Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Marbled LEGO bricks and other parts...

Comments

• rolyateelrolyateel Member Posts: 40
    Hi, I'm new to this forum but have discovered these old marbled bricks in my parents garage. Most likely these will have been obtained in either the late 60's or 70's in either Glasgow or Edinburgh. I've spotted info regarding Grangemouth bricks, but these seem to be different marbled colours than those. Does anyone have any ideas? I may wish to sell them but need to understand what they are first.
    Thanks in advance.
    Just pm'd you
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,100
    Welcome to the group @DavidMason !!    I'm going to post this image in a Flickr group I belong in that collects 2x4 bricks.  Let me see what they may say.....
    DavidMason
  • DavidMasonDavidMason GlasgowMember Posts: 4
    I've taken a better photo of these bricks. I'm not sure which is my favourite as there are so many different colours.
    I'm happy to consider selling as a whole or individually. There are 3 clear ones and a milky jade colour at the front, all the rest are marbled.
    i can now confirm they are all from the late 60's or very early 70's.
    AllBrickstlux
  • WoutRWoutR NetherlandsMember Posts: 43
    edited November 2015
    DavidMason said:
    I've taken a better photo of these bricks. I'm not sure which is my favourite as there are so many different colours.
    I'm happy to consider selling as a whole or individually. There are 3 clear ones and a milky jade colour at the front, all the rest are marbled.
    i can now confirm they are all from the late 60's or very early 70's.
    Hi DavidMason,
    What an amazing find!

I noticed Istokgs copy of your image at Flickr and I am convinced that these are Grangemouth bricks, but containing previously unknown colors. I was already expecting that more colors would be found.

The 4 bricks at the bottom might be different, but from this photo it is difficult to identify them.

All the information I have about the Grangemouth bricks is shown on my Flickr page:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/16031532919/in/album-72157648936541745/

If you want to confirm that they are Grangemouth bricks, look for the mold numbers F1 to F4 inside. (If you find different numbers, you might have found something new).
    If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask (here or on Flickr) and we will do our best to find the answer!

If you are willing to sell these bricks, I am sure that many people will be interested.
  • Stuart9Stuart9 WorcestershireMember Posts: 27
    There certainly will be interest in these if you are selling.
    Fantastic find whether Grangemouth or not,we've been looking for more from that location and these may be just that.
    I've had a look for the numbers on the inside of the bricks. The central cylinder on the underside has 'pat. pend' above and below it. Some bricks have no other codes at all. Some have '10' to the left, and '0' to the right. Others have '1' to left and '11' to the right. None seem to have 'F' as a prefix.
    This I suspect may mean they are something other than Grangemouth bricks?...
    Or a second mold that was used at that location...

I think I have not seen that combination of mold numbers before. Very interesting!
    The pat pend above and below the central cylinder is normal for that time period. There have been many, many different mold numbers. Most molds from this period have a mold number and a position number ranging from 1 to 20 or 24.

If you only find these two number combinations it could mean that is was a small mold made specially for testing, like the F1-F4 mold with 4 bricks. That mold was used to test a material sample before the entire batch was delivered to LEGO.
    MinifigInSpace
  • DerpybricksDerpybricks AustraliaMember Posts: 2
    Definitely interested in atleast one of these, particularly a black red and white if you are considering selling. I was just saying on Flickr that the injection pattern is identical to the original G's so for the same nozzle location and injection speed/temp is no coincidence. Also with Lego at the time, it makes sense that black was available on top of the original Red/Yellow/Blue/White and others that are already known. This fits the bill in most ways. 
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,100
    @DavidMason  here you go, the Flickr conversation... (and premature haggling! ;-) )...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/istokg/22832573285/
    Derpybricks
    Let the fun begin.
    You know all too well,we're all mad.
    DavidMasonDerpybricksNateF
  • DerpybricksDerpybricks AustraliaMember Posts: 2
    Indeed. So David, are you now part of the non-existent 2x4 club? I feel this is a worthy initiation =P.
  • NateFNateF MinnesotaMember Posts: 28
    Just saw David's picture on Flickr. Very cool! 
    Thanks for all the input guys, and messages. I'll stick an image on later with the bricks all numbered and let you know which has which code on the inside.
    Thanks,the markings are being studied by a number of us on all these bricks at these very moment.
    These appear to be new one's.

