Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Movie 2 (possible spoilers)

TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
edited January 2015 in Everything else LEGO
Phil Lord and Chris Miller spoke with Empire about the sequel...

"Well I don’t want to give you spoilers but we were really interested in what happens to that boy who’s in the meta story in the first movie when he’s four years older. When he’s an adolescent how does that change his point of view?

"And to have the characters start in a different place from the first movie. Emmet, for example, was in an existential crisis of having seen another dimension and was questioning the whole point of his existence.”

I smell a Toy Story-esque dark ages story, and I say that's a good thing.
chuckpPitfall69The458rdflegosnowhitieVBaskin2008aimlesspursuitsAdeelZubaircatwranglerdspigelMegtheCat

Comments

• chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684

... I smell a Toy Story-esque dark ages story, and I say that's a good thing.

I agree, I think that's a very good thing. Pixar and Disney have been able to elevate their films to a higher level by adding emotional depth that most animated movies don't have. That depth makes them more entertaining. It would be great if Phil Lord & Chris Miller are able to add some of that magic to TLM2.
    VBaskin2008
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,150
    edited January 2015
    What if it is: The boy turns to the 'darkside' of building permanently (like his father before him) and his young sister has to snap him out of it.
    Ugh, I really hope I'm not hitting it on the head.
    gmonkey76VBaskin2008
  • empireempire BC, CanadaMember Posts: 43
    They can't hint at Duplo being the new enemy without following up on it, even though it is extremely obvious.
    VBaskin2008Elune
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    empire said:

They can't hint at Duplo being the new enemy without following up on it, even though it is extremely obvious.

But would they really want to start an inter-brand civil war? And the only real world "message" I can imagine them putting in this would be "respect your siblings" which is underwhelmingly unoriginal compared to the message of the first film, or "buy all of our stuff, it's all compatible!" which I don't see happening. I think that if the first one had an overarching message and purpose, with connection to real life builders, then this one will too.
    VBaskin2008
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,431
    All th above points are exactly why I'd prefer TLM2 to use a completely different set of characters. I'm at least hoping for some different worlds to be featured more prominantly.
    binaryeyeVBaskin2008AdeelZubairtallblocktoo
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    I think there could be some nice messages about what the world expects with growing up. Being a teacher I too often see pressure at an early age to cast away childish things (like building with Lego) for more adult pursuits such as sports. Even as parents we often give up on imagination. Think of how there comes a point where we no longer hang a child's art on the refrigerator. We no longer praise creativity. This could be a really interesting dynamic of the kid wanting to put aside childish things where as dad still "plays with toys". The trick is that theme of holding onto to childhood creativity would have to be told from Emmet and the gangs perspective with little interuption from the real world. Also they have to deal with the fact that they can't pull that surprise at the end as we all saw it in the first film. That being said I am excited to see the character return because I think there is something special about Emmet, Lucy (the artist formerly known as Wyldstyle) and the gang. I really think they should do some holiday specials with them leading up to the next film to keep them in the forefront of peoples minds. Maybe some books at least,
    rdflegoLegoKipSombuxsnowhitieVBaskin2008AdeelZubaircatwrangler
    Shib said:

All th above points are exactly why I'd prefer TLM2 to use a completely different set of characters. I'm at least hoping for some different worlds to be featured more prominantly.

I agree about different worlds....I would love to see them interact with Friends or bionicle as these would not be the same style of characters. I think the Friends one is a definite even if its just as a joke. A major Friends character who is real tough and can't stand the girlie offerings of her own line would be hysterical.
    VBaskin2008Elune
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    Saw this on the Lego Batman movie, so how about "Michael Keaton, George Clooney, Val Kilmer, Christian Bale and maybe even our latest Caped Crusader, Ben Affleck" versions of Batman featured...interesting.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/LEGO-Batman-Movie-Take-Different-Approach-Dark-Knight-69086.html
    VBaskin2008
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited January 2015
    ^ That would be fantastic.

Correction, if it would also include Adam West, it would be fantastic.
    VBaskin2008
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,150

^ That would be fantastic.

Correction, if it would also include Adam West, it would be fantastic.

Have Adam West voice the Mayor. He is used to that role.
    If this movie is anything like the vein of the games it will be fine I think
    SombuxVBaskin2008
  • OndraOndra Member Posts: 74
    edited January 2015
    Maybe we will see war between duplo and system with help from technic world(Based on that adolescent hint) .
    This would be epic!
    VBaskin2008
    ^Just awesome....you should share some pics of his creations.
    VBaskin2008
  • VBaskin2008VBaskin2008 Member Posts: 181
    I think they should add the Bionicle heroes as well Lego's lovable mascot Max in the sequel.
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,052
    So they've announced some more news about the sequel. The title is (very unorignially 'The Lego Movie Sequel' and will be directed by Rob Schrab. The first film’s directors, Philip Lord and Christopher Miller, stay on as writers and producers.

