Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The LEGO Ninjago Movie

Release date: September 22, 2017
"In this big-screen Ninjago adventure, the battle for Ninjago City calls to action young Lloyd, aka the Green Ninja, along with his friends, who are all secret warriors and LEGO Master Builders. Led by kung fu master Wu, as wise-cracking as he is wise, they must defeat evil warlord Garmadon, the Worst Guy Ever, who also happens to be Lloyd’s dad. Pitting mech against mech and father against son, the epic showdown will test this fierce but undisciplined team of modern-day ninjas who must learn to check their egos and pull together to unleash their true power."

A trailer is on its way, and here's a peek of the Lloyd and Lord Garmadon minifigures (sculpture form) from the Nuremberg Toy Fair!

Discuss the film and sets here.

Aanchirkiki180703

Comments

• AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 322
    you're uh

kinda jumping the gun there mate
  • TheBrickPalTheBrickPal USAMember Posts: 45
    edited February 2017
    Ayliffe said:
    you're uh

May I ask how? There's already quite a bit to talk about.
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,758
    I don't see a picture...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,298

Based on that picture, jumping the sword seems more appropriate.

Mynattpharmjodkiki180703Ayliffe
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,489
    I don't see a picture...
    Close your eyes, clear your mind, only then will an image appear.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    Whatever happened to the initial description where they said that the movie will be not based on the story of the TV show? Based on this new description it seems like the exact same thing just on a bigger screen.
    Ayliffe said:
    you're uh

it's very hard to talk about a movie when no footage of said movie has been released yet
    LostInTranslation
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,477
    @akunthita - I've not watched much of the series (can't stick the overly kiddie style) but sound different take using same source material to me. The master builder reference puts a significant difference to me, means it's very distinctly part of the LEGO Movie universe, which isn't surprising at all.
    Legopassion8
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    Ayliffe said:
    Ayliffe said:
    you're uh

it's very hard to talk about a movie when no footage of said movie has been released yet
    And no set images yet either. Plenty to talk about then(!)  :-) 
    SprinkleOtterClutchPowerkiki180703
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,294
    Doubtless the teaser will arrive Feb. 10th attached to some other cartoon debuting that day.
    LegogramAyliffeThe_Mad_Vulcankiki180703
    Shib said:
    @akunthita - I've not watched much of the series (can't stick the overly kiddie style) but sound different take using same source material to me. The master builder reference puts a significant difference to me, means it's very distinctly part of the LEGO Movie universe, which isn't surprising at all.

Yes, I noticed that reference to Master Builders, but that's pretty much it. The original description mentioned that the movie will include live action and will have nothing or little to do with the plot of the TV show. But now it seems like pretty much the same.

This was the original announcement in 2013: http://https//youtu.be/f31XQfSVWs8

And this is the current description from Wikipedia: "6 ninja are "hired" by an old Sensei (Jackie Chan) and become the "heroes" at night. Defeating monsters and riding awesome vehicles. But, at day, they face their greatest enemy yet: High School. Meanwhile, a hungry warlord (Justin Theroux) plots for revenge on his brother, Wu, who was the Sensei that trained the ninja."

• nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 908
    ^Maybe they realised that that plot sounded crap? I mean my dad wants to see Lego Batman due to the level of humour, cant see that humour fitting into the above plot
    nexander said:
    ^Maybe they realised that that plot sounded crap? I mean my dad wants to see Lego Batman due to the level of humour, cant see that humour fitting into the above plot

Yeah, that very well could be. There is a whole generation that grew up on Ninjago, and they would want to see the characters they are already familiar with, not some silly high-school flick.

For older LEGO fans Ninjago doesn't have much meaning, so they would probably just go to see it for the sake of their kids.

I'm just curious of how they will handle this film as the information revealed so far has been very conflicting. Also, I'm wondering if two LEGO films in a year is too much. Even Star Wars only gets one.  

• 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    All. Those. Sand. Green.

