 brick does, but I doubt that it costs the same to produce as whatever number of 1x2 bricks weigh the same as Jabba does in plastic.

Just thinking outloud...
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    For Jabba's Palace, there seems to be a lot of brick-built walls (as opposed to large molded pieces, and there are several large pieces such as Jabba himself (a lot of plastic) and the dishes for the roof. I'm wondering if there is a way to factor cost based on weight of plastic, not just number of pieces.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    @LegoFanTexas makes a good point - the amount of expense it takes to design and create Jabba, a cost they can only recoup in this single set.
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    @LegoFanTexas makes a good point - the amount of expense it takes to design and create Jabba, a cost they can only recoup in this single set.
    Maybe, but still $30 more than a set with the same amount of pieces, yes even SW sets, is still a little extreme. I could easily see paying 89.99 for this set but $119.99? Pass as even the LotR sets don't have that much of a mark up.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    @richo, I had wondered if we might "get away" with £99.99 in the UK. A comparison has already been made with the Hoth Base set which was £91.99 at 773 pieces, with a small mark up from there. That said, I see the US RRP for that set was $89.99, so maybe not...
  • AMJames84AMJames84 Member Posts: 5
    Just check out www.toyark.com. They have alot of coverage from the 2012 ToyFair.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Is it normal that the lego at NY Toy Fair has prices yet the lego at London and Nuremberg didn't? Just wondered if thats just the way it is or perhaps Lego are still finalising RRP and considering the ongoing economic situation in Europe? There also doesn't seem to be any logic at all to the US/UK RRP sometimes they're 1$=1£ sometimes closer to reality...

The skiff seems like a bargain but Jabba's Palace a little overpriced but it is packed full of minifigs.
  • canuhandle23canuhandle23 Member Posts: 104
    120 for jabba and not even 800 pieces. You really are paying for the minifigs in this set. This will be a set that will have to be heavily discounted even with my discount i wont touch it for that price. Will patiently wait for the r2d2 since everything I have heard has been great.
  • Firox5000Firox5000 Member Posts: 61
    With the palace at $119.99, I expect it will be £99.99. If it's any more than that, I will not buy it.
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    @luckyruss you may be refering to one of my posts comparing the price of hoth base to jabba's palace. I will have to agree with you and say that a ton for this is unlikely. I went back and thought about it and the jabba set does have some huge pieces and some much more detailed and complex figs (not least Jabba) when compared to the hoth base atrosity. I also see demand for this being higher given the positive response the set is getting (again compared to the hoth mess) this could be factored in aswell by those sneaky TLG folks, I think we can all agree that @richo is likely right on the nose with the 120 comment.
    edited February 2012
    @brickupdate not sure I agree that costs for jabba can only be recouped from this set, what about the sail barge, he was in the last one and seems likely that we will get one next year (hopefully).
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    @bellybutton290,

oow, good call on the Sail Barge re-use. or how about the deleted scene where Han stands on his tail? It could be called 'Jabba's warning'.

this reminds me of a listing that made me laugh that I once saw on ebay. Somebody accidently titled the listing for set 4475 'Jabba's Massage'. The mind boggles...
    ^awesome, Sail barge needs to happen TLG! You've redone the rest of the jabba stuff beautifully, now onto that.
  • wertyjjwertyjj Member Posts: 64
    edited February 2012
    Does anyone have any pictures of Lego Star Wars Senator Palpatines Arrest?
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    Does anyone have any pictures of Lego Star Wars Senator Palpatines Arrest?
    I'd like to see this as well.

So far i'll only be purchasing Jabba's Palace, Desert Skiff and the Advent Calendar in 2012. Good news for me as there are plenty of 2010-2011 sets I would still like to grab.

• CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Thing about plastic molds, only the cost of producing that mold in the first place is higher then other molds. But once the mold is set to produce the required pieces or bricks the cost can be justified. Only thing need to be calculated is how much of a plastic is used to create that certain molded piece. But I guess TLG has a higher price on Jabba's head is to maintain its overall after value.
    Just read this on eurobricks. Has this set passed me by? Don't remember seeing anything on the various toy fair images and pics?

