Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] Sales at Amazon

Comments

• prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,902
    Here's another site with some interesting deals right now - Jet.com. Buy more, get more off as well with those not familiar with their format. 
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,804
    edited February 2017
    ^- Any specific examples?
    Also I think there is a separate thread for Jet.com deals
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 590
    edited February 2017

The caterham is back down to $59.99. Picked one up last week from the deal mentioned by @77ncaachamps (Thank you!). It's a great set absolutely worth picking up if you are on the fence about it.

LEGO Ideas Caterham Seven 620R 21307 Building Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GGCDK66/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_W5dTybXXX968E
    madforLEGO
    Wish the F40 would be reduced like that
    MynattSethro3
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    edited February 2017
    Mynatt said:

The caterham is back down to $59.99. Picked one up last week from the deal mentioned by @77ncaachamps (Thank you!). It's a great set absolutely worth picking up if you are on the fence about it.

LEGO Ideas Caterham Seven 620R 21307 Building Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GGCDK66/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_W5dTybXXX968E
    Good price (25% discount) considering the BN sale is over.
    (It was $53.99 with 25% off + membership 10% discount at BN last week.)
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 981
    Deals on Dimensions today, all from 3rd party sellers:

#71202 Simpsons Level Pack $7.98
    #71203 Portal 2 Level Pack $9.30
    #71206 Scooby Doo Level Pack $11.30

People loading up on the deals at a 99 cents store and selling?  Hmmmm...

77ncaachampsClutchPower
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    ^Based on my recent experience, Ebay is a better deal
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,902
    teal93mr2 said:

I think you'll see those as the standard prices for awhile and even drop from there. The supply seems to be huge at the 99 Cents stores and they aren't even selling out at this point with more stock in their warehouses. 
    pharmjod
  • UberbrickUberbrick OregonMember Posts: 83
    Wish the F40 would be reduced like that
    I know, right?
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    edited March 2017
    prevere said:
    teal93mr2 said:

I think you'll see those as the standard prices for awhile and even drop from there. The supply seems to be huge at the 99 Cents stores and they aren't even selling out at this point with more stock in their warehouses. 
    Hmmmm. My stores are dry...
    Like all opportunities, there's a window and then, poof it's gone.
  • StillBuildingStillBuilding Member Posts: 23
    Amazon has the 60150 pizza van 20% off.  I'm just getting back into Lego and love this set.  Can you guys give me an idea if this is a good discount for this one?  Thanks!
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 806
    ^Yes. City sets typically don't see much more of a discount than that. Plus it is a fantastic set. I picked it up at full retail price with no regrets!
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    20% is not bad at all, but unless you're just in a hurry, most of the city vehicles hit 30-40% off at some point from my experience. Some more than that. I expect to see the pizza van for $12-$14 or lower before it is gone in the next year or two.
    77ncaachampsPitfall69rd1899exciter1
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 800
    Quite a few of the new city sets just dropped 20%.
  • dspigeldspigel Seoul, KoreaMember Posts: 446
    ^^ ugh bad news for my bank account. Good thing I already have most of them.
    #60051 High speed Train is on sale for $119.
    madforLEGO
    edited March 2017
    dspigel said:
    Decent if you need one right now, but otherwise I would wait as it has gotten down to under 100 a few times late last year. Guessing it will do the same this year as well.
    dspigelPitfall69
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,509
    edited March 2017
    dspigel said:
    Decent if you need one right now, but otherwise I would wait as it has gotten down to under 100 a few times late last year. Guessing it will do the same this year as well.
    Yes, especially since we are due for replacement trains in '18. Although given the current rate of attrition in Lego sets we will get a locomotive and helicopter carrier car and no power functions for a RRP of $250 next so buy the current ones while you can.
    dspigelmadforLEGOPitfall69Dedgecko
    dspigel said:
    Yes, especially since we are due for replacement trains in '18. Although given the current rate of attrition in Lego sets we will get a locomotive and helicopter carrier car and no power functions for a RRP of $250 next so buy the current ones while you can.
    Not sure. I really wonder how many trains they are selling at 199.99 USD. Especially when the retailers that are selling them have been dropping the prices by 30-40% at least and sometimes to 50%. The Heavy Duty Hauler or whatever it is called (The TRU exclusive in the US) I think has even been discounted to 20% by LEGO themselves a few times already.
    LEGO may keep trying to hike prices but I have a feeling that retailers may not be buying them much at a hefty price tag if they have to constantly discount them to move them in their warehouses.