:o
    ClutchPowerMynattDedgeckoGalactus
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,592
    akunthita said:
    Whatever happened to the initial description where they said that the movie will be not based on the story of the TV show? Based on this new description it seems like the exact same thing just on a bigger screen.
    no mention of snakes. and in the tv show it was more like lloyd against the overlord.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 967
    Doubtless the teaser will arrive Feb. 10th attached to some other cartoon debuting that day.
    It's possible that one may even debut sooner—February 5th is the Super Bowl, which may be fairly irrelevant for non-Americans (it's just a big American football game) but is generally one of the biggest and most prominent days of the year for TV advertisements in this country. A lot of companies schedule brand-new advertisements for new and upcoming releases for that event (including major movie studios like Disney and Warner Bros.), so a trailer for the Ninjago movie being released then isn't too far-fetched (though it's not really a certainty, either).
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,979
    Fauch said:
    akunthita said:
    no mention of snakes. and in the tv show it was more like lloyd against the overlord.
    The movie seems to be re-imagining the fight between the Ninja and Lord Garmadon, which was the plot of the pilot of the TV show (before Lloyd, the snakes, or the Overlord were introduced). However, the fact that Lloyd, Koko/Misako, and Ninjago City will be playing big roles in this conflict at all is proof that it will be "a new take that diverges from the story of the TV show" (which is how the original description mentioned above was phrased).

The new designs for Lloyd and Garmadon are pretty great, although to be honest I don't quite like Lloyd's design as much as many of his other costumes from previous waves. The torso feels kind of tame/realistic, without any fancy icons or symbols. The colored eyes are a creative touch, though.

Some of the people involved with the theme have been teasing that there might be a trailer soon… I wonder if it will be in front of the LEGO Batman Movie, or sooner. My brother recently pointed out that the Super Bowl is coming up at the end of this week, and a lot of companies release new movie trailers around that time.
    ClutchPowerSprinkleOtter
    but he didn't have 4 arms in the pilot. he looks like the overlord possessed garmadon
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 967
    Fauch said:
    but he didn't have 4 arms in the pilot. he looks like the overlord possessed garmadon
    And Lloyd wasn't a ninja yet then, either. That's the point—the new movie is not a strict retelling of the theme's origins so much as a reimagining, and that means that details are subject to change or be recombined in new ways.

For what it's worth, I believe I remember seeing an early concept artwork for the theme that featured Ninja versus Garmadon in a very urban setting, in which Garmadon already had four arms and the Ninja (who in the theme's first year relied largely on dragons and more traditional weapons/technology) were already riding high-tech vehicles. Can't seem to track it down now, though...
    ClutchPower
  • JakeTheJailbirdJakeTheJailbird USAMember Posts: 9
    edited February 2017
    Here's a keychain of Sensei Wu in his TLNM outfit. (source: CM4Sci)
    77ncaachampskiki180703
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,367
    edited February 2017
    Ok something's going on with the image below.. sorry to repost

From Promobricks!

ClutchPowerPenkid11stluxkiki180703
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 789
    Garmadon is just incredible.

I feel like seeing him as his Lordly self again is like meeting an old friend I haven't seen in forever.
    CM4SAanchirClutchPower
  • ClutchPowerClutchPower Austin, TexasMember Posts: 220
    neat helmet. finally a really good minifig for garmadon?
    The set list we got a while back is 100% fake, so now we're back to square one.
    Penkid11
    AyliffeAanchirClutchPowerAllBrickkiki180703Penkid11
    Ooh! I quite like these character designs, although Zane's hair and face sort of gives me a badly rendered early LEGO PC game vibe. :P Maybe that's a deliberate choice to sort of evoke a "digitized" look. The green printing on Lloyd's outfit (which was sort of lost in the shadows in the previous image of him) is great and helps keep the black from becoming overwhelming. The hairstyles are new and unique, but the characters are still recognizable for who they're based on. Jay's design actually kind of reminds me of some of the Jay fan art I've seen on Tumblr. Kind of sad he lost his red hair, though.

Kind of bothered that the movie is seemingly going with pseudo-Asian scribble writing rather than actual Japanese. In fact, it seems to be just a cipher applied to English words. Kai's outfit says "Fire", Zane's says "Ice", Nya's says "Water", etc. Lloyd's seems to just say "Ninja".
    CM4SClutchPowerLyichirPenkid11
    Aanchir said:
    although Zane's hair and face sort of gives me a badly rendered early LEGO PC game vibe. :P Maybe that's a deliberate choice to sort of evoke a "digitized" look. 
    Haha this is so accurate! 

