Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What's your favorite LEGO set?

Comments

• bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    Also love the little 8402 sports car just love the smirk on the minifigs face and the car itself is a great little build. Also love the box with the pic of the guy breaking down then having to use the SOS phone ha ha poor guy doesn't even have a cellphone. Got this tiny set at a silly price and always makes me smile as the shop totally messed up and I got 75 percent off!
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,961
    If you were stranded on a desert island with only one set, which would you choose?
    the ISD its massive takes for ever and you can mock for ages after.

What set do you have the fondest memory of?
    My very first Ventanor cruiser i made looks rubbish but im proud of it.

What set do you think you've logged the most play hours with?
    the first x-wing

What set do you regard as the most beautiful set?
    Medieval Market

If you had to choose one set to give to someone to make them a fan of LEGO, which would you choose?
    Viking fortress. there vikings people!

And in spite of all those selections, I would probably prefer this set over any of them on any given day:
    6060 Knight's Challenge
  • adello25adello25 U.S.A.Member Posts: 361
    I somewhat feel as if I taking the easy route when I say that one of my favorites is 10182- Cafe Corner but I feel that it is one of the reasons that I came out of my dark ages!

I recently graduated college and was interning for a company. When I graduated they kept me on full time. So I naturally got closer with my boss we spent more time together. She had a Lego keychain at her desk so I asked her about Lego. She told me that she has been a fan all of her life and that she has more Lego sets than I can imagine. So she showed me some pictures of her basement and there it was; Cafe Corner. I fell in love instantly! I did some research on the set and realized it was retired. However, it got me thinking about Lego again and all the fun times they provided so I went and bought the Grand Emporium on [email protected] (now that I look back, it was a poor choice, the Green Grocer was still available but then was retired not soon after). I received the Grand Emporium, built it in one night and was once again a Lego fanatic. almost a year later ( and several thousand dollars haha) i look back and realize that it is all the Cafe Corner's fault that I am indeed back!
  • Silber334Silber334 Member Posts: 147
    I like the pet shop with it's architectural design and realism. I just wish they added current lego heads instead of the old ones with a simple smilie. I'm sure there's going to be more sets out there that I may like even more, as I accumulate more items.

Man, looks like I was away for quite some time. I haven't even had time to make something original since I got my Lego sets!
  • RavenhookRavenhook Member Posts: 70
    Another hand up for the Café Corner.

Whenever I glance at it on the shelf there's something about which says "this is what adult LEGO is about".

It is also iconic in that it effectively started a new genre, where modular MOCs are soaring to new heights of creativity.
  • duilimduilim Member Posts: 61
    This is a really tough question to answer because to only pick one from a stack of literally thousands of sets is near impossible. I enjoy collecting fortresses so sets like 6080 kings castle, 6093 flying ninja fortress 7419 dragon fortress and 6769 fort legoredo rank amongst my most treasured list. In addition, I've also taken a fancy with the modular series and in particular, 10185 green grocer. But there is one set that I moved heaven and earth to get and that was 6285 black seas barracuda, a set that I it paid a fortune for on eBay since I couldn't afford it as a kid. Given that, it would have to be my favorite set of all time.
  • tdhbrtdhbr Member Posts: 188
    UCS Millenium Falcon, Fire Brigade, and old Galaxy Explorer are definitely up there. But to pick an all-time favorite, it think it would be:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=4998-1 (stegosaurus Creator set).

All 3 dinosaurs look fantastic. Plus some great colors and pieces to do other builds with. The instructions are simple enough for my 7-year-old to do (over and over and over ...), but interesting enough for me to want to help every time.

Glad I saw this thread, I was thinking of asking this question myself.
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    edited September 2011
    Came out of the dark ages in 2008 with Indiana Jones Temple Escape and that's my all time fav. set. Huge fan of Raiders so this set really caught my eye right away with all the traps and the idol at the end...man...just really captured the movie for me so I had to have and build it.
    It's been loved and played with often....strong second, Batman's Tumbler (comic fan in me couldn't resist even though it's a bit off model on the sides of the vehicle).
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    My favorite growing up was the Cosmic Cruiser
    http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6890-1
    That astronaut escaped more battles because of that hidden sled...
    But now (all grown up) my personal favorite is the MMV (with Tower Bridge a close second). Finally, my nearly six year old son is totally crazy over the SW Clone Turbo Tank (8098). Such enthusism is quickly contagious. He is counting days until the birthday!
  • vortexdragonvortexdragon Member Posts: 24
    If you were stranded on a desert island with only one set, which would you choose?
    10210 Imperial Flagship