More info: http://http//www.theguardian.com/film/2015/feb/25/the-lego-movie-sequel-director-rob-schrab

I am glad Phil and Chris stay on board as writers and producers, I think they did a great job.
    VBaskin2008
  • VBaskin2008VBaskin2008 Member Posts: 181
    snowhitie said:
    So they've announced some more news about the sequel. The title is (very unorignially 'The Lego Movie Sequel' and will be directed by Rob Schrab. The first film’s directors, Philip Lord and Christopher Miller, stay on as writers and producers.

More info: http://http//www.theguardian.com/film/2015/feb/25/the-lego-movie-sequel-director-rob-schrab

I am glad Phil and Chris stay on board as writers and producers, I think they did a great job.
    For real?!
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,052
    @VBaskin2008 I did read it in the Guardian, I usually trust them....
    VBaskin2008
  • blarghiflarghblarghiflargh Member Posts: 99
    Rob Schrab is a talented guy, he created SCUD: The Disposable Assassin.
    VBaskin2008
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,694
    I wanna see a scene where Doc Brown and Marty McFly to make a dramatic entrance with the DeLorean; interrupting the scene then they discuss its the wrong time period and go back to 2015.
    VBaskin2008prevere
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    Apparently a sequel, a Batman movie and a Ninjago movie aren't enough for Warner Bros.
    There is talk of another Lego movie entitled Billion Brick Race!

For my part, I would love it to be a kind of Wacky Races style car race with a load of crazy contraptions.

http://screenrant.com/lego-billion-brick-race-movie-jason-segel-directors/
    TheLoneTensorDAVEmoonVBaskin2008
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    O_O

LEGO IS LOSING THEIR MIND!!!

They have more important matters to tend to instead of yet another movie when the first one isn't even good!!! *hides under flame sheid* The company needs to focus on more important stuff like quality problems, making MORE printed stuff and less stickered parts(with the prices the way they are, we should be having PRINTED stuff), and cool it with making more and more stupid specialized parts we DON'T need!!!

Oh, and lets not forget the talk of a lego REALITY SHOW!!! While I will plead guilty of thinking of watching it, it's more of a boredom factor watching then I want to watch it. Only series that has a season going that i'm watching is Rupaul's drag race which is currently on the "watching it b/c there's 3 queens I kind of like and I want to see the snatch game, if it comes on this year but i'm not really liking the season" list and i'm kind of watching aloha vet. Aloha Vet is currently right between the line of "boredom watching" and " this might have potential".
    VBaskin2008
  • SolariousSolarious Kalamazoo, MI, USAMember Posts: 317
    I don't know
    I'd say Lego makes a lot of loot off those movies and it has the additional factor of getting kids fired up to buy the toys
    They'd be crazy not to pursue the avenue
    VBaskin2008
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,978
    edited March 2015
    ^^WB is doing all the work. Lego is just giving approval as needed. Movies or not movies will not make any difference with regard to quality control of the building sets or other such things.

I am starting to wonder how many Lego movies can actually be stomached by the movie going public though.
    bobabricksShibLostInTranslationAdeelZubairbluemodernstluxVBaskin2008SumoLego
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,842
    I don't know about the second Lego movie. When I heard the news I was not super excited and now there are a wack of different Lego movies coming out and it's a little overwhelming. Not a lot of sequels that I watched were very good and some are very horrible. Have you heard of "Return to Oz"? If not, then you are lucky.
    LegoKipVBaskin2008

I don't know about the second Lego movie. When I heard the news I was not super excited and now there are a wack of different Lego movies coming out and it's a little overwhelming. Not a lot of sequels that I watched were very good and some are very horrible. Have you heard of "Return to Oz"? If not, then you are lucky.

I'm not excited at all. TLM has got to be the worst movie I've ever seen and that's saying a lot taking into account I had to sit through stuff like "to kill a mockingbird" and "the color purple" in school.

Up until you mentioned it, I can't honestly say that I've heard of oz but judging by the wiki, it's a weird sequel thing.

VBaskin2008
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,694
    Like Marvel and DC, LEGO have my life covered for the next few years...

LEGO Ninjago (2016)
    LEGO Batman (2017)
    The LEGO Movie 2 (2018)
    Billion Brick Race
    QuentinBrickVBaskin2008
    ^^ Wait, The Color Purple and To Kill a Mockingbird are being compared to the Lego Movie now?