Thanks for all the input guys, and messages. I'll stick an image on later with the bricks all numbered and let you know which has which code on the inside.
    I would appreciate that, thanks!
    edited January 2017
    Nice. Those are amazing!

Could you tell me which letters are inside?
    And did the woman tell you more about their history?
  • FishFish Old WardenMember Posts: 5
    edited January 2017
    The Multicoloured ones have f1 f2 f3 & f4 inside the bricks above the first and 3rd inner tubes and pat pending above and below he 2nd tube.

The red and light blues are small logo bricks with D internal marks and the mixed marbled blocks and the 2 odd blue bricks have D 1/20 at the ends of the inner tubes and the navy blues all have F1/4

Sorry I have been asked not to publish personal information of the People I got them from.
    Thank you for your reply!

I completely understand that you cannot share personal information, but if you have some background stories on how or when these were made that you can share we would love to hear them.

Do those "black mixed color" bricks also have F1 to F4 inside? They remind me of bricks that have been found with the letter O and numbers.

WoutR said:
    Thank you for your reply!

I completely understand that you cannot share personal information, but if you have some background stories on how or when these were made that you can share we would love to hear them.

Do those "black mixed color" bricks also have F1 to F4 inside? They remind me of bricks that have been found with the letter O and numbers.

The Marbled ones were made in the late 70s and I dont know much more than the operator used to mold bags of mixed beads during overtime, He got in a bit of trouble over it. They only have F1/4 embossed internally. I have about 100 of them and loads of lightly marbled ones in the odd red and blue colours and the mixed block.
    Thanks. That matches what we have been told about these bricks earlier:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/16031532919/in/album-72157648936541745/

Fantastic find, i've a number of these myself.
    Any info regarding these bricks is always welcome, we all understand that you can't give out anything personal.
    Wouter  does a lot of research on Lego moulds etc and some of us try to help where we can.
    If you ever consider selling any, i would be interested.
    I have "read" that they're (In the authors opinion) worth £80 each. Any info would be much appreciated. I may be tempted to part with them.
    Not sure where that value comes from but they are certainly worth selling individually or as sets of 4 similarly marbled bricks e.g. F1 - F4.
    I honestly very much doubt you'll get any interest at £80 each. 
    The highly marbled are the main interest, any lesser marbled or single colour bricks will be a lot less in value.
    Fish
    It was a link I followed from a forum post that offered the value in Dollars. I'm sure it wasn't this forum.
    They will sell for a good price but the more that turn up the less rare they become, there will be a price that they level out at but your guess is as good as mine as to where that will be.
    Fish
    Fish said:
    It was a link I followed from a forum post that offered the value in Dollars. I'm sure it wasn't this forum.
    Maybe you could find an asking price like that, but I know these bricks sold for a lot less than £80. I have sent you a message.
    Fish
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 582
    @Fish What a beautiful collection, thanks for sharing the images with us. I'm afraid £80 is way beyond my price range but I love looking at them longingly!! Can't believe I am Scottish but don't have any family or friends who have an ex LEGO machinist in the family
    Fizyx
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 894
    They look great. I live about 15 drive from grangemouth and never seen being sold etc :( I always keep my eyes and ears open though!
    I wonder if an advertisement in a local newspaper would yield any results...
    @WoutRyes yes. It would probably result in a shed load of Megablocks being delivered to your home for a high price :-)
    FishFizyx
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 894
    WoutR said:
    I wonder if an advertisement in a local newspaper would yield any results...
    I wouldn't want to alert everyone about them as scalpers would take the piss. I see them as the local areas part in legos history, not as beer money :) I do have an idea though but its more long term and involves some luck and some charm!
    Good luck!

