Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

71042 Pirates of the Caribbean D2C

CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 333
edited January 2017 in Collecting
Hello everybody, 
So I made a video discussing all the POTC news, rumors, etc up to now. Since I can't seem to find another thread discussing the new ship that's coming soon, here it is.

CM4Skiki180703rustys6245

Comments

• AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,621
    The discussion started on the following thread...

http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/24229/leaks-and-more-leaks/p22
    CaptainPirateMankiki180703madforLEGO
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,026
    Nice analysis! Very helpful.
    CaptainPirateMankiki180703
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,582
    What is the new news? Is it just that grainy picture still.
    SumoLegokiki180703madforLEGO77ncaachamps
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,777
    The news is that someone posted a video about the blurry box.
    Mynatt77ncaachampsARo2891BrownRiceMafiaTheBigLegoskiTheMaker37
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,739
    Oh who knew new news could be that exiting. 
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 333
    edited January 2017
    Well it IS exciting news to POTC and Pirate fans in general. We only get a new pirate ship every few years, so THIS blurry pic is the first real conformation from Lego that we have received.

I understand that to a lot folks this isn't very exciting information. But you have to understand that there is a faction of Lego fans that exist that are Pirate and Castle Lego fans, and unfortunately we don't get NEW sets very often anymore. So ANY news reguarding those themes is a BIG deal to us. 

I, personally love city type sets as well, but if I'm honest they only really tide me over until a new Pirate or Castle wave gets announced. So bottom line, year in and year out only a handful of new sets really intrest me. Well in 2017 we are getting a BIG new ship!! We don't get NEW deathstars, modulars, star destroyers, etc, etc every single year.
    yys4uDeMontes
    I appreciate your enthusiasm.

(And we do get a new modular each year.  But we get the same Death Star every year.)
    TheOriginalSimonB77ncaachampsPenkid11bobabricksMegtheCatBrownRiceMafia
    Well it IS exciting news to POTC and Pirate fans in general. We only get a new pirate ship every few years, so THIS blurry pic is the first real conformation from Lego that we have received.

I understand that to a lot folks this isn't very exciting information. But you have to understand that there is a faction of Lego fans that exist that are Pirate and Castle Lego fans, and unfortunately we don't get NEW sets very often anymore. So ANY news reguarding those themes is a BIG deal to us. 

You titled the thread new news. This is old news.
    77ncaachampsARo2891BrownRiceMafia
    Ok, gotcha. My apologies.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    I agree with @CaptainPirateMan that this thread is helpful for discussing a set that may have a lot of interest. It has a lot going for it being a D2C, licensed, pirate ship, continuation of an oft neglected theme (Pirates), etc.  

Sets like this will tend to produce more discussion and analysis so having to limit the discussion to the leaks and more leaks thread makes conversation about this yuge ship harder as you have to wade through 22 pages or more to see all the comments about the ship.  Now anybody can search the thread titles and find discussion  on the ship a lot easier. 
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,739
    I think the mods have edited it. So that this becomes the POC thread. 

The issue is we know next to nothing about the film and ships other than it will be awful. So it's hard to guess off of a blurry random picture anything that is going on. 

It seems unlikely, as has been suggested, that it will break in half. What it could be is collapsable masts like some of the older pirate sets. It certainly won't be any bigger than the current ships and no where near the IF. 
    catwrangler
    We DO know some things about the film though, most notably the two new bad guy ships, The Dying Gull and Silent Mary. The Silent Mary is the larger of the two ships, so that lends its self MORE likely that is what this set is. 

The 2nd option we can't rule out is the Flying Dutchman. It is STILL very possible that's what this set is. But I for one, feel the Silent Mary is more likely though, but I could be wrong. 

As I stated in the video, I think we can rule out the BP and QAR though.
    SumoLego
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,052
    i think getting another pirate ship is going to be phenomenal.  Might not be a "classic" pirate ship but alas I'll bite!

CaptainPirateMankiki180703gmonkey76
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    I do believe I started a thread on this subject back in October, the day the teaser trailer was released. ;)

http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/24834/lego-pirates-of-the-caribbean-returning-for-2017#latest

CaptainPirateMankiki180703CCC
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 353
    sorry for this silly question, but what is D2C?
  • sonatine01sonatine01 EnglandMember Posts: 471
    @arathemis direct to consumer.
    arathemis
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 353
    and what does that mean?
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,433
    @arathemis that you can only get it at a LEGO Store or the LEGO Website.
    arathemisSumoLego
  • Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen Somewhere behind all the boxes of LegoMember Posts: 308
    I am really looking forward to this set. Having only recently returned to Lego I have missed out on the big ships.

My guess is that this will be a new ship from the film rather than a repeat of a previous set as @CaptainPirateMan suggests. It does look like it only has one mast though. Maybe there is a 2nd one under the big ?
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,439
    I understand that there are Lego-user channels that want to break the news to their followers. I also understand that people are free to speculate about whatever it is that the rumors, leaked pics, etc. may show.

But if I hold up a paper bag and talk about the awesome thing that's inside of there but you can't see it, well, it's still just a paper bag that your viewers see.

Kinda waste of time, imo.
    If I don't see anything in the first 30 sec, I close the video.
    SumoLegogratefulnat
    ^ Then you missed the part where he pulled out a paper bag and talked about what might be in the bag.  It was awesome.
    77ncaachamps
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,673
    edited February 2017

I am guessing pictures can't be that faraway.