6082 Fire Breathing Fortress

6082 Fire Breathing Fortress

10193 Medieval Market Village

If you had to choose one set to give to someone to make them a fan of LEGO, which would you choose?
    6212 X-wing Fighter

And in spite of all those selections, I would probably prefer this set over any of them on any given day:
    10193 Medieval Market Village
  • misatomisato Banned Posts: 12
    edited February 2012
    I remember the classic space sets when I was a kid. Compared to the Star Wars lego sets now, they look kind of dorky now. =D

Here is an image of the Ultimate Collector Series Millenium Falcon you said you might build some day.

Removed Signature Block: YC 2/13/12
  • evileddie1313evileddie1313 Member Posts: 126
    Galaxy Explorer, 497-1...Coolest spaceship, that was way ahead of it's time. That set got me hooked on Lego bricks.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    edited February 2012
    I remember the classic space sets when I was a kid. Compared to the Star Wars lego sets now, they look kind of dorky now. =D
    I disagree. While there were a few "dorky" looking sets back in the day, I really like the minimalism of the earlier sets, especially something like this: http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=6970-1

While I admire the intricacies of the above UC Falcon, I also think it borders on being too "modeled" looking if you know what I mean. Lego appeals to me in that it's something that you build, then take apart to MOC and then possibly re-build. I think the Creator series is really cool in this respect and I would love if they could expand it more to sets and themes like Space. If I'm trying to replicate something like the Millenium Falcon I would think that there would be better model kits besides Lego that would give me a better representation and probably be cheaper.

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited February 2012
    Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I like the Shuttle Adventurer (10213). I grew up watching the shuttle launches and love all things NASA that are space-related (does that make sense? :-) ). It is one of the few sets that I have ever purchased for full-price when it was released (normally I wait for a price drop somewhere).
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    vortexdragon
    10210 Imperial Flagship
    If I were stranded on a deserted island, I probably would not be playing with Lego. And would you actually take the IF on the plane or ship or on whatever means you got stranded by? :)
  • phantom78phantom78 Member Posts: 23
    if i had to narrow down to one set it would be 7740 Inter-City Passenger Train Set
    ^childhood memories^
  • ErnstErnst Member Posts: 133
    Although I'm a huge Castle fan this old Pirate-set (Imperial Trading Post) is my favorite :

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6277-1

• roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,360
    Almost an impossible choice but I'll go for 6394 metro park, still have my original copy
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Either 6971 Inter-Galactic Command Base or 6080 King's Castle (1984)

I remember an entire Christmas playing with 6971 - didn't even look at another toy for days. But then 6080 was the fundamental part of the 100's of various castles I made over years (and again now with my children) especially when combined with 6074 Black Falcon's Fortress. No coincidence that those three were the first sets rebuilt once I reclaimed my lego collection from my parents attic.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    If I was stranded on a desert island, I would like 10144 The Sandcrawler, as it might be practical too. :-D
  • GalidorneveragainGalidorneveragain Member Posts: 89
    6769-1: Fort Legoredo
    My old army bases, I had lots of figure which did not have any hands or arms or legs, so they were the bad 'mutant' guys! :P
    7261-Clone Turbo Tank
    4842-4th edition Hogwarts Castle
    10184-Town Plan
    7261-Clone Turbo Tank
  • DaddyWhaleDaddyWhale Member Posts: 130
    I know this thread is a bit long in the tooth. Nevertheless, here are my choices:

852293 - Castle Giant Chess Set, so I could play chess against myself (if I were alone)!