I hope you are being sarcastic because if you arnt your whole argument about movies being the worst goes right out the window. Maybe if Aticus shot the rabid dog with a RPG it would have been up to your standard? A few more Kung-fu fights in a film about slavery?
    BJ21matticus_bricksChubblesbluemodernstluxVBaskin2008
  • DAVEmoonDAVEmoon Member Posts: 44
    Lego should get them producers and writers to think of a new working website
    VBaskin2008
  • EvilTwinEvilTwin UKMember Posts: 129
    I want to see the snatch game

I don't even want to Google that  :o
    OrmskirkBricksVBaskin2008
    ^After you said that I myself couldn't resist
    It's actually not at all bad
    I also expected way worse
    VBaskin2008
  • Jabba_the_TaffJabba_the_Taff Member Posts: 212
    Rob Schrab has also been heavily involved in Community, so he's got the meta angle well covered. Not that they'll care, but my worry is that the Ninjago movie doesn't have the same intrigue/nostalgia value as TLM did for adults. It's got a much harder job to do and Ninjago is the one that needs to be great or a lot of the goodwill generated by the first one will vanish. It may make more than TLM but tarnish the reputation at the same time.
    VBaskin2008
    Evil twin, snatch game is where the queens dress up as celebrities and impersonate them in a version of the snatch game.

Its a really popular thing with the fans. Bianca Del Rio did an amazing judge Judy last year.
    VBaskin2008
  • LordofLegoLordofLego Member Posts: 311
    But would they really want to start an inter-brand civil war? And the only real world "message" I can imagine them putting in this would be "respect your siblings" which is underwhelmingly unoriginal compared to the message of the first film, or "buy all of our stuff, it's all compatible!" which I don't see happening. I think that if the first one had an overarching message and purpose, with connection to real life builders, then this one will too.
    See Captain America: Civil War. I realise Lego isn't Marvel, but inter-brand fighting isn't unheard of.
    VBaskin2008
    Just saw this snippet about the Lego Movie sequel http://screenrant.com/lego-movie-2-musical-space-action/
    Bumblepantscatwrangler
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    A space musical?

Wheres Mel Brooks when yah need him?
    VBaskin2008
    So it is a Space Opera?.....Musical thing seems a bit odd....but to be fair Batman had a quite a few original songs (and a cover of man in the mirror) so music is becoming more important to the Lego movies.
    VBaskin2008
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,015
    That might be just hyperbole. Film producers and actors/crew are renowned for saying stuff like that, just to get people's interest. That the entertainment sites lap it up as gospel and make massive assumptions and guesses and predictions etc drives me mad sometimes.
    AllBrickAanchirVBaskin2008
    I don't know dude. Space & Music are trending hot in the shadow plane. Cash Out...
    VBaskin2008
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,477
    MaffyD said:
    That might be just hyperbole. Film producers and actors/crew are renowned for saying stuff like that, just to get people's interest. That the entertainment sites lap it up as gospel and make massive assumptions and guesses and predictions etc drives me mad sometimes.
    My thoughts exactly, sort of.
    I was going to use the word ruse.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    This whole thread is a bunch of hippy, dippy baloney.
    MaffyDmampepinVBaskin2008
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,890
    Baloney? Dip? Why am I hungry...
    prevereVBaskin2008
    Sorry, just saw it and thought I'd share. 
    VBaskin2008
    ^i find your links informative & entertaining especially in Pokémon Go thread. Keep up the good work.
    LostInTranslationClutchPowerVBaskin2008
    Baloney? Dip? Why am I hungry...
    Great appetizers for Taco Tuesday with Lord Biz. 

catwranglerVBaskin2008
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 923
    snowhitie said:

That article is 2 years old so may not be accurate anymore. The latest rumor seems to point to Mike Mitchell.

The sequel will be musical like, set in Space, and will have more stuff in store for Batman.

http://screenrant.com/batman-lego-movie-2-will-arnett/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0593610/?ref_=nv_sr_1

VBaskin2008
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,303
    I heard the characters enter another realm where they fight their pirated Lepin counterparts. It's getting mixed reviews as the viewers can't tell who the real "good guys" are. 
    preverecatwranglerMynattBumblepantsbandit778ClutchPowerAyliffemampepinVBaskin2008
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 317
    It's getting mixed reviews as the viewers can't tell who the real "good guys" are. 
    In my eyes there's only one true good guy...

BumblepantsClutchPowerLyichirAanchirSwitchfoot55VBaskin2008ricecake
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,015
    Sorry, just saw it and thought I'd share. 

No need to apologise! I wasn't taking a shot at you sharing - I apologise if I came across like that. I just tend to be quite cynical of movie news when a project is still in early stages of development. I read an absolute buttload of monkey crap about forthcoming movies... I should really stop, given that's what I describe it as! :-)
    ClutchPowerVBaskin2008