MasterBeefySeanTheCollectorDedgeckoCM4Sbobabricks
    I think it will be likely seen at New York Toy Fair. The film hits cinemas in the UK in May so a bit of a lead in to get people excited for "POC 5: Why did we make this?" 
    Pitfall69pharmjodYodaliciousLEGO_Dad77
    I do believe I started a thread on this subject back in October, the day the teaser trailer was released. ;)

http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/24834/lego-pirates-of-the-caribbean-returning-for-2017#latest

Which is possibly more useful. I find single threads that discuss a (small) theme much more useful than a single thread for each set within the theme.

Although then the structure is more eurobricks style, where once you are used to it you know where to look for information. Whereas here, everything gets lumped together as collecting.
    ^ My thread on the Angry Birds Movie set #75821 was completely useless.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,372
    SMC said:

I am guessing pictures can't be that faraway.

Hopefully it isn't far far away ;)
    CM4STyresOFlahertySumoLegoClutchPower
  • DawnDawn GoldMember Posts: 247
    @Pitfall69 , are you implying you know something about a Shrek license any leaks ? ;-)
    CM4SJern92
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,372
    ^I am not implying I know anything because we all know I know nothing :)
    gmonkey76pharmjodCM4S77ncaachampsSumoLegoClutchPowerBrownRiceMafia
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,288
    edited February 2017
    Dawn said:
    @Pitfall69 , are you implying you know something about a Shrek license any leaks ? ;-)
    It's not ogre yet! :P
    BumblepantsPitfall69SumoLegoClutchPowerPenkid11
  • josekaleljosekalel Rio Grande Valley, TexasMember Posts: 680
    Can't wait to get some sets...like I've mentioned before, I missed on buying some sets while Walmart had them on clearance, but not this time ;)
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,148
    Exactly. Disney knows *very* well why they made a 5th one.
    gmonkey7677ncaachampsSumoLegoYodaliciousClutchPower
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    josekalel said:
    Can't wait to get some sets
    In that case you're on the wrong thread.
    Pitfall69
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    @CaptainPirateMan I support your thread Cap'n! I'm a huge pirate fan myself, and have at times resorted to buying Ninjago pirate ships to get my pirate ship fix (its not the same) so any news on upcoming pirate related stuff is welcomed. The Queen Anne's Revenge is one of the best pirate ships LEGO has ever made, here's hoping we get some more great sets!
    CaptainPirateMan
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    I could have sworn their was Black Pearl rehash  rumor floating around awhile back. Supposedly it's a little smaller than the last one is all I remember reading about it. 

I really hope that rumor is true. The QAR was cool as hell, but the BP was the ultimate pirate ship imo. I sold the two I had bc I like money... But I always hoped there would be another one. 
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,268
    a little smaller? isn't it supposed to cost twice as much?
  • Patrik78Patrik78 Member Posts: 140
    edited February 2017
    Hmmm, Early Access to New Exclusive LEGO set"S" - so we get more sets at once, there probably is something more than the POTC set to come the same day?
    LostInTranslation
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    edited February 2017
    Fauch said:
    yeah after a little more reading it appears the rumor I was referring to was just that - a rumor.  Supposedly there is only going to be one PotC set released and it's this one - a D2C. So a smaller BP doesn't make sense if that is the case.

I really hope we see another BP at some point though.  
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,512
    Patrik78 said:
    Hmmm, Early Access to New Exclusive LEGO set"S" - so we get more sets at once, there probably is something more than the POTC set to come the same day?
    Oooh good spot of the plural! Usually the early access sets are the big D2Cs so I wonder what the other(s) could be? 
    stlux said:
    Exactly. Disney knows *very* well why they made a 5th one.
    And a 6th one...
    Yodalicious
  • leego76leego76 Chandlers FordMember Posts: 360
    Fauch said:

This is becoming standard practice!  Definitely not mutually exclusive..
    yys4u said:
    @CaptainPirateMan I support your thread Cap'n! I'm a huge pirate fan myself, and have at times resorted to buying Ninjago pirate ships to get my pirate ship fix (its not the same) so any news on upcoming pirate related stuff is welcomed. The Queen Anne's Revenge is one of the best pirate ships LEGO has ever made, here's hoping we get some more great sets!
    Thanks. I knew there were more of us out there.
    ClutchPower
  • JakeTheJailbirdJakeTheJailbird USAMember Posts: 9
    Patrik78 said:
    Hmmm, Early Access to New Exclusive LEGO set"S"
    Oooh good spot of the plural!
    According to just2good: "three POTC sets - including the two BrickHeadz"
    LostInTranslationDedgeckoJern92stlux
  • madejp86madejp86 IllinoisMember Posts: 234
    So I just got my two POTC ships, Black Pearl and Queen Annes Revenge, off ebay. So much want!
    catwrangler
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,512
    Oh BrickHeads... That's rather disappointing. 
    CircleKCaptainPirateManClutchPowergmonkey76CM4SSumoLegopharmjodDedgeckoBrownRiceMafia
    ^ Because we need yet another version of Capt. Jack Sparrow?

Maybe there's a Duplo or weird-sized Technic figure on the horizon.
  • Glacierfalls265Glacierfalls265 USAMember Posts: 236
    My friends have come to associate Johnny Depp = Eyeliner now, after watching him in POTC, Dark Shadows, and Alice in Wonderland lol