10196 - Grand Carousel, which brought me out of my dark ages

852293 - Castle Giant Chess Set, playing chess with my son

All of the modulars. If I had to choose one, it would be 10218, Pet Shop

10197-Fire Brigade, because it combines the sophistication of a toy for adults and the childhood playfulness of a fire engine

852293 - Castle Giant Chess Set, because I bought it used at a great price, and then patiently got replacements for missing pieces through bricklink. It was like bringing a withered garden back to life
  • misatomisato Banned Posts: 12
    edited April 2012
    matthew said:

While I admire the intricacies of the above UC Falcon, I also think it borders on being too "modeled" looking if you know what I mean. Lego appeals to me in that it's something that you build, then take apart to MOC and then possibly re-build. I think the Creator series is really cool in this respect and I would love if they could expand it more to sets and themes like Space. If I'm trying to replicate something like the Millenium Falcon I would think that there would be better model kits besides Lego that would give me a better representation and probably be cheaper.
    Well now c'mon. That's like saying that David Winter cottages make better model buildings in a train set than the actual models, because they look more real. Plus, let's not forget that you don't have to paint or glue anything with a Lego set. =D

I also still say the modern Legos look better. Back in the day, all Lego's basically were, were square and rectangle bricks and some slanted bricks for roof tops.

If you wanna talk about things that Lego has gotten worse at, then don't even get me started on the way too many different shades of colors Lego has now.

I mean it's ridiculous now when you don't just have black, gray and white to choose from, but now have to distinguish between black, dark gray, darker than dark gray but still not black, gray, light gray, lighter than light gray but still not white, and white. This is a bit much.

Lego doesn't need all these different shades, and I have 20/20 vision, and if I get gray bricks with one set mixed up with gray bricks from another set, then it I want to rebuild one of those sets, I now have to study evey gray piece.
  • mattheww888mattheww888 Member Posts: 87
    @TheBigGuy and @tomcatt:
    1999 was the big year for me too. I was only 13, but that's when the collecting got serious. The SW theme got released and I was like a buzzard on roadkill. So far I have every set that's been available to the general public.
  • weinnerweinner Banned Posts: 148
    I'm thinking for me my favorites would have to be the GE( I love how it looks) and the VW van with it's detail.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    It was the UCS Imperial Shuttle but then I bought the 10178 Motorized AT-AT. I just cannot stop smiling every time I see it marching across the table with Luke dangling from it :)
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,961
    @Richo i now have the image of you riding a lego sandcrawler around a desert island and chasing food on it :-D
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    I have the curse of the new collector... No need to back away, it's not contagious...right?!

My favorite sets are the ones I don't have. Alright, the thousands I don't have.
  • MultiversalMultiversal Member Posts: 29

Quoting the thread I started not being able to find this one:

As for me, I'll tend to say the Dragon Fortress from Orient Expedition holds a particular significance to me (though really, that whole line does). Also, the Winter Village Bakery was definitely a pleasure. And same goes for the Black Pearl, which I built with my brother, the Fire Temple and the most recent version of Hogwarts Castle.
  • soundczarsoundczar Member Posts: 21
    As a kid we played for hours and hours with 6375 Exxon Gas Station. As for more modern sets, probably 10027 Train Engine Shed.
  • legomyLEGGOlegomyLEGGO Member Posts: 63
    For now, I'll go with what I've built over the years.

When I was younger it was the 6054 Forestman's Hideout. It was the largest set I had, and I always loved the Castle/Kingdom theme. Couple that with the 6038 Wolfpack Renegades.

Right now, it would be any one of the modulars, from Green Grocer to Town Hall.

I can't wait to put together the Kingdoms/Troll of recent years (like MMV) and some of the recent Pirates (like IF), that I haven't put together yet. I'm sure I'll have a few more favorites.
  • dmg111dmg111 Member Posts: 40
    6941 Battrax. Blacktron forever!! My jaw literally hit the floor when I got this for Christmas one year - it was the biggest set I ever got as a child.

More recently, 7595 Army Men on Patrol.
  • weinnerweinner Banned Posts: 148
    I think my favorite set is the grand carousal,which I don't own but I love how it looks. I want it so bad.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    Tough call. As a kid, probably the Kings Castle and Black Monarchs Castle, as well as Forestmen's Hideout (many for the figs on the last one). I had the most fun creating my own castles / battles - - only real "creating" I ever did. The Caribbean Clipper and Black Seas Barracuda presented sheer fun when I built them. The big Blacktron base with the giant trans yellow shield was also awesome. For town, I think the Airport was my favorite. The plane design was simple yet elegant.