New information for 9526 Palpatines Arrest:

Available from August 2012
    Price: 89,99 EUR
    Pieces: 645
    Weight: 1,2 kg
    Box measure: 540x282x79 mm

• samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,372
    ^ Think that this was a unanimous fan request and therefore there have yet to be any pictures released by LEGO.
    Cheers,
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,866
    ^^ I was expecting something smallish. Now I'm intrigued!
    ^ On a price per piece it's rather high, I guess it's going to be very minifigure focused. No surprise there then...
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ figure Palpatine, Anakin, and Windu at least. Maybe the other 2 Jedis as well?
    It could be a mock up of Palpatine's Office.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,269
    ^ Not sure what else it would be but I still can't see it being exciting. Not like his office is a signature location or anything.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^ figure Palpatine, Anakin, and Windu at least. Maybe the other 2 Jedis as well?
    Three other Jedi. Saesee Tiin, Agen Kolar and Kit Fisto. Anakin actually strikes me as the least likely for this set, as he has nothing to do with the 'arrest' portion of the scene. This hasn't stopped TLG before, of course... so I'll say Zuckuss and 4-LOM finally show up for no reason at all.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Three other Jedi. Saesee Tiin, Agen Kolar and Kit Fisto. Anakin actually strikes me as the least likely for this set, as he has nothing to do with the 'arrest' portion of the scene. This hasn't stopped TLG before, of course... so I'll say Zuckuss and 4-LOM finally show up for no reason at all.
    Having not watched the movie in at least 5 years, you'll forgive me for not knowing it was 3 others and not just 2. ;-)

As for Anakin, it's only a stretch if you get hung up up in the set name. Calling the set "The arrest" is just a name, and probably an inaccurate one. While he wasn't there at the moment of arrest, he quickly showed up and played the pivotal role in the ultimate outcome of the scene, which was really by far the most important part. I'm sure the focus of the set is actually the Windu/Palpatine showdown, as that is where the action is. You pretty much have to include Anakin in that, and he fits in there far better than Saesee, Agen, and Kit do. Though I wouldn't put it past LEGO to include one or more of them of course, especially as a set-exclusive.
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    edited March 2012
    More pictures of 9497 Republic Starfighter and 9500 Sith Fury-Class Interceptor:
    imageimage
    Though I wouldn't put it past LEGO to include one or more of them of course, especially as a set-exclusive.
    If they only go with one of the 'fodder' Jedi, logic dictates it should be Kit. I think he hangs in the fight for a staggering five seconds before being easily dispatched in one of the dumbest scenes in the films. Agen and Saesee lasted literally less than a second.

Transversely, there currently is no minifig for Agen... so I could see them throwing him in there in spite of the fact that he was the first to be killed (if they don't include all four of the arresting party).
    ^ He only hangs in there for 5 seconds because he's the third to be killed. They all die to one swipe of palpatine's sabre. Definitely one of the dumbest scenes. All three of them were "masters" so I would assume they would last at least long enough to each have a 30 second fight with him, but with all 4 there it shouldve been a lot longer of a scene.
    If they only go with one of the 'fodder' Jedi, logic dictates it should be Kit. I think he hangs in the fight for a staggering five seconds before being easily dispatched in one of the dumbest scenes in the films. Agen and Saesee lasted literally less than a second.
    Man, I couldn't agree more...

It rather felt like, "hmm, how do we knock out all these Jedi Masters who aren't off fighting the war, how about we make them useless in a fight and the Palpatine kills them in 5 seconds.

Maybe it was the small space, but really, 4 Jedi Masters couldn't handle a single Sith Lord.

No wonder the Jedi lost...
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    edited March 2012
    $120 for Jabba's Palace is a rip. It will only take an hour to build and looks incomplete. I still don't quite get the love for Lego Star Wars. The ships are alright but the playsets (with possible exception to the Death Star) look half-assed and are overpriced.
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    edited March 2012
    Well at least in the Clone Wars Kit Fisto and Plo Koon are shown some appreciation. Those personalities are much more plausible than getting swiped down by an old man in the movie.

^Plo Koon isn't actually in the scene in question. He gets shot down by generic clones.
    ^Plo Koon isn't actually in the scene in question. He gets shot down by generic clones.
    Another thing that is so sad... The Jedi are so great, until they all become dumb, blind, and stupid all at the same time.