That said, LEGO does not really care, so yeah... they probably will be hiking them again.
    edited March 2017
    As of this post:
    Creator #31051 Lighthouse point is at44.63 (26% off)
    #60103 Air show is at 58.99 (34% off)
    #60104 Airport terminal is 77.99 (22% off)
    Star Wars Expanded character encyclopedia (the one with White Boba Fett) is 10.59 now (44% off)
    Pitfall69monstblitz
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 485
    Star Wars Expanded character encyclopedia (the one with White Boba Fett) is 10.59 now (44% off)
    Does it come with the exclusive white rangfinder? ;)
    Pitfall69Bumblepantsdavetheoxygenman
    Does it come with the exclusive white rangfinder? ;)
    I dunno, I did not check the fine print. Maybe that is why it is so cheap... ;)
    77ncaachamps
  • nhyonenhyone Member Posts: 145
    It is advantageous for TLG to set a high RRP and offer discounts.

1. It catches first-day purchasers

2. After the sales taper off, offer discount

3. It is easier to offer discount than raise the price

4. If the set is unexpectedly long-running, just keep to the RRP and don't offer any discount (Hedge against inflation.)
    KingAlanI
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 943
    #31047 Propeller Plane 35% off ($12.97).

Ordered my 2nd and 3rd copy.
    edited March 2017
    LEGO #70909 Batcave Break-in 74.96 (25% off)
    Nelly
  • paul88paul88 Member Posts: 169
    How does amazon handle shipping large sets?  I missed out on the sandcrawler from LEGO and I'm now considering buying one from amazon.  I'm deathly afraid that the box will arrive damaged or mangled though since I've not been impressed with their packaging of much less expensive items in the past. 

Do they treat sets of this size/value any different when it comes to packaging?
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 483
    paul88 said:
    How does amazon handle shipping large sets?  I missed out on the sandcrawler from LEGO and I'm now considering buying one from amazon.  I'm deathly afraid that the box will arrive damaged or mangled though since I've not been impressed with their packaging of much less expensive items in the past. 

Not in my experience, and neither does [email protected]  Doesn't really seem like any major retailer does, for that matter (TRU, Target, Walmart).
    paul88 said:

Not in my experience, and neither does [email protected]  Doesn't really seem like any major retailer does, for that matter (TRU, Target, Walmart).
    I figured as much
    I don't know what happened to my last comment, but it was cut off.... I said "I figured as much"...and went on to say.. to them, it's probably just another "toy" they are throwing in a box.  I may have better luck with ebay where I can talk to a seller about packaging well, but prices are higher.  Then again, with amazon prime, the time from when it's packed to when it arrives is very quick, so there is less transit time for "something" to happen to it.
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 483
    paul88 said:
    I don't know what happened to my last comment, but it was cut off.... I said "I figured as much"...and went on to say.. to them, it's probably just another "toy" they are throwing in a box.  I may have better luck with ebay where I can talk to a seller about packaging well, but prices are higher.  Then again, with amazon prime, the time from when it's packed to when it arrives is very quick, so there is less transit time for "something" to happen to it.

Yeah, you can only hope with eBay but at least there's a chance you'll actually get someone who'll listen.  When I sell anything on eBay, I pack as well as I can because I'm super picky when it comes to box/packaging condition and the extra $1 or $2 I'd spend on packing material and postage is worth it just to minimize complaints or negative feedback that the item got damaged in transit.  Some sellers just don't get that or care.

