Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

71042 Pirates of the Caribbean D2C

Comments

• DevastatorDevastator Member Posts: 66
    This is a set I'm going to have to see on display to be able to make a final decision about. I want to like it, but this is pretty far outside the box.
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 915
    As far as the set itself goes, I'm liking it so far.  I may very well end up picking this up due to the unpredictability of the possibility that this set may end up heavily scalped not long after its release (like the Jurassic World sets).

As for the Chinese bootleggers, it is truly unbelievable.  They must lurk around this forum every day.
    You mean they have spies within the TLG group in Europe and in China? I don't see how lucking around in a Lego fan forum would get them anywhere.
  • ChakorChanningChakorChanning United StatesMember Posts: 17
    edited March 2017
    Recce said:
    As far as the set itself goes, I'm liking it so far.  I may very well end up picking this up due to the unpredictability of the possibility that this set may end up heavily scalped not long after its release (like the Jurassic World sets).

As for the Chinese bootleggers, it is truly unbelievable.  They must lurk around this forum every day.
    You mean they have spies within the TLG group in Europe and in China? I don't see how lucking around in a Lego fan forum would get them anywhere.

How about the leaked set box image a page or two back?  But yeah, I'm sure they also have spies withing TLG as well, LOL.  There are probably some well-respected employees who are leaking stuff out to these bootleggers.
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    Set specifically made for display in an aquarium. :p

MFing Sharks!
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,322
    Saw this online

• DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 799
    All good things come to those that wait.
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    Found some pics of the minifigs and sharks:
    https://imgur.com/a/HHDLR

• thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 252
    ^Thanks!  Great read, lots of pics!!!
    DeMontes
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    I think it looks great
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    It appears that Captain Salazar is VERY fearsome!
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,802
    Good review, odd that Lego sent them the set before posting a picture of the box/sharks themselves.
    DeMontes
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 614
    edited March 2017
    Glad you enjoyed my review over on TBB
    www.brothers-brick.com/2017/03/09/lego-pirates-caribbean-dead-men-tell-no-tales-71042-silent-mary-exclusive-review/

bandit778kezSMCCM4ScatwranglerMAGNINOMINISUMBRAthedingman5ricecakeA.Brickovsky
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,058
    @DeMontes
    Excellent and descriptive review. The more I see of this set the more I like it.
    No displaying this on glass tables though as you are right about one thing, that underside is F'ugly.
    DeMontes
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    That review has helped me revise my view and (happy to be wrong) I now think it's a far more attractive set than I'd originally thought. Still not for me. But those sharks, they're great!
    DeMontes
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 614
    @mountebankand the GHOST PIRATES! those minifigures parts are great too :-)
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,824
    That's a great, detailed review, and cements my impression that it's really more of a display piece than a playset. But what a display piece!
    DeMontes
  • karmajaykarmajay NCMember Posts: 38
    I think I'm going to get it. I just wish it had the part of the keel that touches the water and then all the missing stuff in between. Obviously that would not match with the chomping feature from the movie though.
  • lentillentil WisconsinMember Posts: 53
    I'm also more excited about it now that I've seen that review and detailed pics. It really looks like an intricate, fun, creative build! I like all the asymmetric decaying elements. And wow that's a lot of gold! The sharks look even better on close inspection. Can't wait to get this set.
    bandit778DeMontes
  • GremerGremer The Commonwealth of VirginiaMember Posts: 179
    I really like this set now. I liked it before, but the review definitely makes me want to get it.
    DeMontes
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,889
    Is anyone aware of any tie-in POTC freebies coming for this set specifically or threshold Lego purchase?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,154
    Is anyone aware of any tie-in POTC freebies coming for this set specifically or threshold Lego purchase?
    Looks like 2x VIP overlaps the very first day of early access ordering. Otherwise, the mini VW in April is the next poly.
  • cooldude00cooldude00 ukMember Posts: 44
    don't believe so - double VIP ends on 16 and early access for POTC is on 17 :(
    CM4S
    Haha really? That had to have been done on purpose lol 
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,889
    ^^ If that's the case i'll be waiting for a promo.
  • SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 764
    Maybe if you time it just right around midnight of the 16th, you might manage to get double VIP on the POTC set? :)
    Oh too bad. I thought the early VIP started on the 16th
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,097
    So the double points expires on the 16th and then this is available on the 17th?  That sounds about right, TLG promotional/marketing department does these things well.  Occassionally we may see an overlap of two or three things together but typically they bookend one another.
    edited March 2017
    If you are worried about a deal just wait until the Fall double points events. 
  • A.BrickovskyA.Brickovsky PolandMember Posts: 56
    Now after seeing the box, two sharks and many more detailed pictures of the ship itself as opposed to TLG's own poor ones, I'm in love with this set. 
    DeMontes
    nice box