I for one.. I'm.. a little "eh" towards these designs, they're not bad but they're pretty different to me. I'll get used to them, though :) I just hope we get some of that hair in the sets, I think Lloyd's could be a possible alternative to Episode 3 Anakin Skywalker.
    ClutchPower
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 795
    Wouldn't it be in Lego's best interest to keep them more or less looking the same? Why change Jay and Cole's hair? I predict a lot of confused children.
    CM4S said:
    Aanchir said:
    although Zane's hair and face sort of gives me a badly rendered early LEGO PC game vibe. :P Maybe that's a deliberate choice to sort of evoke a "digitized" look. 
    Haha this is so accurate! 

I for one.. I'm.. a little "eh" towards these designs, they're not bad but they're pretty different to me. I'll get used to them, though :) I just hope we get some of that hair in the sets, I think Lloyd's could be a possible alternative to Episode 3 Anakin Skywalker.
    I have no doubt this hair will be showing up in the sets — The LEGO Movie and LEGO Batman Movie sets were quite generous with new molds and I don't really expect this movie to be any different.
    here's a better, wider version of that pic:

As for the designs... I actually really really like how unique they all look overall. Giving Nya her own outfit colour solves the problem the show's had with flicking her between dark red and light blue, the new hairpieces are hella nice (the excessiveness on some 'em really give me anime vibes, especially whatever's going on with Kai), and the uniqueness between the outfits is so, so welcome. 

All in all: give me this film ASAP
    AanchirCM4SBumblepantsClutchPowerkiki180703LyichirPenkid11
    I first thought Cole was Dareth. and Lloyd is weird, reminds me more of his younger evil self.
    Aanchir said:
    Zane's hair and face sort of gives me a badly rendered early LEGO PC game vibe. :P Maybe that's a deliberate choice to sort of evoke a "digitized" look.

Funny you say that, 'cos Dash's hair in the Alpha Team game is practically a dead ringer for Zane's new hair:

AanchirCM4SPenkid11ClutchPower
  • WananekoWananeko GranadaMember Posts: 13
    edited February 2017
    I only buy Ninjago sets when I really like minifigs or pieces so I can't say I'm a big fan, but I'm excited for this movie and the new sets it will bring. I'm loving the new hair pieces seen in that frame of the movie...and really hoping they translate well into actual pieces!
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 806
    Blegh I was hoping the movie would be a continuation of the TV show instead.
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    I'm excited for this...not a big Ninjago fan, but enjoy it enough. Zane is by far my favorite, but not so sure I like his design.
    Trailer tease time!

Aanchir
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 800
    edited February 2017
    For some reason the image is making me think of:

And I have no idea why...

HERE WE GO
    CM4SLyichirAanchirClutchPowerPenkid11stlux
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,758
    edited February 2017
    MMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEECCCCHHHHHSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ricecake
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 459
    Part of me thinks they should have kept this for next year, two big Lego movies in the same year after years of nothing might be a bit much
    Chubbles said:
    Part of me thinks they should have kept this for next year, two big Lego movies in the same year after years of nothing might be a bit much
    Well it was originally intended for last year, but got pushed back to this year for reasons unknown (hence why Day of the Departed was heavily rushed to fill the summer 2016 gap it left).
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    I'm not a Ninjago fan but the preview looks great. Definitely going to see it and would love to buy some sets.
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,262
    SQUEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,477
    I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm not a fan of the Ninjago TV series and only have a couple of sets from the theme (mainly dragons) and was worried about how using a specific existing LEGO theme for a full film, but it looks to me like they've translated it well.

I'm sure there'll be some hardcore Ninjago fans moaning about changes to characters/existing story but frankly they need the mass appeal that they could only get this way rather than either exactly remaking or continuing the cartoon.

Good to see the humour is looking consistent across the LEGO movies, and I've already noted a few potentially interested no sets/new minifig parts that could be possible.
    stlux
  • WananekoWananeko GranadaMember Posts: 13
    I'm in love with what I'm seeing. I've read people complaining because it does not follow the TV show, but since I don't watch it that's not a problem to me. I love the re-design of the characters and the backgrounds in the trailer. Damn, my mouth is watering just to think of the cool sets this movie's going to bring...
    In summary:

so it's ninjago made sillier?
    Hey UK people, ready for some bad news? The film comes out nearly a month late in the UK for, as far as I can see, literally no reason:

*sigh*
    Dedgecko