Unfortunately, for the people who work for big box retailers, your item is just 1 of 10s/100s they'll be packing in a day.  You'd hope that at least [email protected] would fare better since Lego is familiar with the collector niche.  But even if there's a Lego enthusiast packing your box, all of that doesn't matter when yours is the 356th set packed this week and there's just an hour left until quitting time.  That's the way I see it anyway.  I usually expect anything I order online to arrive in less than stellar conditions these days.  It tempers expectations and lessens the heartache.

rd1899
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    paul88 said:

I ordered a brick bank from Amazon recently and it came without any packaging, with the shipping labels glued directly to the lego box and beat up.

So yes, they do treat large sets differently. At least small sets get put in some sort of box or envelope.
    edited March 2017
    bea said:
    paul88 said:

I ordered a brick bank from Amazon recently and it came without any packaging, with the shipping labels glued directly to the lego box and beat up.

So yes, they do treat large sets differently. At least small sets get put in some sort of box or envelope.

Wow, that's awful!!!  It would seem my best bet then is ebay and communicating with the seller before buying.

@MugenPower:
    I agree on the seller viewpoint.  When I used to sell on ebay, I more or less "bullet proofed" my packaging.  You are correct as well about the attitude or approach of most workers who pack the boxes....just get it done and move on to the next one.

Thanks for the comments!
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    bea said:
    paul88 said:

I've purchased a few larger sets from them, they have always come in a box, never with just a shipping label affixed. That's terrible of them. 
    I've also purchased a few large sets from amazon. They've always come in a box. The only time I've had one without and outer packaging was from a 3rd party vendor. Even items sold by 3rd party but fulfilled by amazon had outer packaging. Ultimately it's buyer beware.
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    I've never had them slap a label directly on the box either, but I have seen some items where you have to explicitly check a box on the page to indicate you want it in a shipping box.
    Astrobricks
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    It probably depends on who packs your order. I've received other (non-lego) items from Amazon which also arrived only in the product box with no shipping materials.

I've also purchased other large lego sets which came in a box. For example, the Ghostbusters firehouse came in an enormous box (with some paper "padding" and consequently also beat up).

I've also purchased a few dimensions sets. Sometimes they come in great condition in a properly sized cardboard sleeve or box. Other times, they come with the flap bent double, shoved into an envelope or box that is too small and arrive looking like they've been stomped on.

• YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    Most of the time, Amazon will indicate if it may be shipped without a box. I've seen this on several non-LEGO things I've ordered. I could select if I wanted an outer shipping box. Of course I say "most" of the time. 
    ricecake said:
    I've never had them slap a label directly on the box either, but I have seen some items where you have to explicitly check a box on the page to indicate you want it in a shipping box.
    I've had this happen with an Ewok Village and Ferris Wheel. It sucks when it happens. But I've ordered a ton from Amazon, including other big sets when this did not happen, so my issues are happening less than 1% of the time, which I'm ok with.
    #10249 Holiday Toy Shop is 64.88 (19% off)
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,969
    ^SOOO tempting....
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,663
    #42055 Bucket Wheel Excavator Building Kit $198.25 29% off
    DedgeckomadforLEGO
    ^ Back to $219.99
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 496
    My order for the E.T. dimensions was finally cancelled today. Just like the Gremlins one a few weeks ago.
    ^ Yeah, got mine cancelled too, I ordered one from Target only 2 or 12+ stores in my area had some in stock so I didn't want to take a chance.
    My order for the E.T. dimensions was finally cancelled today. Just like the Gremlins one a few weeks ago.
    It is the first time I had Amazon cancel something on me (at least in my recollection)
    Amazon cancelled my Sonic dimensions pack on me as well. Also the first time I had ever had that happen.
  • thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 272
    Yep, same here.  First the Gremlins and now E.T.  First and second ever cancellations from them...
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    Me too. I guess I'm gonna have to buy them at retail price. That's disappointing.