SumoLegorichobandit778AanchirGlacierfalls265
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 307
    CM4S said:
    nice box
    Oh man, "Silent Mary Masthead" is my favourite pirate of the caribbean™!
    SumoLegoBumblepantscatwranglerMasterBeefyGlacierfalls265
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,562
    ^ I was thinking the same thing - that's a bit lame.  Unless the Masthead does something other than... nothing.
    SumoLego said:
    ^ I was thinking the same thing - that's a bit lame.  Unless the Masthead does something other than... nothing.
    I am guessing it at least talks or something like guiding the ship or screeching spooky stuff to scare their opponents.
    SumoLegocatwrangler
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,848
    SumoLego said:
    Based on some spoilery instruction manual scans I've seen pictured in some reviews, I can confirm it does. Even if it didn't, it'd be weird to omit a uniquely printed minifigure from a list like that. Neglecting to mention a more generic statue or skeleton fig would be more understandable.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    ^ As Aachir notes - if you check out the scans in DeMontes review you get a much better idea of the characters (and just how fearsome Captain Salazar is)
    Dedgecko
  • prettybigguyprettybigguy Bellevue, WA USAMember Posts: 20
    With some slight modifications, it looks like this could be an impressive wreck for the Deep Sea Explorers theme to explore!
    Dedgeckocatwrangler
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,531
    ^ that's why I want a second set of sails.
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 491
    I've never had a fish tank but this set makes me want to get one and display the Silent Mary at the bottom!
    A.BrickovskypookieLegopassion8CM4SMynattDedgeckobandit778Glacierfalls265catwrangler
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    ^Yesssss!!!! That's exactly what I was thinking, too. 
    How well would Lego do in a fish tank??  Sure it is relatively stable out of sunlight, but constant, cold water immersion, and do most large fish tanks require a UV lamp for the tank's ecosystem?
    Johnyk668Glacierfalls265
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 491
    A bit of extra decay would only add to the look, surely.
    catwrangler
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,899
    edited March 2017
    That sounds like an even bigger waste of  $200. However it sounds like a perfectly legit reason to buy the knockoff version. Who cares what happens to LEPIN sunk in the bottom of a fish tank.
    Glacierfalls265
    Wonder what chemicals the bricks will give off and harm the fish. 
    monkeyhangerSumoLegoGlacierfalls265TwoToneBricks
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,528
    Dad had fish tanks for small freshwater fish back in the 70s, several had Lego creations for decoration. Guppies did not seem to mind it, and I know dad would have removed them if they hurt the fish.
    MooreFXAddicted2Oxygen
    edited March 2017
    I am pretty sure if Lego bricks leeched chemicals that easily they would not be allowed for sale to children in most countries.
    stluxbluedragonSumoLegoAanchirMynattMooreFXMasterBeefycatwrangler
    Lego may be safe, but someone mentioned a clone brands.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,562
    I am pretty sure if Lego bricks leeched chemicals that easily they would not be allowed for sale to children in most countries.
    How many licks does it take to get cancer or some other exotic chemical poisoning?
    gmonkey76Pitfall69MasterBeefy