Now? The modulars. Of the modulars, I think the Pet Shop might be my favorite, though I appreciate the variety of details on each one. And the Town Plan was a hit, though I now wish the theater was modular-sized and the town hall was something else. But hey, perhaps I can transform them into a new creation . . . :).
  • PlaugePlauge Member Posts: 39
    My favorite is a small but it was my first Lego that I bought for myself at a toy store. The Space buggy a quick build and was fun to play with. Bought sometime in the early 80´s. I had more lego , but this is the one I really remember. If I dim the romantic view a little bit I loved the 6080 and 6061 castle sets. Actually I had 2 of the siege towers. Wow I really wish I had kept all the Lego.
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    edited April 2012
    From my childhood, certainly Main Street (1589) - that's my avatar. Was always and ever the centre of my town setups, with modification to make the loading building (above the arch) an apartment with window rather than the loading doors. Snack bar (675) also brings back memories!

Now, I certainly love Medieval Market Village (10193), but I also love the modular buildings, and have all except MS, PS and TH, although the last two I'll be getting this year.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    Mine used to be Cafe Corner, but now I think its Green Grocer.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    edited April 2012
    @andyscouse - lucky boy having 1589. It's a gorgeous set. I'd have loved it as a child, it's similar to the towns my sister and I built.
    I'm glad to have it now, though I'm looking to sell it on, as the reality is I prefer to have modulars etc.. on display.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 674
    The vast majority of my sets, I love and wish I could keep them displayed all the time (alas, space does not permit). If I had to sell everything and keep only one, it would probably be 497 Galaxy Explorer. This beauty was the king of classic space back in the day, and it's still my favorite space-going vehicle (yes, even better than anything in SW). Everything about this design screams "spaceship"; even if the old-style studs-up execution isn't always perfect, the overall effect is the baseline by which I judge a spaceship design today. 4 minifigs, a small car (that can be carried in the ship!), and a small base on two baseplates make this a self-contained conduit for fun.

Granted, it will be VERY tough to sell off my collection when the time comes, but 497 will probably be the last out the door.
  • mawimawi Member Posts: 1
    497 Galaxy Explorer, the one to rule them all.

I also loved the small space sets like 442, 452, etc.
    For technic, the old go cart (948?) will always feel special.

And the big yellow train set, 7740.

• beatlefan1966beatlefan1966 Florida, USAMember Posts: 31
    I love ALL the modulars for their amazing details, but my favorite is the Grand Emporium...the window washer, dressing room, toy department, skylight...SO COOL!!
  • Brick_WallBrick_Wall Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2012
  • KLOKRIECHERKLOKRIECHER GermanyMember Posts: 252
    My favourite set is the tower bridge.

• ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2012
    My fav would be my first Lego set received Christmas 1976. It was set 730, steam shovel and carrier. It was played with a lot and most of the delicate pieces broken.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 476
    edited April 2012
    The crown jewels of my collection are probably Tower Bridge and the Taj Mahal, but 10213 Shuttle Adventure has a special place in my heart as it was the very first set I got when coming out of my dark ages.
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    edited April 2012
    My favorite set is Universal Building set 722. I spent many hours with that set, the instructions had plans for a lot of different vehicles
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    For me it is also the first set I got after my dark period, Vader's TIE Advanced - 10175.
  • thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    If it had to be one... I would have to go with 6054 Forestmen's Hideout. It's so simple and elegant, and is a never ending source of nostalgia for me.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6054-1
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    Star wars Bounty Hunter Pursuit. I love the colors and the chrome mugs on the ship Anakin and Obi Wan are flying in.
  • trickydicky0880trickydicky0880 Member Posts: 134
    edited July 2012
    I'm sure this is a very redundant discussion but I'm kind of new to the Forum so I'm going to ask it anyways. I want to know what is a favorite set that you own and wouldn't expect to be as amazing as it really is.

For example, I bought the 8158 Speed Racer & Snake Oiler set and I really wasn't expecting it to be that great of a set. In fact, I wasn't expecting the Speed Racer theme be great at all because TLC didn't introduce very many rare new pieces and the movie didn't receive a lot of positive reviews. I ended up enjoying the movie though so I bought this set and now I can say that the Mach 5 (Speed Racer's car) is probably one of my most treasured sets that sits on top of my shelf.

What's yours?