Oh well, I just have to remember it is a movie. :)
  • vader34mtvader34mt Member Posts: 88
    ^not Yoda...he says take your "Order 66" and shove it

but to stay on topic, I'm curious to see what the set looks like...there are a lot of directions they could take this set, but at that price point they better nail it
    What this set could possibly consist of besides five or six minifigs in an incredibly boring room and hallway, I couldn't say. How this is considered one of the most desirable sets to be made is far beyond me.
  • pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    It could be kind of neat if they expand the idea and make Yoda and the Emperor fighting on a pair of the senate things from the chamber. I doubt thats what it is but that would be a pretty sweet set up. Sadly I'm a whore for Star Wars so I'll end up with it either way.
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    Does anybody know when these sets release? Little guys birthday is June 28th and I'm wondering whether they should be available by then or not.
    I believe they said August at Toy Fair, but I looked just now and couldn't actually figure out where I originally read that info.
    On Brickset's main page in the article archives, it was listed as August along with Lord of the rings.
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    i have to chime in to defend Kitt, hes my favorite jedi....sidious fights using an ancient lightsaber form, that hadn't really been used for a milenia, i dont remember what its called,(y2josh probably remembers)...and i believe Mace Windu, uses this same form somewhat, but its frowned apon, its considered dirty fighting by jedi....so the other jedi wouldn't know how to defend against it, hence they go down way to fast, and mace windu, lasting longer since he is familiar with the form......i want to say its called "Vapad form", but i dont recall.
    I don't actually believe Sidious has a named lightsaber form. It's definitely not Vaapad, though, as Windu himself originated that style. It could be Juyo, which was Maul's fighting style, but it seems more likely that Palpatine uses a hybrid of forms, adapting to his opponent.

Regardless, I still disagree that he would be able to EASILY dispatch THREE Jedi Masters in seconds. We can chalk Agen up to the element of surprise... but Saesee and Kit... at least as they've been portrayed in the EU, should NOT have gone down without any kind of fight.
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    TY sir, i somehow knew you would be the man to remember.
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    edited April 2012
    More images of Queen Amidala from the 9499 Gungan Sub to get you excited. :)
    (via HothBricks)
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    On the topic of Kit Fisto and the others getting creamed by Palpatine - I think that the Clone Wars have written the movies into an interesting box. There is no way the same characters portrayed in the cartoons are going to be saber and clone fodder like they are in the movie. If the clones get the Jedi, instead of the three clones and a bad green screen taking out Aaeyla Secura, for example, they should have a bird's eye view of hundreds of clones, with turbo tanks, converging on a single jedi in the middle. That would be believably consistent. Then, they should have Palpatine systematically eradicate those Jedi in an extended fight across the floor with his office on it, rather than the 'Sauron and the War of the Ring' kind of one hit crowd kills.

On topic, though, I hope they do use the senate chamber, or the office and the chamber on small scales, to make the scene interesting.
    ^ The stories that have unfolded in the EU (to me) definitely paint a picture that keep me from thinking the Palpatine scene would go down the way they did it in the movie. But the clones killing the Jedi I can believe. They're all supposed to be "minding their surroundings" as is part of their teachings but the weaknesses of some of the Jedi's is shown throughout the movies and cartoons so it is believable to me that their "vision" is clouded to not see that coming from people they have learned to trust. Yoda sees it of course but then the entire council wasn't able to see that Palpatine was a sith and you would think that they'd be able to sense that "the force is strong" with someone near by as they always seem to be able to do otherwise.
  • Firox5000Firox5000 Member Posts: 61
    The seven (main) sets are now availible in Lego shop uk. The prices as follows,
    Desert Skiff £24.99 which is quite reasonable
    Saesse tins Starfighter £29.99, kinda overpriced and should be £24.99
    Republic Striker £39.99 , a tad pricey should be £34.99
    Gungan sub £54.99, cheaper than I expected :) still a little pricey though
    Fury Class interceptor £79.99, expected, a bit pricey
    Malevolance £99.99, fairly reasonable,
    Jabba's Palace £119.99, way overpriced, £99.99 is the most ill pay (should really be £89.99).