I would happily accept a load of clone bricks if a few of these bricks are mixed in and the price is right :-)
  • floridabrickfloridabrick Central FLMember Posts: 158
    @nexander you'll never get me lucky charms!
    nexander
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,440
    Was sorting assorted lots today and found this.
    not sure if the marble was on purpose.

would this be considered a marbled brick?

Yes, it is marbled. This one is intentional.
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,440
    Thank you! Didn't recognize the piece though I remembered this thread!
  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 495
    So I've been reading about the older lego bricks and between these marbled ones and the teststeine bricks im intrigued at getting some to put in my display case. I couldn't find them on bricklink and the marbled bricks are scarce on ebay with a wide range of prices. The teststeine ones on eBay feel like they are higher than they should be. What are fair prices to pay for these and is there a reliable place to get these?
    Well test bricks are easy to find on bricklink. They have a separate listing so you should look for them under 3001special. Not all test bricks are from the same place. Bayer, BASF, and Lego itself all made test bricks. Generally the rarer the brick and the more interesting it looks determine how much someone will pay. Fair price would be where the buyer and seller agree.  if you want a set of Bayer ABCD bricks in yellow or blue it wouldn't cost much at all, I have plenty. The 2x4 collectors are a reliable source for test bricks and knowledge about them. Marbled bricks are still going to be hard to get because collectors tend to prize them in their collection but they do come up for sale sometimes.
    Jackad7
    Some of the bricks on ebay are in my opinion heavily overpriced but unless you are lucky, they are not cheap.
    There are a number of us that collect many versions of these bricks including the slotted versions so competition is strong.
    Your best bet is to look out for them occasionally turning up on BL or getting to know the collectors who may sell or more often trade them.
    They do turn up here too.
    Many of the bricks in the post immediately above are for sale in Stuart’s bricklink store. https://store.bricklink.com/Stuart9?p=Stuart9
    Switchfoot55
  • MinifigInSpaceMinifigInSpace USAMember Posts: 6
    Several months back I was at a used LEGO bulk store and found a brick I have never seen before or since. It is a 2x3 marbled plate in practically unused condition. It's colors are olive green and yellow marbled together. I have done some researching but cannot find anything on marbled 2x3 plates. It has the "newer" LEGO logo on the studs. It also has a single number 5 and a single number 40 on the bottom. Does anyone know if there any other marbled 2x3 plates known to be in existence? Is this possibly from an official set... or is it a newer brick prototype? Is this a rare brick? Thanks!

DeMontesLittleLorikiki180703madforLEGO
    @MinifigInSpace

You can just about find most LEGO parts marbled if you look hard enough but that is not from an official set.  They are relatively rare of course but lots are out in the wild and there are people (like me) who collect such things of beauty.

Take a look at this album for some examples: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157693612730035

Let me know if you are up for a trade ;-)

KungFuKennyLittleLoriMinifigInSpace
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,141
    Several months back I was at a used LEGO bulk store and found a brick I have never seen before or since. It is a 2x3 marbled plate in practically unused condition. It's colors are olive green and yellow marbled together.

It could well be black rather than olive green. When you have only a small amount of black it looks like that. Especially important if you are using it to try to date the part.
    LittleLoriDeMontesMinifigInSpacekiki180703
    CCC said:
    Several months back I was at a used LEGO bulk store and found a brick I have never seen before or since. It is a 2x3 marbled plate in practically unused condition. It's colors are olive green and yellow marbled together.

It could well be black rather than olive green. When you have only a small amount of black it looks like that. Especially important if you are using it to try to date the part.
    I agree CCC, I also thought it was Black/Yellow marbling.
    MinifigInSpace